Messi01: tapering seroquel

Messi01

HI everyone!

Sorry if I writing with not perfect english and I make some spelling or grammer mistake.

I had been taking antidepressants from 2008- 2016 what I successfully got off this year. But I have taken antypsyhotic from the beggining of 2015. I started with 650 mg of Seroquel, that I have managed to reduce with 50 mgs decrements. I am now taking 31 mg. How should  I taper further? When I dont't take the pill, I have horrendous insomnia and symptoms like psychosis.  What supplements can you reccommend for insomnia and withdrawal symptoms? Is there anyone, who have managed to get off this drug and maybe could give me some advice? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Messi01.

Welcome to SA. 

Let's get a bit more information - please let us know the antidepressants you were on in the past, as well as which one(s) you tapered off most recently. What were you on, how fast did you come off, and what date was your last dose?  

It sounds like you're tapering the Seroquel too quickly. Around 150 mg, Seroquel stops affecting dopamine and only affects histamine, so this may be why you're having "symptoms like psychosis."

Here are some links to get you started:

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You are most likely suffering from both antidepressants and antipsychotic withdrawal, so please let us know more about your daily symptoms. What does "symptoms like psychosis" mean? This post will help understand what exactly we need:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Please also fill out your signature. Here's how:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

I was able to come off Seroquel, along with many other drugs, and so have a number of our members, and you can do so, too.  I'm glad you found us for information and support.

Please use this thread to note your symptoms and to ask plenty of questions. 

Hi Shep,

First of all. I have been loking around this website. And I read your "posts". I am astonished how many drug you took and you successfully got off them.

The antidepressant was escitalopram (10mg) from the beggining to the end. There was altogether 1 year gap when I didn't take (approximately).  I had been reducing from May to September with 2,5 decrements. The last dosage was about 2,5 mg 

By the way the escitalopram called Lexapro in some foreign state.

I felt   psychosis like symptoms when  I was absolutely off of seroquel.  That was a week, but  I hade unberable symptoms, though I made some mistake because I drank coffee and ate chocolate. I now know these aren't reccomend during the withdrawal. 

As far as psychosis concerned. I have never experienced before . I am considered fully sane myself. But when I was completely med-free I felt as if I was going to be crazy. I can say my thoughts have been stopped. I  could thinking hardly . I couldn't sleep

Now I am at 31 mgs. I am not well, but it is bearable. My concentration and memory is rather lousy. But the sleep is good. 

I would like to get rid of this as soon as possible.Becouse I am at home and I haven't got work. Well I am very lonely, because I haven't got friends. People judge me (stigma). As well as I very like to take  a job. But I don't know  what withdrawal symptoms will be occured, when I stop again this "medicine". 

I read a lot of supplements. But I don't know which ones I schould buy. I read about melatonin for insomnia. And 5 HTP, for which I know almost nothings, but it is enough expensive. I read also about phosphatidylserine, niacin (B3), C vitamin, magnesium, calcium and  Sapropterin(Tetrahydrobiopterin THB),which is cost a fortune, but I don't read about it in this website, so I hope it doesn't need. By the way fish oil capsulas. But I am of course not going to buy all of this. But something really need for my insomnia, if it will occur again when I will stop taking the pills. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Messi.

Thanks for the update. The symptoms you are describing sound like withdrawal. 

Some of the supplements you've listed can be quite dangerous for people going through withdrawal , such as 5 HTP. Some people do fine with supplements, but many of us can't take them because our central nervous system is simply too fragile. This link on kindling explains why we become so sensitive to drugs, supplements, certain foods, and even stress. 

There are two supplements that we do recommend, as many members have reported that they help "calm" the central nervous system and aid with symptoms. Please research supplements first, and only add one in at a time and at a very low dose. Fish oil and magnesium are the two we do advocate:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

If your CNS is too fragile to handle getting these in supplement form, eating fish is a great way of getting Omega 3 and taking Epsom Salt baths is a good way of getting magnesium. 

You wrote you are on 31 mgs of Seroquel, tapered down from 600 mg. 

And you went from 10 mg of Lexapro, down to 2.5 mg and then you came off in September. 

Is this correct?

If so, it looks like you were coming off Seroquel and Lexapro at the same time. No wonder you are having so many problems, but let's see if there's a way of getting you on track and feeling better.

Can you tell us more specific symptoms? Please write down your drugs, the time you take them, the dose, and your symptoms. If you can, please write them out in this format:  Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Once we have a clear look at your symptoms, we can give you better advice.

Thank you for your answer

The description was correct. I took only 31,25 mg seroquel at evening about 9:00 pm. 

I add I only took 600 mg at the hospital for about 3 weeks. After I immediatly reduce to 300 mg (approximately) at home. And I reduced this from may.

I have two unpleasant withdrawal symtoms. Weak sleep often with nightmare. And the worst is I feel as if I have stone instead of my brain. Therefore I have worsening cognitive function. In addition I got a job and I am going  to start soon. I am frightened of I won't be able to do my  tasks.

I am really appriciated your advices for supplements.

I am very grateful to you for all your help

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Messi.

Since you just a few weeks away from coming off Lexapro, you may benefit from reinstating a very small amount. You have tapered off a lot of drugs this year, so you're dealing with both Seroquel and Lexapro withdrawal.

Please read over these threads:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

If you do decide to reinstate the Lexapro, it would be at a very small dose. This is because your central nervous system has been destabilized by coming off so quickly, so you'll most likely be very sensitive to even a small dose. Also, Lexapro is an extremely potent drug. 

I'm going to check with the other moderators and see what they would recommend. In the meantime, please read over the thread on reinstating and let us know if you have any questions. 

I know you're struggling with cognitive functioning, so hopefully we can improve that a bit.

• Administrator

Welcome, Messi.

Why did you start taking Seroquel? What do you mean by "psychosis-like states"? What is your sleep pattern like?

Until we can unravel this, do not taper anything, take your drugs at the same time each day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Altostrata!

I started seroquel because I was seeking help. I found a psychiatrist who said he will help. But he didn't do anything, apart from change my drug to seroquel. I wrote it in detail in my confindent introduction.

I don't know much about psychosis.  I thing psychosis is similar to stop thinking normally, maybe going to crazy. As if my thought getting very confused. As if I couldn't thinking at all

But when I tried to come off seroquel I felt this very much. And I couldn't sleep. For few day with herbal tea I slept few hours, but later I couldn't sleep and psyhosis-like symtom started to stronger. When I felt I am going to crazy I decided to reinstate my drug.

As far as my sleeping pattern concerned. I don't feel drowsy.  I can sleep only after I take my kvetiapin (seroquel, kventiax).

Dear Shep

I am a little bit better with the supplments you offered to me. I am very grateful for this. Therefore I don't reinstate lexapro. The come off was almost two month ago.

But I completely understand your thought, because I read  also that antidepressant can help  with comig off antypsychotics. They lessen withdrawal symptoms. Am I correct?.  But I will reinstate if my symptoms get as worse as it was when I did not take the pill.  Is it 2.5 mg enough small?

I was wondering  whether  I can make my own liquid both with seroquel and if necessary with lexapro (escitalopram)? And if I dissolve first of all seroquel in water, how many days remain it fresh in the fridge? About two days?. I don't know am I correct?

And since about a month I swiched from taking XR quetiapin twice a day to taking immediate release form once in evening. Mybe it is  also contribute to the bad state. But it is neccesary because 25mg dosage only available in immediate release form and only this formulation soluble in water. If I know it  well.

Thank you for all your help

I read the topic of lexapro.  I have already understood it is much more stronger drug than I thought. I reinstate aprox 2.5 mg, And immediately I feel more brain activity,. It is not imagination, but it is really frightening

• Moderator Emeritus

I was wondering  whether  I can make my own liquid both with seroquel and if necessary with lexapro (escitalopram)? And if I dissolve first of all seroquel in water, how many days remain it fresh in the fridge? About two days?. I don't know am I correct?

And since about a month I swiched from taking XR quetiapin twice a day to taking immediate release form once in evening. Mybe it is  also contribute to the bad state. But it is neccesary because 25mg dosage only available in immediate release form and only this formulation soluble in water. If I know it  well.

Thank you for all your help

Hi, Messi. 

For information on how to make a liquid formula, please read this thread - Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

According to the thread, Seroquel is "most likely stable mixed with water for 24 hours."

I'm concerned that you're making too many changes with your medications. 

Are you reinstating Lexapro AND decreasing Seroquel? 

Also, please fill out the time you take your drugs and your symptoms throughout the day, as listed in this post: 

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Please let us know how you're doing. It takes at least 4 days to a week for your central nervous system to register a reinstatement. Please keep careful notes. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I read the topic of lexapro.  I have already understood it is much more stronger drug than I thought. I reinstate aprox 2.5 mg, And immediately I feel more brain activity,. It is not imagination, but it is really frightening

Messi, how are you feeling now? Did you continue your Lexapro reinstatement? 

Please let us know how you're doing and what doses of Lexapro and Seroquel you're currently taking. 

I have not decreased seroquel further for know. I have very weak and unnatural sleep, if I sleep at all. I take my seroquel dose about 9 pm

I take 5 mg lexapro in the morning. I will have to increase my kvetiapin dosage, if I don't sleep. I can't go work without sleep and do my tasks. I will read your links. But know I am happy to can write a few sentences at all. 

Is Lexapro also soluble in water? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Lexapro is soluble in water. Please read the first post in the Lexapro tapering topic.

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

When was the last time you changed your kvetiapin (Seroquel (quetiapine)) dose?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Messi - how are you going?

I will have to increase my kvetiapin dosage, if I don't sleep.

actually, this is one drug which is more sedating at lower doses.  If you increase your dose too much, it will not make you any sleepier.

At 0-100 mg, it hits the histamine receptors, which cause drowsiness.  At over 100 mg, it starts to hit D2 receptors where it numbs the intrusions of "psychotic" perceptions, delusions, paranoias, etc.

Sometimes more is not better.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!