Antidepressant Use Up 400% in Past Decade

Phil

According to this, 10% of the US population now take an antidepressant.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/9467-cdc-antidepressant-use-up-400-in-past-decade

Regardless, several other factors may have contributed to the increased use of antidepressant medications. Perhaps most important, major depression may have become more common. Also, several antidepressants have now been approved by the FDA to treat depressive and anxiety disorders. Furthermore, other factors include the improving public attitudes toward seeking mental health in general, the increasing rates of treatment in individuals with major depression, and the growing public acceptance of a biological cause of depression.

I am not sure I believe that "major depression" is becoming more common. I wonder how many of those diagnosed with so-called "major depression" got it after taking AD's for milder depression?

I certainly fit the symptoms of major depression but that is only after taking antidepressants.

Any problems I had prior to AD's could have been dealt with through therapy and other methods.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

I think the bombardment via advertising and the popular press promoting the message of safe, effective 'help' through Rx actually leads to an increase in 'major depression' diagnoses. This is a hypothesis based on my case. I think, though this may be changing, people who see a doctor for these issues want to get on meds. They want to be diagnosed with depression so this can happen...

I remember when I first went in for a psychological evaluation. I had heard messages through media how pills could cure my problems. In retrospect I believe I exaggerated a bit in describing my symptoms, like I mentioned my worst symptoms but didn't clarify that those symptoms were fairly rare and not representative of daily experience, b/c I wanted to really make certain the doc knew how miserable I was. I don't think this was totally conscious on my part and I wouldn't really say I was dishonest.

But, looking back, I definitely thought, jeez I feel miserable and everyone knows these safe, effective pills will cure me. I need to walk out of here with a Rx for the cure. The only thing standing between me and my cure is if the doc doesn't think I'm bad enough to need them.

Good lord, was I naive. I was also, in my defense, a child.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex,

""I think the bombardment via advertising and the popular press promoting the message of safe, effective 'help' through Rx actually leads to an increase in 'major depression' diagnoses. This is a hypothesis based on my case. I think, though this may be changing, people who see a doctor for these issues want to get on meds. They want to be diagnosed with depression so this can happen...""

I agree with you. Many psychiatrists claim that patients want these drugs and of course, most of them reinforce the message that they are safe.

""I remember when I first went in for a psychological evaluation. I had heard messages through media how pills could cure my problems. In retrospect I believe I exaggerated a bit in describing my symptoms, like I mentioned my worst symptoms but didn't clarify that those symptoms were fairly rare and not representative of daily experience, b/c I wanted to really make certain the doc knew how miserable I was. I don't think this was totally conscious on my part and I wouldn't really say I was dishonest. ""

I did something similar so the psychiatrist I saw would prescribe Ritalin. I cringe as I write this as this was what led to my many years of psych med hell.

""But, looking back, I definitely thought, jeez I feel miserable and everyone knows these safe, effective pills will cure me. I need to walk out of here with a Rx for the cure. The only thing standing between me and my cure is if the doc doesn't think I'm bad enough to need them.""

I had the same attitude. Ritalin was the cure to my lifetime problems with organization. If I had known what I was getting into, I would have realized being disorganized was the better alternative. Or I could have looked into alternative remedies.

""Good lord, was I naive. I was also, in my defense, a child.""

Well, I was an adult so I didn't have that excuse.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

alex, I also believe that's true. Also doctors can't tell major depression from their left elbow. They don't bother to even think about it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Having worked with psychiatrists back in the 90s, I THINK most of them saw that SSRIs had fewer obvious side effects than MAOIs and were safe from deadly food interactions. I've heard several times that MAOIs are far more effective. NOT advocating, but wondering if it's b/c they don't create the horrid 'imbalance' that targeted serotonergic drugs?

BTW, I passed a doc office in Nashville w sign out from 'Dr. ______, Psychiatrist...mind body medicine. WE CORRECT CHEMICAL IMBALANCES' I had to turn car around and get pics.

I was an adult, enmeshed in the system and paying now.

Just remembered that I talked to Gerald MAGUIRE, MD, head of UCIrvine Psych Residency Training, back in the summer prior to realizing I was experiencing protracted w/d. He was a friend years ago. Lilly tried to recruit me to sell Zyprexa when his wife left to have a baby. Anyway, Gerald wanted me to come in and be evaluated by team of Residents and himself as a teaching case. I didn't b/c I knew I did NOT want meds, had just gotten off Pristiq. Now I understand why I was feeling so off. I suppose it could be an opportunity, but feeling far too fragile at the moment.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

According to a knowledgeable psychiatrist I talked to, MAOIs are milder than new-generation antidepressants.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I believe that. I had that gut feeling for some time and debated w my doc about it. I theorized that SSRIs got TOO specific to 5HT when a 'safer' (in obvious interaction ways) compound was discovered and then it all got to be about serotonin, setting off the greatest chemical imbalance ever. And then tried to balance the mess.

Then I started reading Breggin, et al.

Does that psychiatrist venture any opinions or advice on our issues?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Yes, he says they're fairly frequent. He sees them all the time.

And...?? Does he use MAOIs rather than SSRIs? Someone must have recognized a need for the newer MAOI, is it EMSAM?

• Administrator

He avoids using SSRIs and has never prescribed Paxil. In general, he uses medications sparingly, at the lowest effective dosages, and for relatively short periods.

I don't recall which of the older antidepressants he prefers. He's very eclectic.

You mean he thinks for himself? ;-)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy