SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

wintery: Zoloft cold turkey

wintery

Hi Wintery,

I am so sorry you still feel bad. I'm the one strongly against reinstate as drug reaction from dose incraese got me in a much worse hell. But I also understand how Unbearable WD can be.

You may want to check out Catnapt thread for some info about micro dose reinstate. She went back 0.3 mg Lexapro successfully. The key is the less the better ( we are talking about 0.1mg or so ) to test the water and to avoid potential reaction. As you can always increase if needed.

Thank you LexAnger,

I am desperate but afraid to try another reinstatement, I just don't know what direction to take at this point, is been only a few months without AD, I am going to read Catnapt thread for guidance, also I need to figure out again what other supplements to try, I am just afraid today, panicky about the pain and not being able to tolerate much longer, my husband insist on taking me to the ER but honestly I don't want to because they will give me Ativan or strong pain meds that I am not sure how I will respond,

Having you guys reply helps me to know I am not alone and that someone understands.

2006-2013 Zoloft prescribed for one panic attack 25 mg - 100 mg

05/2013 extreme anxiety prescribed Klonopin 1 mg per day took only as needed

08/2013 Panic attacks with anxiety; increased to 150 mg Zoloft / prescribed Wellbutrin also dont remember dose

10/2015 Zoloft changed manufacturers and Symptons of WD started, brain zaps, chest pains, memory problems, burning skin, achy feet & hands,

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

07/2016 Quit Job, couldn't handle vertigo, commuting and brain zaps

08/2016 Tried re-stating Zoloft  50 mg Bad Reaction

09/2016 Tried Paxil 20 mg (9 days bad reaction) Lexapro (7 days  bad reaction) Effexor 37.5 mg (bad reaction)

11/2016 Tried Zoloft 50 mg no luck.

Hi, Wintery

Sorry about what you are going through right now.'

I reinstated at a ultra low dose of lexapro.

First 1mg, which was too strong for my nervous system and made me feel worse. I managed to stabilize (a relative term) at 0.5mg. Im now at 0.08mg after 14 months of tapering and feeling much better.

Cipramillion,

How far into WD did you Reinstated? my last dose of Zoloft was in October when I tried a second reinstatement but the dose was too high and it didn't know anything about withdrawal yet, I only took it a few days and it made me feel so bad,

08/2013 Panic attacks with anxiety; increased to 150 mg Zoloft / prescribed Wellbutrin also dont remember dose

10/2015 Zoloft changed manufacturers and Symptons of WD started, brain zaps, chest pains, memory problems, burning skin, achy feet & hands,

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

09/2016 Tried Paxil 20 mg (9 days bad reaction) Lexapro (7 days  bad reaction) Effexor 37.5 mg (bad reaction)

• Moderator Emeritus

Wintery,

As the others in your thread have been discussing, a reinstatement of a micro-dose is an option for you.  Your last reinstatement attempts were at relatively high doses, which may have caused unnecessarily bad reactions. 

If you do want to discuss reinstating a tiny amount, please do so.  In a case like this, with so many variables I'd like some other mods to give their opinions too, both on which drug and at what amount. 

What self-care things are you doing to try to ease your way through this?  If you need some fresh ideas, have a look here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/ and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7713-non-drug-techniques-for-dealing-with-physical-pain/

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I reinstated after 3 weeks from cold turkey( 2.5mg). I was crawling on my knees to the pharmacy to beg for liquid lexapro. Started at 1 mg. Had to go to the ER after 48 hours with extreme Heart/pulse BPM and invuluntary novements of arms and legs. I also had the shaking/tremor/vibrations like you describe here. Did a last shot with 0.5 mg and managed to stabilize on that dose after a few weeks.

The worst WD symptoms subsided right away for me, even at 1 mg. As Lex anger just mentioned, this is not a foolproof method, it can work both ways. My case is a bit diffrrent because this happened to me after just 3 weeks at 5 mg. My nervous system was already in a crisis from combination of a vaccine reaction and Epstein Barr infection, which actually causes some of the same symptoms as WD. The medical term for this is Dysautonomia. Of course my doc was clueless to this. I should never have been subscribed Lexapro at all. Hopefully your nervous system is in a better shape than mine was at that time. Lexapro is also a much stronger SSRI. 1 mg Lexapro will act almost double/triple the effect of some of the other SSRIs.

You will het through this. The nervous system does an incredible job repairing itself over time. It is actually seeking homostasis in withdrawal, adjusting and trying to find the right balance back to a normal state. We just need to take good care of ourselves while the healing process happens.

<p>Sept 2015: 5 mg Cipralex for 3 weeks. Lots of side effects. Reduced to 2.5 mg for 2 weeks. Experiencing withdrawal and side effects still after dose reduction. Quit after almost 4 weeks on 2.5 mg because of adverse effects. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms still. Reinstating 1mg after 3 weeks. Reduced to 0.50 after 2 days due to sensitive reaction (dysautonomia) and trip to ER. January 2016: After 14 months of tapering from 0.5 mg im now down to 0.08mg. Planing on one more drop before 4-8 weeks healing, then jump to zero. 14.03.17: Lexapro free!

Wintery,

As the others in your thread have been discussing, a reinstatement of a micro-dose is an option for you.  Your last reinstatement attempts were at relatively high doses, which may have caused unnecessarily bad reactions. 

If you do want to discuss reinstating a tiny amount, please do so.  In a case like this, with so many variables I'd like some other mods to give their opinions too, both on which drug and at what amount. 

What self-care things are you doing to try to ease your way through this?  If you need some fresh ideas, have a look here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/ and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7713-non-drug-techniques-for-dealing-with-physical-pain/

Hugs,

Karen

Thank you Karen,

I am going to therapy once a week, I have tried supplements like magnesium, holy basil, ashwaghanda, Inositol all with no relief or bad reactions either triggering anxiety, mental fog or other things.

I will take a look and see what else I can do to help me, also I try to go out when I have a window and push myself to do other things when I am in a wave, I meditate, I pray and spend good time in the shower, do magnesium foot soaks, I also watch what I eat some foods also trigger symptoms for me, I am still considering reinstatement but is been a while and I am second guessing that option,  

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

I reinstated after 3 weeks from cold turkey( 2.5mg). I was crawling on my knees to the pharmacy to beg for liquid lexapro. Started at 1 mg. Had to go to the ER after 48 hours with extreme Heart/pulse BPM and invuluntary novements of arms and legs. I also had the shaking/tremor/vibrations like you describe here. Did a last shot with 0.5 mg and managed to stabilize on that dose after a few weeks.

The worst WD symptoms subsided right away for me, even at 1 mg. As Lex anger just mentioned, this is not a foolproof method, it can work both ways. My case is a bit diffrrent because this happened to me after just 3 weeks at 5 mg. My nervous system was already in a crisis from combination of a vaccine reaction and Epstein Barr infection, which actually causes some of the same symptoms as WD. The medical term for this is Dysautonomia. Of course my doc was clueless to this. I should never have been subscribed Lexapro at all. Hopefully your nervous system is in a better shape than mine was at that time. Lexapro is also a much stronger SSRI. 1 mg Lexapro will act almost double/triple the effect of some of the other SSRIs.

You will het through this. The nervous system does an incredible job repairing itself over time. It is actually seeking homostasis in withdrawal, adjusting and trying to find the right balance back to a normal state. We just need to take good care of ourselves while the healing process happens.

your words mean a lot Thank you Cipramillion, I keep telling myself that my brain will heal eventually, I have changed a lot of things and I am conscious that this will be it for the rest of my life, you were incredible lucky to have reinstated at  the short time after Withdrawal started, so happy  it worked for you, sorry you had to go thru that, dealing with withdrawal is horrible and having that reaction to the vaccine just to top if off must have been bad, how are you doing this days?

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

Thank you, Wintery. You are doing a great job fighting this and making though descisions. I know just how hard the choice about Reinstating can be. Not easy.

Im feeling better. The worst part for me is the akathisia (inner terror/agitaton and redtlessness),

Which comes and goes. Fatigue is another problem. The waves are more mild and shorter than they used to be. Im more optimistic now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Getting enough sleep, regular excersise,

a healthy diet (low carb) and no caffeine/alcohol has made a huge difference for me. Im hypersensitive to all stimulants, supplements and meds.

Need to keep it at a minimum. A cup of coffee can skyrocket my akathisia and it feels like my head is gonna explode. Just a bottle of bear will give me hang over for several weeks.

