Spruce30: asking for advice on PSSD

Spruce30

Thanks chessie cat. Do you have any advice about the windows and waves question i asked?

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

• Moderator Emeritus

You are experiencing improvement and that bodes well.  I believe that the more we stress over something the more it diverts the brain & CNS from doing what it needs to do to heal.  Stress puts the body into fight or flight mode and the response is the production of certain hormones.  If we then become anxious about what we are experiencing we then perpetuate the response.  Learning non-drug coping techniques can be very helpful, the idea being to provide the environment that the brain and CNS needs to heal:

1. Acceptance
  2. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  3. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  4. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  5. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  6. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons
  8. Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis
  9. Journalling - Therapeutic Writing & Health Benefits
  10. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms
  11. Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly)

These might help too:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

And from this topic:  What is Happening in Your Brain

"It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 

And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the buiding is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes. smiley.gif
(Now look at the new Tower that stands at Ground Zero!  It's taller, [...], and a symbol of freedom.  JUST like you will be!  thumbsup.gif)"

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you didn't like my information Spruce.

Such as powerlifting.

Powerlifting increases testosterone jancarol.

Well, yes.  But it seems to me - if this is true - that the hormone goes more to the muscles, and less to the libido.  At least in my experience.  Thank you Skeeter for pointing to the science.

What harm could it do to lighten your lifting practice to see if you get improvements?  

Johnson quoted some kundalini articles; perhaps I should clarify - the neighborhood "kundalini class" where you are pumping the energy through the chakras - is yet another form of powerlifting - yogic powerlifting - and I do not recommend this.  Awareness of seminal energy and moving it up through the spine through the chakras is not the same thing as pumping it up in a "kundalini class."

I'm not going to go into the esoterics of what I learned in yoga, other than to say that spilling the semen is nutritionally and energetically draining, and is poorly thought of, not only in yogic practices, but also in Taoist, Christian, Judaic, and Chi Gung practices as well.  This isn't a moral thing, it's a nutritional and energetic one.

Skeeter says:

Spruce, if you have any fear of Kubdalini yoga, then follow the top link given, by JanCarol which has very basic yoga poses, better yet take a class, as they will make sure you are being safe, just do not overdo it!!  Is supposed to increase blood flow to delicate areas!     

Actually, I do not recommend Kundalini yoga classes.  I do not recommend them to even my healthiest friends (though I do have healthy friends participating in them).  Kundalini is not to be approached until you are a master at Hatha, or physical yoga.  Start there.  Take all the Hatha Yoga classes:  asthanga, Power Yoga, Bikram, Iyengar, - take all the hatha yoga classes you want.  You will be amazed at the demands it makes upon your body.  I especially recommend for men:  Baron Baptiste Power Yoga.  It's a manly practice.

I am suggesting to you that the way to heal is to forget about sexuality.  I know that is difficult, especially for a young man.  But the best healer is time, and if you can throw yourself into other activities - take up competition in your martial art, learn a new art (I suggest yoga), feed your mind in other ways.

Focusing on your symptoms will only - focus on your symptoms.  

Focusing on excellence in your jiu jitsu or learning meditation, or working on ANY or ALL of those skills that Chessie posted - or whatever you choose, art, music, dance, self education.  Focus away from your genitals, and in time, time, time, they will come back to you and serve you.  Time is the healer, I am suggesting things which will heal the rest of your body, as well.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Yes i am concentrating on other areas of my life, especially judo / Brazilian jui jitsu and chess. It is only during a long wave that i start to fixate on my symptoms a bit. I feel this is understandable though. There is still so much uncertainty about whether i will actually heal. Its the thought of possibly never fully recovering or it being permanant that makes it difficult to ignore. I suppose after hearing of people who haven't healed after a decade, it makes me feel it might end up being permanant for me too. I dont think i could live out the rest of my life with no sex drive/ inability to orgasm. That really scares me.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

If you keep focusing on it and dwelling and stressing and getting depressed, how do you expect to recover? Pssd is psychosymatic to a degree. Try to forget about it

Well when your symptoms have got worse when you are in the middle of a long wave, its not easy to just "forget about it". I really dont think PSSD has much of a psychosomatic element. I strongly feel it is physical in nature

• Moderator Emeritus

Spruce,

In the moment, I agree that it is hard to forget about it. Dj was just trying to be helpful. Windows and Waves are different for everyone. I have heard so many people talk about getting just as strong waves or even stronger after a while off the meds. It is a non-linear healing process for sure! But what I HAVE heard others say is that the windows are that much brighter many times when the waves get stronger. They do tend to calm back down, BTW, it is just the process of our brains healing. I am glad to see that you are providing distractions for yourself! Sadly, it still sucks when the windows stretch out there.

Are you able to keep you regular schedule, even in a strong wave? For example, I missed so much when going through WD. On bad days I shy away from everything, but you seem to have a very full schedule. When in a wave, is there a certain time of day that it really hits you? Like when you get home after a day of being out, or do you struggle through every moment- even while in class or while working out? I like that you are doing chess. That takes brain power. I always wondered if doing brain building exercises such as chess helped the healing process.

It is very normal to worry if this is permanent and ruminate, but slowly or otherwise, people do heal. There are some that heal very slowly, true, but look at you, you are doing everything in your power to make sure you will heal. I strongly believe that everything you are doing will indeed help you reach healing faster than if you were not able to get up and stayed in bed all of the time because you were so ill. Some are so sick they have no other choice, but if you are able to be active, work with that, and by gosh you certainly are!! Remember, everything you are able to do in a wave proves that you are very strong, and different in some way, and maybe that will be the key for you! Others that have done everything possible physically and mentally seem to do a bit better, and are maybe mentally stronger as a result. We know you have physical strength, for sure!

Are you journaling on paper or computer your signs and symptoms from day to day and what you did that day to see if some things help more, and maybe others not so much? Maybe a pattern will emerge.

I hope you see a window soon!

Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Hi skeeter. Thanks for your post. It was very understanding.

I am currently going through a bit of a nightmare from some other symptoms unrelated to benzos or SSRI. I am having an allergic reaction to something in my house (possibly mold), which is causing symptoms such as vivid dreams, strong fatigue, hot and cold flushes, vivid images, respiratory problems, digestive problems, and a whole host of other symptoms. Its been going on for 8 months and is almost as probematic as withdrawing off the psychiatric drugs.

I know its a seperate issue as the symptoms are different to any benzo related symptoms i had, and they completely go when i have moved out temporarily to another address, and when i went travelling for 3 months.

In regards to my waves, i dont really get any physical symptoms from the benzos anymore, and i feel i have mostly healed, its just the sexual problems i have left (these are the symptoms i have windows and waves with). Unfortunatly the sexual problems were my most distressing symptom. I am not sure how much of my sexual issues are now caused by past use of SSRI (as i definitely had PSSD) or how much is caused by past use of benzos (which can also cause sexual problems).

I strongly know within myself that the sexual issues were caused by the medications and are not psychological. I had a strong sex drive before going on these medications. And the sexual problems started as soon as i took an SSRI (citalopram), and they seemed to be worsened by the benzos as well. I know my own body.

I try to keep a busy schedule with my hobbies, although still unemployed at the moment. The only times i cant function and keep my schedule is when those other horrible symptoms unrelated to psychiatric drugs flare up badly.

I keep a symptom journal in a notepad. I write down how long my waves and windows last, and how strong my improvements are etc, and if they change. They seem to have no real pattern, and as you said the process seems to be completely non linear and very illogical.

I did seem to notice a pattern for a good while though of waves lasting 6 days, and windows about 10 days, until i randomly had a wave that lasted almost 3 weeks, followed by a window that lasted about 2 weeks, so that pattern was broken.

One month my symptoms seem to be turning a corner and i feel complete recovery might be on the horizon, but then the next month my waves get stronger and longer, and the improvements in the windows are weak, and i feel like i am never going to heal, and i may be stuck like this permanently.

Almost like i am back to square one. Like my hopes are built up, and then repeatedly dashed.

I am not sure how much these other symptoms (unrelated to psychiatric drugs) are holding back my recovery, as when they flare up, i notice my improvements seem to lessen or vanish.

I am trying to get re housed, but have to be careful, as whatever was causing the allergic reaction followed me to a new place when i moved out temporarily once. I have also moved out temporarily to another place, and went travelling for 3 months, and these symptoms related to the allergic reaction, completely went.

It is quite a time of turmoil in my life at the moment (mostly for reasons unrelated to psychiatric drugs), and i dont really have all the answers to my problems yet. Just got to keep trying to put my best foot forward i guess.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Spruce - 

you are on page 2, and now I cannot remember what your drugs are or when you tapered or discontinued this or that.

Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature

Please use dates and doses for any changes in drugs, especially in the past 3 years.  It is a requirement of the forum, and not having a signature makes the mods (and others) scramble to try and figure out what is going on with you.

I'm sorry you are still struggling.  Have you had any windows, where you've felt better for a time?  Since you have quit?  If you are having any windows at all - that is the hope you must cling to.  Windows are glimpses into what your undrugged life will be like, moments of freedom, expansion, hopefulness - and it's the WIndows that assure you:  you will heal.

Waves are signs of healing, too - they are like major roadworks.  Stuff doesn't work because construction is going on.  Here's what I said somewhere else about roadworks:

I really like Bubble's phrase:  "Brain is closed down for repairs."  I'd like to expand on that a bit - parts of your brain are closed down.  Imagine very complicated road works with about 25 intersections coming together.  This week, the traffic lights are shut down, and you need a cop to manage the intersection.  When that is repaired, well, maybe they need to re-do the shoulders, so they can divert traffic onto them for later when the lanes are being repaired.  Then there's the repairing of the lanes - it doesn't all happen at once.  Sometimes they need to rip up the old tarmac, change all the drainage routes, relocate the services for electricity and plumbing, get down to the foundation, and re-grade it, lay new gravel, then steel rebar, pouring concrete foundation, then laying the asphalt.  Sometimes you will go for 5 months, and the road is still closed, but you can't see what they are doing to it!  Each phase requires time to set and dry.  Then you can paint the lines on it, and go to another part of the intersection - perhaps one of the other incoming roads needs the same treatment.  Perhaps there are exit ramps and roundabouts and flyover lanes that need repair.  Each of which takes time.

Now imagine the millions of networks in your brain healing - they don't just, "heal" and be done.  It's a construction process, like Bubble was saying.  Road works for the brain. 

Just my way of saying, be patient with yourself.  It might be the tarmac this week - but the lines aren't on the road and you're disoriented.  Maybe the signals are crossed at the intersections, or the signs are removed or there are detours.  Be gentle with yourself, be patient with yourself.  It's a complex process, and the gentler you are, the more easily you will heal.  It does no good to shake your fist and yell at the construction guys while they are doing their work!  So just wave (lol, wave!) at the worker, declare to yourself, "This is yet another symptom of withdrawal," and drive carefully past the obstacle.

Your allergy to mold may have developed as a sensitivity - due to "road works."  I cannot remember if your SSRI was one of the ones which also hits histamine receptors, but some of them do, and withdrawal from them makes for "inflamed histamine receptors."  Or - just the sensitivity induced by withdrawal means that you cannot abide certain smells, or foods, or sounds.   The sensitivity is not permanent - just an indicator that you are healing.

Here is a list of common withdrawal symptoms, and you will see that nearly all of your "allergic" type symptoms fit within the parameters of withdrawal.  Yet something else to wait, be patient and kind to yourself, and endure.  But at least you can look it up on this list, and determine that a symptom is "normal" (egads, this is "normal?") for withdrawal:

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal

A change of housing is often a good idea, please be gentle on yourself during the move - as pushing yourself too hard can bring on more symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon, and I hope you see the Sun today.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• 2 weeks later...

Jan carol-

I will get around to updating my signature soon.

