SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

pupperlover: Seroquel

pupperlover

Hey, I'm currently at 100mg of Seroquel XR and want to switch to Instant Release to make tapering easier. Has anybody tried to do that?

I know some recommend to take multiple doses of IR during the day (like 6 small doses) but I'm scared I'll be knocked out during the day (since I'm not knocked out with XR and only take it for insomnia now) and it seems complicated.

Also in response to tapering from high doses, I used to be at 200mg XR and switching to 150 and 100 was pretty easy for me so I guess it's really different for everyone, I stayed on 150 for maybe 3 months and then switched to 100. However switching from 100 to 50 made me unstable and that's why I want to go from XR to IR and taper slowly.

Edited by scallywag
tags
  • Moderator Emeritus

pupperlover -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

It's great that you're asking questions before making any more changes to Seroquel doses.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
You may find information in this topic helpful - both for tips about XL/IR and for others who are taking seroquel.

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

I've added tags to this topic. Now there will be a list at the bottom of this page with other threads with that tag.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

"I've added tags to this topic. Now there will be a list at the bottom of this page with other threads with that tag."

And if click one of the tags, it will find more content with that same tag.  I've only just discovered that!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, pupperlover.

Welcome to the forum from me, too.

Seroquel was the last drug in my cocktail to taper, and I was very happy to come off it. 

I know some recommend to take multiple doses of IR during the day (like 6 small doses) but I'm scared I'll be knocked out during the day (since I'm not knocked out with XR and only take it for insomnia now) and it seems complicated.

Some people do split up doses throughout the day, but this is more to deal with interdose withdrawal or to handle symptoms such as anxiety throughout the day. But if you're not dealing with that, you may wish to take your full dose at night. You can always alter this during your taper, if you need. 

Here are some links to help with insomnia using alternatives to drugs:

Some people find the fish oil (Omega 3) and magnesium help calm the CNS during withdrawal. Please research all supplements carefully and add only one in at a time and at a small dose, in case there is a reaction. 

Wishing you much luck on your Seroquel taper. Please let us know how you're doing.