Squiggles; Possible Paxil withdrawal ... reinstatement?

squiggles

Hi all, 

I discovered this forum last night when I was desperately searching the web for answers. I decided, after reading a bunch, to reinstate my Paxil, but I wanted to do an actual intro and make sure this was the best choice. 

All of my history is in the signature, but I'll explain more of what is going on. About a week into the process of weaning off of Paxil (which was when I had finished weaning) I started feeling terrible. Occasionally I could smell cigarette smoke that nobody else could smell. I had nausea and bowel changes. I had a slight headache in the evenings, but nothing serious. I've had acid reflux before but it worsened. I ended up seeing my doctor for another reason and told her that I had been feeling that way for a week. She diagnosed me with an atypical migraine with an aura (the smell) and gave me Imitrex. I took it on two separate occasions and felt much worse each time and gave up on it.

I am at two weeks today of dealing with these symptoms and they have only worsened. I have nausea all the time, and riding in the car is much worse. Stomach/bowel issues are still there. Headaches are much worse and primarily on my forehead and the base of my skull. I have become sensitive to light. I see spots occasionally. I am on edge. I forget what I'm saying mid-sentence. I have this "whoosh" feeling in my brain when I move my head or even my eyes. After reading a lot, I think this might be the brain "buzz" or "zap" sensation, but I'm not positive. 

Last night in desperation I took 10 mg of Paxil and did it again today. So far I feel the same except for the whoosh sensation. If going back on the Paxil helps, then that's great, because I feel physically horrible. But then how do I get back off Paxil? What if my psychiatrist doesn't believe I need to wean any slower? At what point can I go ahead and try weaning off of the Wellbutrin? I actually suspected I was struggling with coming off the Paxil and mentioned it at my primary care doctor's appt but she brushed it off almost immediately. 

Any thoughts/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old and I'm a stay at home mom. I can hardly function feeling this way but I have trouble finding someone to come help me during the day. 

Suffer from major depressive disorder & anxiety.
Was on Zoloft and then Celexa briefly in 2013.  

Weaned off Celexa in late 2013. No problems.

Started 40 mg of Paxil summer 2014. Worked for about 1 year.

Nov 2015 temporarily switched to Cymbalta, felt horrible.

Switched back to 40 mg Paxil Jan 2016.

Aug 2016 lowered to 20 mg Paxil, added 250 mg Wellbutrin. 

Decided to wean off both w/ psychiatrist's help. Instructed to lower to 10 mg Paxil for one week, then no Paxil for one week. Then lower the Wellbutrin to 125 mg for a week and then off all meds after that. I began the process on 10/28/16 and got off the Paxil but started feeling horrible after the week of 10 mg and was totally off of it for ~2 weeks. 11/19/16 added 10 mg of Paxil back to my routine to try and remedy withdrawal symptoms.

Currently taking: 250 mg Wellbutrin and 10 mg Paxil.

• Moderator Emeritus

Squiggles -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA). Thank you for posting an introduction and your medication + withdrawal history in your signature.

Sorry to hear that you got hit with symptoms of withdrawal/discontinuation.  Hard as it may be to believe, it was probably a good thing the symptoms hit hard so quickly. It meant that you reinstated early on.

It may take some time for your symptoms to settle down after 2 weeks when you didn't take Paxil. A discussion topic at this link may be helpful:
How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing

Give yourself lots of time to stabilize on the 10 mg Paxil. After your symptoms have been stable for 2 weeks -- either completely gone or tolerable with no wild swings within a day or day-to-day -- consider tapering. To minimize the risk of triggering withdrawal symptoms, we suggest that people reduce the dose by no more than 10% no more often than once every 4 weeks. You can read more about that in the topics at these links:
Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Please read the topics I've linked. If you have questions, please come back here to your introduction to ask questions so that all your information stays in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 year later...

squiggles are you able to update us on your current situation.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• ChessieCat changed the title to Squiggles; Possible Paxil withdrawal ... reinstatement?