Yes i do believe my sensitivities are due to past use of prescription drugs. Not SSRI's or benzos so much but dihydrocodeine. I was on dihydrocodeine for about 15 months a few years back, and suffered from protracted withdrawal for 10 months after i came off dihydrocodeine. I believe the recent symptoms i have suffered are from my neighbour smoking heroin downstairs. He is a known heroin addict, and regularly smokes it. I seem to be particularly sensitive to the second hand heroin smoke as i have been previously addicted to opiates.

It has been shown from studies by Florida University that you can actually become addicted to heroin via being regularly exposed to second hand heroin smoke, even if you aren't smoking heroin yourself, and you can also get withdrawal symptoms from heroin just through getting heroin into your body through second hand smoke or through third hand exposure from absorbing drug residue from surfaces through your skin (drug residue settles on lots of surfaces from the smoke). Look up the study if you like, just google second and third hand exposure to opium in the women and children of Aphganistan (might be worded slightly differently).

I am trying to get rehoused to get away from the heroin smoke. I thought mold might possibly be affecting me too, as some of my symptoms fitted with symptoms people experience from being exposed to mold.

I have noticed windows. They seem to be a lot less frequent recently (i believe possibly from being exposed to the heroin smoke). As i mentioned before i keep a windows/ waves diary, and whenever i get these other symptoms (from the heroin smoke) i notice my windows vanish for long peroids of time, or are a lot less frequent. When i went travelling for 3 months (and the symptoms from the heroin were completely absent) my windows were much more frequent and stronger. Progress has been very slow, and almost seems to be going backwards the last few months (since getting back from travelling, and being exposed to the heroin again).

Do you think being regularly exposed to heroin smoke will be holding back my healing a lot?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Hi skeeter. Thanks for your post. It was very understanding.

I am currently going through a bit of a nightmare from some other symptoms unrelated to benzos or SSRI. I am having an allergic reaction to something in my house (possibly mold), which is causing symptoms such as vivid dreams, strong fatigue, hot and cold flushes, vivid images, respiratory problems, digestive problems, and a whole host of other symptoms. Its been going on for 8 months and is almost as probematic as withdrawing off the psychiatric drugs.

I know its a seperate issue as the symptoms are different to any benzo related symptoms i had, and they completely go when i have moved out temporarily to another address, and when i went travelling for 3 months.

In regards to my waves, i dont really get any physical symptoms from the benzos anymore, and i feel i have mostly healed, its just the sexual problems i have left (these are the symptoms i have windows and waves with). Unfortunatly the sexual problems were my most distressing symptom. I am not sure how much of my sexual issues are now caused by past use of SSRI (as i definitely had PSSD) or how much is caused by past use of benzos (which can also cause sexual problems).

I strongly know within myself that the sexual issues were caused by the medications and are not psychological. I had a strong sex drive before going on these medications. And the sexual problems started as soon as i took an SSRI (citalopram), and they seemed to be worsened by the benzos as well. I know my own body.

I try to keep a busy schedule with my hobbies, although still unemployed at the moment. The only times i cant function and keep my schedule is when those other horrible symptoms unrelated to psychiatric drugs flare up badly.

I keep a symptom journal in a notepad. I write down how long my waves and windows last, and how strong my improvements are etc, and if they change. They seem to have no real pattern, and as you said the process seems to be completely non linear and very illogical.

I did seem to notice a pattern for a good while though of waves lasting 6 days, and windows about 10 days, until i randomly had a wave that lasted almost 3 weeks, followed by a window that lasted about 2 weeks, so that pattern was broken.

One month my symptoms seem to be turning a corner and i feel complete recovery might be on the horizon, but then the next month my waves get stronger and longer, and the improvements in the windows are weak, and i feel like i am never going to heal, and i may be stuck like this permanently.

Almost like i am back to square one. Like my hopes are built up, and then repeatedly dashed.

I am not sure how much these other symptoms (unrelated to psychiatric drugs) are holding back my recovery, as when they flare up, i notice my improvements seem to lessen or vanish.

I am trying to get re housed, but have to be careful, as whatever was causing the allergic reaction followed me to a new place when i moved out temporarily once. I have also moved out temporarily to another place, and went travelling for 3 months, and these symptoms related to the allergic reaction, completely went.

It is quite a time of turmoil in my life at the moment (mostly for reasons unrelated to psychiatric drugs), and i dont really have all the answers to my problems yet. Just got to keep trying to put my best foot forward i guess.

I think this is what we have in common ..............            I blamed all my issues on just withdrawals,  but now I am sorting out other issues,              one is a root canal tooth,   got it out,  yes infection being treated   (you dont know they infected, till you rip them out).            Other is testing for lyme disease.               Now, I think my major problem is mould,  sent off samples for testing.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spruce 30,

Now that you are off all the medication, appart from PSSD, what other WDS symptoms did you experience?

How long was it before you saw improvements in your symptoms?

Did you experience nightmares, Nightsweats, cortisol /andrenalin surges? Was your OCD better or worse? I hope that you don't mind me asking. Do you think that you are fully recovered, appart from the persistent PSSD issues that you are experiencing?

Wishing you all the best, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well when your symptoms have got worse when you are in the middle of a long wave, its not easy to just "forget about it". I really dont think PSSD has much of a psychosomatic element. I strongly feel it is physical in nature

As a sufferer of PSSD, I've been wondering about this.  I'm certain that there is some psychological element to it, but how much is unknown.  Having the physical reaction of salivating when seeing food is psychosomatic.

Drugs exert their effects in concert with "set" (present mental/neuro-physical condition) as well as "setting" (those events/situations around us).  This is true for all drugs.  Drinking a glass of wine alone in a burned out old building will have a different effect than drinking it at a party.

Furthermore, I've read of people making progress with PSSD through acupuncture.  The literature suggests that acupuncture is nothing more than the focusing of mental attention, and initiates a placebo response.  

I'm not trying to make light of your situation.  After all, I'm in the same place.  I don't have much hope either, rightly or wrongly.  Best of luck to you. 

various SSRI for years

20 mg Lyrica 2010

30 mg to 0 mg Prozac 2012

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 2012

Drop to 19 mg Prozac 2013

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 1 month later (2013)

Gradual decrease of Prozac dosage starting in late summer of 2015, currently at 11.2 mg/day

use of vitamin D3, fish oil, and magnesium at various times

• 1 month later...

Any successful pssd recoveries ? Anyone heal from soft glands syndrome?

Thanks

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Spruce - 

We're still waiting on your signature.  (it's been over 6 months now)

I know you had a strong drive before withdrawal - but - another thing the drugs do is numb out your relationships.  Sex drive is not the same as relating to someone, and upon withdrawal, your Self might want a more clear relationship before getting all sexy with it.  Physical sex is more complicated than just the organs, the brain is involved too.  Your post-withdrawal self might want something more mature than just sex.  So - there is a psychological / developmental component here, too.

The key in PSSD is leaving it completely alone.  No checking in, no tests, just leave it alone and develop other creative and physical interests.  Take up dancing, music, art, cooking.  Get good at jiu jitsu.

Think of it as a bank, and every time you test it - you are making a withdrawal.  That bank account is seriously depleted, and it will have to build up significantly before you can make ANY withdrawals.  Each withdrawal slows, delays, extends your time to heal.

Some of us have still seen improvements 8-10 years out.  The heroin smoke is more likely to be an irritant and might make your path harder - any success on getting a new housing situation? 

I just looked at your timeline, and you are still well within the "healing phase" of withdrawal.  In fact, without your signature I can't say for sure - but it still looks like "early days."  It may seem like forever to you - but in the realm of healing a delicate nervous system - there's still a ways to go.

It does get better.

• 4 months later...

I have had PSSD for a long time, but have been off all medication since May 2015 (when i finally came off benzos which also caused me some sexual side effects).  In this time since May 2015 i have seen small but gradual improvement in my PSSD, and in September i almost felt i was really starting to turn a corner with the PSSD, as i had some of my strongest improvements yet.

