heatherjc: Mirtazipine withdrawal how long?

heatherjc

Note by ChessieCat:  heatherjc aka cakemaster - 3 topics have now been merged into one

** merged from previously commenced topic  **

Hi I have been lurking here for a while, been on Seroxat for almost 20 years, last few months been doing ok then tonight out of the blue Severe ANXIety/panic, just recently picked up my latest script, now I KNOW I CANNOT tolerate any generic as its taken me to hell in the past so my script is always BRAND NAME SEROXAT & thats what I have, but feeling exactly like when I have taken generic in the past, just checked & I am on day 4 of new script, the day when any changes are felt, so have studied the patient Info leaflet, its all exactly the same except its was updated August 2014, the precious pack I had was updated Sept 2013.

I am convinced something is different, so just wanted to reach out in case anyone else UK based has noticed any difference??

Edited by ChessieCat

Seroxat (Paxil) since 1996 various doses, stopped in 2007 for approx 10 months for pregnany then back on.

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

Mirtazipine 15mg tapered off from April 2016- October 2016

7.5mg April 2016 - July 2016

3.75mg July 2016 - October 2016

stopped on 1st October 2016

6th November 2016 have taken 50mg  promethazine just one dose

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Heatherjc,

Thanks for popping up.  I have changed the title of your post to make it your personal thread given you posted in the intro section.  This is where you can come to for advice, document what's happening to you etc.

We have a forum for UK members in the relationship section, you might want to copy and paste your post in there  - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6285-great-britain-members-please-check-in-here/

Can I ask you to fill out your signature - its a short hand version of your drug history that is visible whenever you post.  Makes it a lot easier for people to quickly understand where you are coming from.  Details on how to do that are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Dalsaan

Edited by ChessieCat

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Heather,

How are you feeling now? Is Seroxat the only medication you are taking?

Edited by ChessieCat

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have been lurking here for a while, been on Seroxat for almost 20 years, last few months been doing ok then tonight out of the blue Severe ANXIety/panic, just recently picked up my latest script, now I KNOW I CANNOT tolerate any generic as its taken me to hell in the past so my script is always BRAND NAME SEROXAT & thats what I have, but feeling exactly like when I have taken generic in the past, just checked & I am on day 4 of new script, the day when any changes are felt, so have studied the patient Info leaflet, its all exactly the same except its was updated August 2014, the precious pack I had was updated Sept 2013.

I am convinced something is different, so just wanted to reach out in case anyone else UK based has noticed any difference??

I've heard of this sort of thing before.  It's not unknown.  Generic vs. brand.  20 years is a long time.  I'm sure you're aware of all the dangers related the the medication that you're taking and that the correct and least harmful way to stop taking it is by reducing very slowly over a very long period of time.  I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by ChessieCat
  • 5 months later...
Guest cakemaster

** merged from cakemaster (nowHeatherjc) topic  **

Hello all, just wanted to know if it was possible to have symptoms after missing a single dose? Been ok for ages but feeling terrible today. anxious, shaky, headaches, head pressure & weakness, I missed my 15mg of Mirtazipine last night thats all I can think of but surely just forgetting one dose wouldn't cause all of this? Thank you in advance

Cakemaster x

Edited by ChessieCat

Hey cakemaster :)

Welcome to the forum!

I'd have thought that the Paxil would buffer you somewhat against a missed dose on the Mirtazipine but in my experience a missed dose can certainly cause symptoms like the ones you're describing.

I'll wait for the mods to come along to give you some more advice.

Once your blood levels stabilise over the next few days you should start feeling better again.

Funky

Edited by ChessieCat

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

Hi Cakemaster-- welcome to the group.  The other FunkyMonkey pretty well hit it. It doesn't happen to everyone but, yes missing one dose can really upset things.  Once you get back on your regular schedule for a few days things should settle down.

I am concerned that you are taking both Paxil and Mirtazapine at the same time.  They are well known to not play well together and your doctor should have known better than to combine them.  Other than the symptoms from the missed dose how have you been feeling?

Edited by ChessieCat

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 10 months later...

Hi I tapered off 15mg mirtazipine over 6 months been off now for 3 weeks felt great til last night now back to square one before I began taking it cant believe I am back here after everything I have taken up running given up alcohol did all right things is it my original symptoms or withdrawal?

Edited by scallywag
tags

Seroxat (Paxil) since 1996 various doses, stopped in 2007 for approx 10 months for pregnany then back on.

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

You might of tapered too fast according to this website, its 10% of reduced dose every 3 to 4 weeks. From what i have read here withdrawal can be delayed. You also may have jumped off your last dose on too high of a dose. The experts at this website will know better. One of them will help you soon.

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

• Moderator Emeritus

heatherjc -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Please include all medications -- prescription, over the counter, or street drugs -- that you take for ANY reason.
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • if you are using a phone, the phone instructions are in the same thread but in Post #8; and Post #9

You can read about withdrawal syndrome and its symptoms in this topic:
What is withdrawal syndrome

It's very common for people who have fast tapered off a medication to have a period of several weeks where they feel wonderful and then all of a sudden symptoms appear. "Fast taper," you say, "I took 6 months!" Although you took six months to taper off a dose of 15 mg of mirtazapine, you may have gone too fast for your CNS (central nervous system). Most people do well with a much slower rate of reduction -- reducing by less than 10% of previous dose monthly.
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The information at these 2 links might help explain what happens when your CNS has to "un-adapt" itself when a neuroactive medication such as mirtazapine is discontinued:
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

The best way to deal with withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate a very small dose of the drug you discontinued, mirtazapine in your case. It works for many people but not for all. The likelihood is higher in your situatoin because your last dose was only 3 weeks ago and you only just now started having symptoms. Please read this topic to understand the potential benefits and risks of reinstatement:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please do not reinstate any mirtazapine, and especially not 15 mg. Let us know if you would to reinstate the mirtazapine. After we have your medication and withdrawal history in signature and a post from you saying you would like to reinstate, we'll suggest a dose for you to consider.  The decision to reinstate (RI) is always, always your choice.

You may find the posts in this topic informative:
Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. 

Let us know how you're doing and what your thoughts and questions about reinstating.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi I tapered off 15mg mirtazipine over 6 months been off now for 3 weeks felt great til last night now back to square one before I began taking it cant believe I am back here after everything I have taken up running given up alcohol did all right things is it my original symptoms or withdrawal?

Remeron wd for me and many people hits in a delayed fashion.  I used to feel the major symptoms between 2-3 weeks after cuts.  It's gotten a bit better but there has always been this delay.  Most times it would last 3-5 days and then I would slowly stabilize.  You may be experiencing that delayed reaction.  

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am back, is anyone available for a chat? . Am 5 weeks off mirtazipine after 7 months tapering off 15mg. Sorry cant add signature on my phone so that is the short version, I feel terrible

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

It's difficult for us to assist you or direct you to possibly useful information with so few details about your meds history and about your current symptoms.

Here are 2 posts that explain how to create a signature using a phone or tablet:
Post #8; Post #9

What are you experiencing that is terrible?

You can search the site for specific symptoms using a search engine such as google. If you want to search for insomnia, use these search terms:
site:survivingantidepressants.org insomnia

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Just so full of anxiety and brain fog, not sure if its the lack of mirtazipine or the thought of the lack of mirtazipine if that makes sense? I have got myself into this mess before by spending my every waking moment online researching symptoms. Long story but also on 10mg paxil which no longer does anything but rather be stuck on it than go through withdrawal, that is what ended with me having the mirtazipine added in the first place.

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes your statement about possible causes makes sense.

I hope you'll understand and forgive my directness/bluntness: If you aren't well enough to create a signature, you may not be well enough to work with  online peer information sharing networks, such as this site.

scallywag's Introduction

Ok, but my options are, suffer like this on my own, or go to hospital and get totally over medicated which is the main cause of my anxiety. A lose lose situation

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

"suffer like this on my own"

You don't have to do it on your own, we can offer support and suggestions here at SA

BUT we do need you to provide your drug history.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

signature updated.

I have taken 50mg Promethazine tonight is that too much?

please i really need someone to chat to

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

Please put all your medications in your signature, including the 50mg Promethazine + when you started taking it and as well as start dates and recent dose change dates for ALL OTHER MEDICATIONS you are currently taking.

edited to add: When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report. Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text of the report, copy it and paste it in a post here.
Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

scallywag's Introduction

the 50mg promethazine I have just taken tonight just this once to try to calm things down, not taken it for years and never regularly

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for clarifying that. Regardless of the fact that you have only taken one, you may want to look at the interactions. Because you are dealing with difficulties from discontinuing mirtazapine, you may be more susceptible to interaction effects between paroxetine and promethazine.

Two questions:

1. Are you taking any other medications - prescription, over-the-counter, or street drugs?

2. You've previously mentioned anxiety and brain fog. What other symptoms do you have, if any?

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Please provide additional details in your signature.  Having this information in your signature enables it to be easily seen without us having to read back through your posts.

Currently 

Please add approximate start date  Paxil 10mg

Please add approximate start date  Mirtazipine 15mg just tapered off please add the dates and doses of your tapering and date of last dose

Please add approximate start date 7.5mg for 4 months then please add date 3.75 for 3 months, stopped on 1st October 2016

Having detailed drug information enables us to assess your situation and offer suggestions based on your individual situation.

Please remember to update it whenever you make a change.

Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you for merging my posts & your help with signature, I think it is now correct, so please to you have any advice for me?

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

Anybody awake & want to chat? It is 1.30am currently here in UK am tapping away on my keyboard while the world sleeps lol

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

paroxetine  mirtazapine

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine), mirtazapine

Using PARoxetine together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate promethazine  paroxetine

Applies to: promethazine, Paxil (paroxetine)

Using promethazine together with PARoxetine may increase some of the side effects of promethazine. This includes tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble walking, drooling, and restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck. Talk with your doctor before using these medications together. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate promethazine  mirtazapine

Applies to: promethazine, mirtazapine

Using promethazine together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

Scallywag that is all the drugs I am taking, anxirty is major today also really tight  feeling around my head and finding it so hard to concetrate on anything, feeeling sleepy now but dare not fall asleep for fear of waking up in an even worse state.

when I first stopped the mirt approx 6 weeks ago I was feeling amazing. infact almost too good, so now thinking i have bipolar disorder too.

I have made a doctors appointment for tomorrow (not sure why really as I already know they cannot help me) but scared they will push bipolar meds on me

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

anyone out there?

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

ok its 3.20am here and i am going out of my mind, my family are asleep I cannot use the phone to call anyone as will wake my daughter and I dont belong to anyother message boards but I REALLY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! or talk to someone, anyone? if i was admitted to hospital what would they do? offer me benzos? as is that is so there is no point in going but I just have to do something

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

Have I been off too long to re instate?  i think i need a hospital. shall i increase my paxil? i cannot cope someone help me i am so scard

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

scared the doctor will think i am bipolar as when I first stopped mirtazipine a few weeks ago I felt really high and felt amazing is that normal?

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

please someone reply to me? now scaredas feeling manic 

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes when people stop their drug they can get several weeks where they feel okay but then withdrawal symptoms show up.

A diagnosis cannot be made whilst someone is tapering or experiencing withdrawal symptoms because the drug/s have changed the brain.  From this post Ch4:

"Antidepressants can certainly make patients look manic or hypomanic. But the American APA DSM explicitly states that “manic like [or hypomanic –like] episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g. medication) should not count toward a diagnosis of bipolar I or bipolar II disorder because these are drug induced states."

• Moderator Emeritus

"shall i increase my paxil?"

NO!!!

"Have I been off too long to re instate?"

From Post #10: 

"The best way to deal with withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate a very small dose of the drug you discontinued, mirtazapine in your case. It works for many people but not for all. The likelihood is higher in your situatoin because your last dose was only 3 weeks ago and you only just now started having symptoms. Please read this topic to understand the potential benefits and risks of reinstatement:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms"

I'm asking the other mods what dose they suggest you could try.  It might be a dose as low as 0.5mg so please don't take any more than that.  It takes 4 days for the drug to get to a steady state in the blood and a few more days for it to register in the brain.  Please keep a daily diary of symptoms (what improves, what worsens, what stays the same).  This will help us to know if reinstatement is working.  Keep Notes on Paper.  Also Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

thank you for the replies, so would you say that its definatly withdrawal or have i brought this on myself because i have been worrying about withdrawal? I was doing all the right things to keep myself well so I could do without drugs,  but maybe i do need them for life after all, the paxil does nothing but too scared to taper further with that. I have had to call in sick to work today I cannot believe I am back here again 

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest your read through the links Scallyway gave you in Post #10.

Also check this:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Yes I pretty much hhave all of those symptoms but could mean anything, if it is withdrawal can I expect months of this like is expected with paxil?

Is there any ladies here that can throw any light on any connection between anxiety and hormones? Always always worse that time of the month, this month its late, I am almost 45 how do you know when you have started the menopause?  

Currently 

Paxil 10mg from 1996