Santino's Mother (antipsychotic problems)

Santino

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear All.

It is me Santino (the one tapering Remeron into the other topic... :-))

Anyway i decided to open a new topic regarding my mother. She has been on medication for quite a long time. I have not discussed with her the starting of this topic and i am not sure whether this is the correct forum section to post it but i wanted some opinions regarding her situation.

She has been on medication for quite a lot of time (maybe 20 years) i am not sure about the time. She has used Amitryptiline for a long period maybe 5 years and currently is on 300 MG of Seroquel daily at night on the course of medications she has also taken Lamictal, benzos and other stuff which i am not aware on how long. She has been identified as bipolar around 10 years ago and we notice these cycles worsening on particular periods of time. She becomes delusional due to her history. A long life of too hard work and sacrificing for us to grow up which has surely taken its toll. Normaly she has the periods of calmnes as now she is not working but on some periods of the year around New Years or summer she becomes really hyper and delusional. Continues to repeat all of her worries and issues from the previous times. She starts to argue a lot with my father and even with us and requires attention to what she is suggesting even though it might be nonsense and a issue that might not be important at all to be taken so serious. In August her Seroquel brand finished so we got a generic one for her and she has continued with that but recently I notice deterioration of her mental health again. Maybe it is the cycle of bipolar repeating itself or maybe it might be related to the medication but i am not sure what to say. We have some situational factors going on not right at this moment. MY father wants to help me with a new venture in my hometown but my mother does not like the hometown too much but even i ask her to come to the city we live in she still declines saying that she needs to stay with my father until the work finishes. 

I am really into crossroads right now as to what is the best course of action for her. I am not sure whether to suggest to her (ofcourse when she is calmer) that she can start a tapering process from the anti psychotic hopping to become better in the long run or follow the doctor who on every episode increases the medication and than after a period of time lowers it again to maintain some sort of stability. I know the damage has been already done for her but i want to be able to somehow help with her situation. After all the suffering they both (my father and her) have endured during their life they are not able to live peacefully during this age as senior citizens. They do not have in reality anything to worry or fight about but my mother gets irritated even with small things and my father is a bit stubborn by nature and they stay for days without talking, quarrel and almost never agree on things.

Based on your experiences... please suggest me some ways on how to handle this issue. Right now due to my not stable situation because of Remeron WD, restarting of such symptoms for my mother are an extra stressing factor which for sure will set me back in my recovery as well.

She has been followed up by the same doctor who put me in this mess of drugs (most probably knowing my mother's history prompted her to consider me another bipolar case on the making so she did not think twice about pushing the meds on my side). 

Please any suggestion is welcome...

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:09 PM, Santino said:

She has been followed up by the same doctor who put me in this mess of drugs (most probably knowing my mother's history prompted her to consider me another bipolar case on the making so she did not think twice about pushing the meds on my side). 

Hi Santino 

I think this is one of the most heartbreaking things to read about when one doctor pushes several members of a family onto these drugs. And do so trying to suggest some inheritable fault.

If one person has a Prozac imbalance then that means the whole family must have a Prozac imbalance ...how crazy is that!

Anyway you mum is lucky to have you helping her even if covertly.

No wonder you mum is struggling 300mg of Seroquel is a huge burden.

How is she doing these days.

I am sorry that you have had to wait 15 months for a reply.

regards

nz11

ps Santino congratulations on going remeron free in dec 17. Great going! That will be a christmas you wont forget.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:09 PM, Santino said:

A long life of too hard work and sacrificing for us to grow up which has surely taken its toll

What has taken its toll is the dreadful drug burden you doctor has put her under.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• ChessieCat changed the title to Santino's Mother (antipsychotic problems)
  • Moderator Emeritus

HI NZ.... 

Thanks for your comment on my mum's topic my friend. 

After what happened to me, i also believe that my mum's life has been destroyed by these medicines. This is really creazy. She has a lot of rumination and is trying to avoid all the toxic situations and people around. Anyway that is not the proper way to handle things. Right now i want her to start tapering but i am not sure on how she will react. My sister is also not believing too much when i mention things about withdrawal so she is skeptic of my suggestion to taper the Seroquel. Anyway let's see.... maybe i will figure out some way to help her through. 

All the best

Santino

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

Santino thanks for the update.

Wouldn't that be great to be able to get your mum off Seroquel. You didn't mention what other drugs shes on i guess there are others too.

Would she be open to tapering? I mean slow like sa recs.

Could always buy your sister the Whitaker book' Anatomy of an epidemic' 

Could give your mum breggins ;Your drug may be your problem' or even Katinkas book 'the pill that steals lives'

I gave a family member KAtinkas book back in nov ...they still haven't opened it! ugh!! sigh

Anyway let us know how it goes. '

Recovering paxil addict