SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TheWayfarer: Zoloft Side Effect + Emotionless

TheWayfarer

My ability to think rationally has also been clouded. I often find myself thinking impulsive iradic thoughts. Even terribel thoughts dont seem to effect me. I have lost all feeling of empathy and its killing me. My life used to be guided by a compass. Instead of magnets this compass had emotion. Every decision i made was done based of emotion, gut feeling and set morals. Now my compass is gone and i am lost.

On the 29th i took zoloft 25mg. Since then i have suffered from savere apathy, low sex drive, nasua, cognative imparment, impulsiveness, inablility to plan properly, inability to properly construct sentences and ingage in conversation, fatugue. I see little to no improvement dailey and in some way it feels worse. 90% sexual numbness, can only feel emotion in dreams, in the day i feel mostly like a corpse braught alive by battery acid injections when i do have emotion its either depression or its muted and barely present. The range of emotion is hard to feel. Forlorn and nostalgia are the most common felt emotions..

Although now i recognize the sole cause of all this is not the pill. It is extreme stress anxiety and depression along with the Placebo Affect + medical anxiety.. This may have been triggered by the medication but now that it is out of my system and seeing i only took it for a day it has left no long term effect on me. I just need to learn coping skills and make life style changes that will lead me to a full recovery.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWayfarer

• scallywag

• ChessieCat

• Shep

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

You're posting several times a day listing your symptoms and your thoughts about them. It's possible that you find this helpful.  Please use a journal for these kinds of updates.  Here's our topic about journalling:

Journaling/Journalling/Writing Therapy/Therapeutic Writing

There are many apps you can use on your phone to keep a journal. Check Google Play or iTunes for what's available.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

This is the last time i will post on the forum in a while and i mean that. in order for me to get better i must continue with my life as if nothing changed i accept that now. Sulking wont change anything. But i must ask, is it normal to feel as if in some ways you are getting worse during recovery? Today i completely lost it and now i am having allot of cognitive difficulties, thinking, talking, constructing sentences, exedra. I understand how fortunate i am and how things could be worse, my family and i are constructing a plan for me to deal with this. But in the meantime i need to know. Should i make sure that what i am experiencing is not a major brain infection or something of that sort before i move forward? 

On the 29th i took zoloft 25mg. Since then i have suffered from savere apathy, low sex drive, nasua, cognative imparment, impulsiveness, inablility to plan properly, inability to properly construct sentences and ingage in conversation, fatugue. I see little to no improvement dailey and in some way it feels worse. 90% sexual numbness, can only feel emotion in dreams, in the day i feel mostly like a corpse braught alive by battery acid injections when i do have emotion its either depression or its muted and barely present. The range of emotion is hard to feel. Forlorn and nostalgia are the most common felt emotions..

Although now i recognize the sole cause of all this is not the pill. It is extreme stress anxiety and depression along with the Placebo Affect + medical anxiety.. This may have been triggered by the medication but now that it is out of my system and seeing i only took it for a day it has left no long term effect on me. I just need to learn coping skills and make life style changes that will lead me to a full recovery.

• Moderator Emeritus

You ask, "is it normal to feel as if in some ways you are getting worse during recovery?"

Yes, symptoms come and go, get stronger and then weaken. This happens over and over again until the times when the symptoms are weak or non-existent get longer and longer. A wave of symptoms may pop up and you notice, hey I haven't had one of these in a while. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I really dont know what to do right now, i feel constantly on the verge of insanity. I am pumped full of chemicals that give me energy on moment and that feeling makes me go crazy then the next im empty again. I really dont know what to do. I know i have to be paciant and ride this out but my parents are convinced that what im going through is in my head.. (you know what i mean) its hard for me to explain to them i litrally cant control my withdrawal affects

I feel sick one moment happy another then manic, sometimes i need my brother to read things for me and i cant think, my mind goes on rants. My parents think im going mad from stress that i cant control. Doctors want me to go on mood stabilizers and my brother thinks i should join a nature leadership program for X drug addicts. Im so lost, having trouble typing this my head is waying back and fourth rythmicly i feel like screaming and running around the neighborhood naked. I am so out of it. I need help. Please. Should i see someone? Should i take stabalizers? Should i get hypnosis? Am i going mad? Do i have brain damage? I am losing my sanity and thats no exaggeration. Is that noramal for recovery? I felt much more sain erlear in the week. Please repsond directly and adress evrything. I cant think for myself veryweel and my brother and family all have there own ideas i need advice from you folks 

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you still attending school?  What activities are you doing throughout the day?  Are you going to bed at a regular time?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

No i was pulled out of school temporarily, i am sleeping at a regular time. But please answer my question im sizzy diszz y

having terrible jolts

• Moderator Emeritus

What have you tried to do to calm yourself?  Please tell us what things you are trying and how they work for you.  Do you have a dog you can take out for a walk?  Do you have somewhere outside where you can go and bounce a basketball?  What things do you usually do with your time?  Is there anything around the house which needs painting, or windows which need washing?  Does the garden need weeding or the yard need mowing?

It is important to learn non-drug techniques to cope with the difficulties rather than turning to a drug that may or may not help or work and could also make things worse.

As I said before, we can make suggestions but we can't do it for you. You have to do things to help yourself. By continually focussing on the way you are feeling it becomes a downward spiral. You need to find things will help you to remain calmer regardless of how you are feeling. If you don't make an effort to do this, you may end up in hospital where you will most probably be given drug/s. It's time for you to draw on all the strength you have to settle yourself.

Try not to think too far ahead. At the moment you just need to get through each day at a time. Sometimes it might be that you just focus on getting through the next hour, sometimes just the next minute.

I suggest you read these links to try and find things which can help you get through this:

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

1. Acceptance
  2. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  3. Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)
  4. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  5. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  6. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  8. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons
  9. Guided Meditations, Calming Videos
  10. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms
  11. Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly)

JanCarol, one of the other mods, likes the "legs up the wall" yoga position.  She also likes to soak her legs in a bucket with Magnesium and epsom-salts-baths-another-way-to-relax-with-magnesium

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I just bit a paper in half with a pic of a dog on it i thonk im losing my mind i dont know what to do

• Moderator Emeritus

Answers to your questions

Should i see someone?

Seeing a psychologist/therapist might be helpful for you even just to ground you and get you focused on coping skills. It should be someone who understands that severe adverse reactions DO occur after a single dose. I don't know any professionals in your area or in your health network.

Should i take [mood] stabalizers?

I don't know whether you should take "mood stabilizer" medication.  They're likely suggesting a benzodiazepine such as Xanax, Klonopin, Valium. Benzos may either help you, or do nothing, or make things worse. It would be worth getting fully informed by asking and understanding

• why "mood stabilizer" medication is under consideration
  • which "mood stabilizer" medication is being considered
  • what is that doctor's actual experience with patients who take this specific "mood stabilizer" drug after having had a bad reaction to another drug

Note: You may be in a difficult situation being under the age of 18.  Depending on the rules in your state, your parents may have legal authority over your medical care and treatment until you turn 18.

Should i get hypnosis?

It's unlikely to help you and more likely just remove money from your/your family's wallet and put it in the hypotherapist's wallet.

Am i going mad?

No.

Do i have brain damage?

No.

scallywag's Introduction

Ok im sorry i just cant im sorry, i was very dizzy and i couldnt read or write, when i was getting the attack, it didnt make any sence i lost my sanity i went insane i bit a peace of paper in half i howled like an animal i couldnt control my arms i felt manic. Is that a side effect of zoloft withdrawal?

I am sorry i dont mean to be ignoring you all but i just really need help. We are getting an MRI and cat scan to make sure it isnt anything serous but chances are it is SSRI withdrawl, is my CNS just throwing a fit?

And if so is this a sign of recovery? Or worsening symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

Please listen to this a few times to try and get yourself calmer:

We are contacting an emergency doc for thees answers but it would save me allot of worry if you guys could answer as directly as possible. I know this conatnt worry is bad for my health and recovery, i have already accepted my current situation and am ready to take steps to deal with anxiaty and stress.

Please

could this be my body regaining the ability to feel adrenaline?

• Moderator Emeritus

Please listen to this a few times to try and get yourself calmer:

• Moderator Emeritus

I answered your questions in a post above.

From one of Shep's posts on the previous page:

tumblr_nsj9tcMOgY1qkv5xlo1_500.gif

scallywag's Introduction

I did and i feel calmer, i really appreciate it. But i would still appreciate it if you would answer my question directly...

Pertaining to the jolts and manic noises, is this normal for pssd or ssri withdrawl, is this a sign of recovery? and should i be concerned?

• Moderator Emeritus

These are all signs of a dysregulated CNS (central nervous system). I don't know about the ability to feel adrenaline.

You are obviously concerned; I'm not going to tell you not to feel what you're feeling or not to think what you're thinking.  They are distressing, uncomfortable, and painful symptoms.

I will be reading other people's updates and questions now, and then tending to my own life.

I hope that you get some answers and relief when you meet with the doctor.

scallywag's Introduction

Now my doc wants me to take mystery pills, he wont tell me the name but asures me there are no adverse side effects. I am not being fully informed for "my own good" Im tired of this bullSH** im sorry i am still experncing side effects from on bloody SSRI i feel like throwing up i cant feel emotion and the docter has the guts to give me another bottle of pills and refuses to tell me the name or the reason "for my own good"

• Moderator Emeritus

Now my doc wants me to take mystery pills, he wont tell me the name but asures me there are no adverse side effects. I am not being fully informed for "my own good" Im tired of this bullSH** im sorry i am still experncing side effects from on bloody SSRI i feel like throwing up i cant feel emotion and the docter has the guts to give me another bottle of pills and refuses to tell me the name or the reason "for my own good"

Wayfarer, I'm going to give you some advice, and I really hope you take it to heart.

You need to control yourself, especially around doctors. There is no way any of us can know what is going on with you or your situation, especially on an online environment, but all I can tell you is if you act out around a doctor with your history of being on psych drugs, you may find yourself in a position where you're being given drugs you may not wish to take.

I was your age when I was forced on drugs, so all I can do is give you some advice - go through this thread and start learning how to calm yourself down with the breathing techniques that have been given to you. We can't do this work for you. It's up to you. 

I do fear if you keep spinning out of control, you may very well end up in a hospital and on drugs, most likely an antipsychotic.  And I would hate for that to happen to you. 

This is a very powerful breathing technique that can really help with panic. Look for "peace", not "panic". This video will walk you through how to do the 4-7-8 breathing technique:

Shep i really appreciate the repsonce, i understand that and will keep it in mind.

Aparently my doc thinks i have schizophrenia... I dont know enough about schizophrenia to come to a conclusion, mabye you huys can help me out with it. Is it possible it could have been triggered by an SSRI? that would explain the personality change, inability to feel emotion, sex drive change, panic attacks, irational thoughts. Oh lord that would be terrible if i developed schizophrenia while trying to get better from OCD...

• Moderator Emeritus

No one really knows what schizophrenia is. It's a catch-all label and is used a lot for any sort of out of control behavior.

For many people, it's a temporary crisis state that manifests in many ways. But no, a medication can't cause schizophrenia, even though many psychiatrists will say that a medication can "unmask" a mental illness. That has been proven false. Medication, drugs, and alcohol can cause adverse reactions, but they don't "cause" schizophrenia. 

Think safe, calming thoughts. Blue skies, calm ocean waves. You seem to have an active imagination, try to use it to help yourself, not scare yourself. 

Can you control your behavior right now? Can you sit still, do the 4-7-8 breathing exercise, and calm yourself? Deep breaths. Calming breaths. 

Thank you shep your advice is very calming... Docs would have me believe i am a depressed, paranoid schizophrenic maniac. And consequently want me to take loads of meds to treat thees new symptoms. Even though the meds caused this in the first place! This nation is truly drunk on medication.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Your family are worried about you and just want to do something to help you to feel better.

Now that you seem to be calmer, if they want you to take the tablets you could say that you would like to wait for a little while to see if you start to improve.  If you can stay as settled as possible, and not "act out", they may start to see that you are more able to handle what you are going through and not try and talk you into taking the tablets.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you shep your advice is very calming... Docs would have me believe i am a depressed, paranoid schizophrenic maniac. And consequently want me to take loads of meds to treat thees new symptoms. Even though the meds caused this in the first place! This nation is truly drunk on medication.  

Yep, it is a "nation drunk on medication"! You said the truth, my friend.

You sound calmer. A bit more at peace. That's really good to hear. 

You're a smart one, Wayfarer. You researched Zoloft after only one pill. Give yourself a ton of credit for doing that, for being so insightful and smart. I couldn't imagine anyone who truly has any sort of mental illness being able to do that. 

Now you just need to do some work on not acting out so you don't get yourself into trouble. Check out the links on mindfulness that are on your thread. I can't stress enough how powerful this is, and requires no drugs. You'll learn to not "attach" your thoughts to the chemical anxiety that's running through your body. You'll learn to breathe through your mental pain and keep yourself calm and still. And you'll survive this without more drugs. In fact, you'll come out the other side with a bit of a super power. Mindfulness IS a superpower. All of these non-drug coping skills are. 

I'm logging off for the night, but please read over the links that many of us have given you here on your thread. Tons of great non-drug coping skills to see you through this.

And let us know what you find, if there's a certain non-drug coping skill, a video, or perhaps some gentle music that "speaks" to you. Look at this as an adventure. Your goal is to find something that you can hold onto to help guide you through this. 

Wayfarer, once you survive this, your regular OCD is going to pale in comparison, especially as you pick up these types of skills. One skill builds on the next. That's how it becomes a super power. That's the real take away from this experience. Don't sell yourself short and miss out on this. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

My head is vibrating, i have a feeling that it means im stressed. By the way thank you for the advice shep and cat it is very helpful. i will be getting involved in a local tia chi program.. Hopefully those skills will help me deal with stress on my road to recovery..

I just got allot of my emotion back not all of course but enough to feel semi human again, i credit this to my mental brake down last night. It seems that after you freak out it releases allot of emotional tension giving you the ability to feel emotion again. It seems my parents were partially correct after all. Its not all SSRI induced. Allot of it is "natrual". I am also feeling allot more energetic, its as if i got a second wind. I never thought that i would feel such a sudden improvement.

My heads been "buzzing" all day its as if something has opened the "adrenaline flood gates" in my body. its pretty hard to deal with but I'm sure if i give it time and put effort into coping techniques ill be able to regain more emotions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Wayfarer - your thread is difficult to read, as from here it looks like you have ramped yourself up, like Brassmonkey says, The Panic Spiral (available here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/page-4?p=253231#entry253231 )

Your blow-by-blow, minute-by-minute description of your symptoms - while it is valuable for you to write about them - makes it hard to read your thread, as you drone on about the brain damage, mind numbing experience.  Your experience is real - and I encourage you to express them - but perhaps in a journal instead of here.  In just a few days, you've accumulated 5 pages of panicked, self charged symptoms.

I'm sorry you have suffered - I know that Scally said that a reaction to one pill is an outlier, but actually there was a study done where there were brain changes after just one pill of SSRI, in most people.  

I agree with Shep that the ADD drugs might have set you up for sensitivity.

Here's my favorite Chi gung.  chi Gung is the medical root of Tai Chi, the martial art.  I was lucky enough to have a proper Tai Chi fighting school when I lived in Indiana.  In Australia, I had to take "Tai Chi for oldies" (Arthritis and Diabetes) and I find it helps with an attitude adjustment even though it is not as focused or demanding as my former Yang form.  But here's a sample of Chi Gung that you can do at home without taking a class:

Qi Gong: 7 Minutes of Magic for Health

Bipolar?  Schizophrenia?  These drugs do not "unmask" any diagnosis.  You cannot diagnose a drug side effect as a disorder or disease.  It is caused by the drug.  This is, sadly, something that doctors don't recognize, and so they whip out their diagnosis insurance codes and script pad.

Have you found out what the drug is that he wouldn't tell you?  I mean really, you can look up drugs on the internet by the way the pills look and the markings on them, if there is no label on it.  I would think that it is highly unethical if not actually illegal to dispense drugs in this way.

Let go of the fear of diagnosis, of the fear you are going mad, blah blah blah.  These are destructive thoughts and could take you down a rabbit hole of drugs and diagnosis that you might wake from in 20 years time wondering what happened?

Other mods have cautioned you to be careful in your behaviour around docs (and I would add, parents, as they want their children to be "normal" and have been conditioned to believe that "normal" is what the drug advertising tells them it is.)

I call it "getting caught."  Here's what I wrote to someone who was on court-ordered neuroleptic depot shots (yes, if you continue to act extremely, this could happen to you, too):

I believe in "mental diversity" (that is what I learned from Will Hall, a link that Alto gave you).  You can believe in whatever you want, and listen to whomever you want, including voices that nobody but you can hear - but when your behaviour crosses a certain line, you GET CAUGHT.  One of the early goals is to learn what behaviours get you CAUGHT and never go there.  Yelling loudly in public places.  Hiding on store shelves behind the merchandise.  Threatening behaviour (even if it is harmless, it makes people uncomfortable).  Publicly proclaiming your deep spiritual belief and asking others to join you in your revelation.  Public self harm.  Crying loudly in a public place but not talking to anyone for hours.  These are just a few examples that I personally have experienced with myself and close loved ones.  If you are on court ordered depot shots, you did something to GET CAUGHT.

Work on making choices that don't get you caught.  Raking leaves in your yard does not require emotional investment.  Walking around the block does not require your emotions. 

FAKE IT UNTIL YOU MAKE IT:  do the activities, even if you don't feel like it.  This is the adult thing to do, but sadly, many of us don't learn it until we are much older.  As Shep was saying, you have the opportunity to learn this stuff while young, and then there will be no stopping you.

It has only been 10 days.  You are young.  I know a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year seems like forever, but here's the thing.

While you may still be having symptoms at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, or even longer - you will gradually improve over time until the benefits of being drug free far outweigh the symptoms you've been experiencing.  Where you appreciate the sun more than you dread the clouds.

I want to get angry at politicians again! It feels so untrual talking about myself in this state.

Your brain is protecting you from extremes, like a cast protects a broken leg.  When your leg is broken, you don't want it getting knocked about.  The numbness you feel is your own brain protecting itself from more stress.

Ok im sorry i just cant im sorry, i was very dizzy and i couldnt read or write, when i was getting the attack, it didnt make any sence i lost my sanity i went insane i bit a peace of paper in half i howled like an animal i couldnt control my arms i felt manic. Is that a side effect of zoloft withdrawal?

When I was your age I did stuff like this just trying to deal with NORMAL ADOLESCENT REBELLION. 

Don't attach too much importance to it.

More important, don't "get caught" by extreme behaviours.

Then you wrote:  

Pertaining to the jolts and manic noises, is this normal for pssd or ssri withdrawl, is this a sign of recovery? and should i be concerned?

Here is a list of common symptoms of withdrawal.  When you get a symptom, check it against this list, or do a search of the forum to see if others have experienced it (Go to Google, type in "Survivingantidepressants.org" space "symptom" and you will get a list to choose from).  Or check this list - it doesn't have them all, but has the most common ones.   Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal

You can print out a bunch, and use it to track your own symptoms as they change and morph over time.  

Then, you posted, just as I was writing this:

I just got allot of my emotion back not all of course but enough to feel semi human again, i credit this to my mental brake down last night. It seems that after you freak out it releases allot of emotional tension giving you the ability to feel emotion again. It seems my parents were partially correct after all. Its not all SSRI induced. Allot of it is "natrual". I am also feeling allot more energetic, its as if i got a second wind. I never thought that i would feel such a sudden improvement.

Awesome!  You just had a window!  That means you will definitely heal.  Healing comes in Waves and Windows and this window will likely close again into a new wave of symptoms.  I tell you this not to freak you out - but so that you will be prepared, and you can say to yourself:  It's just withdrawal.  It's just a symptom.  It will pass.  

Because it will.  It will pass and you will get better.  You will have a window again, you just need to wait.  Clouds come and go, the sun is always there, even when you cannot see it.

Let us know the non-drug techniques you are trying to feel better, and which ones work for you - it helps us to know what helps with different people, and you can help us improve the site.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Unfortunately , none of this is " natural " and it's unlikely to be a result of your " breakdown".  It might be a window. It sounds like it. I would hang on to that, as that's how it feels.

I hope it keeps up long enough to notice a difference.  Sit with that and try to learn how that feels.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014