Lexaprouserover10: Lexapro tapering

Lexaprouserover10

I recently tapered down off 20 mg of Lexapro after 10+ years. I went on it when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Had I known that the withdrawal was going to be like this I never would have gone on it!

I work as a physical therapist assistant so I've had to take 2 weeks off. Insomnia, balance issues, heart racing, anxiety, zapping, shaking, lack of concentration just to name a few of the symptoms. I feel like I'm through the worst of it after 2 weeks. I was given xanex to help but I didn't want to replace one medication for another.

According to everything I've read this isn't "withdrawls", it's discontinuation syndrome. I felt like an addict the whole time. Sweat was pouring off me! Unfortunately, I also have a rare neurological condition called hemiplegic migraines that occurred throughout the last few weeks causing me to have to use a cane most of the time. I remain jittery but I can sleep and hopefully can return to work next week.

Shame on the medical and pharmaceutical industries for not giving people the information they need prior to taking these meds!

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks and tags
  • Moderator Emeritus

Lexaprouserover10 -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I've moved your post in Willpower's introduction topic to an introduction topic of your own.

Are you looking for assistance with your symptoms? If so, please post more about how you tapered from 20 mg over three months and please specify what your last dose of Lexapro was and when you it.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
Withdrawal is a term that medical professionals use solely for addictive substances. This choice is partly due to pharma manufacturers not wanting the public to be fully informed about what happens when people stop taking neuroactive (psychiatric) medications. Those who haven't gone through this experience have settled on the innocuous phrase, "discontinuation syndrome."

The symptoms are distressing and uncomfortable regardless of the name anyone wishes to give it.

What is SSRI withdrawal syndrome

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Again, please let us know if you are looking for assistance and information -- post your questions here in your introduction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Help! I just read about how long I should have been tapering. My doctor basically said to do it over a month. I got through the "wanting to rip my own skin off" phase. Can I expect the rest of my withdrawal symptoms to continue?

Lexapro is a hard drug to get off from.  I was on and off it for 9 years or so.  I tried to quit on few occasions.  I taped too fast I experiences brain zaps, dizziness, nausea, hot flashes, sweating, crying, anger over nothing for about 3 weeks after stopping.  I would be okay for a month or two following the initial withdrawal symptoms with some anxiety and dizziness but after 3 months that is when my protracted withdrawals would hit and I had no choice but to reinstate.  I would recommend doing a very slow taper and listening to the body.  You should feel better after the initial physical symptoms disappear (3 weeks or so), but there is a chance that you will experience other withdrawal symptoms months after you stopped.  This is all based on my own experience with this medication.  

Hope  you will feel better soon.  

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • Moderator Emeritus

Your withdrawal symptoms will continue and will, at some point, decrease in intensity then disappear.

The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

Please post a medication and withdrawal signature so that we provide you with helpful information.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet