tryingtosurvive: fluoxetine tapering

tryingtosurvive

fluoxetine since 10 years

doctor told me no worries to taper it of 40 mg to 0 in 4 months july last dose

end of august crasched in panicattack

until end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose

No one knew if it was worth it. tried 5 mg. and 10mg some week for one month

but just felt drugged and now trying to taper of this 5 mg to 2,5 mg and then quit! Iam desperate nothing makes me feel better! Need all advice I can get!!

Anxiousness ,shaking, crying, insomnia, tired,....  tried to take magnesium suppl. drink camomill tea , vitamin D suppl. what else can I do ??

Need to change work etc too so my life is really a mess!

Edited by scallywag
tags

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Tryingtosurvive and welcome to SA,

I have moved your post from the tapering section here where more people can see it. This will be your introductory post for future updates. Thank you also for putting your drug history in your signature.

Is fluoxetine the only drug you were taking?

The situation you describe and the way you feel is very common. Reducing the drug over 4 months is actually more than what doctors typically advise but it's still too fast as your situation shows. That's why we advise tapering 10 %  of your current dose.

But in your situation I would hold with tapering for quite some time, that is until you stabilise which might take a few months over which your symptoms should slowly subside in what we call windows and waves pattern of recovery.

When you have been of the drug for some time high doses become destabilising which happened to you. 

I'm not quite clear on when exactly you reinstated fluoxitene at 5 mg. Was it at the end of September? If that is the case, at that time you had been off the drug for 2 months. Has there been any change whatsover for better, however slight and occasional relief? Did your symptoms increase or stay the same?

I'm asking this questions to see whether 5 mg was too much for you at that time. The longer you wait the more it takes for the reinstatement to work and sometimes it doesn't work. Check this thread to get some insight into what was happening to you then: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

When we throw our brains off the cliff by too quick discontinuation all bets are off. But giving your brain enough time to regrow and rewire helps but it takes time. 

If I were you I would hold unless the reinstatement is making you feel considerably worse which it seems to me is not the case. In any case I wouldn't taper now especially not by 50 %. Here is our thread on tapering fluoxetine: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

and the importance of 10% reductions: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

But I repeat, now is not the time. 10 years is quite a long time and 40 mg is quite a long dose so it will take time but you will make it. You came to a great place to do so. Have you ever taken some other drugs?

I'm sorry that you have to change the job now when you need a lot of rest and treating your brain as gently as possible.

be careful with supplements because they mostly adversely affect us when we are in withdrawal. The ones you mention are safe. You might want to consider trying out omega 3 which people find safe. Check these 2 threads: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/ and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/. 

We will be able to give more suggestions once you answer the questions I made.

Once again welcome. You will find a lot of friendly support here.

Bubble 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi thanks for reply please answer this ASAP if you can here are answer to your question : yes Fluoxetine has been the only drug for most years ( tried one year to switch to efexor for some months due to a tips from an aqintance but that months with efexor just made me gain weight. and then I know that they tried zyorexa and other **** when I ws a teenager with anorexia 15 years ago but just for months..)

yes I went back to 5 mg end of september - havent understood how important it is to hold a solid dose so when I still was feeling all this anxiousness and other things I tried to go up to 10 mg again (doctors advice) but the feeling I got then was really a drugged feeling like a heavy helmlet over my head and not able to be in the moment so numbed out!!!.

I am really afraid what to do now!!!:S  ; yesterday I took aproximately 2,5 mg. ... The anxiousness and the restless feeling in the body is making me crazy!!!!!! really!!!!

To stabilize on 2,5 - could that help and how long should I try before I know the answer to this is it  4 days ??

I don't think I have been taking 5 mg. exactely for some days now since I feared that was what made me so anxious but if I understand u right it is the alternations in the drug that can cause this horrible anxioussness and shaking etc ? Have I understood you right then ?

So today shoul I start to take approximately 5 mg fro the 20 mg pill again or should I try to stabilize on 2,5 mg ? ( not sure how much I have been taking the last days but it has been less then 5 mg for sure..)

The liquid is really expensive ! "fontex" ...and I am again afraid that it will make the anxiousness worse!! this anxiousness and shaking nervous feeling in my body is really what I need to get rid of / decrease most imidiately ...how do you suggest I do that from now on ?

5mg or 2,5mg and for how long ? ( and then if I get stable... buy the liquid and decrease 10%...)

Please gratefull to your reply ASAP!!

Also started to comforteat alot again :////

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

become all drugged directly after taking 2,5 mg :(( maybe can it be that the low dose is just enoying the system ??

what do you think ?

gratefull to advice asaP

now I took 2,5 mg today feel anxiousness that just wants me to crawl out of my own body!!! Should I stil take 2,5 for some days ? Should I ask for something calming ?

How do you cope with this ???+ What do you do breathe and then what ???

can you be around people? can you work ? force yourself against the anxiousness ?? what do you do ??

• Moderator Emeritus

you are right:changes in the dosing is always a very bad idea and especially when your brain has become desensitised with withdrawal.

It is very important that you take the same dose at the same time every day. Only in that way you can provide a stable environment for your brain to heal over time. It will take time, as if you broke a bone. Any attempts to rush healing will only make it worse. The same as with the broken bone:put it into a plaster cast and wait treating it very gently.

From all your experiments it seems to me that 5 mg is the dose you should stabilise on. More is not better her as your doctor seems to think and your brain disagreed with it pretty clearly.It is very important to be precise in dosing. If buying liquid is too expensive, make your own liquid. There are instructions on how to do it in the links I provided. it's not complicated at all. All you need is let's say a 5ml syringe. If you are not clear on how to do it, just ask. But try to read the thread I gave you first. I delayed a walk on my free Saturday to write this reply for you;)

changing doses is obviously aggravating your symptoms and increasing anxiety. Anxiety is a way in which your brain is telling you it doesn't like what you are doing to it. It is as if you took your broken leg out of a plaster cast every day and shook it. You wouldn't do that. So it's very important to treat your brain in the same way: exactly 5 mg every day at the same time and lots of rest, avoiding stress and treating yourself as gently as possible. Taking magnesium will help with anxiety and fish oil will also help.

But the first task is to find a way of getting at exactly 5 mg. We don't expect a broken bone to heal in a matter of days. Don't expect that from your brain either. Think about weeks and months. It won't be always as bad as this. Gradually the symptoms will subside, then come back, then go away again. The key to recovery is not to respond to the healing process by changing the dosage. It's not a dose that heals but stability over time.

We have picked 5mg and will stick with it for as long as your brain says so.

Off to my walk now;)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi tryingtosurvive,

I was writing a reply the same time as Bubble :) and have the same conclusion,  it sounds like your constantly changing dose, since you reinstated in September, is making your symptoms worse.

... the nervous system does best in a stable environment. Help your nervous system adapt to life without drugs by maintaining as much stability as you can. This is the way you can take care of yourself and help your nervous system to recover.

Please see:  Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable

Also, please read through this information about reinstatement which will explain how it can work and what to expect:

http://survivinganti...rawal-symptoms/

By taking the same dose every day for several months, it will help your nervous system to settle down, but don't expect to feel better right away, it may take several weeks before you see some improvement.

Please carefully read through the links which have been provided, ask questions if you don't understand something.  I hope you start to feel better soon.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

but Bubble: why 5 mg and not 2,5 mg ? I took 2,5 today and yesterday why go back to 5 mg ?

