SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

URGENT: Nightmarish Mental Health Bill About to be Passed in US, Please Take Action

UnfoldingSky

Well I can't follow all the details now but, for those interested, it looks like the US government has taken advantage of the holiday and are trying to push forward a new version of the Murphy Bill early this week, people on MIA are recommending those in opposition call their senators on MONDAY:

https://www.madinamerica.com/forums/topic/a-nightmare-bill-including-aot-funding-is-about-to-be-passed/

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Bumping, there is still time to call, the vote is WEDNESDAY, NOV. 30.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Finally, there is a blog on the front page of Mad in America about this...

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/11/warning-psychiatric-tsunami-upon-u-s/

Warning: A Psychiatric tsuNAMI is Upon U.S.

November 29, 2016

Well, our government is at it again.

It is not clear if this is the last stop, or where in the process we even are, but as best I can tell: happening any moment, Congressman Tim Murphy (R, Pennsylvania) will be making another speech at another hearing about the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act (H.R. 2646) which is now part of a new bill, H.R. 34.

H.R. 2646 was the controversial legislative package that did everything from increasing and sanctioning state-sponsored forced and court-ordered psychiatry to the re-organization of SAMHSA. There was not a group that went unscathed: babies, pregnant and lactating women, children, teens, adults, and veterans. The mixing of drug experimentation, programming, payments, delivery, tracking systems, prison systems, psychiatric systems, medical systems, educational systems—everything accounted for in 996 pages.

This new bill, introduced on the day after Thanksgiving, November 25, 2016 is part of a pattern of the government trying to slip controversial psychiatric policy through when no one is thought to be watching. We recently saw this with the FDA's shock treatment regulation for comment being released days before the new year and due the day after a celebrated holiday.

This bill, H.R. 34, the Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2015 [21st Century Cures Act] is the subject of a hearing at the Capitol, in H-313, tonight on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 5:00 PM. Among the most problematic issues this bill presents are multiple provisions for forced psychiatry not limited to IOC/AOT, ACT Teams, and Prison Psychiatry.

More at above link...

Unfortunately, this bill was passed by the House and will be voted on by the Senate.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/30/1605782/-Elizabeth-Warren-Asks-Democrats-Which-Side-Are-You-On-The-Answer-May-Disappoint-You

Just as an FYI, this blog entry doesn't say anything about the very repressive Murphy bill that got folded into this act.   But if this bill gets defeated for any reason, I am all for it.

By the way, even if the oppressive mental health legislation wasn't part of the bill, it is still horrible as it considerably weakens patient protections.  If you think the FDA is worthless now, you ain't seen nothing yet if this bill passes.

Please, please, please, call your Senators to oppose this bill.  I know from personal experience when you feel like cr-p, that even making a call is difficult.   But please find a way to do this.

Here is the contact information for all 50 Senators.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state

Thank you.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks compsports.  I was so hoping the bill would get tabled completely.  

I will do my best with calling and just post done when done.

(feeling like crap)

mmt

Later:  One senator called.  I got an assistant of course but he noted my zip code and request.    Will persist in getting through to the other.   So far I am just getting a busy signal when calling the 2nd guy........will persist as he lives in my town.

Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (feeling empowered)

(and I have to say it wasn't hard at all.  Talked to their assistants or phone people and they did take note and will pass on my concerns.  They were very nice.)

Thank you again compsports for posting here on this issue.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you too Unfolding sky for bringing this to our attention and posting here.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

No problem many.  It's good to see you guys turning up to do something about it too.  Thanks for the extra info too comp.

I just read that they are actually adding even more amendments to this, which could be making it that much worse. 

Bumping then for anyone who hasn't yet read this please have a look at this bill and if you wish to oppose it call your Senator tomorrow! 

Also Lauren Tenney has had a blog talk show tonight about this, which can be found here if you want to listen:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/talkwithtenney/2016/12/05/emergency-senate-vote-on-amendment-to-hr-34-is-near-ideas-for-legislators

On this show, Yvonne Smith, Lauren Tenney, and others will discuss things that you can talk about with your Senators AND Representatives concerning the scam of amending the Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2015 H.R. 34 as the 21st Century #CuresAct amendment, which includes awful versions of the Murphy Bills and multiple other bills that Senators are still attempting to amend before a vote. They are pushing this through and if you can believe, Senators are even still adding amendments.

Senate will take up the proposed amendments on Monday, December 5, 2016, or earlier.

According to MIA you can still call before 10am on TUES DEC. 6, they deal with it at 10am.