SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Eleven10: 30 months off Prozac

Eleven10

• Administrator

Eleven10, how did you go from 2mg to 3mg? When did you do this? Please update your signature.

You do not have low serotonin, that's impossible. If you've had persistent exhaustion throughout your life before drugs, you might have some kind of vitamin or mineral deficiency, a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, or perhaps a thyroid problem. When was the last time you had a full blood panel checking all these conditions?

Low B12 is very common, have you looked into this? Do you eat lots of green leafy vegetables? That's where you get folates.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Just trying to work out how to update my sig on my iPhone.

im taking just 2mg of liquid Prozac. 

Im very anxious but don’t want to blame the Prozac. I’m think it my be my nerves and worrying if I’m doing the right thing 

iv had exhaustion since I had anorexia at 18.  I woke up with it and it was persistent until I started Prozac then went away. 

It’s now worse much worse. I understand seratonin can’t be low as there are no set levels but I do always feel there has been a physical aspect to my depression.

iv had lots of blood tests. Everything is always perfect. 

I dont know if to stay at 2 or move up? 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Restarted 2mg of prozac 26.8.18..

Start up causes anxiety as it increases serotonin

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

Has it effected other withdrawal symptons you had?

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

No.jusy dizzy and can’t sleep at all. But that happens whenever I’m over worried 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

mood lifted despite anxiety? How is your CNS reacting?

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

Just realised that is a bit of stupid question, ignore the last post

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

• Administrator

Eleven10, how did you go from 2mg to 3mg? When did you do this? What was the effect on your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I’m still taking 2mg. Have taken it for 5 days. My sleep has changed in that it takes me a lot longer to get to sleep but slept a bit later. Before I would fall asleep fast but wake through the night and very early. 

Im wondering if to go up 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Hi Eleven10,

You say you've been on 2mg for 5 days, but you mentioned you had begun 2mg liquid Prozac on 18 August, 2 weeks ago 

(and your signature says 3mg). When did you begin 2mg?

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

Hi

sorry.

i actually started on the 26th so 6 day

iv been trying to sort my sig but can’t change it on my phone ??

the sig is wrong it’s just 2mg for 6 days

iv not slept in 4 days but it’s not the drugs it’s the endless worrying I’m doing the wrong thing. 

I keep having flashbacks to when I first came off the drug and how ill I was. I remember those days and it’s terrifying 

i couldnt walk or talk talk or even stand. My brain was upside down with a fear I can’t explain. All I could do was squirm around in bed in mental torture. 

even though I’m desperately ill now. The thought of being like that again is what’s causing these cortisol spikes. 

I know nobody can fix this but I really don’t know what to do.. I don’t know if I can mentally take a drug that made me like that. I sometimes thing my only way forward is to kill myself. I know that’s horrible and selfish and I want to be well I just don’t know how to get to being well without drugs and they are what made me unwell.. Everywhere  I look comes back to the same place. 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Thinking of reinstateing myself, though i am 14 months out, will be risky too

I think i would got away with it 3 months ago

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MOD NOTE - Alto's response to Iatrogenesis' post:

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Iatrogenesis, do not give people this kind of advice unless you intend to hold their hands through every minute of an adverse reaction, if that should occur. I would expect you to maintain close contact with the person via e-mail. Consider yourself warned.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

15 hours ago, Eleven10 said:

So do I move up anyone? Thanks 

Hi Eleven10. Speaking from my experience, and I know the info here says reinstatement doesn't work for some people and that a small dose can remove a person's withdrawal, but a large dose can cause an adverse reaction - this has never been the case for me or any of my friends that take the drugs. My experience of this is that simply any time I CTed (or that one time I withdrew over 3 weeks), I could stay a long time in that state, a year even, but the withdrawal disorder was a result of my brain never being able to cope with that new neurochemical state, the one my brain was used to was the one induced by the original dose I had been taking for many years. So, the only way to remove that WD was to give the brain the exact same dose (or equivalent dose of another drug, pretty much) that it had grown accustomed to functioning at. Lower doses couldn't accomplish it, because their binding affinity, their effect they could exert on my receptors, wasn't strong enough.

You're describing a hellish state you ended up when you CTed. Well, my CTs weren't exactly pleasant either, but I think you shouldn't worry about taking the drug again because of this. Well, because there's just an enormous difference between quitting the drug properly AND CTing or ignoring the warning signs during your taper and finishing too quickly. You're saying you're desperately "ill" now. Well, that's exactly how I felt during my cold turkeys - that's why I thought I was very ill in the first place. That's why I really, strongly, discourage anyone from quitting these drugs CT or too quickly and trying to hold in a more or less hellish, damaged state. It's terrible, it can be really nightmarish and you can't know when your body could possibly recover and to what extent, even. Could some residual damage linger, even if you eventually did recover? These drugs are unpredictable  and destructive, and one thing we can say with certainty about them is that the difference between tapering properly and CTing can be life and death.

That's why I honestly would always recommend people to reinstate AND to the full dose whenever they taper off improperly, speaking from my experience, though. I know it's brought up here, on this site that A - it might not work B - lower dose is better. Again, something I've never encountered in my life, so I keep wondering if all those people I know of, have heard of, that think they have an underlying illness and try to quit, get burned, reinstate to the full dose, try later, same thing happens - are they some lucky bunch? Anyway, reinstating original, larger doses too quickly indeed can cause a severe adverse reaction, that I have experience with. That's why reasonable doctors always tell people to reinstate or even start their drug gradually (but spread just over several weeks, really)

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

1 year risperidone, 1 year olanzapine (10 mg). attempted first withdrawal cold turkey, failed. 2 more years olanzapine, switched to abilify which was very disruptive so attempted quitting cold turkey, failed. then 4 years amisulpride at 150 mg and about 3 zoloft at 150 mg. attempted withdrawal from both in 3 weeks, failed. reinstated zoloft and bridged to olanzapine (10 mg), successfully withdrew it over 10 months. tried withdrawing zoloft over 12 months, failed. bridged to prozac, at 40 mg,  now at 12 mg.

6 hours ago, Iatrogenesis said:

MOD NOTE added after JP's response - Alto's response to Iatrogenesis' post:

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Iatrogenesis, do not give people this kind of advice unless you intend to hold their hands through every minute of an adverse reaction, if that should occur. I would expect you to maintain close contact with the person via e-mail. Consider yourself warned.

Hi Eleven10. Speaking from my experience, and I know the info here says reinstatement doesn't work for some people and that a small dose can remove a person's withdrawal, but a large dose can cause an adverse reaction - this has never been the case for me or any of my friends that take the drugs. My experience of this is that simply any time I CTed (or that one time I withdrew over 3 weeks), I could stay a long time in that state, a year even, but the withdrawal disorder was a result of my brain never being able to cope with that new neurochemical state, the one my brain was used to was the one induced by the original dose I had been taking for many years. So, the only way to remove that WD was to give the brain the exact same dose (or equivalent dose of another drug, pretty much) that it had grown accustomed to functioning at. Lower doses couldn't accomplish it, because their binding affinity, their effect they could exert on my receptors, wasn't strong enough.

You're describing a hellish state you ended up when you CTed. Well, my CTs weren't exactly pleasant either, but I think you shouldn't worry about taking the drug again because of this. Well, because there's just an enormous difference between quitting the drug properly AND CTing or ignoring the warning signs during your taper and finishing too quickly. You're saying you're desperately "ill" now. Well, that's exactly how I felt during my cold turkeys - that's why I thought I was very ill in the first place. That's why I really, strongly, discourage anyone from quitting these drugs CT or too quickly and trying to hold in a more or less hellish, damaged state. It's terrible, it can be really nightmarish and you can't know when your body could possibly recover and to what extent, even. Could some residual damage linger, even if you eventually did recover? These drugs are unpredictable  and destructive, and one thing we can say with certainty about them is that the difference between tapering properly and CTing can be life and death.

That's why I honestly would always recommend people to reinstate AND to the full dose whenever they taper off improperly, speaking from my experience, though. I know it's brought up here, on this site that A - it might not work B - lower dose is better. Again, something I've never encountered in my life, so I keep wondering if all those people I know of, have heard of, that think they have an underlying illness and try to quit, get burned, reinstate to the full dose, try later, same thing happens - are they some lucky bunch? Anyway, reinstating original, larger doses too quickly indeed can cause a severe adverse reaction, that I have experience with. That's why reasonable doctors always tell people to reinstate or even start their drug gradually (but spread just over several weeks, really)

Was your nervous system in a comprimised state when you reinstated though?

Edited by ChessieCat
Added mod note to quoted post

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

Yes. The withdrawals were Hellish, and nothing ever changed. The longest I held with WD was a year. I wrote they weren't pleasant, but that was irony. They were very, very bad.

1 year risperidone, 1 year olanzapine (10 mg). attempted first withdrawal cold turkey, failed. 2 more years olanzapine, switched to abilify which was very disruptive so attempted quitting cold turkey, failed. then 4 years amisulpride at 150 mg and about 3 zoloft at 150 mg. attempted withdrawal from both in 3 weeks, failed. reinstated zoloft and bridged to olanzapine (10 mg), successfully withdrew it over 10 months. tried withdrawing zoloft over 12 months, failed. bridged to prozac, at 40 mg,  now at 12 mg.

How long did it take to stabalize?

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

That's a good question. The terrible, disruptive withdrawal symptoms would disappear completely pretty much immediately. Overnight or almost overnight. But maybe some damage, discomfort would remain longer, for a few months.

When I first started reading about WD way back when in London over 3 years ago, I read this piece of advice: if on reinstating, your symptoms disappear immediately, it was withdrawal, not a relapse. I don't remember if it was mind.org.uk giving that advice, or Joanna Moncrieff. But that also reinforced the idea that reinstating a full dose immediately removes the WD for most people, they just don't know what's hitting them. Although, I don't really believe in "relapses" now.

53 minutes ago, Iatrogenesis said:

When I first started reading about WD way back when in London over 3 years ago, I read this piece of advice: if on reinstating, your symptoms disappear immediately, it was withdrawal, not a relapse. I don't remember if it was mind.org.uk giving that advice, or Joanna Moncrieff. But that also reinforced the idea that reinstating a full dose immediately removes the WD for most people, they just don't know what's hitting them. Although, I don't really believe in "relapses" now.

Where do adverse reactions come into that then?

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

What do you mean?

MOD NOTE:  Please see this post from above

What do you mean?

EDIT:

OH, do you mean this part:

But that also reinforced the idea that reinstating a full dose immediately removes the WD for most people, they just don't know what's hitting them.

What I meant was:

Reinstating a full dose (rather gradually so as not to get an adverse reaction) immediately removes WD

EDIT: Oops, that was supposed to be an edit

By the way, I only got an adverse reaction once. I think the other 2  previous reinstatements weren't gradual, either. Nobody told me, but nothing happened. That's what I remember at least, but that's not to say that's the way to go.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added mod note

I didn’t take the Prozac today. I had horrible cortisol this morning from 5am. Feeling on the edge of sleep not being able to fall into it. Just swimming in thoughts. My daughter dropped her bowl on the floor while I was still in bed and the surge was tremendous. 

Dont get me wrong iv had these surges all way through but not as bad as that since last October when I thought I would loose my home. 

I dont yhink its it’s the Prozac I think it’s stress and expectation of terrible things and having flashbacks to 2014. Trying to take my daughter to school but not being able to see, move or function in anyway. Just the horrendous feeling of akathesia and the doom terror, dread and fear consuming you. 

I yhink if I could get back to a normal dose there is a good chance I would feel better but I don’t know how to get there without destroying myself. I have lorazepam but that’s the road to nowhere and don’t want to take it. 

Im currently sat in my car in the pouring rain outside the church I sit outside every single night. I have no idea why I come here as I’m an atheist. I have no idea why I go anywhere I do. It’s like my brain just needs to keep moving despite the exhaustion the thought of being still is vile.

i yhink I still have akathesia I think it’s never gone away in 5 years

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Totally understand it all. Can you take a beta blocker for the aka>

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

Won’t give me clonidine anymore due to low bp but may give me propranolol 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Thinking of reinstating myself, i think my brain would take it as it feels like i havent come down from it much- i feel stuck at my last dose at times. Not sure if my nervous system would take it.

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

if you think you can try properly and not mess around like me I’d go for it but start slow. Iv fought some rubbish in my life but I think this has won. What a b#tch it is 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Administrator

ELEVEN10 -- DO NOT STOP YOUR REINSTATEMENT. YOU NEED TO GIVE IT A CHANCE.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:00 AM, Eleven10 said:

I’m taking 2mg of Prozac a day and not feeling any worse but no better. In the story I read the lady did not get any real relief until she got 30mg but I’m scared to increase too much.

im having terrible tinnitus but it’s been around since the start and iv had times it’s been this bad before so trying not to blame the Prozac. 

My sleep is still a torturous experience every night. Cannot sleep longer than 1.5 hrs without waking with horrible vivid dreams. My ears scream when I wake. 

Praying I get relief as I’m on the edge 

23 hours ago, Eleven10 said:

I’m still taking 2mg. Have taken it for 5 days. My sleep has changed in that it takes me a lot longer to get to sleep but slept a bit later. Before I would fall asleep fast but wake through the night and very early. 

Im wondering if to go up 

11 hours ago, Eleven10 said:

Hi

sorry.

i actually started on the 26th so 6 day

iv been trying to sort my sig but can’t change it on my phone ??

the sig is wrong it’s just 2mg for 6 days

iv not slept in 4 days but it’s not the drugs it’s the endless worrying I’m doing the wrong thing. 

I keep having flashbacks to when I first came off the drug and how ill I was. I remember those days and it’s terrifying 

i couldnt walk or talk talk or even stand. My brain was upside down with a fear I can’t explain. All I could do was squirm around in bed in mental torture. 

even though I’m desperately ill now. The thought of being like that again is what’s causing these cortisol spikes. 

I know nobody can fix this but I really don’t know what to do.. I don’t know if I can mentally take a drug that made me like that. I sometimes thing my only way forward is to kill myself. I know that’s horrible and selfish and I want to be well I just don’t know how to get to being well without drugs and they are what made me unwell.. Everywhere  I look comes back to the same place. 

Let's be very clear about this: You started 2mg Prozac on August 26? Since then, has your symptom pattern changed at all? How has it changed?

What time of day do you take Prozac? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

3 hours ago, Iatrogenesis said:

What do you mean?

EDIT:

OH, do you mean this part:

What I meant was:

Reinstating a full dose (rather gradually so as not to get an adverse reaction) immediately removes WD

EDIT: Oops, that was supposed to be an edit

By the way, I only got an adverse reaction once. I think the other 2  previous reinstatements weren't gradual, either. Nobody told me, but nothing happened. That's what I remember at least, but that's not to say that's the way to go.

yes. 2mg from 26th. 

Iv had more cortisol at night because of worries but have felt a little more still at night I think. Less restless

Its idiotic stopping but I’m consumed by fear of agitation and reactions. 

Not felt any different in any other way just more sleep deprived. 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

• Administrator

I'm not sure if we can help you, Eleven10.

Should I ask to go in hospital? I just can’t do it on my own

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

I have stayed at 2mg. No sleep at all last night and feel extremely depressed today. I’m pretty sure it’s not the Prozac and it me just worrying extremely. I have lorazepam but not taking it unless I really really have to.

feels like something is scraping together in my brain. 

Trying to stay calm 

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

if i were you i would not being taking z drug  that might be your problem. Z drug causes a lot  of problems    i am  not doctor but this is  my  personal experience    with  the  z  drug and hundred and thousands   of other  people .    talk over with your doctor  .   it took Matt Samet  7 years to recover  in mad in american.  see his story  i don't see the z- drug in our signature  

https://www.madinamerica.com/2012/12/the-other-side/

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

paxil    10 mg 10 /16  11 / 16 bad reaction  stopped  

xanax  .25 mg as needed   10 /16  30 days  only stopped 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg