Sign in to follow this  
Happy2Heal

help for feelings of depression,doom, gloom

Happy2Heal

I have found this one simple thing that helps when I start to have feelings of doom and gloom creep in:

I look up! seriously. it is that simple.

i feel like I read a study about this online, some time ago, that looking up does indeed combat depressed feelings, but what happened was that I noticed that the longer I am looking down, for any reason (like when I"m sewing) the more dark feelings start to accumulate,

so i take breaks to look up.

when I am out walking, instead of always looking at the ground, I will force myself to look up and around.

i have a degree of agoraphobia so this is not always easy for me, that's why i say I force myself to do it.

I hope this little tidbit helps someone

scallywag

That's great catnapt! 

It took me a few seconds to understand what you wrote,  "Huh, what? <pause> <thinking> Ohhhhhhhh, actually looking up. Shifting where my eyes are looking to something at a higher elevation, higher than my head."

Sometimes language expressions are a pain-in-the-behind.

AliG

Thanks for sharing Cat. Sometimes the simplest things have so much value .  I like the phrase - " LOOK UP ".  Simple yet elegant.

ChessieCat

Did a bit of googling and found this:  happiness-is-looking-up

Green font is my emphasis.  TED talk is interesting.

"We are what we do

Although it might seem an over-simplistic and unrealistic idea, science supports the idea that we can change how we feel by first changing our body language. Embodied cognition is the idea that not only does our mind influence our body, but our body also influences our mind. There is some very interesting research that shows we can increase our feeling of power by simply adopting recognized “power poses“ to influence our brain chemicals as explained in this TED talk by one of the study’s researchers Amy Cuddy."