FuzzyDunlop: Unsure about how to continue on my Klonopin taper

FuzzyDunlop

Hi everyone,

I have been on Klonopin since 2013 and started my taper in tolerance withdrawal this past February at 2.5 mg's a day. My method of tapering was to liquefy .5 mg's in 100 mL's of milk and reduce by 10% a month while taking the rest of my dosage dry. Things were far from good but ever since I've been at about 1.75 when I slowed to 5% I've been completely non functional. I'm extremely dizzy, have DP/DR, horrible morning anxiety, agoraphobia, bad gastro issues, insomnia, depression and many other symptoms that I'm sure many of you suffer from. 

I know that everyone is different and that a MT was not a guarantee to a smooth ride by any means but I at least thought it would be bearable. I don't work, I don't see my friends, my memory and photo-sensitivity are so bad that I can't really even watch TV/movies/sports and I honestly have no idea how anyone can live like this for a prolonged period of time. My prescriber is extremely unwise when it comes to benzos and attributes any worsening in my symptoms entirely to my "underlying anxiety disorder" while pushing drugs even though I've been seeing her for three years and have gotten MUCH worse as I unwittingly let her up my Klonopin dosage and try several SSRI's and other psych meds.

I just don't know how to progress. I am at 1.5 mg's so I am just holding there and taking my full dosage dry for the time being but I don't know whether to try a cut and hold or find someone who will oversee a Valium crossover (which I've been looking for to no avail for a long time) or what. I just don't know if there's anything that I could be doing to limit the amount of suffering that I'm going through and I'm feeling very hopeless and confused. I don't ever seem to "stabilize" but I don't know how to proceed. I'm not sure what I'm looking for to come out of this but any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Put on Ativan in December of 2012 and told to take three pills daily. I believe it was 1.5 mg's.

Switched to Xanax in April of 2013. I believe it was 1.0 mg's.

Switched to 1 mg Klonopin in August of 2013 gradually updosed until I reached 2.5 mg's in December of 2015.

Began 10% dry/liquid microtaper in February of 2016 at 2.5 mg's. I liquefied .5 mg's at a time in 100 mL's of milk while removing at first 1.2 mL's a day while taking the rest dry until arriving at roughly 1.75 mg's when I switched to .6 mL's a day.

10/31/16 - at 1.5 mg's. Currently holding taking whole dose dry. 11/03/16 - Bad side effects, updose to 2 mg's 11/30/16 - Failed substitution with Valium. Doctor wouldn't do crossover and did not give proper equivalency. Did not go well. Also briefly on Gabapentin for about 2 weeks at 150-300 mg's 12/04/16 - Back to 2 mg's of Klonopin 12/27/16 - Reinstated to 2.5 mg K. Symptoms at all time worst. Completely non functional.

Have been briefly on and off of many other SSRI's and psych meds including Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Gabapentin and Lamictal. They were all very low dosages and the only one that I was on for more than a few days is Celexa which I got up to 10 mg's for roughly two months and tapered off of.

• Moderator Emeritus

FuzzyDunlop,

welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.  I've moved your post to the introduction part of the forum, everyone has an intro page, that is your home page from which you post and give updates.  Of course, in the case of benzos, then the benzo forum is a good place for you, but you still need a home page.  

If I understand your situation correctly, the only drug that you are on is the benzo?  No other drug?

By the sounds of things, you are a knight-of-the-revolving-medicine-cabinet with the help of a prescription pad trigger happy doctor.  If you are going on/off drugs very rapidly, that is going to mess with your brain.  

Can you please update your sig to add the SSRI, other drugs, and can you please include the  dates you were on (approximate is fine), the dose, and the rate of taper of each, including the rate of taper of your benzo over the last 18 months or so. I think it might be useful to know which drug, how much and for how long.

Although the withdrawal from benzodiazepines in nothing short of a nightmare on a good day, it's possible that the multiple cold turkeys are adding fuel to an already bad situation.

Are you certain that your conditions has worsened because of the benzos, or could it be because of the multiple other drugs?

Now that you have the intro page, if you want to talk to me again,please come back to the benzo page and post again.   :blink:  

See you there.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

Thank you. Yes it's just klonopin. I'm sure the other drugs did not help but I did taper off of all if them and most I was not on for any longer than a week or two.

Put on Ativan in December of 2012 and told to take three pills daily. I believe it was 1.5 mg's.

Switched to 1 mg Klonopin in August of 2013 gradually updosed until I reached 2.5 mg's in December of 2015.

Began 10% dry/liquid microtaper in February of 2016 at 2.5 mg's. I liquefied .5 mg's at a time in 100 mL's of milk while removing at first 1.2 mL's a day while taking the rest dry until arriving at roughly 1.75 mg's when I switched to .6 mL's a day.

10/31/16 - at 1.5 mg's. Currently holding taking whole dose dry. 11/03/16 - Bad side effects, updose to 2 mg's 11/30/16 - Failed substitution with Valium. Doctor wouldn't do crossover and did not give proper equivalency. Did not go well. Also briefly on Gabapentin for about 2 weeks at 150-300 mg's 12/04/16 - Back to 2 mg's of Klonopin 12/27/16 - Reinstated to 2.5 mg K. Symptoms at all time worst. Completely non functional.

Have been briefly on and off of many other SSRI's and psych meds including Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Gabapentin and Lamictal. They were all very low dosages and the only one that I was on for more than a few days is Celexa which I got up to 10 mg's for roughly two months and tapered off of.