Then all of a sudden in early October i went into this massive wave, that has gone on for almost a month now. It makes no sense, as i record my windows and waves and the longest wave i had was 15 days, and usually my waves only last between 4-7 days. Why suddenly such a long and severe wave out of the blue?

I have no idea why i have had such a backward step, and it has got me depressed as it feels like i am not healing anymore, and i have gone back to square one. I am even starting to think i must have somehow have gotton an SSRI into my system in advertently.

Does anyone else have any experience with feeling they are making slow but steady progress over a year, only to feel they have been thrown back to square one? I am very worried about it

• Moderator Emeritus

I believe that when we stress about things it slows the brain's healing process because it diverts its attention from healing to deal with the stress.

The hardest thing is we can't see what healing is taking place, only how it makes us feel.  If we were able to look inside and see where things are healing it would make a big difference because then we would know why we feel that way.  Sometimes I feel "off" and it's not until I stop and think about it that I realise that I'm tired because I was awake early or during the night, or there is a noise that I have been unconsciously ignoring that eventually annoys me, or I might need to eat even though I don't feel hungry.  Once I realise the cause of me feeling off it's a light bulb moment of Oh of course, that's the reason and it makes sense. 

From What is Happening in Your Brain

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made."

Have you ever done a Rubik's cube?  I've used a YouTube video to help me solve it and you get to nearly having it solved and then all of a sudden you have to "undo" a lot of it just to move one or two final colours into place.  But if you keep going, after a few more twists and turns you end up with a completed cube.  That's why this has really helped me:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Ok, but arent people less likely to respond if you merge my new thread into an old one?

Chessie cat; thanks for the video, i did find it reassuring to watch.

Pedronofler; my erections are about the only sexual aspect that have greatly improved. They are mostly back to normal, although i still have some days when i struggle to get one. Libido, genital anaesthesia, and anorgasmia are still bad, but i have had weak windows with all those aspects of sexual functioning.

Jan carol; could you let me know how i go about making a signature? Thanks

I have just created signature. Just posting to test it out

• 4 months later...

@Spruce30

Hi,

I just gone through the pssd thread in Symptoms section where u mentioned that you feel everything is healed except PSSD... ?

I am too suffering PSSD .. and many other symptoms and actually I dont feel like myself and anhedonic.

What did you do to recover from withdrawal symptoms.. did anything specifically help ?

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

No did nothing specific. Just time. My PSSD hasn't healed, it has only slightly improved. My other lesser symptoms all went between month 16- 18 of being off. But the PSSD reemains

• 6 months later...

6 minutes ago, Spruce30 said:

Yeah I have to agree a lot with Zeippi and Johnny peters. On a good day I can be semi philosophical about it, but a lot of the time I feel so beaten down and filled with rage at the injustice of this PSSD, that I just can't feel positive about anything.

No one up for talking to some pharmacists or doctors surgeries about PSSD then?

Did you go through a heavy withdrawal Spruce?

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

I did a bit with the Benzodiazepines. Not so much the SSRI's.

It's just this PSSD won't budge, and has caused me many years of unhappiness.

• 4 months later...

hey Spruce,

Hows your pssd now?

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.

• 3 years later...

How you doing now man? 

Jan 2017 (17 years old) Prozac 10 mg : May 2018 rapid taper to 0mg : August 2018 low dose hydrocodone for 1 week- sept 2018: began taking the legal supplement Kratom (partial opiate agonist, serotonin receptor agonist, 5-HT2c blocker increasing dopemine and norepinephrine) for back pain : October 2018- reinstated 10 mg Prozac Jan 2019 upped to 20 mg prozac
August 2019: upped to 40 mg prozac 
Through 2020 Worked up to 25 gpd krat
September 2020: dropped Kratom dose by 10gpd
Sept 2020- Jan 2021: tapered krat to 7gpd
January 2021: switched to lexapro 10 mg
May 2021:  delayed withdrawal symptoms

May-January- tapered Krat to 0.8 mg, jumped in late Jan 

April 2022: drop lexapro and added 10 mg Prozac 

July 7: 15 mg Prozac