TheWayfarer: Zoloft Side Effect + Emotionless

TheWayfarer

Hello,

My name is Sean, I've been dealing with stress and anxiety for the past two years, it has gotten particularly bad lately, to the point were i could no longer cope, i was going to therapy but that wasn't enough either, so i went to a psychiatrist and was prescribed Zoloft. Since i took Zoloft on the 26th, i haven't felt emotion. Please if you have the time read what i wrote below. if anyone has experienced what im feeling. I need help. I cant stand this please.

(took the pill 10:00PM 26th)

(October 27th 4:00PM)Believe it or not I already feel my medication, it felt pretty good at first but as the day went on I felt more and more drained. The best way I can describe it is zombie like. I feel detached and emotionless. I don’t feel happy sad or anything. I don’t see a point socializing, or anything else for that matter. I just see everything in a logical sense. And I don’t like it, I felt the same way when I was put on Add medication in middle school. I don’t feel happy sad scared stressed anxious shy glad excited, when my brother talked to me about possibly doing airsoft I didn’t feel anything, normally that would have excited me even if i was stressed. Is it possible this side effect will go away over time? Or should I find another medication. Don’t get me wrong its not making me depressed, I just feel nothing. I haven’t felt this way since middle school when I was put on an add medication.

(October 27th 11:00PM)
I still feel the side effects, they should have been gone by now i mean heck its been over 22 hours the average duration of a 50mg dose of Zoloft is 22 hours, i took a 25mg. I can't stop crying witch is strange for me, i don't normally cry even when things are really bad, the strangest part is that when i cry i don't feel sad or scared my brain register the fact that i feel sad and scared but i don't feel it in my heart. Its like my heart and mindhave been separated. My mind tells me I'm sad, my face looks like I'm sad when i look in a mirror but i don't feel (FEEL) sad. It should have been gone hours ago. Im going to try to get some rest.

(October 28th 9:30PM)
I just woke up around 30 minutes ago. It was strange i didn't recognize myself at first nor my surroundings my brain was just on a tangent of nonsensceicle thoughts and ideas. i was conversing with people who didn't exist. About things that didn't make any sense. I feel a little better now. I still feel sick in my stomach. Id say the only thing that really changed is that now instead of feeling completely numb i feel weird. Jittery, almost light headed. i feel my heart again witch is suppose is good news. but it feels weird almost light. Im starting to feel sick again. My head almost feel like its heavy one moment then full of helium the next. My emotions still feel numb. The nauseas back.

I feel like I'm failing in and out of reality, its really strange. Is it possible to be feeling this after only taking the pill one day? Are these side effects normal? Should these side effects be gone by now? How long do you believe it will take for these side effects to subside and leave me feeling normal again? Is it possible that this medication somehow permanently (or in the long term) altered the chemical make up of my brain? Its strange whenever i try to focus on my surroundings and life i get sick, confused and a little scared. When i try to focus on reality i feel a little emotion but when i let myself zone out witch only take second a second it feels like all my emotions have been muted.

Please if you have any knowledge or experience concerning these side effects and zoloft please respond. I just need to know weather this will go away soon or not. And if it is normal to still feel the effects of a 25mg pill over 32 hours after taking it.

I feel sad happy and scared at the same time when i focus on things its as if the group is moving a little. Best way to describe how i feel emotionally is confused. This is very weird especially seeing its been over 32 hour since i took the 25mg pill. Its also strange seeing this is only my first day i hear most people don't feel anything the first day. Also a little background I'm very sensitive to medication. i took 50 mg of Benadryl and that practically made me lose conciseness after waking up i was angry and confused for a week. Eventually it wore off. Point being I'm I'm high sensitive to medication so that might have something to do with it. Anyway please respond as soon as you can, i hat the idea that this may last weeks if not months, i know its not logical but nor is the fact that i feel this way 32 hours after taking a 25 mg pill for my very first time. Once again if you have any knowledge on the subject of Zoloft i would really appreciate a response. Thank you.

Can i expect this to go away in the next week or two? Is it permanent?

Edited by scallywag
emphasize meds and doses, tags

On the 29th i took zoloft 25mg. Since then i have suffered from savere apathy, low sex drive, nasua, cognative imparment, impulsiveness, inablility to plan properly, inability to properly construct sentences and ingage in conversation, fatugue. I see little to no improvement dailey and in some way it feels worse. 90% sexual numbness, can only feel emotion in dreams, in the day i feel mostly like a corpse braught alive by battery acid injections when i do have emotion its either depression or its muted and barely present. The range of emotion is hard to feel. Forlorn and nostalgia are the most common felt emotions..

Although now i recognize the sole cause of all this is not the pill. It is extreme stress anxiety and depression along with the Placebo Affect + medical anxiety.. This may have been triggered by the medication but now that it is out of my system and seeing i only took it for a day it has left no long term effect on me. I just need to learn coping skills and make life style changes that will lead me to a full recovery.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWayfarer

• scallywag

• ChessieCat

• Shep

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I forgot to say this but my entire body feels relaxed and lackadaisical...

On the 29th i took zoloft 25mg. Since then i have suffered from savere apathy, low sex drive, nasua, cognative imparment, impulsiveness, inablility to plan properly, inability to properly construct sentences and ingage in conversation, fatugue. I see little to no improvement dailey and in some way it feels worse. 90% sexual numbness, can only feel emotion in dreams, in the day i feel mostly like a corpse braught alive by battery acid injections when i do have emotion its either depression or its muted and barely present. The range of emotion is hard to feel. Forlorn and nostalgia are the most common felt emotions..

Although now i recognize the sole cause of all this is not the pill. It is extreme stress anxiety and depression along with the Placebo Affect + medical anxiety.. This may have been triggered by the medication but now that it is out of my system and seeing i only took it for a day it has left no long term effect on me. I just need to learn coping skills and make life style changes that will lead me to a full recovery.

Hello,

My name is Sean, I've been dealing with stress and anxiety for the past two years, it has gotten particularly bad lately, to the point were i could no longer cope, i was going to therapy but that wasn't enough either, so i went to a psychiatrist and was prescribed Zoloft. Since i took Zoloft on the 26th, i haven't felt emotion. Please if you have the time read what i wrote below. if anyone has experienced what im feeling. I need help. I cant stand this please.

(took the pill 10:00PM 26th)

(October 27th 4:00PM)Believe it or not I already feel my medication, it felt pretty good at first but as the day went on I felt more and more drained. The best way I can describe it is zombie like. I feel detached and emotionless. I don’t feel happy sad or anything. I don’t see a point socializing, or anything else for that matter. I just see everything in a logical sense. And I don’t like it, I felt the same way when I was put on Add medication in middle school. I don’t feel happy sad scared stressed anxious shy glad excited, when my brother talked to me about possibly doing airsoft I didn’t feel anything, normally that would have excited me even if i was stressed. Is it possible this side effect will go away over time? Or should I find another medication. Don’t get me wrong its not making me depressed, I just feel nothing. I haven’t felt this way since middle school when I was put on an add medication.

(October 27th 11:00PM)
I still feel the side effects, they should have been gone by now i mean heck its been over 22 hours the average duration of a 50mg dose of Zoloft is 22 hours, i took a 25mg. I can't stop crying witch is strange for me, i don't normally cry even when things are really bad, the strangest part is that when i cry i don't feel sad or scared my brain register the fact that i feel sad and scared but i don't feel it in my heart. Its like my heart and mindhave been separated. My mind tells me I'm sad, my face looks like I'm sad when i look in a mirror but i don't feel (FEEL) sad. It should have been gone hours ago. Im going to try to get some rest.

(October 28th 9:30PM)
I just woke up around 30 minutes ago. It was strange i didn't recognize myself at first nor my surroundings my brain was just on a tangent of nonsensceicle thoughts and ideas. i was conversing with people who didn't exist. About things that didn't make any sense. I feel a little better now. I still feel sick in my stomach. Id say the only thing that really changed is that now instead of feeling completely numb i feel weird. Jittery, almost light headed. i feel my heart again witch is suppose is good news. but it feels weird almost light. Im starting to feel sick again. My head almost feel like its heavy one moment then full of helium the next. My emotions still feel numb. The nauseas back.

I feel like I'm failing in and out of reality, its really strange. Is it possible to be feeling this after only taking the pill one day? Are these side effects normal? Should these side effects be gone by now? How long do you believe it will take for these side effects to subside and leave me feeling normal again? Is it possible that this medication somehow permanently (or in the long term) altered the chemical make up of my brain? Its strange whenever i try to focus on my surroundings and life i get sick, confused and a little scared. When i try to focus on reality i feel a little emotion but when i let myself zone out witch only take second a second it feels like all my emotions have been muted.

Please if you have any knowledge or experience concerning these side effects and zoloft please respond. I just need to know weather this will go away soon or not. And if it is normal to still feel the effects of a 25mg pill over 32 hours after taking it.

I feel sad happy and scared at the same time when i focus on things its as if the group is moving a little. Best way to describe how i feel emotionally is confused. This is very weird especially seeing its been over 32 hour since i took the 25mg pill. Its also strange seeing this is only my first day i hear most people don't feel anything the first day. Also a little background I'm very sensitive to medication. i took 50 mg of Benadryl and that practically made me lose conciseness after waking up i was angry and confused for a week. Eventually it wore off. Point being I'm I'm high sensitive to medication so that might have something to do with it. Anyway please respond as soon as you can, i hat the idea that this may last weeks if not months, i know its not logical but nor is the fact that i feel this way 32 hours after taking a 25 mg pill for my very first time. Once again if you have any knowledge on the subject of Zoloft i would really appreciate a response. Thank you.

Can i expect this to go away in the next week or two? Is it permanent? I also feel really lackadaisical... I feel like my emortions are just chemical reactions i cant feel them in my body... my heart. please respond.

I know it's scary. It should go away in a couple weeks, perhaps, though it will get better before then.

Don't go back to your shrink with this news. They don't know what they're doing and often don't care as well. The quack will be only too glad to brand you with some stigmatizing "diagnosis" from the DSMV and put you on so many drugs you won't be able to dress yourself, let alone think straight or feel anything! There's no emotional or cognitive problem we face that a shrink can't make 100x worse.

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Right now, however I have been taking:

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

TheWayfarer -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Start-up effects of medications are acknowledged by doctors and pharma manufacturers. Some people do respond quickly to the presence of these drugs, much sooner than the expected 4-6 weeks. I have twice had fast reactions to medications: once positively to Effexor, and once negatively to Zoloft which I discontinued after getting a prescription for another medication from my doctor.

You can read up on Zoloft at these two links:
Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)
Drugs[dot]com information on zoloft

This site's purpose is to assist people in safely discontinuing pscyhiatric medications. You might find better information about being on the medications on sites such as depressionforums.org  or patientslikeme.com.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hello wayfarer, you likely had an adverse reaction. Adverse reactions can happen after only a few pills. Zoloft is an SSRI. SSRIs often block emotions. It can take a while until the symptoms go away.

Just out of interest: Does your heart feel calmer? Can you still perceive adrenaline? Do you have sexual symptoms?

By the way this is the right forum as you don't take Zoloft anymore.

Don't forget to report your story to the drug agency when you feel better. That's important because many physicians don't know anything about this.

Hello wayfarer, you likely had an adverse reaction. Adverse reactions can happen after only a few pills. Zoloft is an SSRI. SSRIs often block emotions. It can take a while until the symptoms go away.

Just out of interest: Does your heart feel calmer? Can you still perceive adrenaline? Do you have sexual symptoms?

By the way this is the right forum as you don't take Zoloft anymore.

Yes i have all the symptoms you listed... Especially the lack of feeling adrenaline, im stressed and anxious so i know im being loaded with adrenaline but i just cant feel it.. Why do you ask?

You will be fine. Just give it some weeks.

Now you know that you are very sensitive to ssri's and should never take one again.

I had an immediate reaction to zoloft as well. Felt zombielike, panicky and very strange. Sadly enough I trusted my doctor who said it would get better. In a few months I was hooked on it, it has taken a very long time to get off. I would never ever recommend antidepressants to anyone...

So, just hang in there. You will recover from this. Just take good care of your self. And for the future, try to find alternative ways to deal with stress. There are so many ways, yoga, meditation, exercise, therapy (maybe you didnt find the right therapist?).

All the best,

Amy

(Scallywag, why do you mention those others sites? He just took one pill and is off.)

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

I'm confused by the replies because some seem to assume you will keep taking the drug and others that you will not take any more of it. Since you seem to be having such adverse reactions, I'm guessing you will not continue taking it. Report back on how you feel. Good luck!

---

Lorazepam: (2014-15 1-1.5 mg lorazepam [aka Ativan] at night; 2016 to Nov 2018: 0.75 mg lorazepam at night; Dec 2018: divide dose into 3x a day. Jan 2019: taper 5% every 15 days; Held 9/2019 - 2/2020 at 0.35 mg). March 2020 started 2.5% taper every 15 days. Nov 2020 tapering 5% every 15 days. Dose divided into 2x a day. Now at 0.008 mg March 2023. Sertraline:  Jan 2017 25 mg: began 10% per month taper. Went on "exit strategy" at 0.084 mg Nov 2020 for 8 weeks, 0.042 for 4 weeks, 0.028 for 2 weeks starting 2/25/21, then 0.014 for 2 weeks, then .007 for a while, Done May 4, 2021. Unfortunately due to circumstances I restarted at 25 mg January 2022. New taper began January 2023. 

• Moderator Emeritus

In WayFarer's 1st post, 2nd paragraph:

"Or should I find another medication."

I believe that Scallywag's comment:

"This site's purpose is to assist people in safely discontinuing pscyhiatric medications. You might find better information about being on the medications on sites such as depressionforums.org  or patientslikeme.com."

was in response to this question.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes i have all the symptoms you listed... Especially the lack of feeling adrenaline, im stressed and anxious so i know im being loaded with adrenaline but i just cant feel it.. Why do you ask?

Because I know these symptoms.

So you also have sexual dysfunction caused by one pill of Zoloft? If I may ask: Just less arousal or genital anesthesia, asexuality, anorgasmia, ejaculation disorder, erectile dysfunction?

Have you ever taken any other psychiatric medication in the past? Sometimes people who take other meds before then set themselves up for an adverse reaction later.

December 2010: 10mg Citalopram

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

July 2011: Cold turkey - Withdrawal hell begins...

January 2021: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram as last resort

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

4 April 2022: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram - Anxiety + foggy head

5 April 2022: Stopped Citalopram - More lasting damage...

• Administrator

Welcome, TheWayfarer.

You're having an adverse reaction to the drug. One tablet will gradually wear off over a few days.

It's up to you to decide whether you want to continue to experiment with psychiatric drugs. They all have side effects. One very common side effect is sexual dysfunction. Another is emotional anesthesia. Another is sleep disturbance. And they can be difficult to discontinue.

Please look at drugs.com to educate yourself about side effects before taking any drug.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I really appreciate all your responses, it is definitely reassuring to hear that the side effects will wear off over time.. My fear is that my brain has been permanently altered or at-least altered in the long run and i will no longer be able to feel emotion to the full extend i used to feel them... Is this a valid fear?

As for an update, around three hours ago i was bombarded with a sudden onset of stress and anxiety. Once again my brain doesn't feel stressed and anxious my body does its strange its as if my bran and heart are disconnected. My stomach hurts pretty bad and my back aches. I also feel like I'm fading in and  out of reality, all of a sudden i get numb then the numbness wears off. Most of you said i should be feeling completely better in a week or two... But as i said i cant help but fear for the worst.

Will i make a full recovery? Ive heard of people who have experienced emotional numbness due to Zoloft, and didn't recover... Also is it possible stres and anxiety is making the numbness worse? Is this side effect usually short term?

(and to clarify yes i did stop taking the medication after the first dose)

Because I know these symptoms.

So you also have sexual dysfunction caused by one pill of Zoloft? If I may ask: Just less arousal or genital anesthesia, asexuality, anorgasmia, ejaculation disorder, erectile dysfunction?

The day after taking the medication i lost all feeling in that aria. It was if it had been numbed, i still sort of feel that but have recovered slightly. Should i be worried about thees mental/physical symptoms becoming long term? I'm afraid i may never regain my emotions.. And recover to my pre-pill state.

I was just wandering, should i expect these emotional side effects to be long term? From my research many people who have experienced this never fully recovered or at-least they never claimed a full recovery. I cant stand living like this... Please if you know anything about what I'm going through any information that could bring things to light would be very much appreciated. Have you seen anyone else with thees symptoms who recovered?

Edited by ChessieCat
Font changed.

• Moderator Emeritus

"From my research many people who have experienced this never fully recovered or at-least they never claimed a full recovery. "

It could be that ones who post are the ones who continue to have issues.  We have a similar thing here at SA where it can be hard to find successful withdrawal recovery stories because people who heal no longer need the support of this forum.  Once they have the information about tapering and things are going well they no longer need to be here and go on about their lives.

You might find these helpful in understanding how the drugs change the brain:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

What is Happening in Your Brain

It's going to take time, patience, not stressing about the symptoms you have and not turning to other prescription, non-prescription or supplements.

I believe that stress diverts the brain's attention away from doing what it needs to do to regain homeostatis.  When we stress, the brain needs to deal with it and goes into fight or flight mode.  It is a good idea to learn non-drug coping techniques:

1. Acceptance
  2. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  3. Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)
  4. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  5. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  6. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  8. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons
  9. Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis
  10. Journalling - Therapeutic Writing & Health Benefits
  11. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms
  12. Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Wayfarer, many people do recover from such brief exposure. As ChessieCat posted, the ones who have difficulty are the ones posting online searching for support and answers, a phenomenon known as reporting bias.

It's important that you remember you had this response to Zoloft (sertraline) You may want to consider avoiding this class of drugs altogether,  SSRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Familiarize yourself with the names of the drugs in the class. If in the future a doctor prescribes one for you or another psychiatric drug, let him/her know of your experience with Zoloft and ask A LOT of questions.

Two supplements that most people do well on while dealing with symptoms of a destabilized CNS (central nervous system):
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

These are both nutrients that are lacking in the diets of most people in the developed world. You may not notice huge improvements in your symptoms right away; the effects of these are more subtle. There are posts listing food sources in the topics, if you'd rather not try supplements.

Pick one of them, take ¼ or ½ of the bottle's recommended dose for 4-7 days. Monitor and record your symptoms. If you notice no negative reaction, increase by ¼ of the recommended dose again; monitor and record symptoms for 4-7 days. Repeat the increase until you reach the recommended amount.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you for your responses. My final concern is concerning the recovery process. Once i do recover, can i expect my personality to return to normal? I feel strange on this pill, harsh and intense.. Seeing i only took one pill will my brain recover even though i went cold turkey? Its hard for me to believe my brain underwent that large of a change after only one pill.. Also what diet do you recommend for detoxifying and recovering from Zoloft? Thanks.

Should i continue going cold turkey or should i go back on the pill but with 10mg instead of 25 then slowly ease off...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/13383-cold-turkey-or-taper/

Hello,

For those of you who don't know my story i will provide a brief summery. Although it would rpobably help you answer my question if you read my introduction post.

After taking one 25mg Zoloft i felt like i had a stomach bug and got sick, i also lost my ability to feel adrenaline and emotion. That was on the 26th. Its been two and a half days since i took my pill yet i still feel emotionless heartless. its as if i don't feel and when i do its more like a chemical reaction my head is running in circles..

Ive gone cold turkey since and have yet to feel any relief.. Should i continue cold turkey and just be pacient? Or should i taper?

Extra sorta off topic questions:
After two and a half days of no relief can i make the assumption that my emotions wont return? If they do will i be the same person?

Edited by Skeeter
moved from topic started in Symptoms forum (by CC) "Tapper" fix (Skeeter)

Thank you for your responses. My final concern is concerning the recovery process. Once i do recover, can i expect my personality to return to normal? I feel strange on this pill, harsh and intense.. Seeing i only took one pill will my brain recover even though i went cold turkey? Its hard for me to believe my brain underwent that large of a change after only one pill.. Also what diet do you recommend for detoxifying and recovering from Zoloft? Thanks.

Should i continue going cold turkey or should i go back on the pill but with 10mg instead of 25 then slowly ease off...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/13383-cold-turkey-or-taper/

i don't think this is quite a "cold turkey" situation, since  you just had one pill your body didn't get addicted to it... like everybody is saying it was just a bad reaction, in my opinoin you should just stay away from this, and never touch a antidepressant again.

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question.

You'll need to be patient.  Recovery from a negative reaction to a medication takes time. Your CNS (central nervous system) will do the work and take the time that it needs to do it. We can't predict how long it will take for your CNS.

scallywag's Introduction

Hello all,

When i first woke up i felt a little bit better think, i still cant feel adrenaline associated with stress attacks. My my heart aria still feels numb and so so my emotions.... Things don't seem to have changed very much since three days ago. Currently I'm having a headache witch i suppose may be a good sign seeing i was unable to feel headaches yesterday. Still feel a little sick and like i have some bug in my stomach... I'm having a really hard time believing that one pill could do all this damage. I just hope my brain isn't beyond repair ... I'm also having trouble thinking and processing sentences to which is abnormal for me. Perhaps I'm stressed and because i cant feel the adrenaline I'm not noticing it as much? My muscles still feel weak and my sex drive is practically non existent(especially strange for a 17 year old). Once again I'm going to ask the same questions.. Why is it taking so long to wear off? (amusing it is wearing off) Can i expect a full recovery if i barely feel any better and its been three days? Is there even a chance any of this could be permanent? Do you guys know of any cases were someone has had the same thing happen to them and they have recovered? What will my recovery process most likely look like? And if and when i do recover will my personality and "talents" be the same?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but i believe this article shed allot of light on what I'm going through. Acording to this article http://www.progressivehealth.com/low-serotonin-symptoms.htm

(SSRI's reduce serotonin levels)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mad-in-america/201011/new-rat-study-ssris-markedly-deplete-brain-serotonin

"Most of the serotonin produced in the body are found in the enterochromaffin cells of the gastrointestinal tract. In the gut, serotonin is chiefly responsible for regulating intestinal movement."

This may explain why my gut feels strange and why my intestines feel numb.. But when i get "windows" its as if the lower half of my body turn on?

Emotional Symptoms of Low Serotonin Levels

• Emotional numbness and social withdrawal – sufferers lose interest in social engagements and experience dour moods
  • Depression – this is the classic sign of low serotonin levels and the reason drugs such as SSRIs that increase serotonin levels are used as antidepressants
  • Increased emotional sensitivity – this can present as low self-confidence, low self-esteem and low threshold to taking offence. This leads to sudden crying spells and bouts of sadness
  • Loss of interest in sexual activities and irritability
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder

My current theory is that when i took the medication my brain had to adjust to the heightened Serotonin Levels that it wasn't used to. So it turned off certain Serotonin producers and got rid of "extra" stored Serotonin. Half way through the day was when i felt the most emotionally numb. Perhaps that is because that is when my pill stopped releasing Serotonin and the stored Serotonin from the pill began to dicipate. Now i am left with a body that does not produce Serotonin as quickly as it used to.

Witch leaves me with

• Emotional numbness(inability to feel emotion)
  • No sex drive
  • No adrenaline when stress hits
  • Random crying spells that last minutes
  • Strange feeling in gut
  • Feeling as if gut isn't working
  • Feeling of a void were my heart used to be
  • Random emotions occasionally

"In the drug-maintained rats, serotonin content at the end of 17 days was “reduced by 60% on average in nine areas of the brain,” compared to controls. This depletion appears to be part of a compensatory response to the drug. Since an SSRI blocks the normal reuptake of serotonin from the synaptic cleft, the neurotransmitter stays in this extracellular space longer than normal, and in response, the brain’s synthesis of serotonin dramatically decreases. As a result, serotonin levels in brain tissues end up markedly depleted"

This also explains why i feel slightly better when i wake up and then quickly get worse again.. Most people produce Serotonin in there sleep.

So my question is (on top of all the other questions i asked above)

Should i expect this to heal on its own or should i take steps to help my brain heal and produce Serotonin?

Should i take a supplement that helps my brain produce Serotonin? Like papaya extract?

What do you believe has happened to me?

Thank you all for your time

-Sean

PS:

(scallywag) Thank you for your response, i understand its hard to predict how long it will take and even if it will reach homeostasis but I'm sure you have seen people like me.. Who are very sensitive to medication and even after one dose had such a devastating reaction. I'm just looking for more information...

Edited by ChessieCat
deleted obscenities

• Administrator

When we say "it will take some time," we mean it will probably be months, perhaps many months, of gradual recovery.

Please read

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Immediate adverse reactions to SSRIs? How long for recovery?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I think the best thing to do is avoid supplements and try and keep things stable and the same. Often taking supplements can make things worse and it can be hard to tell if the symptom is caused by the supplement or not. Exercises is probably the most important thing you can do.

I have seen people have this kind of reaction to SSRIs before almost exactly as you describe. No emotions and no sex drive being the main symptoms. Some people seem to be very sensitive to these drugs. I think your brain changed very quickly after the drug was introduced to your system. Down regulation of receptors/transporters or various other mechanisms involved in keeping serotonin in balance. I think it can improve but it will probably take a significant period of time. The most important thing is to take things slowly and try to avoid stress.

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

many months? I appreciate the response and don't want you guys to sugar coat your responses but i have a hard time believing that after taking only one pill i can feel its after effect for months, i checked the links you provided and it seemed that the people who had a simaler reaction as me to Zoloft were on the pill longer than a day. Yes my mind did change rapidly but how can that mean months? I'm 17 for goodness sake in my junior year... Will my sex drive and emotions return sooner seeing I'm 17 and was only on the pill for a day? I trust your opinion, after all you know much more than i do about the subject. I just want to make sure that your not generalizing. So in a nutshell, are you sure it could take months if i was only on the pill for a day? 

Will i never get back to my former self?

Will i ever get my sex drive back?

When we say "it will take some time," we mean it will probably be months, perhaps many months, of gradual recovery.

Please read

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Immediate adverse reactions to SSRIs? How long for recovery?

Please just answer

• Administrator

You've had a bad accident. You will need to learn to be patient.

If this issue is that im not producing the right amount of chemicles shlould i go on a medication that produces them for me?

• Administrator

No. Your nerves need to recover. Don't beat them up.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

and our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms.

Trust the process, TheWayfarer. Try not to freak out. You cant make this undone anyway.

Let the time pass and believe in your recovery.

You are young and you will get out of this.

Be kind to your self. Take care.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

The process will happen though right? I wont feel this way forever? My body will achieve homeostasis?

No one can answer that question. It's like when people get traumatic brain injuries. The doctors will never say, you will recover in X months because they don't know. Everyone is different. All they can say is that you will most likely notice improvements in time.

My head i begining to sting and burn.. so is my neck. Especally my scalp. My sholders are allso getting warmer along with my back. My eyes are allso starting to hurt. Does this mean my brain is recovering? I allso feel pain on the left side of my neck in the nerve aria. And now it feels cool..heart palpitations feel sick when i eat.

My neck has allso become dry. I know ots pretty redundant of me to be posting hourly or even dailey updates when new symptoms hit me. Im sure its a dailey acruabce for you "vetrans" im just having trouble copeing with the idea of feeling this way for a long time.... it was just one 25mg pill for goodness sake. Anyway i apricaite all the support.

• Administrator

Are you a person who tends to get very anxious about your health?