SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marsupial: Am I too old to get psych drug free?

Marsupial

i tapered off Serequol s.l.o.w and it has been a complete success, I'm happy to say.
Was on only 50mg and did the 10% of current dose every four weeks thing.
After about five months, finally jumped at 6.75 and waited for the roof to fall in.
That was four weeks ago and guess what?! It didn't.

Also...I was pushing my luck by slow tapering Mirtazipine (starting at 60mg.) at the same time. But not the same day...did the two fortnight about. That's now down to 22.75 and no probs there so far either.

Now getting five day windows and the waves (Which come only after triggers like stress) are losing their punch.

Wishing you the same good fortune!

Edited by scallywag
moved from Sailor Mew's intro

June 2016: Diagnosed with first-ever depression at age 80 and hospitalised for seven days

Discharged (well...discharged self actually) with meds. 30mg Mirtazipene 50mg Serequol.

Mirtazipene dose raised to 45mg late August.

GP raised it again to 60mg less than a week later.

Had major surgery (shoulder replacement) September 21 and subsequently depression worse than ever.

Case worker added Effexor late September but I couldn't take the stuff...turned me into a log of wood and completely deadened any emotion. Took only two doses and quit. No way was I going to make myself feel like that. Basket case!

Case worker wanted to raise Mirtazipene to 75 but I didn't take the increased dose. Decided instead to taper off the lot.

Reduced Mirtazipene by 7.5 to 52.8 Nov. 8th and another 7.5 (to 45) Nov. 19th.

Reduced Serequol by 12.5 (To 35.5) Nov. 12.

So far so good...but on advice from scallywag will now reduce one med at a time and at four week intervals.

Serequol first...research suggest that Serequol is the nastiest.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to read that your cessation of Seroquel resulted in no major issues.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

No issues at all Scallywag, although I guess the jury is out until I'm also clear of the Mirtazipine, which at the rate I'm going, won't be until late June.

It's rather charitable of you not to get cranky with me re tapering two meds at once, as 'twas you advised against it.

I am however, sticking strictly to your 10% every four weeks with the Mirt taper.

Greetings from Australia (where Winter looms...)

June 2016: Diagnosed with first-ever depression at age 80 and hospitalised for seven days

Discharged (well...discharged self actually) with meds. 30mg Mirtazipene 50mg Serequol.

Mirtazipene dose raised to 45mg late August.

GP raised it again to 60mg less than a week later.

Had major surgery (shoulder replacement) September 21 and subsequently depression worse than ever.

Case worker added Effexor late September but I couldn't take the stuff...turned me into a log of wood and completely deadened any emotion. Took only two doses and quit. No way was I going to make myself feel like that. Basket case!

Case worker wanted to raise Mirtazipene to 75 but I didn't take the increased dose. Decided instead to taper off the lot.

Reduced Mirtazipene by 7.5 to 52.8 Nov. 8th and another 7.5 (to 45) Nov. 19th.

Reduced Serequol by 12.5 (To 35.5) Nov. 12.

So far so good...but on advice from scallywag will now reduce one med at a time and at four week intervals.

Serequol first...research suggest that Serequol is the nastiest.

• 1 month later...

Hey Marsupial, looks like you're doing great! So long Seroquel!

I've been doing well, too. All I have left is the chlonazepam and then the Cymbalta. I've ordered a scale so I can weigh my meds for a micro taper. I'm excited about working it!  I have a long way to go, and the chlon is going to take a long time because every tiny reduction makes me slightly crazy for a few days.  :wacko:

Well, take care, Mary

QUIT chlonazepam (Klonopin) 8/26/17. My dosage was less than 0.5; hard to measure exactly because I had been reducing by weight. My overall diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I'm 63 yrs old. Feeling great to be free of it!

MICRO TAPERED KLONOPIN BY WEIGHT: 5/26: .241 -- ?/?: .235 -- 7/10: .223 -- 7/24: .221 -- 7/29: .217 -- 8/1: 212 -- 8/6: .208

Switched: 8/13, reduced to 1/2 pill (a .5 pill), maintaining morning dose of weight .069. Kept micro tapering until 8/26/17.

CURURENTLY TAPERING BUSPAR: BUSPAR started in May 2017, currently: 2and1/3 15mg pill = 15+15+5= 35 mgs. Very helpful med. 11/9/17: 25 mgs. (1 and 1/3 15 mg pill)

PREVIOUS: In August 2016, after some stressful life changes, my Klonopin use went up to about 4.0. New dr jerked me down from 4.0 to 1 mg. I'm still suffering from that sudden extreme withdrawal. Plus I was put on and taken off of many other meds those first couple of months: Tizanadine, Remeron, Lexapro, Wellbutrin. A very difficult time in my life.  CURRENT: Cymbalta 60mg, maintaining. I use medical marijuana for pain as needed, usually at night. Don't take it during the day because it just makes me too dopey. I take probiotics.