• Moderator Emeritus

FuzzyDunlop -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've done a great job listing your benzo history. When was your last dose of Celexa?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Honestly I'm not sure. Probably like June or July of this year I tried it for like 2 weeks and then gave up on it since it made my anxiety go through the roof and just made me feel off in a way that's difficult to describe.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to clarify, were you on Celexa 2 weeks or 2 months as you've posted in your signature?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

This is a double post from the benzo forum but I figure it can't hurt for some advice from ypu guys who specialize in tapering questions.

I'm in a really, really bad way. I haven't been "stable" in a long time since I was in tolerance wd before starting my liquid microtaper at 2.5 of Klonopin but ever since I've been at around 1.75 (currently holding at 1.5 mg) things have just been unbearable.

I'm really strongly considering going back up to 2.0 mg's and trying either a slower taper or a dry cut and hold because it's at the point where I'm seriously concerned that I'm going to end up in the psych ward even though I'm very much aware that they could do serious longterm damage to me.

I just can't handle the constant DP/DR and racing thoughts in addition to the dizziness, gastro problems and so many other side effects. I feel like I'm going insane. I know that this isn't easy for anyone but I legitimately can't handle this from a mental or a physical standpoint. I'd hate to erase the months of progress I've made but I don't know what else to do at this point. I cannot find a doctor who will switch me over to Valium and every day I hold at 1.5 mg's I get even worse.

Please let me know what you think of my situation and if it sounds like trying to make things more bearable by updosing sounds like a good idea.

Edited by scallywag
moved from topic started in Tapering forum

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your question to your introduction topic so that all your information is in one of two places and so that more people will see your question.

I wish I could help you with your hold/updose decision. Unfortunately I know virtually nothing about benzodiazepine medications.

scallywag's Introduction

• 4 months later...

I started my taper last February at 2.5 mg's of Klonopin. By October of 2016 I had gotten down to 1.5 however my method of doing so was to liquefy .5 mg's in 100 mL's of milk at a time while keeping the rest of my dosage dry. This worked for me for the first several months but eventually I got slammed and never recovered. I've been told by others that this is because my dosages were uneven and that perhaps I tapered too fast for what my system can handle. I reinstated to 2.5 and really wish I hadn't as it hasn't helped at all. 

I've tried to switch to all liquid three times now with the most recent being last week and every time it is just unbearable. My side effects get revved up times like 100 and after three or four days I just can't take it anymore. I've heard many people say that it shouldn't have any difference being in liquid and I've heard others say that they had a difficult time becoming acclimated at the start and then it leveled out. I've been holding for a while and I really want to get back to tapering but knowing that I can't handle a switch to all liquid I feel like I'm stuck. I'm wondering if I should try substituting one liquid dose and take the rest dry and hold and then substitute two and so on until I'm at all liquid and hopefully acclimated and able to bear it. I don't have any studies or anything to prove this but I feel like some people just struggle with absorption of the liquid form more than others do.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you have had issues and if so what you did and if things ever settled down. I really don't want to go the razor/scale route. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Fuzzy, I've moved your post/question to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

You may wish to switch over to liquid gradually -- 1/4 of your dose as liquid, 3/4 as tablet or capsule for however long you'd normally hold, then go to 50-50 and hold, then 3/4 as liquid and 1/4 as tablet hold, then go to 100% liquid. All during this time you'd keep the dose constant.

If that's insufficient information or an unworkable proposal for you, please post an new topic for yourself in the Members-only benzo forum. The members and moderators there have more experience with Klonopin and the other benzos than we do here.

scallywag's Introduction

• 8 months later...

I had my third failed attempt to taper off of Klonopin about two weeks ago and things got so bad that I went to the ER and was sent to a CCS (Community Crisis Services) unit for 2 days which is basically a psych ward that isn't locked down. I had a medication evaluation while there with a psychiatric NP and she prescribed Amitriptyline 10 mg's and Propranolol 60 mg's extended release (she was pushing for Seroquel but I said no). Anyway I had to reinstate my Klonopin dosage to 2.5 but I had only been dry cutting for a few weeks and the first night the Amitriptyline and Propranolol seemed to help me sleep and improve my mood the next day. 

However it wasn't long before I started feeling completely brain dead. Since my blood pressure is perfect and it wasn't doing much if anything for my anxiety I stopped the Propranolol a week ago after just 6 nights. Two nights ago I decided to stop the Amitriptyline as well which I was on for a total of 10 days, four of which were at 5 mg's after I thought 10 had made me too groggy. Yesterday I woke up with a horrible stomach ache and had awful diarrhea and then slept all day and then today I woke up and immediately vomited before sleeping all day yet again. It's hard to tell since I always feel like hell from being in tolerance withdrawal from the Klonopin but, I didn't think I would have to taper since I was on such a small dosage for such a short period of time. Just looking for thoughts on the situation. I'm sure I haven't done my central nervous system any favors but I really just want to be off of Klonopin and was hoping these meds would help ive me some stability and quickly realized that wasn't worth the risk of long term use of a beta blocker or a TCA. Should these symptoms go away soon if they are Amitryptiline withdrawal? 

• Administrator

Merged your new topic with your existing Intro topic. Please post further developments in this topic.

As we say, going on and off drugs sensitizes your nervous system. You have adverse symptoms from drug changes.

If you don't change anything again and let your nervous system settle down, the symptoms probably will gradually go away. If you go on and off more drugs, other weird things will happen.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thank you