Godiswithme: I'm very scared

Godiswithme

• Moderator Emeritus

Propanolol is a beta-blocker. Please update your signature to show ALL medications -- prescription, over-the-counter, or "recreational" -- that you take for ANY reason.

Tips for tapering off Alpha blockers or Beta blockers

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Godiswithme

• Shep

• yyeehhaaww

• Mort81

Top Posters In This Topic

Propanolol is a beta-blocker. Please update your signature to show ALL medications -- prescription, over-the-counter, or "recreational" -- that you take for ANY reason.

Tips for tapering off Alpha blockers or Beta blockers

I have updated my signature.  I take no recreational drugs.  I will read the tips.  I don't know if I have taken it enough to need to taper.

Is the general recommendation not to take it at all, even with the extreme pounding of the heart?

in Aug 2014, prescribed 20 mg of escitalopram.  Oct 2014, upped to 30 mg.

In January 2016, "doctor" added 2mg of Abilify

I had been taking .5 Xanax in AM and PM for a few years

Xanax November 23rd, 2016 .25   5 times per day

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

I cold turkeyed off escitalopram and Abilify on September 4, 2016

i crosses over to 1 mg of Klonopin in Dec 2016. 

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

Today is day 5 of my updosing of Xanax to 4 times per day at .25 mg.  Although I did take an extra .25 on two of those days, I am trying to be super strict about staying at 1mg per day.  I did not go on Xanax to cope with withdrawal, but had been taking it prior to the Anti depressant and Abilify. that I cold turkeyed from in September 2016.

I also tried to get off the Xanax too quickly while going through withdrawal, and it was suggested that I could back on Xanax and stabilize since things were so awful. 

I was doing ok last night - not a complete a total mess like I have been - and slept 5 hours.  Sad part is when I took my morning .25mg this AM, I started to feel bad.  I am anxious and near tears.  But the intense pressure and burning in my chest isn't as bad.  I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

​I took Xanax for 5 years  - as much as .5mg three times per day and then, down to .5mg twice per day.  Didn't even feel anything.  I think I was taking them out of habit.  The doctor kept prescribing them.  I guess the reason I can tell when I take it now is due to my sensitized central nervous system from the cold turkey?  This Xanax is really complicating things.  I am so scared.   

I don't know how much this is covering up symptoms of the cold turkey of the AD and Abilify or how long it will even help.  If I leave here and start on a benzo thread, it will be to go towards a taper and I know I am not stable enough for that yet. 

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

Took 2nd dose of .25. Feel very anxious and sad. I just don't get this.

Does anyone recover in months, not years? From a cold turkey? Does it matter how long on the drugs?

Godiswithme, sorry I got your username wrong the first time, my eyesight is a bit off.

Regarding healing from Escitalopram and Ability while still on Xanax, it happens. There is cross-over between the drugs, and as Shep said, it's iatrogenesis but different parts of the brain are targeted, so any part which is acted on by Escitalopram or/and Abilify and not by Xanax are likely to start upregulating/downregulating their respective receptor sites. Those receptor sites will revert back to the normal drug free state even while taking Xanax.

When you say that you never had interdose withdrawal from the Xanax before going off the Escitalopram and Abilify, are you saying that after you went off these two drugs you started experiencing interdose withdrawal? or that you never had the interdose withdrawal even before the Escitalopram and Abilify? If you never had interdose withdrawal ever from the Xanax, going to 4 times a day is not all lost, because when the time comes to start your taper, dosing 4 times a day will make it easier to decrease the dosage by preventing interdose withdrawal.

Until something like this happens to us, we are unaware of all of the politics of drug marketing, even to doctors, so that even many doctors are unaware of the extent of the negative impact that these drugs can have.

Good news on the tongue symptoms going away, whatever the cause. Still it may be a warning sign to stay away from Abilify.

Now that your CNS is sensitized, after experiencing that acute withdrawal, you are likely to have symptoms until you are off drugs and off for 6 to 18 months after your last dose. Holding your dose steady for a while often bring about a decrease in intensity of your withdrawal symptoms so that the withdrawal process becomes more bearable.

Until you are off drugs and off for a couple of years, you may want to reject any new "diagnosis" (and even question existing ones).

I'm glad you found this site.

Do you mean I will also need to be off Xanax? You think I will likely have symptoms until 6 - 18 mos from my last dose of what? Please explain what that means? Do you think I could heal from Abilify and Escitalopram while on Xanax?

Thank you, Wellness.

GIWM, when you go off 3 drugs too fast, reinstatement of all of them is not always a good idea. Your nervous system may have become sensitized. It's best to see how you respond to Xanax for a while before adding other drugs, which can complicate things considerably.

It is possible that all your symptoms now are from going off Xanax too fast and taking other drugs will not help.

Please describe your symptoms in more detail. Keeping daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages is very important.

I apologize for responding to this post the other day with my dosages? I think I was delerious from lack of sleep.

May I please ask you about the 3 month window to reinstate? Even a minuscule amount? Do you have an opinion on me coming up on 3 months on December 4th?

I have noticed people saying they will taper down until .01 mg of whatever drug and then stop, rather than risk years of problems. I noticed you said that was fine.

I am wondering if I should consider a minuscule amount of Escitalopram? Or not. Am I risking being disabled for years? I so appreciate your time.

May I pease get some reassurance? Do people ever heal in months, not years?

• Moderator Emeritus

Stories of people healing and having fully recovered are all across this site. Check out the Success Stories forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Day 6 of Xanax up dose to .25 4 times per day.

I have intolerable anxiety. It's like nothing I could ever imagine. Terror like I've only experienced since this started. I'm not sure what to do. My mind keeps thinking about a tiny bit of escitolapram. I have no pain. I can not eat. I am wondering if a tiny dose like 1/20th of a mg as Catnapt did would relieve any of this anxiety. I am trying some coping mechanisms listed. Is it still too early to consider the bit of escitolapram since my central nervous system is so messed up from me basically almost cold turkeying off 3 drugs? I know the advice was wait 4 to 7 days on the updose of Xanax. My tongue is again moving a bit involuntarily. Pushing upwards. Probably Abilify.

I did sleep about 5 hours. I don't understand why I am experiencing this sheer terror. I'm having trouble breathing, but I know I can breathe. It's just difficult from the pressure in my chest. Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

I'm sorry your going though this. I'm not a mod but perhaps reinstating a micro dose of escitalopram might ease your wd symptoms? Some members have done really well reinstating.

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

GIWM.  I think a small dose of Lexapro might help. I said that on page 1 when you first came here.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I'm sorry your going though this. I'm not a mod but perhaps reinstating a micro dose of escitalopram might ease your wd symptoms? Some members have done really well reinstating.

Thank you for responding. May I ask, are you completely drug free? How are you doing?

GIWM.  I think a small dose of Lexapro might help. I said that on page 1 when you first came here.

Hello AliG. But then, it was pointed out to me that I weaned down Xanax, which I had been taking prior to the AD and Abilify, way too quickly. So it was suggested that I up dose and stabilize on that for 4 to 7 days. Today is day 6. I'm sorry if I am being a pain in the neck.

Can a GP prescribe liquid escitolapram? I am no longer speaking to the psychiatrist who did this to me. She is a horrible person.

Do I need to seek out a new psychiatrist? Thank you in advance for any input. I hope I am not being just a major annoyance. I appreciate people on this site. It has helped me. My symptoms seem to be 100% emotional. Except erratic sleeping, can't eat today.

I notice so many people have many physical symptoms. I don't have those yet. Wondering if a reinstatement helps as much with the anxiety as physical symptoms?

Thank you for responding. May I ask, are you completely drug free? How are you doing?

Not so good, but my history is very different. I had an adverse reaction and things got complicated. Like Ali suggested it might help to reinstate, I'm sure you will feel better for it. Hang in there

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

Congratulations AliG on being drug free. That is very inspirational.

Not so good, but my history is very different. I had an adverse reaction and things got complicated. Like Ali suggested it might help to reinstate, I'm sure you will feel better for it. Hang in there

I just read your thread. I just know in my heart you will get some relief soon. I don't know how to follow someone, but I want to see your progress. I will be looking up your posts. You seem like such a good hearted and loving person. I identify with so much of what you write except my symptoms are different. I am feeling the way you are.

• Moderator Emeritus

Any doctor can prescribe escitalopram. It may make things easier/faster if you take your current/previous prescription bottle with you to a new doctor. Knowing that you are currently/were previously on a medication is some assurance to them that prescribing for you is the right thing.

If you have thrown out the containers, you may be able to get a document from your pharmacy that lists your medication history. Retail pharmacies of big chains can do this. I don't know how online or small, single-location pharmacies handle this.

scallywag's Introduction

Any doctor can prescribe escitalopram. It may make things easier/faster if you take your current/previous prescription bottle with you to a new doctor. Knowing that you are currently/were previously on a medication is some assurance to them that prescribing for you is the right thing.

If you have thrown out the containers, you may be able to get a document from your pharmacy that lists your medication history. Retail pharmacies of big chains can do this. I don't know how online or small, single-location pharmacies handle this.

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

It may be tricky to discuss tapering and low doses with a new doctor. Please read these topics:

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal
What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

I know no one can tell me what to do. But I wish I knew whether to try to carry on or whether to try to take some. I am suffering just as so many others are on this site. The thought of me possibly making things worse is just unbearable.

It may be tricky to discuss tapering and low doses with a new doctor. Please read these topics:

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal

What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms

I read these links and they were very helpful. Thank you. I wish I knew whether to take some or not.

I have had a couple Windows. I don't hit three mos until Dec 4th. So confused because I don't have any pain yet, it's All Anxiety All the Time. Severe. Hard to persevere. I know I need to have patience. Everything is so unknown.

• Administrator

Thank you, Wellness.

GIWM, when you go off 3 drugs too fast, reinstatement of all of them is not always a good idea. Your nervous system may have become sensitized. It's best to see how you respond to Xanax for a while before adding other drugs, which can complicate things considerably.

It is possible that all your symptoms now are from going off Xanax too fast and taking other drugs will not help.

Please describe your symptoms in more detail. Keeping daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages is very important.

Day 1         9:00AM  .25                         2:00PM .25                                                 11:00PM    .5

Day 2         8:30 AM .25       11:30AM .25          5:15PM .25                                     11:00PM    .5

Day  3      08:43AM   .25            2:00PM .25                  7:00PM .25             11.00PM     .25       01:15AM  .25                                                                

Day 4         07.22 AM .25          12:10PM    .25          04:55PM    .25                                             12:30AM .25

Day 5today  08:00AM  .25          12:44        .25

Symptoms starting day 2, sleep not good or non existent.  burning tight chest,  extreme pressure on chest, lighthteadedness, loss of appetite, stomach anxiety, pounding racing heart, legs shaking up and down

I'm not sure how long to wait on this?  I want to stay away from all drugs, but it doesn't seem like I am going to be ok. 

GIWM, I am seeing a lot of variation in your benzo schedule. It's very important to keep to a consistent schedule every day. Did you discuss this in the Benzo forum?

When you take the Ativan, how do you feel? Does the anxiety go down and then flare up again? We still need to see your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs.

We need this to determine if your symptoms may be from the benzo, If it's the benzo, it doesn't make any sense to add Lexapro.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

In the end, we come out ready to take on the world.  ;)

I love that, Shep! Going to cut and paste on my thread -- hope that is okay! :) 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Mentor

I have intolerable anxiety. It's like nothing I could ever imagine. Terror like I've only experienced since this started. I'm not sure what to do. My mind keeps thinking about a tiny bit of escitolapram. I have no pain. I can not eat. I am wondering if a tiny dose like 1/20th of a mg as Catnapt did would relieve any of this anxiety. I am trying some coping mechanisms listed. Is it still too early to consider the bit of escitolapram since my central nervous system is so messed up from me basically almost cold turkeying off 3 drugs? I know the advice was wait 4 to 7 days on the updose of Xanax. My tongue is again moving a bit involuntarily. Pushing upwards. Probably Abilify.

I did sleep about 5 hours. I don't understand why I am experiencing this sheer terror. I'm having trouble breathing, but I know I can breathe. It's just difficult from the pressure in my chest. Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

Godiswithme,

I can not tell you what do to, but IF I were you, I would def try a tiny reinstatement of the lexapro if you can.

You have very similar symptoms (except for the tongue thing, which I would agree is probably the Abilify)

when I took that first tiny dose of lexapro, that tight feeling in my body was gone in only 4 hrs.

The terror, that took longer, BUT it  IS gone now!! it's gone!

I was so scared of things getting worse, that I stayed on that tiny dose for quite some time.  Looking back now, I think since most of my symptoms got BETTER on that tiny dose, I probably would have been safe to keep inching up a tiny bit more each day. And I might have gotten better in a matter of days, instead of the couple of weeks it took. So keep that in mind too, IF you do decide to try reinstating a tiny dose, and it helps, maybe don't stay at that super low dose quite as long as I did. I understand completely wanting the terror to be over. I still have a hard time talking about it, it was so horrible. (((hugs)))

I don't know if you saw in my thread, that when I first had the intolerable anxiety, i  took a tiny bit of klonopin a few times.   It did not help and may have made things worse.

The thing that worked for me was re instating on the lexapro

and I was COMPLETELY OFF lexapro since early MAY. so it can work. I think I had success because i started at such a super low dose.

I had tried to reinstate in May and went to 2mgs after being on 2.5 and that did not work.

but doing this tiny dose reinstatement some 5 mos later, did work.

No one can tell you what will ultimately work for you. I can only tell you what has happened in my case.

I too have been on multiple drugs include atypical antipsychotics with benzos etc and the only drug that has caused me that horrible anxiety coming off it was the lexapro. the damn stuff is evil.

oh by the way: I CT'ed off of lexapro many years ago and went thru the same thing. I was off it for a very long time at least 6 mos) and was able to go back on and put an end to the WD.  esp the anxiety. Being back on it

I had other issues, sleeping more than I wanted to, but hell, compared to the terror, that was easy to handle!!

I see you are looking at success stories, GOOD FOR YOU!

I know it helps a lot when were are in our darkest hours to know that they WILL END

and they will end for you and YOU WILL GET BETTER!

I am praying for you. I am not even sure I believe in a God but I have been doing a LOT of praying these past couple of months, so I guess I'm hopeful lol

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thank you, Wellness.

Day 1         9:00AM  .25                         2:00PM .25                                                 11:00PM    .5

Day 2         8:30 AM .25       11:30AM .25          5:15PM .25                                     11:00PM    .5

Day  3      08:43AM   .25            2:00PM .25                  7:00PM .25             11.00PM     .25       01:15AM  .25                                                                

Day 4         07.22 AM .25          12:10PM    .25          04:55PM    .25                                             12:30AM .25

Day 5today  08:00AM  .25          12:44        .25

Symptoms starting day 2, sleep not good or non existent.  burning tight chest,  extreme pressure on chest, lighthteadedness, loss of appetite, stomach anxiety, pounding racing heart, legs shaking up and down

I'm not sure how long to wait on this?  I want to stay away from all drugs, but it doesn't seem like I am going to be ok. 

GIWM, I am seeing a lot of variation in your benzo schedule. It's very important to keep to a consistent schedule every day. Did you discuss this in the Benzo forum?

When you take the Ativan, how do you feel? Does the anxiety go down and then flare up again? We still need to see your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs.

We need this to determine if your symptoms may be from the benzo, If it's the benzo, it doesn't make any sense to add Lexapro.

Thank you so much for responding.  I am so appreciative.  (I do not take Ativan now. I did, for 2 weeks.)  I think you are asking about Xanax.

I tightened up on the schedule

08:00 AM        .25

12:45 - 01:00  .25

05:30 - 06:00  .25

11:30 - 12:00   .25

The anxiety isn't exactly going down and flaring again.  Sometimes, its constant.  Sometimes, I can feel when I need the second and third dose.

But I am not a functional human being.  I'm definitely not completely fine until I need the next dose.  My only symptom is utter fear, terror and anxiety like I have never known.  I am barely eating. Heart pounding out of control at times.  Scary as heck.  Very tight chest.

Before withdrawal, I would have never known if I missed a Xanax.  I took .5 AM and .5 PM before.  Never really felt anything.  Now, when I take even .25, I feel sick and drugged.

Is Escitalopram  identical to Lexapro?  I know I was told they both come in liquid.  I took the generic.

I have no pain or physical problems so far.  In your opinion, could a tiny amount relieve this piercing terror and anxiety?  Like 1/20th of a ml.?  I guess I still run the risk of making it worse? I hope you don't mind me asking, how long can someone stay on a tiny amount? Indefinitely? Thank you for your time.

Godiswithme,

I can not tell you what do to, but IF I were you, I would def try a tiny reinstatement of the lexapro if you can.

You have very similar symptoms (except for the tongue thing, which I would agree is probably the Abilify)

when I took that first tiny dose of lexapro, that tight feeling in my body was gone in only 4 hrs.

The terror, that took longer, BUT it  IS gone now!! it's gone!

I was so scared of things getting worse, that I stayed on that tiny dose for quite some time.  Looking back now, I think since most of my symptoms got BETTER on that tiny dose, I probably would have been safe to keep inching up a tiny bit more each day. And I might have gotten better in a matter of days, instead of the couple of weeks it took. So keep that in mind too, IF you do decide to try reinstating a tiny dose, and it helps, maybe don't stay at that super low dose quite as long as I did. I understand completely wanting the terror to be over. I still have a hard time talking about it, it was so horrible. (((hugs)))

I don't know if you saw in my thread, that when I first had the intolerable anxiety, i  took a tiny bit of klonopin a few times.   It did not help and may have made things worse.

The thing that worked for me was re instating on the lexapro

and I was COMPLETELY OFF lexapro since early MAY. so it can work. I think I had success because i started at such a super low dose.

I had tried to reinstate in May and went to 2mgs after being on 2.5 and that did not work.

but doing this tiny dose reinstatement some 5 mos later, did work.

No one can tell you what will ultimately work for you. I can only tell you what has happened in my case.

I too have been on multiple drugs include atypical antipsychotics with benzos etc and the only drug that has caused me that horrible anxiety coming off it was the lexapro. the damn stuff is evil.

oh by the way: I CT'ed off of lexapro many years ago and went thru the same thing. I was off it for a very long time at least 6 mos) and was able to go back on and put an end to the WD.  esp the anxiety. Being back on it

I had other issues, sleeping more than I wanted to, but hell, compared to the terror, that was easy to handle!!

I see you are looking at success stories, GOOD FOR YOU!

I know it helps a lot when were are in our darkest hours to know that they WILL END

and they will end for you and YOU WILL GET BETTER!

I am praying for you. I am not even sure I believe in a God but I have been doing a LOT of praying these past couple of months, so I guess I'm hopeful lol

Thank you so much.  How long before the terror went away?  You are on .2 ml now? Can u stay on that forever?  How much better are you? Is withdrawal non existent for you now? 

• Mentor

Thank you so much.  How long before the terror went away?  You are on .2 ml now? Can u stay on that forever?  How much better are you? Is withdrawal non existent for you now?

hi hon

I am taking my lexapro in divided doses, some in the AM and some in the PM. I think this is working a lot better for me.

I take 0.15 in the AM and 0.2 in the PM for a total of 0.35 mgs per day. 

the terror went away when I got to a total of 0.3mgs per day (0.1mg AM 0.2mgs PM)

But all my other symptoms were slowly getting better nearly every day.

i take my doses almost exactly 12 hrs apart. If I were not able to do this, I think I would be better off with once a day dosing.

you will have to decide for yourself what you want to do.

Please try not to think beyond right now, today. No worries about the future, it won't help you.OK?

just know that WD will NOT last forever and you will recover and be ok. YOU WILL!

Let's just get you thru today and the next few days. One day at a time. that's the only way to do this :-)

or one hour at  a time during the rough spots.

today I had a big window. I had very few WD symptoms and none of them were esp bothersome. I noticed them but I did not stress about them because #1 that won't change anything and #2 stressing about stuff is NOT good for you, esp when you are in WD

it helps a lot to just accept that this is WD and not worry about when it will end, because no one knows.

It's hard to see that ppl had several years of WD but remember, there are ppl who got better SOONER and then left the forum, because they had no reason to come back here

No one knows if you'll be one of those lucky ones. It's good to think that you will be. It helps to have hope.

I do not know how long I will stay at this dose. I PLAN to stay on it for at least 2 mos, probably 3.

I hope you are having a better night.

If you are able to, you might want to consider buying this CD - I play it over and over and over again, all night long when I am awake and anxious. It helps.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/goodbye-worries/id402479217

amazon sells it and so do a lot of other places

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Thank you so much. How long before the terror went away? You are on .2 ml now? Can u stay on that forever? How much better are you? Is withdrawal non existent for you now?

hi hon

I am taking my lexapro in divided doses, some in the AM and some in the PM. I think this is working a lot better for me.

I take 0.15 in the AM and 0.2 in the PM for a total of 0.35 mgs per day.

the terror went away when I got to a total of 0.3mgs per day (0.1mg AM 0.2mgs PM)

But all my other symptoms were slowly getting better nearly every day.

i take my doses almost exactly 12 hrs apart. If I were not able to do this, I think I would be better off with once a day dosing.

you will have to decide for yourself what you want to do.

Please try not to think beyond right now, today. No worries about the future, it won't help you.OK?

just know that WD will NOT last forever and you will recover and be ok. YOU WILL!

Let's just get you thru today and the next few days. One day at a time. that's the only way to do this :-)

or one hour at a time during the rough spots.

today I had a big window. I had very few WD symptoms and none of them were esp bothersome. I noticed them but I did not stress about them because #1 that won't change anything and #2 stressing about stuff is NOT good for you, esp when you are in WD

it helps a lot to just accept that this is WD and not worry about when it will end, because no one knows.

It's hard to see that ppl had several years of WD but remember, there are ppl who got better SOONER and then left the forum, because they had no reason to come back here

No one knows if you'll be one of those lucky ones. It's good to think that you will be. It helps to have hope.

I do not know how long I will stay at this dose. I PLAN to stay on it for at least 2 mos, probably 3.

I hope you are having a better night.

If you are able to, you might want to consider buying this CD - I play it over and over and over again, all night long when I am awake and anxious. It helps.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/goodbye-worries/id402479217

amazon sells it and so do a lot of other places

Thank you Catnapt. I'm confused. You give great advice. But I don't understand the RI part.

How much better do you feel after reinstatement? Are you planning to take more or less in the future?

If you would rather not answer, I understand.

• Mentor

How much better do you feel after reinstatement? Are you planning to take more or less in the future?

If you would rather not answer, I understand.

it's ok

today I feel almost normal. I just went up a bit in dose two days ago

Since reinstatement on Oct 26, I have felt better every single day. but every day also had hard parts

Today was the first day that I felt mostly pretty good.

I think (but of course I do not know) that if I had gone up a bit sooner in my RI dose, I *may* have felt better, sooner.

there's no way to know.

I did have some added symptoms that I did not have before RI- I have some jaw pain and tightness (minor!)

I have the lexapro yawn

I have hot sweats and periods when I am very cold - regardless of what the temperature is.

None of those things are terrible. They are easy to deal with.

Right now, because I had a good day at the dose I am at, I plan to stay where I am.

I am going to try hard to keep to this dose. I want to stabilize. I know I will still have some WD but I hope to be able to have such mild symptoms, from a super slow taper like Scallywags, that I don't feel like I need to do anything but that super slow taper.

the only thing that would make me consider going up again, is if that terror comes back and lasts for more than one night.

then I might consider going up a tiny bit more.

but I am just taking it day by day.

I jumped off at 2.5mgs in early May

I RI 'ed at the end of Oct.

I am doing very well. I didn't believe that I would get to here, this quickly.

It felt like a very very long time going thru it, but it wasn't really.

and as I said, each day was at least a tiny bit better than the day before, in some way.

I hope things go as well for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Godiswithme,

once you are off drugs, it takes a while for the system to go back to a drug free state, typically 6 to 18 months, but it's not as bad as you are feeling right now.  The symptoms decrease in intensity, bit by bit, until they are quite bearable.  At some point it becomes easier, but until then it's hard.

There is some healing that takes place from the escitalopram/Abilify even while you are on Xanax.  

The anxiety responses includes an increase ability to exhale, to that you can get breaths in easier while running a way from a saber tooth tiger, so that is probably the pressure you are feeling in your chest.  

Once the CNS is sensitized, we are more sensitive to drugs.  That might explain why you don't feel very good after taking a Xanax dose.  If you decrease the dose, you may get higher anxiety so it's tricky to decrease the Xanax at this time.  

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

Thank you for responding. I am confused. I cold turkeyed. Haven't I risked years and years of recovery? I'm afraid to do nothing. Afraid to reinstate. what ate the odds of the 6 - 18 mos? I know you aren't a psychic? Just looking for an informed opinion. Thank you.

Giwm

Do you find the propranolol is helping?

I plan on using cbd oil if I ever run into anxiety problems. You might want to look into it.

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

• Administrator

Good to hear you're on a more regular schedule with the benzo. It may take some time for your system to accommodate, hopefully in a more calm direction.

If you can feel you need the second and third dose, I suspect you may either need more doses or a bit of an updose. Please discuss in the Benzo forum. But be sure to give regular dosing a chance, keep notes of symptoms relative to when you take your drugs.

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off drugs. We can't predict how long it will take for your nervous system to settle down.

Did you ever take Celexa?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Giwm

Do you find the propranolol is helping?

I plan on using cbd oil if I ever run into anxiety problems. You might want to look into it.

I only take it when my heart is pounding out of my chest. It's 20mg and I sometimes split it in half. I'm not really taking it much right now. It worked, but made me feel weird.

What is cbd oil?

Good to hear you're on a more regular schedule with the benzo. It may take some time for your system to accommodate, hopefully in a more calm direction.

If you can feel you need the second and third dose, I suspect you may either need more doses or a bit of an updose. Please discuss in the Benzo forum. But be sure to give regular dosing a chance, keep notes of symptoms relative to when you take your drugs.

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off drugs. We can't predict how long it will take for your nervous system to settle down.

Did you ever take Celexa?

No, I never did. May I please ask why you are asking?

Does the fact that I took the anti depressant for 2 years enter into it at all? I'm not sure length of time matters?

I guess not? I watched a video of you today and I think your time on was 3 1/2 yrs? Is your entire story anywhere on this website?

Thank you so much for responding.