frustratedgirl: any interventions?

frustratedgirl

hello! I've taken antidepressants in the past 5 years to help me with my severe PMS, i initially took cymbalta then it was shifted to escitalopram 10mg/tab, I took it daily but failed to taper it. I got off from it around July then weeks after I noticed myself having troubles with my memory and concentration. Before taking it my memory was still sharp and retentive, the only time that I get to experience brain fog is when I'm a week or 2 away from the day of my period but now that I stopped taking it, my memory has become terrible and it's really frustrating. Is there any way my memory could go back the way it was prior to taking this drug? hoping for your reply soon... Thanks!

Edited by Shep
added username to title and added tags

cymbalta august 2011- 2014 for severe Premenstrual Syndrome  then shifted to escitalopram 10mg/tab from october 2014 to july 2016 then discontinued it abruptly, cold turkey...failed to taper it off. have been suffering from memory loss, confusion,insomnia, trouble with focus and concentration, hand tremors ,fatigue and anxiety lately. used to have alternate episodes of wave and windows but symptoms seem to be getting worse in time and window episodes become more rare to occur lately... my memory was way more retentive before taking the drug. at present I have no memory.

• Moderator Emeritus

frustratedgirl -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Cognitive issues such as poor memory are acknowledged symptoms of withdrawing from an SSRI such as escitalopram. You can read more about it in this discussion about Brain fog, memory and comprehension problems,etc.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Some other topics that are relevant for you:

1. What is withdrawal syndrome
  2. Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)
  3. Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
  4. How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
  5. Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...

I got off from escitalopram 10 mg last july and failed to taper it off. I have been experiencing alternate waves and window episodes since then. Just yesterday I had this severe withdrawal episode at work, so severe that things weren't registering the way they used to and It was hard for me retaining info due to impaired memory...

i had brain fog and even got confused spelling out simple words which I usually encounter at work daily...

i was so optimistic that I thought I was finally over the WD since i was feeling ok and in a good state few days prior... i even hit the gym , attended taebo session and took fish oil daily only to experience a wave episode the next day...

I don't know how long will i stay like this but i'm getting frustrated and scared because i don't know if the next day will be a good or bad one. Based from what i've mostly read on the net it takes an average of 2 years for others to recover from the symptoms brought about by the withdrawal. aside from fish oil and exercise, do you know some interventions which might help me deal with severe withdrawal episodes?

i just feel different and inferior sometimes because I couldn't give my best in the things that I do especially at work, it is really taking me some time before processing some info unlike before that I could easily carry out and perform difficult task at work effortlessly and efficiently...any suggestions that might help accelerate recovery and healing?

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks

cymbalta august 2011- 2014 for severe Premenstrual Syndrome  then shifted to escitalopram 10mg/tab from october 2014 to july 2016 then discontinued it abruptly, cold turkey...failed to taper it off. have been suffering from memory loss, confusion,insomnia, trouble with focus and concentration, hand tremors ,fatigue and anxiety lately. used to have alternate episodes of wave and windows but symptoms seem to be getting worse in time and window episodes become more rare to occur lately... my memory was way more retentive before taking the drug. at present I have no memory.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Frustratedgirl.

I moved your latest post here to your Intro thread. Please note there's only one Intro thread per person.

At 4 months out, you may want to try a very small reinstatement of escitalopram. Please see these threads for more information:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

You may want try .5 or 1 mg and see if this helps. Because your central nervous system (CNS) is destabilized, it's best to start at a very low dose.

Also, are you taking any other drugs or supplements? 

Please let us know how you're doing. 

Thanks for replying! at present i'm taking yaz birth control pills for severe Premenstrual syndrome...the main reason why i took SSRI in the first place...

im also having 1gm of fish oil daily and 1 capsule of vitamin E...im also planning on taking glutathione capsule since i heard it's good for withdrawal and it cleanses the liver which has been affected as most SSRI drugs are considered hepatotoxic and the last time I had my blood checked, I had an increased SGPT (liver enzyme).

Will it not leave my brain chemicals in disarray even more if I reinstate a little dosage after being off it for 4 months now?

My doctor found out that i stopped it abruptly for a month already...and 3 months after, i went back for ff up check up and asked if there's something we could do caz my cognition has been affected following discontinuation of the drug and my brain fog and poor memory and concentration have become worse and frequent than they were during premenstrual syndrome prior to taking the drug.

He then told be to never get back to the drug and just do simple measures like frequent exercise...

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks

• Moderator Emeritus

The problem isn't with your brain chemicals.  Descriptions at these two links could add to your understanding about what is going on during withdrawal:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Reinstatement of a very, very small dose helps many people, not all but many, after an abrupt stop or "cold turkey." What questions do you have after reading the topic about reinstating that Shep posted?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

The problem isn't with your brain chemicals.  Descriptions at these two links could add to your understanding about what is going on during withdrawal:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Reinstatement of a very, very small dose helps many people, not all but many, after an abrupt stop or "cold turkey." What questions do you have after reading the topic about reinstating that Shep posted?

yeah i understood it better after reading the link...I would like to reinstate but I was just thinking, im already taking yaz, (a birth control pill) for severe PMS, fish oil  and vitamin E, B complex and vitamin D+calcium and possible be taking gluta as well...will it not lead to any drug interaction if ever?

• Moderator Emeritus

You can check for interactions between medications and supplements here: Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

Enter escitalopram and Yasmin.

We suggest that people not take B complex vitamins. Many people have found them too stimulating during withdrawal. Are you taking it because you are on Yaz?

It's hard to see your medications history with your symptoms listed there as well. Would you take a moment to delete them from your signature?

scallywag's Introduction

You can check for interactions between medications and supplements here: Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

Enter escitalopram and Yasmin.

We suggest that people not take B complex vitamins. Many people have found them too stimulating during withdrawal. Are you taking it because you are on Yaz?

It's hard to see your medications history with your symptoms listed there as well. Would you take a moment to delete them from your signature?

i just saw on the net that taking vitamin B complex is beneficial to those suffering from  antidepressant withdrawal syndrome...im thinking of increasing my fish oil dosage.. at present im taking  1 to 2 caps of fish oil 1,200 mg  containing 360mg EPA/DHA per capsule...based from what i've read on the net some are taking fish oil with 2000mg of EPA/DHA im just thinking will it not lower my cholesterol too much or bring about some side effects especially if my cholesterol level is already within normal range?

• Moderator Emeritus

Some consider vitamin B complex for those with depression.  I've never seen it suggested during withdrawal from antidepressants.

Keep track of your symptoms. If you have any that indicate stimulation, e.g. anxiety, tingling, twitching, consider reducing/discontinuing vitamin B.

scallywag's Introduction

• 4 months later...

Is it still possible to  reinstate even if im 9 months off escitalopram already? took cymbalta for 3 yrs then 2 yrs of escitalopram the succeeding 2 years... i quit cold turkey unfortunately, 1 month off meds i consulted my doctor regarding my memory loss, anxiety episodes and other symptoms brought about by my sudden discontinuation of the drug but he insisted that i never go back to taking meds and do a lot of exercises instead. sticked with his advice and i tried as much as i can to improve my condition through exercising and avoiding caffeine and alcoholic beverages. few months after quitting the drugs i still get to experience alternate wave and windows episodes however this has been really a tough month for me... my window episodes became rare and my wave episodes went more severe... i asked my doctor last week and refused to reinstate or give me any medication to atleast lessen my withdrawal symptoms...im now considering second opinion from another doctor coz im leaving for work abroad in a few months and i have to restore or atleast improve my condition in order to be functional for work, coz my cognitive abilities and anxiety episodes are affecting my work at present...as much as i'd like to stay away from the drug completely, there are a lot of factors i have to consider...i've been really thinking about it for months...they say reinstatement only works when you're at most 3-4 months off meds...are there anyone there who successfully reinstated even if they're almost a year off the meds? thanks.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

• 2 years later...
On 11/12/2016 at 3:12 AM, frustratedgirl said:

Thanks for replying! at present i'm taking yaz birth control pills for severe Premenstrual syndrome...the main reason why i took SSRI in the first place...

did this help your PMDD? were you able to tolerate other birth controls, esp ones with synthetic progesterone?

Thanks!

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to frustratedgirl: any interventions?