SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

queenme - newbie seeking help to reduce Sertraline:)

queenme

Hello there!

Have browsed this site since discovering it and finally took the step of registering so I can get involved. Seems to be an incredible resource given the general medical worlds unhelpful position on withdrawal- thank you thank you!

Outline of my journey:

Sept 2010 10mg Citalopram.

April 2013 reduced to 7.5mg Citalopram with severe effects (withdrawal I believe although not recognised by medical world).

June 2013 back to 10mg Citalopram no improvement.

August 2013 switch to 50mg Sertraline with intense effects.

September 2013 emergency referral to psychiatrist (reached crisis point) resulting in increase to 75mg then 100mg Sertraline over few weeks. Massive improvement, felt better than ever for approx 1 year. Slowly depression/anxiety returned.

July 2015 attempt to increase to 125mg Sertraline, incredibily groogy and brain fog

September 2015 returned to 100mg Sertraline (new brand named Lupin) with immediate improvement.

Currently feel 'stuck' on 100mg Sertraline (Lupin Brand) due to potential of intense withdrawal though am wanting to slowly reduce dose to 75mg. I feel the Sertraline now adversely affects my energy/motivation and ability to actually feel my feelings, plus weight gain and sexual side effects, so really keen to gain knowledgable support to help me reduce the dosage wisely:)

Had numerous discussions with GP about how to do this (she is supportive within her limitations) - she doesn't think tablets can be cut to smaller doses (due to questioning whether the Sertaline is equally distributed within the tablet) and the specially made Sertraline Liquid available in England (as a 'special') numbs my mouth/throat for hours so didn't seem a long term option. No instructions on how to actually take it were given so I just took it neat from a measuring syringe. I think I read somewhere that sertraline hydrochloride itself is a local anesthetic, so that would explain it, but on calling the company that make the 'special' liquid the pharmacist was clueless.

So - I'm really interested in understanding how best to reduce. I understand the 10% thing, I'm not in a rush as soooo scared of effects. But I want my self back. For me it's more the question of do I:

A) Get decent scales and cut the tablet up - is the Sertaline equally distributed within the tablet? (I wouldn't want to chop the Sertraline off and be taking just filler!)

B -  Try taking the 'special' liquid another way to overcome the numbness (I wondered about adding it to ice cube sized cubes of jelly before setting but unsure about interaction/effect of fridge tempurature? I actually tried injecting it into dried fruit to no avail haha!)

C) Try some other way...

Looking forward to engaging with you wonderful people walking your own courageous paths xxx

Edited by scallywag
tags

Sept 2010 10mg Citalopram

April 2013 slow reduction to 7.5mg causing intense effects, felt physically disabled, restored back to 10mg with no improvement

August 2013 switch to 50mg Sertaline, not nice time at all

Sept 2013 emergency ref to psychiatrist, increased to 75 then 100mg Sertraline, felt great for a year or so once settled

July 2015 125mg Sertraline, grogy/brain fog so back to 100mg - new brand Lupin

Really want to slowly reduce but scared to given past experience!

• Moderator Emeritus

queenme -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've discovered what few doctors will admit -- they know very little, if anything, about how to help people get OFF these medications SAFELY. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Thank you for taking time to complete a signature that contains your medication and withdrawal history.  You've read other introductions closely. ;)

This topic is a quick read -- only 10 posts --and gives a quick overview of what's involved in a do-it-yourself taper:
Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know

You're up on 10% per month tapers.  I'll put the relevant links here for you anyway, just to be complete:
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

The first post of the Zoloft (sertraline) thread discusses how to taper it -- the different methods and specifics about that medication. For quick reference here are links to the tapering methods you've mentioned:
Using a digital scale to measure doses
Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules and Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

I hope that's helpful.  Have a look at the topics I've linked -- they're all on this site -- and come back here to your introduction to ask questions about your next steps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Thanks for your reply scallywag (what a great username!).

I've read through the links a few times and would really appreciate some help to explore/answer the questions I initially posted if possible regarding whether I:

A) Get decent scales and cut the tablet up - is the Sertaline equally distributed within the tablet? (I wouldn't want to chop the Sertraline off and be taking just filler!)

B -  Try taking the 'special' liquid another way to overcome the numbness (I wondered about adding it to ice cube sized cubes of jelly before setting but unsure about interaction/effect of fridge tempurature? I actually tried injecting it into dried fruit to no avail haha!)

C) Try some other way...

My sertraline 100mg tablets (film coated) are not scored and say 'do not crush or chew' - I want to be really clear on whether the active sertraline is equally distributed within the tablet, so I can be confident that by cutting/weighing accurately I would be reliably adjusting my dosage?? The tablet core is: calcium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous (E341), microcrystalline cellulose (E460), hydroxypropylcellulose (E463), sodium startch glycolate and magnesium stearate.

I'm also aware that the liquid option in the UK is different from the US (where many of you seem to be). In the UK it is a suspension in propylene glycol B.P, raspberry flavour and glycerol B.P. Does anyone have experience with using it or suggestions for avoiding the horrible burn/numbing?

Many thanks in advance xx

Sept 2010 10mg Citalopram

April 2013 slow reduction to 7.5mg causing intense effects, felt physically disabled, restored back to 10mg with no improvement

August 2013 switch to 50mg Sertaline, not nice time at all

Sept 2013 emergency ref to psychiatrist, increased to 75 then 100mg Sertraline, felt great for a year or so once settled

July 2015 125mg Sertraline, grogy/brain fog so back to 100mg - new brand Lupin

Really want to slowly reduce but scared to given past experience!

I just make my own suspension of the crushed drug in tap water and I don't have any problems with numbing/burning effects. I use a 1mg/1ml ratio of drug to water i.e. 50mg of Sertraline in 50mls of water. You could give it a try at least.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

The pill will have the drug evenly dispersed through it.

Many people cut, crush, and/or dissolve sertraline tablets. If you have concerns, you could ask your pharmacist or call the manufacturer's consumer information phone line. Your prescription probably (I don't know the UK regulations) has an abbreviation for the name of the manufacturer on the label or a unique drug number. You should be able to look up the manufacturer abbreviation and/or the drug number on the UK drug registry.

The commercially prepared liquid will have instructions about how to dose. The non-active ingredients may be different due to suppliers or regulations.

You can find other members who are taking sertraline by clicking on the label at the top of this page.  A quick look at the first post will usually tell you where someone is from. Location is below the username and avatar.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet