It isn't just psychiatry

compsports

In my sleep deprived and brain fog state, I read this medical journal article about how wonderful corti steroids are for nasal congestion and how they can greatly improve sleep. This caught my interest because I feel that nasal congestion is a big factor in my insomnia no matter what the root cause is.

Then at the end of the article in which the author discloses the conflict of interest, it mentions he has worked with several drug companies.

Is there any research left in which authors don't have conflict of interest?

Of course, stopping nasal sprays is definitely not comparable to stopping psych meds. But this galls me.

Here is the link:

http://www.thepcrj.org/journ/vol17/17_1_7_18.pdf

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

CS,

I think there's an undeniable selection bias. Docs who have conflicts are most likely the ones who have incentive to write journal articles. And time to write since they aren't seeing patients (for the most part).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy