Godiswithme: I'm very scared

Godiswithme

I'm sorry you're in such distress right now.  A couple of things:

• Please remember that folks on this site are dealing with their own challenges and issues with these medications. We can't answer your questions immediately. It usually takes hours or sometimes up to a day for us to respond.

• The symptoms you are experiencing are the result of the many changes made in your medications. At this point all there is to do is to cope with them until they settle down. It won't be easy and the answer to "How long?" is unknown.

• Please select a technique that you feel/think will help you calm yourself or provide distraction. Given your username, I imagine you might find prayer helpful. Some other ideas:Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptomsThe Dr. Claire Weekes Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Of course I know that. So sorry. I feel like have been thrown into the gates of hell.

So, you are so very right about all of the above.

#2. I think I am very dependent on that Xanax dose. When I took my full dose, I was able to sleep semi normally for the first time in weeks and weeks. My stomach doesn't feel as awful as its been feeling. But, my chest feels like it is very, very tight.

I am very unsure of what to do now. I'm confused as to what is causing what and how I should proceed.

in Aug 2014, prescribed 20 mg of escitalopram.  Oct 2014, upped to 30 mg.

In January 2016, "doctor" added 2mg of Abilify

I had been taking .5 Xanax in AM and PM for a few years

Xanax November 23rd, 2016 .25   5 times per day

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

I cold turkeyed off escitalopram and Abilify on September 4, 2016

i crosses over to 1 mg of Klonopin in Dec 2016. 

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Godiswithme

• Shep

• yyeehhaaww

• Mort81

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

When did you take the full dose of Xanax?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

When did you take the full dose of Xanax?

I reinstated .5 last night around midnight? I then decided to split my .5 AM dose into 2? To try to avoid that interdose withdrawal issue?

So I took .25 at 9:00 and I have to see when I should take the next .25?

I am supposed to start a new job on Monday. If this makes me functional? For the time being, I guess it's worth it. I was attempting to be drug free.

The problem is I do still feel I am having symptoms from the escitalopram and Abilify. My heart is pounding uncontrollably.

I guess? I need to see how the next few days go? Any advice is appreciated.

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

I did do it very quickly. Maybe that is it. I can't remember exactly what I did. But I did do it very quickly a couple of weeks ago.

I think that might be it. So, what should I do?

If I were you, since it was just a couple of weeks ago, I would go back to your original dose of .5 mg Xanax twice a day.

Please keep careful notes. This is important. Write down the dose you take, the time you take it, and your symptoms. 

Please let us know how you do.

Thank you for the advice. I took your advice. I slept. Not sure yet about today. I split my AM dose of .5 into 2. Trying to avoid intradose withdrawal? My chest feels like it's in a vise. But in other ways, I feel better than I have. I slept. I ate something.

I have not been functional.

Godiswithme,

I went cold turkey in July, I went back on my medication to stabilize, and while I'm still not off completely off I am very slowly heading in that direction.  I am hoping that you hearing something positive from someone might give you strength to go on.  Please do not take my telling you what I did as a suggestion of what you should do, that's a very personal choice, I just wanted to let you know my story and let you know it does get better. I just think back to how frightened I was and how I thought I had somehow broken myself permanently, and I recall clinging to little bits of hope.  I want to send you hope like others did for me.   Hang in there. I am so sorry you are going through this. 

Rachel

Thank you so much

I posted my signature but I didn't do it right

Xanax 11 AM and 11PM  Its so small a dose iam just terrified to stop right now

GIWM,

In addition to what ChessieCat just asked, please answer this question:

In your signature, you state - "recently weaned down to .125 Xanax 11:00AM and .125 Xanax 11:00PM"

What date did you make this reduction in your Xanax?

You went from .5 mg Xanax twice a day to .125 mg twice a day, which is a 75% reduction. 

It's possible you are crashing from this reduction and may need to updose back to your original dose, but we really need you to focus and answer Chessie's question and mine.

I just want you to know that noticing my TOO FAST reduction of the Xanax may have just saved my life. Thank you more than I can even express. I know I'm not out of the woods, but I think I definitely crashed from the much too rapid reduction. You are an angel.

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, GIWM.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Are you taking .5 mg Xanax twice a day now? 

Is this your only medication? 

Hi, GIWM.

Hello,

I had a good day yesterday, but then had some outside stress. Today wasn't good

Yesterday, I took .25 at 9AM  .25 at 2:00PM and .5 11:00PM

today I took           .25 at 8:30 AM  .25  11:30 AM  .25 at 5:15 PM  and I plan to take .5 at 11PM

I DID NOT want to take more and really don't want to do that, but I was hysterical.

I might have to go back on something.  I'm so confused.  Since it is a risk for me to reinstate what I took since it has been so long sine I cold turkeyed, is there an alternative medication I could take?  I really am not functional.  I never have been like this in my entire life.  I took Xanax for 4-5 years, but didn't abuse it.  I didn't even know how bad that was.  My family doctor kept prescribing it.  I feel like such an idiot.

I then took the other two medications and I really didn't need them.  I didn't know this could happen.

I am so afraid to take a mini dose of Escitalopram or Abilify or anything, but my life is just PURE TERROR.  Is there a chance some other drug would relieve these symptoms without the risk of an adverse effect?  I'll be waiting patiently for any advice anyone could provide.

• Moderator Emeritus

SA is a site for going off drugs and consequently we do not make any recommendations about what new drug/s to try.

Are you keeping daily notes of your doses and your symptoms?  Keep Notes on Paper

What are your current symptoms?

Do they follow any kind of pattern in relation to taking your drug?

Having the answers to these questions can help the mods to make suggestions.  I suggest that you do not take any other drug/s until the more knowledgeable mods have had a chance to assess your situation.

I understand it is difficult, but it is important to try and do things to distract and to calm yourself.  Please try out some non drug techniques.

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly) - JanCarol particularly likes the "legs up the wall" position

I hope you can find something that will help you to feel more settled.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello,

I saw CJAJ16's posts where they were offering to give them a different medication to wean from.  I only mean to wean from.  Not to stay on.

Can you look at that post near the very end and see what I am talking about?

you are so kind to include those other options, but unfortunately, I am very much beyond these things.  I am so desperate, I don't know how to describe it.  I don't want to say it.  Thank you for your time.

I went to that person.  Oh God.  I guess that's not the answer.  If someone would answer when they are able, I would sincerely appreciate it.  Thank you to everyone.  Does ecitlopram come in a liquid 1:1 whatever it is?  Does Abilify?

• Moderator Emeritus

Adding a new drug into the mix will only complicate things.  You would probably have start up symptoms (and there is also the risk of a bad reaction), followed by possible drug side effects, on top of withdrawal symptoms you are currently experiencing.  As well as being very bad for your destabilised CNS, it will be impossible to work out what drug or lack of drug is causing what issue.

"I am very much beyond these things"

Have you tried any of them?  I understand you are feeling dreadful, but if you haven't tried any of them then you don't know if any of them will work.  Do you have any epsom salts (Magnesium)?  You could have a bath with some in, or a foot soak.  It's times like these that you need to be self soothing instead of seeking a solution in a drug.

for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have been taking Magnesium.  and drinking Natural Calm, a magnesium drink.

Do you know if Does ecitlopram come in a liquid 1:1 whatever it is?  Does Abilify? Whwnever you have the time to answer.  I'm not trying to rush anyone.  Thank you so much.

I totally get what you are saying about the new drug now.  Just scared of an adverse reaction to the old ones.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, GIWM.

Hello,

I had a good day yesterday, but then had some outside stress. Today wasn't good

Yesterday, I took .25 at 9AM  .25 at 2:00PM and .5 11:00PM

today I took           .25 at 8:30 AM  .25  11:30 AM  .25 at 5:15 PM  and I plan to take .5 at 11PM

I DID NOT want to take more and really don't want to do that, but I was hysterical.

I might have to go back on something.  I'm so confused.  Since it is a risk for me to reinstate what I took since it has been so long sine I cold turkeyed, is there an alternative medication I could take?  I really am not functional.  I never have been like this in my entire life.  I took Xanax for 4-5 years, but didn't abuse it.  I didn't even know how bad that was.  My family doctor kept prescribing it.  I feel like such an idiot.

I then took the other two medications and I really didn't need them.  I didn't know this could happen.

I am so afraid to take a mini dose of Escitalopram or Abilify or anything, but my life is just PURE TERROR.  Is there a chance some other drug would relieve these symptoms without the risk of an adverse effect?  I'll be waiting patiently for any advice anyone could provide.

Hi, GIWM.

Your updose has only been for 2 days, and you posted that you plan on taking .5 mg tonight, which is .25 mg extra due to "outside stress". 

My vibe is you're dealing with catastrophic thinking - you're already assuming you'll need an extra .25 mg tonight. 

Please see the wonderful links that ChessieCat left for you to help you learn to self soothe without drugs. 

Do you know if Does ecitlopram come in a liquid 1:1 whatever it is?  Does Abilify? Whwnever you have the time to answer.  I'm not trying to rush anyone.  Thank you so much.

Please see these links for information on escitalopram and Abilify, as well as information on reinstating. The links have information on liquid formulations: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

It takes at least 4 days for your nervous system to register your updose. So it's too soon to say it hasn't worked. And no drug is going to handle "outside stress".  If your goal is to come off the drug, you'll have to learn how to self soothe in times of distress. This is not an optional part of the journey. 

Please do read over the escitalopram and Abilify links to educate yourself; however, I wouldn't reinstate just yet. Please give your system at least 4 - 7 days to see how the benzo updose affects you.

It's best to keep your dose the same every day, so think carefully about adding in that extra .25 mg Xanax tonight. Try the links that ChessieCat left for you. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

Thank you. My goal would be to come off Xanax, not sure how to do that in the midst of this nightmare.

I will try not to take .5 tonight and make it .25.

Thank you again.

You wouldn't reinstate just yet? I value your opinion.

Can you elaborate as to why?

Should I make sure to take them at the same time every day?

• Moderator Emeritus

Like I just wrote in my previous post, it takes 4 - 7 days for your nervous system to register an updose. So let's see how you do over the next few days with your benzo updose. Adding on more drugs, even if they are reinstatements, carries risks. So let's see how the benzo reinstatement goes.

Yes, the same time every day. This helps keep the drug even in your bloodstream and causes less stress on your nervous system.

And please, do have a look at the non-drug coping skill links that have been posted for you.

While a slow and careful taper is important, the non-drug coping skills are not optional. We have to learn how to self soothe and handle those "outside stress" issues that you mentioned. 

In the end, we come out ready to take on the world.  ;)

Shep,

I briefly went up to 1.5 mg for about .5 3 times per day for 3 or 4? weeks when the withdrawal started. Then, too rapidly weaned down. Before that, I had been on .5 AM and .5 PM for a long time.

I forgot this. Does this effect what I should go back up to?

I wasn't thinking about that. I'm very sorry.

Like I just wrote in my previous post, it takes 4 - 7 days for your nervous system to register an updose. So let's see how you do over the next few days with your benzo updose. Adding on more drugs, even if they are reinstatements, carries risks. So let's see how the benzo reinstatement goes.

Yes, the same time every day. This helps keep the drug even in your bloodstream and causes less stress on your nervous system.

And please, do have a look at the non-drug coping skill links that have been posted for you.

While a slow and careful taper is important, the non-drug coping skills are not optional. We have to learn how to self soothe and handle those "outside stress" issues that you mentioned. 

In the end, we come out ready to take on the world.  ;)

Hi,

When the withdrawal started, I went up to .5 three times per day for about 3 or 4 weeks.  Then, weaned down so rapidly.  Before that, I had been on .5 twice per day for a while.  I completely forgot about that.  I'm very sorry I didn't give you the correct info.  Do you think this means I should go up to 1.5? or 1.25?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

When the withdrawal started, I went up to .5 three times per day for about 3 or 4 weeks.  Then, weaned down so rapidly.  Before that, I had been on .5 twice per day for a while.  I completely forgot about that.  I'm very sorry I didn't give you the correct info.  Do you think this means I should go up to 1.5? or 1.25?

It's okay, GIWM. It's hard to keep all of this straight when you're sick.

I posted a link to the members-only benzo thread earlier. Have you had a chance to check it out?

If not, that's okay. Here's the link again:

Members only benzo forum

The first day of your updose to a total of 1 mg yielded a good result. You reported having a good day. And then today, you had an outside stressor. 

If you can stabilize at 1 mg, that would be good, as you'll have less to come off of.

Please go ahead and start a new thread for yourself on the members only benzo forum. 

I'm going to ask another moderator who works on that forum a lot to touch base with you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Goldiswithme,

welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

I'm sorry that you had to experience an acute state of withdrawal.  I usually just hang out at the benzo-forum, but Shep asked me to have a look at your story.

Now that you have had a partial reinstatement and feeling better ( good catch, Shep), you may be able to make sense of the events that led to your acute state of withdrawal. 

You went off three drugs very quickly, the Lexapro, the Abilify, and the Xanax/Ativan.  When did your symptoms become most severe?  After the Lexapro/Ability cold turkey? or after the reduction in Xanax?

After you reinstated the Xanax, you got much better and was able to sleep.  That should give you breathing space to think.   Do you think you can live in withdrawal from Lexapro/Abilify until you heal and then tackle to Xanax?  or do you think you need to reinstate the Lexapro and/or Abilify?

Once your CNS is shocked, it takes a while before it calms down, so even with the reinstatement, it can take a couple of weeks for your nervous system to calm.  So until you have waited a few days to a couple of weeks, you might want to not make changes to your drug regiment.

Another point about your updose/reinstatement of Xanax is that although you are taking 0.25 mg Xanax four times a day, it is not exactly the same as taking 2 x 0.5 mg.  Although you don't get the decrease in Xanax in your blood between doses by taking Xanax four times a day you also don't get the peak concentration and your body might react to the decrease in peak concentration.  If you are able to hold for a while at the new dose ( 4 times 0.25 mg Xanax for a few weeks or months) your CNS will calm and become used to the new drug regiment.  You are likely to still feel withdrawal symptoms but they may be bearable.

So making only one drug change at at time and waiting to see what the results of that change is a good suggestion. 

When you say that your tongue is touching the top of your mouth, when did that symptom begin?  Could that be from the Abilify?

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

• Moderator Emeritus

GIWM - you've made many changes in dosage recently. Your CNS (central nervous system) needs stability in drugs and dosages to have a chance at recovery. When your CNS stabilizes, symptoms lighten and some disappear.

Chessie & Shep have posted suggestions and links so that you learn to cope with your symptoms without drug changes or additions. Significant dose changes and adding new drugs are risky and unpredictable at the best of times. You are not going through the best of times right now. For you the situation is more predictable -- changes and additions to your medications are very likely to cause worsening symptoms and/or new symptoms.

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Goldiswithme,

welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

I'm sorry that you had to experience an acute state of withdrawal.  I usually just hang out at the benzo-forum, but Shep asked me to have a look at your story.

Now that you have had a partial reinstatement and feeling better ( good catch, Shep), you may be able to make sense of the events that led to your acute state of withdrawal. 

You went off three drugs very quickly, the Lexapro, the Abilify, and the Xanax/Ativan.  When did your symptoms become most severe?  After the Lexapro/Ability cold turkey? or after the reduction in Xanax?

After you reinstated the Xanax, you got much better and was able to sleep.  That should give you breathing space to think.   Do you think you can live in withdrawal from Lexapro/Abilify until you heal and then tackle to Xanax?  or do you think you need to reinstate the Lexapro and/or Abilify?

Once your CNS is shocked, it takes a while before it calms down, so even with the reinstatement, it can take a couple of weeks for your nervous system to calm.  So until you have waited a few days to a couple of weeks, you might want to not make changes to your drug regiment.

Another point about your updose/reinstatement of Xanax is that although you are taking 0.25 mg Xanax four times a day, it is not exactly the same as taking 2 x 0.5 mg.  Although you don't get the decrease in Xanax in your blood between doses by taking Xanax four times a day you also don't get the peak concentration and your body might react to the decrease in peak concentration.  If you are able to hold for a while at the new dose ( 4 times 0.25 mg Xanax for a few weeks or months) your CNS will calm and become used to the new drug regiment.  You are likely to still feel withdrawal symptoms but they may be bearable.

So making only one drug change at at time and waiting to see what the results of that change is a good suggestion. 

When you say that your tongue is touching the top of your mouth, when did that symptom begin?  Could that be from the Abilify?

To tell you the truth, I'm not 100% sure when my symptoms became the most severe.  But, if I had to guess, I think it was tapering down too rapidly on the Xanax.  I was in pure hell like nothing I could have ever imagined.  I took Ativan for 2 weeks and 2 days to try to cope with the lack of sleep and cortisol surges from the AD withdrawal and just stopped that with no tapering.    I don't know if that did something to me either.  I do know I'm a mess.

Thank you for pointing that out about the decreased dosages of the Xanax.  I had one good day since updosing.  I definitely feel the difference with the smaller dosages.  It's very uncomfortable.  Will this even out eventually?  Or maybe not?  Thank you for your advice about leaving everything else alone for a bit.  I guess no one knows if I can do any healing form the Escitalopram and the Abilify while still taking Xanax?

The interesting thing is I never had any interdose withdrawal from the Xanax before going off the Escitalopram and Abilify even though I was taking it twice per day. I know I have really done a number on my CNS.  So sad I didn't question these drugs.  I won't even eat a non organic apple. 

I really question what the hell I was thinking or not thinking.  I didn't know. As most people on here just trusted doctors.

I have not had the tongue thing since LAst Thursday when I called 911.  I thought it could have been from Abilify too, but I don't know.

GIWM - you've made many changes in dosage recently. Your CNS (central nervous system) needs stability in drugs and dosages to have a chance at recovery. When your CNS stabilizes, symptoms lighten and some disappear.

Chessie & Shep have posted suggestions and links so that you learn to cope with your symptoms without drug changes or additions. Significant dose changes and adding new drugs are risky and unpredictable at the best of times. You are not going through the best of times right now. For you the situation is more predictable -- changes and additions to your medications are very likely to cause worsening symptoms and/or new symptoms.

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing?

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess no one knows if I can do any healing form the Escitalopram and the Abilify while still taking Xanax?

Your experience is similar to mine, GIWM. I also did rapid tapers and cold turkeys. I look at my recovery as less about each specific drug and more about an overall iatrogenic illness. Basically, a chemical assault on my nervous system.

But I'm healing and I have no doubt that you will, too.

For now, it's too soon to look at any form of reinstatement besides the Xanax. It's important to follow that lead and record your symptoms along the way. 

If the Xanax gives you enough traction, you may be able to add in enough non-drug coping skills to handle your symptoms without reinstating anything else. 

I have not had the tongue thing since LAst Thursday when I called 911.  I thought it could have been from Abilify too, but I don't know.

It could have been from the Abilify, as antipsychotics are known for causing repetitive movement problems, including involving the mouth and tongue. 

I would be hesitant to reinstate an antipsychotic because of this reason. So it's good you noted this.

Any psychiatric drug can cause dysphagia, which is difficulty swallowing and that can include tongue problems. 

I really think you're on the right track now, but like Wellness wrote, it may very well take a few weeks for your nervous system to calm down.

In the meantime, please find some helpful distractions that you like, such as mindfulness, yoga, Tai Chi, or just watching favorite movies or TV shows.

I like to work online jigsaw puzzles such as the ones found on this website:

I put on relaxing music, especially classical music with nature sounds like this playlist:

From your username, it sounds like you come from a place of faith. Perhaps play some music from your faith in the background, work some puzzles, or whatever helps take your mind off your symptoms, and let your troubled CNS find a bit of peace in the withdrawal chaos. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Godiswithme, sorry I got your username wrong the first time, my eyesight is a bit off.

Regarding healing from Escitalopram and Ability while still on Xanax, it happens.  There is cross-over between the drugs, and as Shep said, it's iatrogenesis but different parts of the brain are targeted, so any part which is acted on by Escitalopram or/and Abilify and not by Xanax are likely to start upregulating/downregulating their respective receptor sites.  Those receptor sites will revert back to the normal drug free state even while taking Xanax.

When you say that you never had interdose withdrawal from the Xanax before going off the Escitalopram and Abilify, are you saying that after you went off these two drugs you started experiencing interdose withdrawal?  or that you never had the interdose withdrawal even before the Escitalopram and Abilify?  If you never had interdose withdrawal ever from the Xanax, going to 4 times a day is not all lost, because when the time comes to start your taper, dosing 4 times a day will make it easier to decrease the dosage by preventing interdose withdrawal.

Until something like this happens to us, we are unaware of all of the politics of drug marketing, even to doctors, so that even many doctors are unaware of the extent of the negative impact that these drugs can have.  

Good news on the tongue symptoms going away, whatever the cause.  Still it may be a warning sign to stay away from Abilify.

Now that your CNS is sensitized, after experiencing that acute withdrawal, you are likely to have symptoms until you are off drugs and off for 6 to 18 months after your last dose.  Holding your dose steady for a while often bring about a decrease in intensity of your withdrawal symptoms so that the withdrawal process becomes more bearable.

Until you are off drugs and off for a couple of years, you may want to reject any new "diagnosis" (and even question existing ones).

I'm glad you found this site.  

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

• Administrator

Thank you, Wellness.

GIWM, when you go off 3 drugs too fast, reinstatement of all of them is not always a good idea. Your nervous system may have become sensitized. It's best to see how you respond to Xanax for a while before adding other drugs, which can complicate things considerably.

It is possible that all your symptoms now are from going off Xanax too fast and taking other drugs will not help.

Please describe your symptoms in more detail. Keeping daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages is very important.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

hi GIWM just dropping by to see how you are doing.

I have gone thru something similar as what you are going thru and I did get better with a low reinstatement

you will get better too. it's so hard going thru it, though. I know.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

On 11/15/2016 at 11:02 AM, Happy2Heal said:

hi GIWM just dropping by to see how you are doing.

I have gone thru something similar as what you are going thru and I did get better with a low reinstatement

you will get better too. it's so hard going thru it, though. I know.

Please tell me how you are doing and what your opinion is of what I could do?  Can you stay on that low microdose indefinitely?  Does it take away the unbearable anxiety?  I am crying uncle.

Edited by ChessieCat
changed quote after member name change

Thank you, Wellness.

GIWM, when you go off 3 drugs too fast, reinstatement of all of them is not always a good idea. Your nervous system may have become sensitized. It's best to see how you respond to Xanax for a while before adding other drugs, which can complicate things considerably.

It is possible that all your symptoms now are from going off Xanax too fast and taking other drugs will not help.

Please describe your symptoms in more detail. Keeping daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages is very important.

Hello,

I have only had one good day, day 1 of updosing the Xanax.  This is day 5.  I have been taking .25 Xanax four times per day. Although two of those days I took an extra .25 which I know I shouldn't.  I may just bring my daily dosage up to 1.25 because this certainly is not working.

No sleep for two days now.  I started a new job yesterday and had to quit halfway through the day.  The anxiety is unbearable.

Day 1         9:00AM  .25                         2:00PM .25                                                 11:00PM    .5

Day 2         8:30 AM .25       11:30AM .25          5:15PM .25                                     11:00PM    .5

Day  3      08:43AM   .25            2:00PM .25                  7:00PM .25             11.00PM     .25       01:15AM  .25                                                                

Day 4         07.22 AM .25          12:10PM    .25          04:55PM    .25                                             12:30AM .25

Day 5today  08:00AM  .25          12:44        .25

Symptoms starting day 2, sleep not good or non existent.  burning tight chest,  extreme pressure on chest, lighthteadedness, loss of appetite, stomach anxiety, pounding racing heart 

Thank you, Wellness.

Day 1         9:00AM  .25                         2:00PM .25                                                 11:00PM    .5

Day 2         8:30 AM .25       11:30AM .25          5:15PM .25                                     11:00PM    .5

Day  3      08:43AM   .25            2:00PM .25                  7:00PM .25             11.00PM     .25       01:15AM  .25                                                                

Day 4         07.22 AM .25          12:10PM    .25          04:55PM    .25                                             12:30AM .25

Day 5today  08:00AM  .25          12:44        .25

Symptoms starting day 2, sleep not good or non existent.  burning tight chest,  extreme pressure on chest, lighthteadedness, loss of appetite, stomach anxiety, pounding racing heart, legs shaking up and down

I'm not sure how long to wait on this?  I want to stay away from all drugs, but it doesn't seem like I am going to be ok. 

Sorry! I replied twice to one post

• Mentor

Please tell me how you are doing and what your opinion is of what I could do?  Can you stay on that low microdose indefinitely?  Does it take away the unbearable anxiety?  I am crying uncle.

I am so sorry you are struggling like this, I was at this same place just a few weeks ago.

I can't tell you what to do, I wish I could.

I was basically only on the lexapro, I took klonopin only rarely however used it on a regular basis many years ago.

I tried to take a tiny bit to get me thru the lexapro withdrawal and it made things worse for me.

I don't know what I will eventually end up doing but for now, the tiny dose of lexapro that I am taking is making things better, but slowly.

it's agony how slowly it goes BUT take heart, it DOES get better.

I had a rapid decrease in body tension, the intrusive thoughts/panic when waking up, and waking up very early, that took longer to fade.

I am now waking up 2hrs earlier but the anxiety is at a more tolerable level.

is there any kind of music that you like, that helps you feel relaxed or happy?

you might want to play that when you are feeling badly

when are your symptoms the worst?

I am listening to guided meditation CDs thru out the day, I force myself to listen to what is being said and try to follow along. It gives you a distraction from the awful feelings. it is very hard but it does help

try to avoid watching the news, or being around any unpleasant or contrary people. If you aren't already, try to eat healthy foods, no caffeine, limit how much sugar you eat.

I am drinking herbal tea now, I don't care for it as much as reg tea or coffee but the difference in my anxiety level is worth is- and it does help. You may even see a quick decline in your anxiety if you stop drinking or eating anything with caffeine (choc has caffeine I Think)

You would be surprised what a big difference these things make

if you feel you just need to chat, feel free to PM me

I am also willing to chat on the phone, with the provision that the conversation does not focus only on bad stuff, as I find that just triggers more bad stuff. ;-)

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

Godiswithme,

it's pretty awful, I agree.  Sorry about the job loss.

Lots of good suggestions from Catnap.

The withdrawal keep up from sleeping, but also the revved up nervous system.  With or without drugs, just a high anxiety state can keep us from sleeping, and then it's easy to develop sleep anxiety.  This is so hard.

I can only suggest to do all the right things to get some sleep, no caffeine at all, quiet, cool, and dark room.  No bright lights, write down your worries and to do list before going to bed, a warm bath, a light snack, soothing music, light reading if you can, and then let go.  What helped me the most to let go after all of those things were done was to focus on my breathing when I'm trying to fall asleep, not changing it, but just giving my brain something really boring to think about.  That helped me fall asleep.

I know it's easier said than done, but all of the sleep hygiene techniques can help a little.

It's tempting to try to micro-manage your symptoms from day to day, but the changes are not likely to happen for days.

Do you think you are getting interdose withdrawal?  Does your anxiety ramp up before the next dose?

Taking large doses then small ones can play tricks with your receptors. Do you find that there is a difference when you take 0.25 mg and when you take 0.5 mg?

Do you find that there is a difference between the days when you take 1.0 mg Xanax total and 1.25 mg? If you see a difference and want to increase the dose, it's best to take Xanax 5 times a day rather than taking large and small doses, as evenly spaced as is convenient.  But as many have said already, changing the dosing regiment quickly introduces too many changes.  Any new symptoms cannot be properly attributed to any drugs or any change in dosing.

• Moderator Emeritus

I took Xanax for 4-5 years, but didn't abuse it.  I didn't even know how bad that was.  My family doctor kept prescribing it.  I feel like such an idiot.

Dear Godiswithme (and He is), 

You are NOT an idiot. You trusted the person who is in charge of your care, the person in an ultimate position of power and trust. This angers me so much -- that you said you were just mildly depressed and now suffering so badly *because* of the drugs. That is, as you may know, what is called "iatrogenic" harm -- harm caused by doctors and pharmaceuticals. 

I don't have anything to offer in the way of reinstatement advice, but I am thinking about you and wish you well. Many, many people have completely healed from the indescribable trauma you are now in. I believe that you will heal too. Please take care. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Please tell me how you are doing and what your opinion is of what I could do? Can you stay on that low microdose indefinitely? Does it take away the unbearable anxiety? I am crying uncle.

I am so sorry you are struggling like this, I was at this same place just a few weeks ago.

I can't tell you what to do, I wish I could.

I was basically only on the lexapro, I took klonopin only rarely however used it on a regular basis many years ago.

I tried to take a tiny bit to get me thru the lexapro withdrawal and it made things worse for me.

I don't know what I will eventually end up doing but for now, the tiny dose of lexapro that I am taking is making things better, but slowly.

it's agony how slowly it goes BUT take heart, it DOES get better.

I had a rapid decrease in body tension, the intrusive thoughts/panic when waking up, and waking up very early, that took longer to fade.

I am now waking up 2hrs earlier but the anxiety is at a more tolerable level.

is there any kind of music that you like, that helps you feel relaxed or happy?

you might want to play that when you are feeling badly

when are your symptoms the worst?

I am listening to guided meditation CDs thru out the day, I force myself to listen to what is being said and try to follow along. It gives you a distraction from the awful feelings. it is very hard but it does help

try to avoid watching the news, or being around any unpleasant or contrary people. If you aren't already, try to eat healthy foods, no caffeine, limit how much sugar you eat.

I am drinking herbal tea now, I don't care for it as much as reg tea or coffee but the difference in my anxiety level is worth is- and it does help. You may even see a quick decline in your anxiety if you stop drinking or eating anything with caffeine (choc has caffeine I Think)

You would be surprised what a big difference these things make

if you feel you just need to chat, feel free to PM me

I am also willing to chat on the phone, with the provision that the conversation does not focus only on bad stuff, as I find that just triggers more bad stuff. ;-)

Thank you for your guidance. I have had no caffeine, sugar or alcohol since this started. I've been drinking chamomile tea.

What are the general thoughts on using propanolol during withdrawal? It is a beta blocker? I did not put this in my drug history. I have used it here and there since withdrawal started when my heart was pounding out of control. Is this something I should never use again?