TheWayfarer: Zoloft Side Effect + Emotionless

TheWayfarer

• Moderator Emeritus

Wayferer is only 17. This is hard for everyone but when you are so young it may be even more difficult to deal wih it.

I know it's very hard because these sympotms are very disturbing. But they are not dangerous and they will pass. Nobody can say when. They will probably go away gradually.

We all have to repeat to ourselves: my brain is healing, I'm getting better. This isn't dangerous. It will go away.

The other strategy that helps is what our moderator Brass calls acknowldge (that symptoms are here), accept them (they can't hurt me) and float (try to go about your every day activities).

Try not to compare symptoms from one day to the next. How about you tell yourself you will not worry about things for let's say 10 days and then reassess?

You have a big advantage in that you learnt how evil these drugs are at an early age. You will get better soon. I promise :) 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWayfarer

• scallywag

• ChessieCat

• Shep

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for your sympathy. Belive it or not it does help somehwhat. I understand i shouldnt compare but i need to if i stop compareing i may get used to no emotions. For my family i cant let that happen. My brother is having a really hard time going through this to. He says it feels like he lost part of himself. Im not acting like myself im not jocking talking philosphy we used to dream about the future together. I cant feel that wonderlust i used to feel when talking about switzerland and the middle east. The alps and the himalyahs. Elephants and i just cant. I used to want tk help this nation whenever skmeone mentioned polatics i felt inclined to jump in and say my part my heart i remember used to feel on fire when i was talking. Everyone always thought i would go far. But how can i help the amarican people how can i connect with them if i cant connect with mysefl let alone my froends and family. A philosipher once said i think therefore i am. Thats wrong he should have said i FEEL therefore i am. I cant feel and i am not...

On the 29th i took zoloft 25mg. Since then i have suffered from savere apathy, low sex drive, nasua, cognative imparment, impulsiveness, inablility to plan properly, inability to properly construct sentences and ingage in conversation, fatugue. I see little to no improvement dailey and in some way it feels worse. 90% sexual numbness, can only feel emotion in dreams, in the day i feel mostly like a corpse braught alive by battery acid injections when i do have emotion its either depression or its muted and barely present. The range of emotion is hard to feel. Forlorn and nostalgia are the most common felt emotions..

Although now i recognize the sole cause of all this is not the pill. It is extreme stress anxiety and depression along with the Placebo Affect + medical anxiety.. This may have been triggered by the medication but now that it is out of my system and seeing i only took it for a day it has left no long term effect on me. I just need to learn coping skills and make life style changes that will lead me to a full recovery.

Is there usally an estimated time of reciver for theese type of things? Like an avarage time. Think off all the people you have seen with my symptoms who stopped taking the medication. How long did it take on avrage for them to feel themselves again?

On the 29th i took zoloft 25mg. Since then i have suffered from savere apathy, low sex drive, nasua, cognative imparment, impulsiveness, inablility to plan properly, inability to properly construct sentences and ingage in conversation, fatugue. I see little to no improvement dailey and in some way it feels worse. 90% sexual numbness, can only feel emotion in dreams, in the day i feel mostly like a corpse braught alive by battery acid injections when i do have emotion its either depression or its muted and barely present. The range of emotion is hard to feel. Forlorn and nostalgia are the most common felt emotions..

Although now i recognize the sole cause of all this is not the pill. It is extreme stress anxiety and depression along with the Placebo Affect + medical anxiety.. This may have been triggered by the medication but now that it is out of my system and seeing i only took it for a day it has left no long term effect on me. I just need to learn coping skills and make life style changes that will lead me to a full recovery.

And has there ever been a case were it hasnt gotten better? I know i should be like job but its hard. Because im missing out.. i know i am preeching to the quier but i want to feel better by thanksgiving,by christmas and at this rate i dont know. All information is apriciated...

Even when i cry i cant feel my heart.. thats not normal..

Allso one last thing i am told that i need to stabalize my life. I cant do that with my current schedule i stay up late doing homework usally and have to get up around 5:45 for school. My parrents are set agnst it and so am i, but i am willing to do anything that will speed up my recovery. Anything; Even if it means taking home school...

After doing even further research i belive i am suffering from atomotivational syndrome witch is usally trigured by ssri's or traumatic brain injury. This is usally found in younger people. All the cases i found on the internet include ages rangeing from 10 years to 17 years old.

This allso acording to my research directly corolates with frontal lobe disorder witch is allso can be trigured by brief ssri use. It is charcterised by apathy, change in personality, loss of motivation, fatugue, sex drive loss, cognative imparment(hard time constructing sentences and thinking about hard theories), impulsivness, and a host of other symptoms i am experncing. Usally damage done by frontal lobe disorder is mostly permanant and can worsen depending on weather there is an infection or not.

I feel like some of my symptoms are a little better but for the most part there worse. If i do have this syndrome then god help me. Because it would mean this is going to be long term and almost permanant...

I am going to see a nurolagist today to talk about this. He may run some tests. Hopefully its nothing and my brain is just withdrawing from a minor change induced by medication...

I feel like my brain is getting weaker and weaker im having a hard time thinking and constructing sentences. Remembering things. I used to have a image memory i cant remember images very well.

I feel like my thoughts are swimming waiding water. Clumsy and irrational.

• Moderator Emeritus

It will help us all if you post a signature. It's difficult for members who want to answer your questions and moderators if we have to review your entire thread to understand your history with medication.

