SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cruizer: sertraline / Zoloft nightmare

Cruizer

Hello all, long time reader first time poster.

Firstly I just wanted to say how awesome it is to have such a place to go and receive help for what can only be described as a nightmare that thousands of people seem to go through.

So here is my story which I will end with a few questions I have.

As you can see from my signature, I was placed on 50mg of Sertraline (Zoloft) in September 2009. This is when my life was turned upside down. I was originally placed on this drug because I visited my local doctor comlaining about some anxiety that I was getting after I drank alcohol. I must say that for a period of about 8 years I was a heavy binge drinker. I was a typical 18 year old who went out every weekend and got blind drunk with his mates.

This was obviously starting to take its toll on me once I hit 25 years of age and that is why I visited my doctor. Well I was in there for a total of about 10 minutes before he prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft telling me this would help with taking the edge off of my anxiety. I did what he suggested and this was the worst mistake of my life.

I returned to the doctor within 10 days of starting 50mg complaining of the worst symptoms (severe agitation, anxiety and now depression).

Unfortunatley I could not see the original doctor so I saw another doctor there at the time. He said I must need a higher dose and that 100mg was the normal dose he puts his patients on. He also prescribed valium to me (which I took a couple of times). The next 3 months of my life was like a horror film. I became suicidal with severe symptoms that I had never experienced before going on the drug.

I seem to settle after about 3 months, but it must be said I never was without symptoms, but they were less severe. Around 12 months after starting the drug, I began to get more severe symtoms. I returned to the doctor and he once again up'd my dosage to 150mg. The next 3 months were a nightmare again, severe agitation etc. For the next 6 years I floated between 100mg and 150mg.

I spent thousands of dollars on therapy to treat an apparent panic disorder; although I didn't mind the therapist, the information we went through just didn't seem to apply to me i.e. I wasn't thinking any of the ways he was suggesting was causing my symptoms. It wasn't until I started looking into more natural ways and researching antidepressants that I realised that maybe the drug could be the problem! Lightbulb moment!

I have read a lot of books from authors like Peter Breggin, Joseph Glenmullen, etc. which I am sure most of you have read. I also have been doing a lot of work with a nutritionist. I had a 23andme test done and found out a couple of interesting points.  

I have a COMT gene mutation which means I break down adrenaline and dopamine slower and I also have a mutation in another gene which I can't remember the name of which means I break down serotonin slower. What this actually suggests to me and my nutritionist agrees is that I may have been quite toxic with levels of serotonin which was causing serotonin syndrome. Alot of my symptoms were a mirror image of serotonin syndrome (agitation etc.). So as you can see from my signature, I began tapering in February 2016.

My problem now is that I seem to have hit a huge brick wall. I may have tapered a little fast and was hit with severe withdrawal symptoms which have not gone away. I have been holding at my current dose of 60mg for almost 4 months now. This past 4 months has been the worst 4 months of my life. It started with severe symptoms like pounding headaches, vomitting, insomnia, not being able to sit still (severe agitation) as well as some depression. It has progressed from there to now being just severe depression.

I am not depressed about anything in particular other than the way I feel. It is like I am completely numb with emotions aside from being really upset. I have no appetite and really struggle to get through each day. I am very fatigued and lack motivation to do the most basic of things. I am pushing through it as best I can still working fulltime and excercising a couple of times a week plus playing golf on the weekend. I must say that I have a great life. I love my job, I have a beautiful wife and young son (8 months) and honestly have everything to live for. It is just these horrendous symptoms are ruining it all.

So finally to my questions and looking for advice from some veterans on here. What should I do next? Should I continue to hold at 60mg until things get better, or should I continue at a 10% taper and see if things get worse or perhaps better? From previous drops, I seem to have a period of improvement on symptoms for about 2-4 weeks, and then it begins to decline until I drop again. I am not sure whether that means I should keep reducing or slow down. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all. :)

Edited by JanCarol
Added paragraph breaks, tags

Started Sertraline (Zoloft) September 2009. 50mg then to 100mg within a week. Floated between 150mg and 100mg for the next 6 years. 

February 2016 began tapering from 150mg

2017; 55mg-22mg; 2018; 22mg-19mg. Jan 2018 surgery on my knee and collarbone which seemed to cause a crash 3 weeks later. 12/02/18. Held for 6 months at 19mg. 12/08/18 19mg-18mg; 10/09/18 18mg-17mg; Held for another 7 months

17/04/19 began tapering at 0.5mg per 2 weeks and reached 4.5mg on 19/03/20; CRASHED after a heavy alcohol session in late Feb. Attempted to restart taper August 2020 by dropping to 4.25mg. Updosed back to 4.5mg after 3 days. 2nd attempt to restart 4 weeks later in September 2020 dropping to 4.25mg again this time updosing back to 4.5mg 4 days later. 

Last attempt to taper November 2021. 4.5mg to 4.4mg lasted 15 days then updosed back to 4.5mg due to severe apathy and cognitive issues

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Cruizer,

I'm so sorry for the mess that doctor got you into.  It sounds like you got yourself headed in the right direction with the reading you did, and then making some reductions.  There are moderators here with much more experience than myself, so I really just wanted to welcome you and assure you that 'someone will be with you shortly...' :)

You could start (if you haven't already) by reading Tips for Tapering Zoloft and Why Taper by 10%.  These will give you the basics, and then you can return to this thread to ask further questions and to discuss your situation.  This will be your journal for recording your tapering and healing progress. 

Fish oil and Magnesium are two supplements we recommend, as many of our members find them supportive during w/d. 

You have tapered faster than we suggest, which will explain some of your troubles now, but as you say the complicating issues are with the possible serotonin syndrome - which is where I'll let other mods step in.

From what I've seen here over the last year or so, you'll eventually have the knowledge and support you need to make a plan which will see you safely off Zoloft.  So hold tight.

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen, thanks for the welcome. I certainly have read the two links you posted. I found the zoloft withdrawal link interesting as I have a few genetic mutations on the liver enzymes which are used to metabolize zoloft. I am a member on the Livewello site which analyzes raw data from the 23andme test. It has indicated that I am a fast metabolizer of drugs such as Sertraline and that indicates I would need higher doses of these types of medications to be effective. I remember reading another post on here about the percentage of receptors that remain blocked are still very high (I think like 85%) until you get down to the smaller doses. That is why folks find that there is the "Ah Oh" point where they drop off very quickly when they get to the lower dose. I am thinking that this point could have come sooner for me as I am a faster metabolizer of this drug.

Either way I am still looking for advice from others on what I should do next. Hold on the 60mg (4 months so far) or continue to drop 10% even though I am having bad symptoms. To me it is a bit of a catch 22 as I am not sure whether the symptoms I am having are due to withdrawal so I should wait longer before droppong; or the symptoms are side effects of the drug and as indicated by my genetic profile I tend to break down serotonin slower, so therefore could be toxic and would do better by continuing to drop?? Advice is much appreciated.

Started Sertraline (Zoloft) September 2009. 50mg then to 100mg within a week. Floated between 150mg and 100mg for the next 6 years. 

2017; 55mg-22mg; 2018; 22mg-19mg. Jan 2018 surgery on my knee and collarbone which seemed to cause a crash 3 weeks later. 12/02/18. Held for 6 months at 19mg. 12/08/18 19mg-18mg; 10/09/18 18mg-17mg; Held for another 7 months

17/04/19 began tapering at 0.5mg per 2 weeks and reached 4.5mg on 19/03/20; CRASHED after a heavy alcohol session in late Feb. Attempted to restart taper August 2020 by dropping to 4.25mg. Updosed back to 4.5mg after 3 days. 2nd attempt to restart 4 weeks later in September 2020 dropping to 4.25mg again this time updosing back to 4.5mg 4 days later. 

Last attempt to taper November 2021. 4.5mg to 4.4mg lasted 15 days then updosed back to 4.5mg due to severe apathy and cognitive issues

• Moderator Emeritus

Cruizer, very often your symptom pattern can help discern whether your symptoms are adverse effects from the drug itself or are caused by a withdrawal/restoration process in your CNS (central nervous system). 

If you'd like some other eyes on your situation, please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). Post a few days worth of notes here in your introduction, either one day at a time or all at once. This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks Scallywag, I will keep a few days worth from now and post on here next week some time. I have kept a daily record of how my symptoms are since I began tapering. I rank my day from 0-4 (0 none, 1 mild, 2 moderate, 3 severe, 4 Very Severe). Although I haven't dropped for the past 3-4 months in dosage, my symptoms have been getting worse on average. Although I don't have any 4 very severe days, I am always between 2-3 which has never happened to me for such a long period before. Anyway as many eyes on my situation and advice is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am back after a couple of weeks of watching my daily symptoms pattern. I had a good week last week (mostly only mild symptoms) which was the first good patch I have had for about 4-6 weeks.

Summary of my days:

Waking between 6-8am (very dependent on my 8 month old sleep) Symptoms have been more mild around waking

Breakfast at around 8-830am.

Take my medication 60mg of Sertraline, 2 x probiotic, 2 x omega 3 fish oil tablets between 8-9am.

Symptoms are generally the worst from after breakfast until around lunch time, consisiting of mainly aggitation, irritation and mild nausea.

Lunch is normally between 12-1pm. Most of the time I am not hungry but force myself to eat.

Symptoms generally start to ease around 2-3pm to a mild range. Quite often a coffee can perk me up a bit by making me more focussed on work.

Generally go to the gym or for a run after work between 6-7pm. This generally gives me a lift in mood and energy. Appetite lifts a little after this too.

Eat dinner between 6-730pm depending on my 8 month old and gym.

Generally feel at my best at night.

Bed time between 10-11pm.

Unfortunately my sleep is certainly not the best at the moment as my 8 month old still sleeps in our room and wakes at least 3 times a night. My wife generally attends to him but it still disturbs me.

I have kept a daily record of how I am feeling (symptoms wise) since beginning to taper. I rate this from 0-4 (0 Nothing, 1 Mild, 2 Moderate, 3 Severe, 4 V Severe).

Since I crashed in August my monthly averages have looked like this:

August: 7 days of 0 (none); 3 days of 1 (Mild); 9 days of 2 (Moderate); 7 days of 3 (severe) 5 days of 4 (V Severe). Avg = 1.7

September: 0 days of 0 (none); 2 days of 1 (Mild); 9 days of 2 (Moderate); 7 days of 3 (severe) 5 days of 4 (V Severe). Avg = 2.2

October: 2 days of 0 (none); 8 days of 1 (Mild); 12 days of 2 (Moderate); 8 days of 3 (severe) 0 days of 4 (V Severe). Avg = 1.86

November: 0 days of 0 (none); 4 days of 1 (Mild); 15 days of 2 (Moderate); 12 days of 3 (severe) 0 days of 4 (V Severe). Avg = 2.33

December up to 14th: 0 days of 0 (none); 7 days of 1 (Mild); 5 days of 2 (Moderate); 2 days of 3 (severe) 0 days of 4 (V Severe). Avg = 1.65

So as you can see from the last 4 months since crashing and holding on 60mg, I have been very up and down. The first 2 months I had 10 very severe days over that time which included symptoms like: vomitting, severe aggitation, severe irritation, nausea, loss of weight, extreme headaches and just generally not being able to sit still to the point where I would have to go for a walk outside for hours on end. Also lots of crying bouts over just feeling so aweful.

Since September I have not had any "very severe" days but still similar symptoms just a little milder.

So after this long winded post..... What do I do next??? I think I have held for long enough and I plan to drop to 55mg on January 1st. I have certainly not stabilized in the 4 months on this dose even if the severity has lessoned slightly; so I am torn between whether this is the drug itself causing the symtoms or my body still trying to stabilize?????? Some advice from the veterans on here would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I had a very itchy and swollen eye the other day which the doctor said was an allergy. I have never had this before. They suggested an antihistamine which I took for 3 days and it went away. I took the last dose on Saturday just gone and I began to get symptoms on the Monday quite bad. Thoughts? 

thanks in advance for any comments. cheers!

So I was just reading about antihistamines and their reactions with SSRI medication. I was feeling quite well last week, but then took an antihistamine on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for a swollen eye. I felt a little sick on Sunday and then from Monday was hit with quite severe symptoms of severe aggitation, nausea and general restlessness. The information I have read on here and elsewhere suggests that Antihistamines act similar to SSRI in the blocking of receptors. If I got a bad reaction within 2-3 days of taking this, could this suggest a serotonin toxicity???

I have been holding my dose at 60mg of Sertraline for 4 months now waiting to "stabilize" but this has not happened for me. Is it possible I am still serotonin toxic?

• Administrator

Cruiser, it is possible the antihistamine somehow conflicted with the sertraline.

Is the symptom pattern (thank you for the detail) you described above before, during, or after taking the antihistamine? Since you stopped taking the antihistamine, has your symptom pattern changed?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The "summary of my days" I wrote a few posts ago was before i took the antihistamine. My symptoms worsened to severe all day and very aggitated 2 days after i stopped the antihistamine. I only took 3 antihistamine tablets over 3 days.

Is it common for waves and window pattern to last over 5 months whilst still on medication? I am still at 60mg which i have been at for 5 months and i am having a very bad time of it. I have no appetite and feel very nauscious. Also having bad anxiety. I plan to drop down to 55mg in jan to see if anything changes. I think i have held for long enough at this dose. Advice?

• Administrator

Take my medication 60mg of Sertraline, 2 x probiotic, 2 x omega 3 fish oil tablets between 8-9am.

Symptoms are generally the worst from after breakfast until around lunch time, consisiting of mainly aggitation, irritation and mild nausea.

Lunch is normally between 12-1pm. Most of the time I am not hungry but force myself to eat.

Symptoms generally start to ease around 2-3pm to a mild range. Quite often a coffee can perk me up a bit by making me more focussed on work.

It sounds like you are reacting to something you are taking in the morning. Suggest you move the fish oil later in the day -- it's better if you separate the times you take a capsule, rather than taking two together.

Suggest you take the probiotic with lunch. Why are you taking 2x probiotics, how long have you been taking them?

See if moving the fish oil and probiotic changes anything. Give it a few days. If no change, could be the sertraline.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

One was a probiotic one was a prebiotic.

I have pretty much stopped taking everything aside from sertraline and fish oil in the morning. The symptoms i am getting now are almost identical to when i went onto sertraline. Its like i am over stimulated, like ive been injected with adrenaline. These are typical symptoms i have always gotten on this medication. It just seems to be more consistent now since i landed at 60mg.

So if it is a problem with the sertraline should i start to taper again? Could it actually be bad reactions to sertraline rather than withdrawal?

So i have dropped down to 55mg today. Wish me luck. I will be monitoring my symptoms closely over the next month to identify whether i improve or get worse.

Hi Cruizer - apart from being put on these damn drugs in the first place, the thing that made me most furious when I camplained about them was the immediate response of GP and specialist - double the dose, take this as well!!!, which I see happened to you too. As a result I went CT, maybe not a good idea but better than their alternative.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 32 years, given AD for this condition alone in 2000

Zoloft 100mg for 15 years, last five of these complained about adverse effects,

unable to tolerate other meds even supplements

Slowly felt sicker, advised by different Dr maybe on ads for too long

Cut back 100 - 50 over 6 months, still getting worse, so stopped over about 6 weeks starting Dec 2014

First month, slow, emotional, useless then POW! Horrendous withdrawal symptoms, completely non-functional

for about five months, slowly started to come back to life and continue with waves and windows, still more bad than good, but bads are less bad, and goods slightly better each time

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Cruizer, 

I firmly agree with Alto, here, that you need to separate the fish oil from the sertraline, so we can see what you are reacting to.

It sounds like the sertraline, but withdrawals can continue bouncing you for months sometimes.

The genetic variation thing - I'm not a scientist - so - I'm at a loss to say what that means.  Normally a  fast metabolizer reacts less, not more, and that's how fast metabolizers get overdrugged.  But you may have a point that your "Uh-oh!" point may be at a higher dose than a "normal" (whatever that is) metabolizer.

IF that's the operant theory, it probably means you should slow down, as each subsequent taper will mean a greater drop in neurotransmitter occupancy.

How are you going from your 5 mg drop?

Have you been having any windows at all?

If someone goes for as long as 4-5 months without any windows, on a stable dose, I look to other stressors.

Work.  Relationships.  Alcohol.  Even diet & exercise.  

Some people (especially men) think that to push themselves through and train hard, will help make them better.  But you wouldn't play footy on a broken leg, would you?  Your brain is healing, and that requires a lot of energy.

Are you getting enough healthy fats?  Fish, avocados, nuts, coconut oil, all of these are brain food.

What are your regular practices for mood stabilization?  For example, I take a 10 min walk in the sun daily (difficult in this hot weather!), and do just 5 min of chi gung and tai chi.  That's the bare minimum.  I have a number of non-drug practices, like meditation, visualization, yoga, karate, and circuit training.  I try and eat fish 2x a week.  I eat lamb and roo, as that provides aminos which are good for the brain.  Some people like to feed their brain with organ meats - sometimes I will fry up some spicy chicken livers, and have them for breakfast.  

Sometimes I don't answer the phone, or carry my cellphone with me.  The cellphone interrupts our brain every few minutes - hampering thought, concentration, relationships, conversations, and even functioning.  

How many hours a day are you hooked up to media?  TV can slow your metabolism, and the messages, designed to create a consumer, are focused on your shortcomings and how this product or that service can improve your life - and it's not limited to commercials, either.

If your drugs are the same, and your life is still struggling, look to your environment, your patterns, your life.  It's a rough go - but we went on the drugs for a reason, and those reasons may still be hanging around.  But only you know what those are.

I'm sorry I don't have a clear path to helping you feel better - we are each an experiment of n=1.  What helps me may not help you, but I do know the way I approach what helps me is a process, and a healing one.  While healing, I recommend you follow your pleasure.  I'm not talking about gluttony or sex or alcohol - 

but I am talking about friendships, companionship, interests, hobbies.  If you are interested in collecting and cataloguing airline service pins, or maybe restoring cars is your passion, or perhaps you always wanted to cosplay or act in the theatre - pursue those passions, let them lead you into a new way of being with yourself, with others.  Meet up with others who share your interests, and follow your pleasure, your passion, where it leads.

If you don't know what your passions are (sometimes these are blunted after years on the drugs), then work on helping other people.  Volunteer for the red cross or an animal shelter.  Or - make it a goal to make one person smile each day (that's on my list of practices!).  The more you are helping others, the less you are engaged with your symptoms, the better you will feel.

I hope this helps, that you can find something here that speaks to you.  And I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey Cruizer, 

I firmly agree with Alto, here, that you need to separate the fish oil from the sertraline, so we can see what you are reacting to.

It sounds like the sertraline, but withdrawals can continue bouncing you for months sometimes.

The genetic variation thing - I'm not a scientist - so - I'm at a loss to say what that means.  Normally a  fast metabolizer reacts less, not more, and that's how fast metabolizers get overdrugged.  But you may have a point that your "Uh-oh!" point may be at a higher dose than a "normal" (whatever that is) metabolizer.

IF that's the operant theory, it probably means you should slow down, as each subsequent taper will mean a greater drop in neurotransmitter occupancy.

How are you going from your 5 mg drop?

Have you been having any windows at all?

If someone goes for as long as 4-5 months without any windows, on a stable dose, I look to other stressors.

Work.  Relationships.  Alcohol.  Even diet & exercise.  

Some people (especially men) think that to push themselves through and train hard, will help make them better.  But you wouldn't play footy on a broken leg, would you?  Your brain is healing, and that requires a lot of energy.

Are you getting enough healthy fats?  Fish, avocados, nuts, coconut oil, all of these are brain food.

What are your regular practices for mood stabilization?  For example, I take a 10 min walk in the sun daily (difficult in this hot weather!), and do just 5 min of chi gung and tai chi.  That's the bare minimum.  I have a number of non-drug practices, like meditation, visualization, yoga, karate, and circuit training.  I try and eat fish 2x a week.  I eat lamb and roo, as that provides aminos which are good for the brain.  Some people like to feed their brain with organ meats - sometimes I will fry up some spicy chicken livers, and have them for breakfast.  

Sometimes I don't answer the phone, or carry my cellphone with me.  The cellphone interrupts our brain every few minutes - hampering thought, concentration, relationships, conversations, and even functioning.  

How many hours a day are you hooked up to media?  TV can slow your metabolism, and the messages, designed to create a consumer, are focused on your shortcomings and how this product or that service can improve your life - and it's not limited to commercials, either.

If your drugs are the same, and your life is still struggling, look to your environment, your patterns, your life.  It's a rough go - but we went on the drugs for a reason, and those reasons may still be hanging around.  But only you know what those are.

I'm sorry I don't have a clear path to helping you feel better - we are each an experiment of n=1.  What helps me may not help you, but I do know the way I approach what helps me is a process, and a healing one.  While healing, I recommend you follow your pleasure.  I'm not talking about gluttony or sex or alcohol - 

but I am talking about friendships, companionship, interests, hobbies.  If you are interested in collecting and cataloguing airline service pins, or maybe restoring cars is your passion, or perhaps you always wanted to cosplay or act in the theatre - pursue those passions, let them lead you into a new way of being with yourself, with others.  Meet up with others who share your interests, and follow your pleasure, your passion, where it leads.

If you don't know what your passions are (sometimes these are blunted after years on the drugs), then work on helping other people.  Volunteer for the red cross or an animal shelter.  Or - make it a goal to make one person smile each day (that's on my list of practices!).  The more you are helping others, the less you are engaged with your symptoms, the better you will feel.

I hope this helps, that you can find something here that speaks to you.  And I hope you see the sun today.

Hi JanCarol, thanks for the message. In answer to your questions:

Yes I have had some windows of less severe symptoms but have only had 2 days of no symptoms for 3 months. Most days my symptoms vary from severe to mild.

This being said, I have tried a few supplements in the past 4 months from what my nutritionist suggested. These include: Fish oil, Magnesium, Probiotics, Charcoal for detoxing, zinc, b6 and Molybdeum. I have stopped all of this aside from the fish oil now. I also had 3 x antihistamine tablets over 3 days for a swollen eye which smashed me 3 days later.

My life is relatively stress free. I do have a 9.5 month old who is not sleeping well at night so my night sleeps have been all over the place for months. I would say that is the only real stress which I can't really do anything about.

So far the 5mg drop has just brought a bit of irritation and fatigue. Pretty flat actually. But no increase in aggitation or nausea. It has only been 3 days so far so will not know too much until another week or so I would think.

I meditate every now and then, but not every day. I really should try to. I excercise a few times a week mainly by going to the gym and doing weights. It is one of the only things that gives me a clear window after I have done it. I also go for runs as well. I play football normally but am thinking of quitting because the pre-season training might be too intense for me at this stage.

My diet is pretty healthy. I avoid any junk food and as much sugar as possible. Aside from a brief 2 week vegetarian diet my nutrionist trialled with me, I eat a fair bit of meat and proteins. I basically don't drink alcohol any more and if I do it is only ever 1 or 2 beers.

I lack motivation at the moment, I just don't feel like doing much which is probably a lot to do with my fatigue this seems to be causing. I still play golf once a week also which i enjoy most of the time.

I will monitor how this drop goes and reaccess from there. I plan to drop to 50mg after 30 days in this dose so that I don't have to get a compounding pharmacy to do it. One thing that worries me a little is that the compounding pharmacy may not be totally accurate. I seem to get a change in symptoms when I get another batch done up. Any way, thanks for the advice. I will keep you updated. All the best!

• Moderator Emeritus

Cruizer,

As per your request, I have read your thread ad commented.  This is meant to be in concert with what the other mods have stated. I am not sure I can add anything more important than the other mods have, but I have read through and asked some questions, and made some observations.

In your beginning post, below are the comments that really struck me.  I have bolded the parts I have questions/comments in, and replied/asked questions in red under each one for you to reply to.

I have a COMT gene mutation which means I break down adrenaline and dopamine slower and I also have a mutation in another gene which I can't remember the name of which means I break down serotonin slower. What this actually suggests to me and my nutritionist agrees is that I may have been quite toxic with levels of serotonin which was causing serotonin syndrome. A lot of my symptoms were a mirror image of serotonin syndrome (agitation etc.). So as you can see from my signature, I began tapering in February 2016.

1a.    Without looking up the signs and symptoms for Serotonin Syndrome (do NOT refresh your memory), when you feel you are having issues with SS, what are the signs and symptoms? You can add any signs and symptoms that may or may not be related to SS if you are not sure which ones are related.
1b  Does this happen on a constant basis, or does it come and go?  I have seen both happen, not a trick question! 
1c.  As the dose has come down (except for this hold, have the symptoms of SS improved or not?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        My problem now is that I seem to have hit a huge brick wall. I may have tapered a little fast and was hit with severe withdrawal symptoms which have not gone away. I have been holding at my current dose of 60mg for almost 4 months now. This past 4 months has been the worst 4 months of my life. It started with severe symptoms like pounding headaches, vomiting, insomnia, not being able to sit still (severe agitation) as well as some depression. It has progressed from there to now being just severe depression.

You did not hit this brick wall that was so severe until you held for 4 months "This past 4 months have been the worst in my life." Would you mind sharing your monthly scale monthly scale from 0-4 for the months before August, perchance?

What should I do next? Should I continue to hold at 60mg until things get better, or should I continue at a 10% taper and see if things get worse or perhaps better? From previous drops, I seem to have a period of improvement on symptoms for about 2-4 weeks, and then it begins to decline until I drop again.

I do not want to over simplify, but it looks as if you have answered your own question.  Yes, you do not feel GREAT when tapering, but you seem to be functional.  You have a period of improvement of 2-4 weeks after each taper.  it seems to me that you body does not like this medication, and holding only makes things worse.

I hope this has not raised more questions than it answered. I do not see any issue with the 10% every 4 weeks (like you just started to do). Your body seems to be reliable at telling you that 4 weeks is pretty safe for you to taper at 10%. Since you did have a hard time going ON this med, it seems that you will not have a totally smooth time coming off, but hopefully things will smooth out to a tolerable level by what you have learned by this hold.  This is why I want to see what your monthly averages looked like prior to the months you already provided to see if there is any difference.

Now the compounding pharmacy will tell you what the difference in percentage between batches, it can be a few percent from batch to batch from what I have heard. You may be sensitive to the fillers they use perhaps? it depends on a few things, one being if the batch from the manufacturer changes, the other variable being how the compounding pharmacy makes the pills. I would wonder more about how the compounding pharmacy uses fillers perhaps, as I stated. I suggest you speak to the compounding pharmacy regarding the differences you are noticing between batches and see what they say?  Perhaps ask if there is a different filler they can try if they use any? Please share with them the issues you have with metabolizing, because if they use any fillers, they might be able to choose one that is perhaps metabolized a different way? I am not schooled in that, so just throwing that out there, just in case.

I do agree with not playing football this year.  Note- during withdrawal, we tend not to totally be aware of how severe the injuries from exercise are. It may feel minor, but something is not right in the way the brain processes pain for some people.  So if you get injured or notice a nagging pain, please take it seriously, as it has the capability of going from something minor to something major seemingly overnight.  So if you get a minor injury, do yourself a favor and care for it as if it was more severe, rest it until you are pain free (if it is a leg, work on the arms and torso until you have  had a chance to heal, or you could be heading toward something major that WILL stop you from exercising for a while.  Just a warning to be gentle to yourself!

Please ask any questions you have, and let me know if I missed anything. 

Best Wishes,
Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Cruizer,

As per your request, I have read your thread ad commented.  This is meant to be in concert with what the other mods have stated. I am not sure I can add anything more important than the other mods have, but I have read through and asked some questions, and made some observations.

In your beginning post, below are the comments that really struck me.  I have bolded the parts I have questions/comments in, and replied/asked questions in red under each one for you to reply to.

I have a COMT gene mutation which means I break down adrenaline and dopamine slower and I also have a mutation in another gene which I can't remember the name of which means I break down serotonin slower. What this actually suggests to me and my nutritionist agrees is that I may have been quite toxic with levels of serotonin which was causing serotonin syndrome. A lot of my symptoms were a mirror image of serotonin syndrome (agitation etc.). So as you can see from my signature, I began tapering in February 2016.

1a.    Without looking up the signs and symptoms for Serotonin Syndrome (do NOT refresh your memory), when you feel you are having issues with SS, what are the signs and symptoms? You can add any signs and symptoms that may or may not be related to SS if you are not sure which ones are related.

When I first went on this medication, any time the dose is increased or if I have another substance that enhances serotonin (SamE at one stage) I had the following symptoms:

Severe severe Agitation; to the point that I would be thrashing around in bed or on the floor. It was like someone injected my with a huge hit of adrenaline. I would vomit frequently, nausea was horrendous, I would have a tension headache. I would have to pace the hallway for hours or move my legs continuously because I could not sit still. If it was at night I would have what I call "micro dreams" where I would be half asleep and dream about something completely random and then wake up in a startle when I realised it was not real. This would go for say 10 minutes at a time (per dream) and last for hours. After days like this I would generally start to feel quite fatigued and run down.

1b  Does this happen on a constant basis, or does it come and go?  I have seen both happen, not a trick question! 

These symptoms I mention above are the most common symptoms I get however the intensity greatly differs. I always feel quite aggitated and continue to move my legs even when sitting still but this is bareable. The severe symptoms are not.

1c.  As the dose has come down (except for this hold, have the symptoms of SS improved or not?

I would say yes. Even before I startered tapering in February, when I dropped from 150mg to 100mg I always felt better. When it was the other way I would get the above symptoms for weeks that were very severe. Before my hold at this dose I noticed improvements also.

My problem now is that I seem to have hit a huge brick wall. I may have tapered a little fast and was hit with severe withdrawal symptoms which have not gone away. I have been holding at my current dose of 60mg for almost 4 months now. This past 4 months has been the worst 4 months of my life. It started with severe symptoms like pounding headaches, vomiting, insomnia, not being able to sit still (severe agitation) as well as some depression. It has progressed from there to now being just severe depression.

You did not hit this brick wall that was so severe until you held for 4 months "This past 4 months have been the worst in my life." Would you mind sharing your monthly scale from 0-4 for the months before August, perchance?

Correct, I had a good 3 weeks before I hit this wall and I only increased because I had a swishy head and I thought that was a good sign of withdrawal.

Before August I had very little symtoms. On an average of 0-4 I was: July 0.33; June 0.8; May 1.15; April 0.33; March 0.03 (one day of 1 the rest zero). So as you can see much better.

What should I do next? Should I continue to hold at 60mg until things get better, or should I continue at a 10% taper and see if things get worse or perhaps better? From previous drops, I seem to have a period of improvement on symptoms for about 2-4 weeks, and then it begins to decline until I drop again.

I do not want to over simplify, but it looks as if you have answered your own question.  Yes, you do not feel GREAT when tapering, but you seem to be functional.  You have a period of improvement of 2-4 weeks after each taper.  it seems to me that you body does not like this medication, and holding only makes things worse.

I hope this has not raised more questions than it answered. I do not see any issue with the 10% every 4 weeks (like you just started to do). Your body seems to be reliable at telling you that 4 weeks is pretty safe for you to taper at 10%. Since you did have a hard time going ON this med, it seems that you will not have a totally smooth time coming off, but hopefully things will smooth out to a tolerable level by what you have learned by this hold.  This is why I want to see what your monthly averages looked like prior to the months you already provided to see if there is any difference.

Now the compounding pharmacy will tell you what the difference in percentage between batches, it can be a few percent from batch to batch from what I have heard. You may be sensitive to the fillers they use perhaps? it depends on a few things, one being if the batch from the manufacturer changes, the other variable being how the compounding pharmacy makes the pills. I would wonder more about how the compounding pharmacy uses fillers perhaps, as I stated. I suggest you speak to the compounding pharmacy regarding the differences you are noticing between batches and see what they say?  Perhaps ask if there is a different filler they can try if they use any? Please share with them the issues you have with metabolizing, because if they use any fillers, they might be able to choose one that is perhaps metabolized a different way? I am not schooled in that, so just throwing that out there, just in case.

I do agree with not playing football this year.  Note- during withdrawal, we tend not to totally be aware of how severe the injuries from exercise are. It may feel minor, but something is not right in the way the brain processes pain for some people.  So if you get injured or notice a nagging pain, please take it seriously, as it has the capability of going from something minor to something major seemingly overnight.  So if you get a minor injury, do yourself a favor and care for it as if it was more severe, rest it until you are pain free (if it is a leg, work on the arms and torso until you have  had a chance to heal, or you could be heading toward something major that WILL stop you from exercising for a while.  Just a warning to be gentle to yourself!

Please ask any questions you have, and let me know if I missed anything. 

Best Wishes,

Skeeter

Thank you very much Skeeter for looking into my case. I have answered your question in green above. I will be disappointed to have to give up football as I still enjoy it, but if I am causing more harm than good with the intensity of the aerobic excercise we do I will have to. I may opt to just train once a week and see how I go.

I am on my fourth day at 55mg (5mg drop). I have had an improvement in symptoms already where I had basically no symtoms yesterday. I took my son to the zoo for the first time. I am still reserving my judgement on this drop until a further few weeks. 

A theory I have and this is just a theory is that I am toxic with serotonin so when I drop (taper) I get relief for a period of time basically straight away. Then it is like my brain "readjusts" closer to where it should be (upregulating) and then I get to a level where the current dose is again too much.

Cheers

• Moderator Emeritus

Cruizer,

Had to change your neon green font, I could not read it, sorry!

Wow, you have had a heck of a time to say the least!! You find serotonin to be totally activating, you body does not like it for sure!

I am SO pleased that you felt well enough to take you son to the zoo!  How freeing that must have felt!!

Please decide on football with your own best judgement.  I do not want to be the reason you do not do it, but this IS the time to treat yourself well.  I only responded to your remark about possibly sitting out this season.  Perhaps some training, and practice with your mates so you get to play some without totally draining your energy?  My worry is that you have a young child at home, your loving wife, a job that you love, so that keeps you busy, and art of withdrawal tends to mean being easy on ourselves.  However, you feel BETTER when you taper, which is backwards from what I am used to!  Do what you think is best for you, okay?

I do not know about serotonin toxicity, but it does sound like your body and brain do NOT like this med one bit.  I hope you will feel better the lower you go.

Looking at your numbers average, do you know why you had a bump in your average in May that was much higher than the surrounding months?

I would try to stay at or close to the 10% mark for as close to 4 weeks as you can, as sometimes people who come off too fast can end up with some pretty nasty symptoms.  So as long as you can stay at the 10% taper rate and at about 4 weeks, you should be good.  Now when some people get to the lower doses perhaps around 5% left, maybe a little more, they find that they have to slow down.  You MUST listen to your body when you get to the lower doses.  No trying to muscle through it, as it can turn out to be vicious, but since your body does not deem to like the stuff at all, you may do just great!!

If you like, do not forget to talk to the compounding pharmacy about the fillers they use and whether your physical issues  could cause you to absorb the medicine faster or slower, or if there is something they could do to make the batches more even, or if something else could be causing your issues (using a different filler, perhaps?.

Best wishes!! SO VERY happy you are having a few good days!

Skeeter

Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Update from me. It is day 10 of my last drop from 60mg to 55mg. The first 5 days felt great. I had motivation, did heaps around my house, and generally felt better. Most days i was either mild or no symptoms. Day 6 or 7 i started getting a little irritated and had some bad headaches. Now today i have had to spend a lot of time in bed with a crushing headache. It is like someone is pressing on my brain. I can barely keep my head up off the pillow sometimes. I am hoping this is just my brain readjusting and this will pass shortly.

• Moderator Emeritus

It could be that dropping by 5mg was a bit too big a jump.  If it gets to the unbearable level you might want to consider updosing a small amount, 1mg might be enough.  You might also want to consider making smaller % dose drops from now on.

I was experiencing mild serotonin toxicity when on 100mg of Pristiq but as my dose got lower I started feeling much better.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have read a lot about accute withdrawal and what people refer to as PAWS or Post accute withdrawal. The following is a quote i found on this site.

"My guess is: The first phase of withdrawal, the acute phase, is the initial shock of withdrawal, with the most defined symptoms, such as brain zaps and nausea and possibly waves of unusually intense "depression" and "anxiety" -- actually, emotions generated by the neurological upset. Later, glutamatergic hyper-reactivity and autonomic instability take over. Often the autonomic instability causes wide hypersensitivity to drugs, supplements, and even foods."

My question and also some of my observation of my case is; does anyobe think it is possible or probable that someone can experience both at the same time? The reason i say this is because since my taper started and more so since my 5 month hold on a dose my symptoms have been different at different stages. Leading up to my last dosage reduction 10 days ago, my symptoms were mainly anxiety/aggitation and fatigue/flat along with apathy. In the last few days of this reduction my symptoms are more head orientated like crushing headaches and tension around temples etc. Is it possible or probable that as one tapers they can experience both accute and Paws?

• Moderator Emeritus

Cruizer,

Hey Cruizer!

Long time no chat!

The general consensus on PAWS is that is does not start until you are totally off of the medication.  I went to 3 random web sites, and they all confirmed this, plus found a post here n SA that has a few links as well.  I do not know if this will answer all of your questions, but it is a good place to start.  Pop up again if it does not answer everything, okay? I tend to overdo things physically if I have a good day.  Not saying AT ALL that this is what ended your window, as you may be that active all of the time, but boy do I pay for it when I feel great and overdo things.

Here is the link:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/509-protracted-withdrawal-or-paws-post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome-how-long-does-it-last/?p=200189

Best Wishes!

Skeeter

Bit of an update from me. It is day 17 of my last drop from 60-55mg. Some interesting results so far....

Overall if I was to ask myself whether I feel better or worse, I would say better. Some symptoms have gotten better (little to no aggitation, clammy hands have gone, Sleep is better). However some symptoms that have started to be more consistant is extreme fatigue and being flat most of the days. Also my short term memory over the past week has been the worst its been in a long time. The general brain fog is quite bad. I am hoping this is just temporary and will only last a short time.

I would rather these symptoms than the aggitation and crying spells I was getting, however extreme fatigue is still not nice.

Overall anxiety and depression has come down to an average of 1.3 a day which is better than the past 5 months by quite a bit. If my symptoms remain much the same or improve, I will be dropping to 50mg at the start of February.

• Moderator Emeritus

Cruizer,

I am sorry that the cog fog is SO severe.  Can you update your signature please?  You, as CC has said, might choose to hold a bit longer, not giving yourself a set time of the beginning of Feb- as your body is showing  warning signs with the severe cog fog and the severe fatigue that it is not happy.  I know, it is a complicated situation.  I ope the emotional flatness goes away, but it may be areason to hold until that starts to fade, which it might by the beginning of Feb.

I wish you luck!  Please let me know if I can help with any information.

Skeeter

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Cruizer,

I always check in as to members' iron levels.  My own extreme fatigue was easily fixed by taking an iron supplement.  It might be something to rule out.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Hi Karen, thanks for the tip. Last time I had my iron levels checked which was about a year ago, they were fine. I was at 14 and the range was 8-30.

I eat red meat approx. twice a week as well as plenty of leafy greens and veggies. If the fatigue remains for a while I may opt to get this checked again.

I read a little bit about withdrawal and fibromyalgia. I have lots of lower back pain as well as neck pain. I am very fatigued and I have also developed a tingle about half way up my back on the right side that comes and goes throughout the day which I have only noticed since I started tapering. My short term memory is also horrendous.

To be honest, it is better than the severe aggitation on the higher doses of Sertraline, and as long as this is relatively "normal" in withdrawal, then I will just live with it for the time being. If it is not normal however than I guess I need to keep digging.

I have already done so many different tests (Blood tests, genetic tests etc.) and tried so many different supplements that I am taking the "Less is more" stratedgy and just sticking to a healthy diet, fish oil and moderate excercise when I can manage (Gym weights and small runs of about 3km).

• Moderator Emeritus

Then you might like to read this also:  https://beyondmeds.com/2011/09/12/fibrobipolar-2/  It gives some insight into psych drugs and conditions such as fibromyalgia. 

To be honest, it is better than the severe aggitation on the higher doses of Sertraline, and as long as this is relatively "normal" in withdrawal, then I will just live with it for the time being. If it is not normal however than I guess I need to keep digging.

I have already done so many different tests (Blood tests, genetic tests etc.) and tried so many different supplements that I am taking the "Less is more" stratedgy and just sticking to a healthy diet, fish oil and moderate excercise when I can manage (Gym weights and small runs of about 3km).

I think this is really sensible.  Often it's all we can do, other than keeping our doses and reductions right. 

8 month hold.

Update from me. Today I made my next drop from 55mg to 50mg. I was on 55mg for 30 days.

The last 30 days on 55mg has had some interesting results. Overall my daily avg was 1.53 per day out of 4. This is my best month so far since I was hit back in August.

The first 2 weeks I felt pretty good only avg mild symptoms. My symptoms then changed to more head based symptoms for a week and a bit where I had significant brain fog and very bad short term memory with some headaches (pressure in the side of my head a bit further back than my temples).

The headaches have remained and come and go throughout the day, The last week I have been quite irritable and had some anger outbursts.

My avg in Nov was 2.33; Dec 2.2 and then after the drop was 1.53 through January. Interesting I thought.

I wanted to note that becuase I am not on 50mg I simply bought these from a normal chemist and not my normal compound pharmicist. Hopefully there is not much difference and this doesn't cause issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully there will be no issues, however sometimes a change in brand can cause trouble.  I think it depends on how sensitive you are to changes.  See how it goes Cruizer - there may be no problem at all.  And if there is, it may only be short-lived.

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

C,

I am PLEASED that you are doing so well. You knowing that you have a sweet spot of where you feel the best during a taper really seems to be working for you. How is training for football going? If you are doing it, it does not seem to be affecting you in any noticeable way. So I will happily say I was wrong about not playing this year if you are doing so well while training! At the time we spoke, you were not doing nearly as well, so that is where my fear came from. Never so pleased to be wrong!!

Good job!

Skeeter

Skeeter, i am not currently training for football as i really have not had the energy or motivation to go. I am still in the air about playing.

So far this drop to 50mg has been so so. Feeling a bit down the past few days and getting very irritated. Hopefully this passes without getting too much worse.

Hi Karen, thanks for the tip. Last time I had my iron levels checked which was about a year ago, they were fine. I was at 14 and the range was 8-30.

I eat red meat approx. twice a week as well as plenty of leafy greens and veggies. If the fatigue remains for a while I may opt to get this checked again.

I read a little bit about withdrawal and fibromyalgia. I have lots of lower back pain as well as neck pain. I am very fatigued and I have also developed a tingle about half way up my back on the right side that comes and goes throughout the day which I have only noticed since I started tapering. My short term memory is also horrendous.

HI Cruizer, 

I suffer from Fibromaylgia symptoms as well right now. I have definitely seen HUGE improvements with the emotional symptoms. I suffer with more of the physical stuff like pain in weird places that comes and goes, brain fog, fatigue(this one is super annoying to me because I used to have a ton of energy), blurry vision, burning skin. Ironically, people who are diagnosed with Fibro are prescribed anti-depressants. Go figure! I just keep hoping as time goes by that these symptoms will eventually fade away. My doctor said "well maybe you had fibro and now that you came off these drugs, all the symptoms are appearing." I don't think so....

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Cruizer,

Sorry about the training. I wish I was wrong. Remember, you may have to lower the percentage of your next taper a bit to see if that helps you. Maybe 4% instead of 5%, if that is what you did last time? It is all to see how you can best get through this.

Good luck!

Skeeter

Hi Skeeter. Im still dropping roughly 10% at a time. The irritability has mostly gone now but i had a really upset stomach for a few days which included nausea and diarrhea (sorry for detail). I foumd it hard to eat at night times. But anxiety and depression was minimal. It may have been because of the switch in brands of medication. Hopefully this eases in the next day or so.

Yes i am a little disappointed about training but that is a small part of it in the bigger picture. I do want to start going for runs again which i will look at tonight so i can get some fitness base back. Then may look at joining in a couple of trainings before trial games come around in 6 weeks. Cheers for everyones input so far. Good to see so much support on this site. I am hoping my experience will end well and i can give back bu helping others some day.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from me. It has been 14 days since my last drop. The first few days sucked with nausea and upset stomach including the runs. After about 4-5 days this passed and i regained my appetite for the first time in months. The past 8-10 days has been really good. I have had only mild symptoms and have seemed to have more energy and am a lot more focussed. I am not counting my chickens yet as i am aware this could just be a window, but its a nice change from the last 6 months. I am now wondering whether the change to compounding pharmacist may have given me the bad times for months on end. This drop i went back to normal sertraline 50mg tablets and i seem to be a lot more stable at this stage. I reckon i may look at cutting the 50mg tablets for my next drop if these good days keep up. All the best