Im sorry that you feel bad right now. You will find a lot of good support here and you will heal like the rest of us. It just take some time and patience, but you will get there. Wish you the best.

Cipramillion.

<p>Sept 2015: 5 mg Cipralex for 3 weeks. Lots of side effects. Reduced to 2.5 mg for 2 weeks. Experiencing withdrawal and side effects still after dose reduction. Quit after almost 4 weeks on 2.5 mg because of adverse effects. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms still. Reinstating 1mg after 3 weeks. Reduced to 0.50 after 2 days due to sensitive reaction (dysautonomia) and trip to ER. January 2016: After 14 months of tapering from 0.5 mg im now down to 0.08mg. Planing on one more drop before 4-8 weeks healing, then jump to zero. 14.03.17: Lexapro free!

• 1 month later...

​I've been away sometime, had a nice window of a couple weeks but then i get hit with same symptoms I started back in August specially the burning painful skin sensation on my feet and hands, I want to think this symptom is due to Withdrawal but I am scared it could be something like MS, Lupus or fibromyalgia

I wish someone could re assure it will go away after this is over and that someday I will write a success story of my own, I am so sad today can barely pick my self up to do anything.

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

• Moderator Emeritus

wintery - burning skin sensations can be a withdrawal symptom:

Burning skin, burning feet

You may want to download a version of the withdrawal symptom checklist developed by Dr. Joseph Glenmullen. It can be a helpful reference when something new shows up:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

wintery - burning skin sensations can be a withdrawal symptom:

Burning skin, burning feet

You may want to download a version of the withdrawal symptom checklist developed by Dr. Joseph Glenmullen. It can be a helpful reference when something new shows up:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

thank you so much, I am downloading now, this gives me so much hope

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

• Moderator Emeritus

My husband (member on SA 'Mister KarenB') also gets burning sensations.  He gets some (temporary) relief by putting ice-packs on it.  It's a pretty miserable symptom. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

My husband (member on SA 'Mister KarenB') also gets burning sensations.  He gets some (temporary) relief by putting ice-packs on it.  It's a pretty miserable symptom. 

it is very painful and scary, I have applied pain patches and will try the ice packs, I found that this past week I felt it even more with the little warmer weather here, but is the same way as last year when I went into WD, just so disheartening because I taught that was in the past.

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, warmer weather makes it worse for my husband, too.  He also uses a fan a lot and wears very thin cotton clothing in order to keep cooler.  When it's at it's worst, he uses distractions like movies so he doesn't get overly worked up about it.  And other times he seems to need to do something active. 

Perhaps you can try different approaches to see what helps you through it the best. 

8 month hold.

Yes, warmer weather makes it worse for my husband, too.  He also uses a fan a lot and wears very thin cotton clothing in order to keep cooler.  When it's at it's worst, he uses distractions like movies so he doesn't get overly worked up about it.  And other times he seems to need to do something active. 

Perhaps you can try different approaches to see what helps you through it the best. 

that is so true, I need to stay distracted the more I pay attention the more I feel it, my mind keeps telling me something is really wrong with my body but knowing there are others on the same boat and for the same reason gives me a little peace, thank you KarenB.

06/2016 Quit Zoloft; 

• 1 month later...

Hello, wintery.

I'm so sorry that you're going through so much. I hope for the best for you in the coming months, but I know you'll get through it!

Your story really caught my attention because of the chest pains symptom. I'm 26 and I, too, have had chest pains, ever since I quit taking ADs. In December I went to the ER and had chest x-ray, blood work, EKGs, and a doctor examine me. They couldn't find anything wrong and said it was most likely the anxiety. I've had it ever since and it had gone away once for awhile, but recently came back. According to some others, tension might be the reason for it, along with anxiety and panic.

Know that you're not alone in this. Everyone together will make it through as long as we support one another. We don't know exactly what the other is going through or how it is, but we have a good idea about it, more of an understanding than most people. Do your best to stay as positive as possible, even if it's difficult. You WILL get through this! If you ever want to chat, feel free to message me! One of the best things we can do, in my opinion, is to help others. The more encouraging we are of others and the more we help others, I feel the more we will help ourselves as well. You can do this! You can get through this because you are strong! Just hang on and move forward!

- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

* Morning stretching routine every day *