Press release: Gluten Intolerance Treatment Enabled Patient to Kick 7 Antidepressants

compsports

I found this article interesting although I have some doubts about how the place would be with withdrawal issues. Yes, gluten intolerance definitely can cause depression but going on a gluten free diet is not going to necessarily eliminate withdrawal symptoms.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gluten-intolerance-treatment-enabled-patient-to-kick-seven-antidepressants-2011-10-07

Getting off antidepressants is notoriously difficult. In fact, the group of withdrawal symptoms even has a name - 'antidepressant discontinuation syndrome'. Pharmaceutical companies provide a lot of information about how to take the drugs, but none on how to stop taking them. At HealthNOW Medical Center, patients are routinely able to come off their antidepressants by getting tested to find the root cause for their depression and getting the appropriate treatment. Often, the cause is a condition known as gluten intolerance.

Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome includes a host of uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous symptoms. These include:

-- Anxiety, agitation

-- Depression, mood swings

-- Flu-like symptoms

-- Irritability and aggression

-- Insomnia, nightmares

-- Nausea and vomiting

-- Dizziness, loss of coordination

-- Stomach cramping and pain

-- Electric shock sensations

-- Tremor, muscle spasms

According to Dr. Vikki Petersen, Certified Clinical Nutritionist, author of the groundbreaking book "The Gluten Effect" and co-founder of HealthNOW Medical Center, these withdrawal symptoms are often the reason why patients continue on the drugs.

"Patients who try to stop taking antidepressants often mistake the symptoms for an indication that they need to continue taking the drugs," she said. "In fact, they often don't need them at all, and the longer they take them, the more their health is at risk. At HealthNOW Medical Center, we've developed a protocol for getting patients off antidepressants safely. This protocol always includes extensive testing to find the root cause of their depression so it can be cured. Often, gluten intolerance is a factor."

More at above link.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

I saw this last week and even contacted that center but I am not convinced their story is true. I believe it was published as a press release -- advertising from the center.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy