Beary: Amitriptyline x 3

Beary

I also had increased pain and burning in my head after I stopped the drug. The doctors tell me this is all in my head. They say take the steroid. I wish I had some idea whether the steroid would me this worse. I am currently taking an anti inflammatory prescription strength

Oct 2016 Took 10mg of amitriptyline, one per day for three days on Oct 6,7,8. Then stopped taking the medication when my legs jerked. Experiencing tingling body wide, burning in the top of my head and jerking movements at night ever since. No history of psychiatric drugs before or since.

Dec 2016 Jerking has lessened.  Burning in head has lessened.  Took anti inflamitories for a couple of weeks Nov 2016.  Now I have increased tingling all over my body, increased burning to my head, ear ringing and vision focusing issues.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beary

• scallywag

• ChessieCat

• keepinghope

Top Posters In This Topic

They also say these symptoms are caused by stress

Oct 2016 Took 10mg of amitriptyline, one per day for three days on Oct 6,7,8. Then stopped taking the medication when my legs jerked. Experiencing tingling body wide, burning in the top of my head and jerking movements at night ever since. No history of psychiatric drugs before or since.

Dec 2016 Jerking has lessened.  Burning in head has lessened.  Took anti inflamitories for a couple of weeks Nov 2016.  Now I have increased tingling all over my body, increased burning to my head, ear ringing and vision focusing issues.

I am now on meloxicam and have tingling and a burning sensation on my scalp. Is this a worsening of withdrawal or just anxiety over taking another prescription medication?

Stress and worry can make symptoms a lot worse, and much harder to deal with. I know it's easier said than done, but when you find yourself worrying about your symptoms, try to keep calm - breathing exercises are really good for this.

Whether your symptoms are down to your withdrawal, a reaction to the amitriptyline or your injury I don't know; if withdrawal from or a reaction to the amitriptyline try to stay positive - you only took 3 doses and the further you get from the last dose the more the symptoms should lessen. 

I've been panicking because I took diazepam for 6 days (prescribed for pain from a herniated disc) and on stopping it I got symptoms, which I didn't expect after such a short time on it. But I get that your worry comes from not knowing what is/has caused what. If it's withdrawal, there's nothing you can do but ride it out and stay as calm as possible, look after yourself and try not to stress (easier said than done I know!), same if it was a reaction to the drug. In time, your symptoms will lessen. 

The steroids I don't know enough about I'm sorry, did one of the mods post a link to a topic about them on the first page of your thread? Even so, it's a short course and if you've started taking them, worrying about that will increase everything tenfold. Just breathe. It will all be fine and you'll come out of this. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

Thank you. I didn't take the steroids- too scared. Even though they said I needed them to recover. The string was about someone afraid to take steroids that didn't end up doing it so no insight there. My concern is making the withdrawal worse with s new medication but the docs say I need these to get my neck better. This has caused a lot of anxiety. I am panicing that the prescription non steroid anti inflammatory might be making things worse

Ah I see. I had to take a really strong NSAID a couple of months ago when I was in a lot of pain. It was so strong I had to take it with omeprazole because there was a high risk of ulcers with it. It made no difference to my withdrawal symptoms, and I didn't get any new symptoms when I stopped taking it either. 

We're all different though, but try not to worry.

Whether or not to take the steroids is a decision only you can make, if it were me I'd be just as cautious as you. I know in my case when I get to see a neurosurgeon next month I may be offered epidural steroid injections, as the steroid calms the nerve, but it is only a temporary 'fix' - I think for most people the beneficial effects of the steroid injections last 2 weeks - a few months at most. 

So I don't know why the doctors think a short oral course of steroids will fix your problem - maybe you could go back to them with any questions like that and see what their thinking is, and that might help you come to a decision. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

• Moderator Emeritus

What are your symptoms? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Muscle jerks have stopped or greatly lessened in the past couple of days. I currently have tingling in my entire body and burning pain in a circle all around the top of my head as well as some neck discomfort.

They say for some the oral steroids are enough to fix things and for others with more of a problem they need injections and for others they need surgery.

Keeping hope are you improving? Your wd that is?

The withdrawal from the 6 days I was taking diazepam/valium? Yes, definitely. Been off it 8 days now and the first few days were the worst. Today has been the best day yet so I've got everything crossed I'm on the up. Won't be touching the stuff ever again that's for sure! Definitely one to be wary of if your doctors ever try and prescribe it to you - apparently it's often prescribed for muscle spasms and to help you sleep if in lots of pain, but it's highly addictive which they forget to tell you! 

The fact your muscle jerks have stopped/lessened is a great sign. Hope you keep on improving, I'm sure you will. Hopefully neither of us will need surgery, I've got everything crossed! 

Have you tried a heat pack round your neck - the long wheat bags you heat up in the microwave? I've found them brilliant for the nerve pain in my bum cheek and leg.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on steroids now and feel so much better. At least I did until I started coming off of them. Does that mean they helped? I didn't have a negative reaction when I took them but I'm nervous to come off of them.

After I went off the Amitryptoline I had this night where all my muscles were contracting and then that stopped.  I had vision problems at that point, but they were a worsening of my other symptoms from before the meds, not a totally new thing.  I was finally diagnosed with inflamation of the ocipital nerve dating back to my original concussion.  I was told to take steriods and then none steroid anti inflamitories to take down the inflamation.  I took the steriods and they completely took my inflamation away.  After i tapered off my symptoms all came back but I'm not sure if they are at the same level.  I just cant remember how i felt before the steroids. 

I had to do something as every time I moved my neck fast the symptoms were getting worse.  Now I'm not sure what to do.

The withdrawal from the 6 days I was taking diazepam/valium? Yes, definitely. Been off it 8 days now and the first few days were the worst. Today has been the best day yet so I've got everything crossed I'm on the up. Won't be touching the stuff ever again that's for sure! Definitely one to be wary of if your doctors ever try and prescribe it to you - apparently it's often prescribed for muscle spasms and to help you sleep if in lots of pain, but it's highly addictive which they forget to tell you! 

The fact your muscle jerks have stopped/lessened is a great sign. Hope you keep on improving, I'm sure you will. Hopefully neither of us will need surgery, I've got everything crossed! 

Have you tried a heat pack round your neck - the long wheat bags you heat up in the microwave? I've found them brilliant for the nerve pain in my bum cheek and leg.

I was told to do a cold pack which really seems to help.

I am really scared.  Not sure if I am going to make it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Beary, feeling scared and overwhelmed is one of the rotten aspects of dealing with a medical condition including withdrawal or adverse effects from psychiatric medications.

It's not a fun experience and people DO get through this. You will too. Hang on tight and be kind to yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Okay this doctor diagnosed me with occipital nerve inflamation.  Every time I would jerk my neck for whatever reason I would become nausious and not be able to open my eyes for a week. This had been going on for months before the Amitryptaline but I no other doctor could diagnose.  One course of steroids and a couple weeks of NSAIDS and I feel so horrible.  Tingling in my entire body.  Burning on the top of my head.  Ringing ears.  Nausea.  He says my nerve is better and he does not recommend I taken any more medications because I am so sensitive to them and get side effects.  The NSAID has tingling as a side effect.  OMG did I just destroy my body by taking these or will I get better in time?

• Moderator Emeritus

Scientific research has discovered that the brain and CNS (central nervous system) have great healing and recovery capability.  You will get through this.

scallywag's Introduction

I am so scared.  Isn't there anything that can help.  I want to die but I have two young children that depend on me.  Before this I was active and did sports and kayaking and swimming with them.  My youngest is 5 and I don't know if she will ever know an active mom again!  Three fricking pills!  I have so much pain and the doc says to just ice it to avoid side effects from drugs!

what do you do if you need an anti inflamatory and cant take drugs?

• Moderator Emeritus

Would you be more specific:

- Why is an anti-inflammatory being considered?

- Why can't you take medications?

scallywag's Introduction

I took this anti inflamitory because my occipital nerve had been injured in my concussion in June and that was the only way to get it better.  It was causing recurring nausia and vision problems.  This caused tingling but I didn't know it because i was taking it at night so the bad tingling was over by the morning.  I took it for a couple of weeks.  After I went off of it I took one dose of Advil - I've always taken that for pain no problem.  Now I have ringing in the ears and severe tingling all over my body that almost feels like my body is shaking.  The tingling gets worse then better then worse then better.  Is this the windows and waves?  I have had some vision issues where I have problems focusing sometimes.  The neurologist that perscribed the anti inflamatory told me that my nerve is much better but don't use medications because obviously I am very sensative and get side effects.  He recommends I ice things if they feel inflamed and wants me to go to a opthemologist, and a psychologist and psychiatrist for anxiety which is very high.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for explaining.

It's hard to know if the ringing in the ears and tingling sensation is a delayed response to the anti-inflammatory you were taking, a response to the Advil, or a wave that was heading your way regardless.

Have you looked at these discussion topics for coping tips?

Tinnitus - ringing in the ears

Parasthesia - needling and tingling sensations

scallywag's Introduction

Yes.  The tingling is a side effect of the anti inflamatories as is the vision issues.  The ringing not sure.  It was going away when I was off the anti inflamatories for a week.  I hope it goes away again.  The prescription stuff didn't effect me as badly as the Advil.  Last night was rough with severe tingling almost like the bed was shaking but my husband couldn't feel any shaking.  I am very scared.

Do you know if you get tingling from Advil if it ever goes away?  I'm afraid to google this.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know. The tingling is more likely to be a "normal" withdrawal symptom, or part of a a delayed response to the anti-inflammatory drug or its discontinuation.

What activities can you do to distract yourself?

scallywag's Introduction

ive been doing stuff with my kids.  I can't sleep.  it wakes me up.  I want to die but I don't want to kill myself.  I just don't want to go through this anymore.  I've been suffering since June when I got the original concussion.  My husband and doc said that discontinuation was bs.  I figured something simple like Advil would be okay.  I don't know if I will make it.

what are your symptoms?

Does this hypersensitivity to meds ever stop.  Does your body ever go back to normal?

Nausea.  Is there anyone near me, any support group that I can meet with.

Omg.  If feels like electricity/insects are under my skin.  Is this the WD or a side effect of the Advil???!!!  It is getting worse every day!!!

I am very sure it's from the pshyc drug, either side effects or withdrawal, a mystery I simply couldn't figure out after years of intensive analyzing and experience.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

The electrical sensations are more likely to be a "normal" symptom of your CNS destabilization than a reaction to Advil. Are you currently taking Advil?

scallywag's Introduction

I had a very small amount of tingling.  Almost none.  I was told to take Meloxicam, a perscription anti inflamatory.  I took that for a few days and then was perscribed a steroid.  I took that for six days and then was told to go back on Meloxicam.  while on Meloxicam I was having a little trouble focusing as well.  I took it for maybe three days always at night until one day I stayed up after I took it and notice a lot of tingling.  I was scared and unable to reach the specialist who perscribed it.  My primary care doctor advised me to stop the Meloxicam and take Advil.  I took one dose of Advil and had a super hard time focusing.  Then lots of tingling.  Then the tingling lessened after it wore off.  My specialist took me off all anti inflamatories when I finally could reach him.  He said that this was a docmented but rare side effect of the drug and the entire class of NSAIDs.  Then about two days later the tingling got much worse.  My specialist did also say that it was possible that this was all caused by anxiety - of which I have an unlimited amount. 

Now I am back to only being on Synthroid with 100 MG of magnesium.  I hope it lessens.

I am very sure it's from the pshyc drug, either side effects or withdrawal, a mystery I simply couldn't figure out after years of intensive analyzing and experience.

does this go away?  Did your WD symptoms lessen or go away?

I can deal with this during the day walking around but I can't sleep.  any suggestions?