SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

brighteyes: niacin and green diet for schizophrenia

brighteyes

Hi there

I currently am forced a halperidol injection once a month so I can't start tapering off the meds yet.

But like everyone else I feel less than a shadow of the person I used to be before the meds.

I previously had 6 months off the meds cold turkey, however my emotions did not return at all, since then I have been captured by the 'mental health team' and forced on injections.

In six months time I am planning on pretending to go overseas so that I can move in to a new house and stop recieving my injection, however that means that they may list me a missing person and if I get found I will be put back into hospital and back on the meds. But it's worth a try.

In the mean time I am saving up to buy some niacin and other supplements that have been proven to cure schizophrenia (I still hear voices on antipsycotics) so I will be able to tell if the niacin works.

In the next week or so I will start the raw diet to see if it makes a difference to my emotional numbness and in the next three weeks I will start with ginko biloba.

When I have a job I will start on Niacin and a few other supplements which I will list that have been proven to cure schizophrenia.

Hopefully the green diet, ginko biloba , niacin and other supplements will produce some interesting results.

I hope you find this journey interesting and look forward to talking to you!

-Brighteyes

Edited by scallywag
tags

Risperidone (unknown dosage) April 2015 - Jan 2016

[Non compliant with the meds as much as possible suffered anhedonia]

Clopixol 14.3 mg a day June 2016- 26 November 2016

Halperidol 3.6 mg a day 26  November - Currently force treated by injection

4 jan 2017 added in 3g fish oil daily

9 feb 2017 increased fish oil to 4.5 g daily

21 feb 2017 added 500 mg ginko biloba a day

how do i edit my signature?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Welcome Brighteyes. Cold turkeying off psych drugs is generally not recommended here or anywhere else where they encourage coming off those nasty things. You probably damaged your nervous system! Unfortunately more drugs will not fix it. :( I have some unavoidable damage myself. My empathy is not too impaired, but when it comes to my own life I feel little. My sex drive is practically non-existent. Strangely enough I don't care. My sex drive has always been more of a curse and frustration than anything else. Some pet manual says neutering/spaying a cat is humane because it no longer suffers from cravings that can't be fulfilled. My "spaying" from SSRIs is a source of relief since I can quit dating and all that crap!

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Right now, however I have been taking:

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

brighteyes -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us. 

Compelled/forced drugging with injectable is a challenging situation for a taper.

You need to persuade the medical professionals who prescribe the dose that you're doing so well that a reduced dose is appropriate. This requires you to control your behaviour significantly, particularly at your meetings with legal and medical people overseeing your situation.

Withdrawal from neuro-psycho-active medications can cause loss of emotions or a narrowed range of emotion. The medical word for this is anhedonia. Other members post about their experience of anhedonia in the discussion topic at this link:
Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, and emotional numbness.

Creating a signature: Please summarize your medication and withdrawal history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly.

• Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9

About niacin: Niacin is a relatively inexpensive supplement in the US and Canada. Perhaps it's costly in NZ? A few members of this site have reported that taking niacin has reduced hallucinations. Here's one post about that in the discussion topic on Niacin:
Link to Vitamin B3 (niacin) topic.

With supplements, especially ones that are or may be neuro-psycho-active, it's best to add them one at a time and to start with a small amount, ¼ or ½ of what is recommended on the bottle, and increase slowly.

Please let us know how things go for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

RachelE I don't think I have a choice for whether I taper or cold turkey,I might be able to get a months worth of pills and try to make them last but thats it. I don't think I can convince them to lower my dose my behavioral history is too bad. That's lucky that you enjoy the side effects of your meds.

Hi Scallywag

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the post about niacin.

Niacin is not too expensive over here but I plan on buying it over the net any way it will just cost a little bit because there are quite a few supplements to get that work alongside it to make it most effective.

As for the tapering, I don't think I will ever be able to convince them to reduce my meds let alone taper off. My past behavior is too unsettled, plus they attribute any kid of behavioral change entirely to the meds.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

There are other members who have successfully persuaded doctors to reduce injectables  dosage and then to switch to self-administered oral neuroleptic medications. I hope they'll post in your thread.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

thanks, my history is pretty bad though and I have a red flag for non compliance with medication, they know i wont take my meds if I have to administer them myself

Hey Bright eyes

I just read your thread and it sounds like you have a good plan with the pretend trip.  I have had to break out of institutions that were doing horrible stuff to me with medications in the past.  Usually, I was broke so I got to be homeless or hide out in the woods for a while.  When you don't want there drugs, life starts to seem like the movie "the Fugitive", but hopefully maybe you can get away and let your body heal.  Halperidol, is particularly nasty.  I lost the ability to speak for a day and my lower jaw went into spasms and I lost control of my tongue when I was offered the pill in a psych ward one day back in 1995.

be somewhat careful about the Niacin, it can cause flushing where your skin becomes hot around your back and neck.  I took some a few months back.  I took a nap and when I awoke it felt like I had been laying out in the sun all day and had sunburn on my neck and shoulders, even though I was just in my bed.  it went away, but it wasn't a terribly pleasant sensation.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

brighteyes & PoetJester: If you want to minimize the niacin flush, drink 2 large glasses of cold water when the tingling of the flush starts on your scalp, or where ever you first feel the flush.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi poetjester (i like your name)

Your experience with haloperidol sounds horrible. I havn't had anything too bad so far, however it's only my first injection.

I was hiding in the woods at times too. 

I think the pretend trip is best though. I met another girl in the ward who did it and she was free of them for a year and a half. 

It will be good to have a home when going into withdrawl. So I'll just move to another house and not give them the address.

thanks for the niacin warning, I am going to start on a smallish dose of about 500mg and then push it up to 6g 

Thanks for the advice scalllywag

• Moderator Emeritus

500 mg of niacin is not a smallish dose to start -- You could get the "mother of all flushes" with that.  Try cutting the tablet in quarters, or at least in half.

scallywag's Introduction

i think they tablets come in 1000mg, so yeah i guess I'll have to quarter it

Today is my first day of the raw diet

(i will have to eat normally on Wednesday because my friend is taking me out for lunch)

I noticed a very slight volume decrease in the voices after I had my green smoothie, could just be my imagination but I don't think it is.

Will keep you up to date :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry I havn't posted in a while. I've been moving house so I havn't been able to try a raw diet.

I will be starting a raw diet in the next week or two provided I have enough money.

I just found out that Ginko Biloba is known to reduce the 'negative symptoms' of schizophrenia such as no emotions, so I have bought some 500mg tablets off the internet which I am waiting for in the mail, if I can have emotions again it'll be like a dream come true.

I aso thought that I could make a few changes to see if it cures my schizophrenia.

These are:

- a raw diet (Victoria Everrett claims to have cured her schizophrenia with a raw diet)

- eating fermented foods such as Sauerkraut to rebalance the gut flora

- alkalising the body

- getting rid of allergens as histamines have been shown to cause schizophrenia

- detoxing

- taking supplements for nutritional deficiencies and imbalances

I reckon once I have rebalanced my body and am living incredibly healthily that my schizophrenia will go away. I can't start the supplements straight away but I can do everything else. I'm going to try making sauerkraut today and see how it goes.

I  can't go off my meds yet but Will keep you updated with any changes that I notice after implementing these changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, 

just letting you (me) know that I have started on the raw diet. Unfortunately I was not able to be exclusively raw due to the cost. I didn't notice too much difference with the hallucinations buit I didn't really stick at it properly. 

Fortunately my 75g dose of haloperidol ( monthly) is not enough to completely take away my voices or emotions. I have actually been feeling guilt  and fear lately and I believe this is what is causing my schizophrenia.

I think that the extreme guilt I have is causing fears of being found out and judged (and other fears) and that my obsession with my guilt and fear is creating the hallucinations which I fear the most.

I also feel though that because of the medication my symptoms will not improve. I dont think that my symptoms will improve until I have faced the depth of my guilt, shame and fear and cried my eyes out or something. In a way at the moment it just feels if I am bottled up and I guess because I can barely feel the emotions nor cry to release them, I can't make peace with things and move on so the hallucinations continue.

I reckon counselling would be good for anyone else with schizophrenia or CBT, I guess it's just getting past the fears and shames that actually stop us from getting counselling.

Anyway good luck to anyone else feeling trapped, I hope you find a way to express your emotions and paranoias.

By the way there's a place in FInland that has a 65% rate of healing people of schizophrenia without drugs, they use cognitive behavioural therapy, Look it up! :)

I honestly don't feel like I can handle the lack of emotions anymore! I can barely stand existing and feeling so totally dead inside. Its like torture. Everyday I feel so close to quitting my studies and running away or killing myself. I want to destroy my ego but when I quiet my mind the lack of emotions is so much more obvious and hard to stand. I have to invent a huge ego just to distract myself from the hollowness, which then attracts more abusive voices, I can't stand these meds.

• 1 month later...

I have been vegan for two weeks now, I have heard minimal voices for the last month, which is weird because the medication hasn't worn off as usual. Not sure if it is because of the vegan diet or not. The voices spiked when I had a coke. As for other updates; I still haven't done the necessary tests for orthomolecular medicine, but am scheduled to see a nutritionist of some sort. Mentally I am really sick of not having emotions, it makes me really lazy and I am so sick of watching my life drift past my eyes without meaning. I used to travel and live my life to the fullest and I want to be passionate about life again. If I don't get off these meds I will die after a totally unloved life. I really hope I can cure my schizophrenia...

I just entered my realm of paranoid thought, usually it triggers voices without a doubt. But tonight it hasn't at all, which is really unusual. I wonder if my diet does have something to do with that....

So my diet, is not the thing reducing my hallucinations. (i don't think)

I had intensely loud voices last night and it was just after I'd eaten a salad of carrot, apple and coleslaw and some 'cheesy' beans.

The only thing I could think of would be the sugars in the carbs causing a spike.

But it's pretty unlikely cause I've been eating a lot of pasta and had no problems until last night.

I've just been reading about methylation in "How to quit without feeling ****". It is a process that balances your transmitters. And you need low homocystiene levels for this to work. Which is why Abram Hoffer recommending zinc, folate, and a whole lot of B vitamins. But my homocystiene is already average so my hallucinations aren't caused by under methylation. Still I wonder if megadoses of B vitamins would be enough to balance the dopamine in my brain. (hypothetically the problem that results in schizophrenia)...

Hmmm...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Brighteyes, be careful with the B vitamins, they can be too activating for some people. 

Have you seen the hearing voices network? Many people hear voices or see things that others don't and learn to live with them. 

https://www.hearing-voices.org/voices-visions/

Are you still having the injections?  Have you noticed whether the voices come before an injection is due, or just after? Maybe in between. It is good to keep a diary, or a chart so you can see if a pattern emerges. 

You mention guilt and fear here...

""Fortunately my 75g dose of haloperidol ( monthly) is not enough to completely take away my voices or emotions. I have actually been feeling guilt  and fear lately and I believe this is what is causing my schizophrenia.

I think that the extreme guilt I have is causing fears of being found out and judged (and other fears) and that my obsession with my guilt and fear is creating the hallucinations which I fear the most.""

We have a topic with people's experiences of this, often caused by the drugs. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11920-does-anyone-suffer-from-a-sort-of-intensified-impostor-syndrome/

Your mental health team might condider allowing you to switch to tablets if you are showing them that you are 'behaving' . Then we can help you to slowly taper off them. It takes patience and commitment though, and noit being patient would lead to withdrawal which psychiatrists will see as relaspe and back in the system. You seem to be taking good care of yourself which is a huge step in the right direction  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing alright, I just wanted to share that I am starting to feel emotions again :)

I am still on horrible haldol unfortunately, but I have been taking large doses of cocoa ( usually about 6 heaped teaspoons a day as a hot drink) and this is creating activity in my brain and my emotions are starting to flow again. I would definately reccomend it. The only downside is you have to get the balance right. Sometimes 6 teaspoons is too much and I feel crazy. But all in all I really appreciate my tiny taste of spirituality. 

In other news I plan to move on and Leave my hindrances behind, get into nature and stuff. I've also been reciting the heart sutra which is helping me to feel compassion again and giving me hope for beating the voices.

If anyone has any suggestions on surviving cold withdrawal it would also be appreciated, Im sorry I know it's not recommended but my options are unfortunately limited.

Anyway good luck with all of your healing, 

Namaste

Hi BrightEyes. Welcome to SA. You sound very positive and that's so good to hear. I'm glad that you are finding ideas that are helpful to you, although you may want to limit that cocoa a little as it's full of caffeine.

Thanks so much for doing your drug signature.

Have you done a cold turkey withdrawal, recently or planning to?

In your signature - do you mean that you have been on Haloperidol, since 26 November? Can you tell us a little more?

If you could give us a little more information on your story ~ it may help us to help you.

Again, welcome. This is your thread to ask questions, journal progress and keep in touch with the community.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi Ali :)

Thanks for the reply, 

I am pretty sure that I have been on haldol since November 2016... I'm not too sure though.

I've been in out of the psych ward for what was originally believed to be psychosis which was shortly after changed to paranoid schizophrenia.

I hear negative voices and believe in many conspiracy theories, but tend to be getting better at balancing myself through mantras and connecting with nature.

I realize that being around people who don't believe in me is making me really depressed and lazy so I hope to go to a retreat to detox, heal and garden to help me recover.

I plan on doing a cold t withdrawal as I don't have any other choice.

Thanks for your interest, do you mind sharing a little of your story? 

PS, cocoa is my saviour! But I am up past my bedtime :P

PS, I don't have the cocoa all in one go except for the first few months of taking cocoa..

Hi Brighteyes.

I'm not sure that I understand.

18 minutes ago, brighteyes said:

I plan on doing a cold t withdrawal as I don't have any other choice

Can you please elaborate? Do you mean you want to cold - turkey the Haloperidol?

We do understand and are here to help. A retreat to detox- even though it sounds good is not usually the answer to this particular problem. There is really not a lot that they can do to help you. You are much better off managing your own health.

I cold- turkeyed after about 20 years on and off of just about every antidepressant (before SA) because I was told that I had major depressive disorder and needed to be medicated for life. I first started on them when I was diagnosed with Post Natal Depression? I'm now 3.5 years down the track ... doing well, but it's been a difficult journey.

I wouldn't advise a cold - turkey as it's a world of pain. We recommend gently tapering by the 10% taper method.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

These links will help you understand a little more of the withdrawal and recovery process ~

Brain Remodelling

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery/

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi again, I also have been told I need to be medicated for life that's why I am choosing to could turkey withdraw from haldol.

The retreat is a centre for working for sustainability, I'll be able to help out and its one of my dreams. 

Good to hear you are doing well. :)

• 1 year later...

Hello @brighteyes Were you able to cure schizophrenia with raw diet?

Jan 2017 to Sept 2017 -Daxid.  100mg + Sizodon 1mg 

October 2017 to Dec 2017  -T.Serilift.   100 mg

January 2018 to March2018- Trinicalm plus 5mg + Zisper plus

April 2018 to May 2018- Trinicalm plus 5mg 

Aug 2018 to Nov 2018- Daxid 50mg + Sizodon 1mg

Stopped CT in Nov 2018

May 2019 to December 2019 -300 mg gabapentin and 2.5 mg Trinicalm plus tablet-ContainsTrifluoperazine (2.5 mg) + Trihexyphenidyl (1mg)

• ChessieCat changed the title to brighteyes: niacin and green diet for schizophrenia