It appears that you are using a mobile phone to post on the site. There are instructions and screen captures at these 2 posts in the Signature topic:

Post #8

Post #9

Nobody can predict how long your symptoms will last.  Your youth and the fact that you were only very briefly exposed to Zoloft are in your favour.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Wayfarer. 

You're digging yourself deep into a thought spiral that will no doubt make you feel worse.  

Try to "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms.

If nothing else, find some calming music, play a video game, go for a walk. At all costs, avoid using Dr. Google to do research right now. 

If you do need to research, try checking out the concept of neuroplasticity of the brain:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2653713383

http://www.ted.com/talks/sandrine_thuret_you_can_grow_new_brain_cells_here_s_how

This may take some time, but you are so lucky that you caught this early and are off the drug now.  Approach this with curiosity and not fear, as much as you can. Make sure you're eating healthy throughout the day, so you don't have issues with low blood sugar. Distract, calm yourself, keep your thoughts from spiraling and wandering by "changing the channel". 

Sending healing vibes your way.

I apricate the responce i just dont see a point in anything without my emotions..

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand i shouldnt compare but i need to if i stop compareing i may get used to no emotions.

I know this is very hard to stop because I spent over a decade comparing myself with other people and myself before. That's why I know that comparing is the main source of your suffering at the moment.

Im not acting like myself im not jocking talking philosphy we used to dream about the future together. I cant feel that wonderlust i used to feel...

Again, this is all temporary. Imagine that you broke your leg. You would have to accept that for a certain time (not in a matter of days) you wouldn't be able to carry out your usual activities. Your brain sustained a kind of injury and it temporarily cannot perform its previous functions. In the same way we can't play football, run or even go to a store with a broken leg or brain temporarily doesn't act like itself, can't feel things, form sentences, and all the other things you mention. It can't do that in the same way a broken leg isn't able to carry us around.

So what do we do? We accept it is broken and that we must rest and withdraw from our usual activities.

i am willing to do anything that will speed up my recovery.

It takes time to heal a broken leg. There is really nothing much we can do to speed the process and it takes a certain amount of time for it to happen. There are certain things that will prolong the process: if we keep moving our leg or if we worry too much. There are certain things that will help our brain to heal: stay calm and stay positive, avoid stressing yourself with stories of doom, investigating symptoms, convincing yourself that you have some horrible syndromes... It's a part of the brain's malfunctioning that we want to do precisely that but any little attempt to refrain from such activities is very helpful.

Use this time into developing some calming skills. I use application calm.com. Just 3 mins of body scan can do wonders. Why were you prescribed Zoloft in the first place?

As Shep suggested, try to go about your daily activities and do as much as you can to avoid working yourself up into a frenzy.

I suggested a moratorium on worry :)

I feel like some of my symptoms are a little better but for the most part there worse.​

You already started recovering! This will continue and slowly and gradually symptoms will get little by little better. They don't disappear over night but they ease up gradually until you wake up one day and realise they had left.

In the meantime stay positive and calm. That will speed up the process.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I really apriciate, i just saw a nurolagist and he said it is imposible that i could feel this way from meds and ots all in my head. Lol even if it wasnt my med that dod this somthing is doing this to me! I cant hold down my food i cant feel emotion im feel no emotion and chemicles in my head and body im constantly hungry he wouldnt even investogate what it may be!

But i know its not in my head i used to feel adrenaline evry single day for hours the stress was so intence i would have a heart rate of 115 bpm on avrage i wiuld feel like running a marathon...i havnt felt stressed and adrenaline since i took the pill or emotion... something definitly changed i allos feel fatuged. I receaved an electric shock 3-4 weeks back it was pretty bad could that be it? What explains the chemicly feeling? Im allso very fatuged and ilogicle probably from stress i just might not feel it because of no adrenaline..

• Moderator Emeritus

When you say you received an electric shock 3 weeks ago, what do you mean?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

My arms allso feel real weak.. could i be bi polar? Mabye the pill brought it out?

As for the shock 3 weeks ago i was shocked by an old 1930's lamp for around 5 secconds. I felt sick and had a panic attack afterward

My heart feels nothing yet my brain feels pumped full of chemicles and im not sure my eyes feel light and my head hurts and feels light. Its a very hard feeling to explain. Im having a very hard time thinking and constrcuting sentences.

I feel like every emotion was liquadated and then pumped into my head... my body still feels like an empty shell...

Constant hunger feeling in throat and stomach and nasua

Frankly im not aure weather im getting better or worse... what could this be if its not ssri withdrawl? What if the ssri trigured something.

My eyes allso feel strange... light and dry and my thoat feels strange to

My entire body allso feels itchy and my heart rate is low so i dont think its stress...

When i cover my ears i feel a strange thunder vibration noise it almost sounds like a helicopter.

Once again i cant tell if im getting ebtter or worse my fear is that this isnt withdraw that its a brain infection trigured by the ssri or eve a tumor. My veins allos are pulseating and vibrating in random locations.

Now its begijing to fade... and i feel chemicly again

The corner of my right eye is getting very itchy and my left eye is getting dry im starting to feel nothing again

I just hope its my brain recovering from all this, not some degenrative brain disorder or underlyeing mental condition/problem

I cant think at all everything is so hard to understand and think about i cant even talk

My head is clamy so is my thaot

My moms talking to me but i cant think or understand her very well i should be paying atention to ehat shes saying and respond tk her but i cant

My jaw is vibrating

I feel 0 sex drive for what its worth

My heart rate is very slow but when i try to talk i talk a mile per minute my head is vibrating my thoat feels light

66 bpm heart is beating light