Scared it will make anxiouness worse again ... :SSS should I take additional 2,5 today then ?

or wait untill tomorrow and take 5 mg ...  ?? that will mean a change again ://///

• Moderator Emeritus

This is because you have been on 5 mg since the end of September and as far as I could understand from what you wrote (hence the importance of clear, concise and dated drug history), you were on 2.5 mg for a day or 2. In addition 2.5 mg is a 50 % cut on 5 mg (as opposed to recommend 10 % and in the situation where you are nowhere near ready to be making any cuts. Going to 2.5 clearly exacerbated your symptoms and I'm afraid the worse is yet to come because our CNS is like a structure that takes a bit of time before collapsing.

That's the main rationale behind my suggestion. The other thing is that your initial dose was 40 mg for 10 years. But the main reason is that going to 2.5 from 5 mg is a very big cut. At low doses it is particularly important to go slow and cutting too much then has worse consequences than doing so at higher doses. Look at the charts on this thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/. just scroll down till you see them.

No need to take another 2.5 mg today. Given all the changes you did over the past month one more day won't make much of a difference. Just start with 5 mg tomorrow and make sure you get at 5 mg dose precisely.

I believe you will start feeling better soon. this is just temporary.From now on you will treat your brain better and it will reward you very soon with at least a slight relief. There are no quick fixes so we have to be very patient. 

Am I becoming crazy ? Maybe I need the meds ? Maybe the panicattacks and the anxiousness is me ??? I try 5 mg now since a few days again after 2,5 for some days but seriously the anxiousness and panic attacks I didn't have during medication 40 mg for all this years... maybe I need meds ??? icon_sad.gif((((( Is there anyone who have come of fluoxetine after many years and are without anxiousness/ panicattacks ?

My boyfriend doesn't know what to do and there is so much in my life not working now .... work, relationship living etc.... all of this I need to change and all I have is panic attacks I want to run away from things and feel very scared all the time need someone to hold me ... And also feel like eating all the time icon_sad.gif(( and I got hormonal reaction with lots of pimples icon_sad.gif((
I know I got advices from some of you here,.. but please someone with experience from flouxetine (prozac) help me!! should I try some benzo ? or should I just stay on 5 mg and hope it will calm down by it self if my brain gets this very small amount but same dose for some time ? OR maybe it is the meds that makes me go all anxious ??
advices please! Thank you and sorry for being desperate wouldn't write like this if I wasn't really!
//A

_____

Need your help ASAP !

I am going crazy with this anxiousness even considering if I might be in need of medication ??? taking 5 mg now like some of you told me but the anxiousness and panic attacks keep coming in waves during the day! Maybe its the fluoxteine that makes me crazy ???Maybe this low dose just makes things worse ??

Or can it still be that I took different doses between 2,5-10mg for a month and now since trying to stabilze on 5 mg since some days it is still reactionh of my CNS from differences in doses ?

How long should I stay on 5 mg to see if it gets better ??

anyone know any good anxiousness dealing metods ?

And please do any of you know any doctors in Sweden , or very close that knows withdrawal ??

Kindest regards,

//Anna

• Moderator Emeritus

I have moved your post from the tapering section into your therad so that we can have all the information about you in one place.

You already are taking medication. Yes, taking different doses for 1 month destabilised your CNS. As far as I can see your symptoms did diminish and are now coming in waves as you say. This is actualyl a normal pattern of recovery. 

Please read through this thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Your CNS is now like a broken bone. It will take tiem and stability to heal. The symptoms will diminish gradually. How long it will take to feel a significant relief depends on many factors but we are talking about weeks and not days. 

Here is the thread with many useful tips on how to manage withdrawal symptoms including anxiety: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

Magnesium helps with anxiety a lot: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello--

I know that anxiety and nervousness can be scary, I think most people here understand because we have experienced psych med withdrawal and how bad it is. There is really nothing to compare to it. I understand that need, that urgent wish to fix it, to do something.  Unfortunately there is no straightforward easy way to fix things quickly.

As Bubble and Petu have said, right now the thing to do is to get on the same dose at the same time every day, and then wait out the time it will take for you to stabilize. 

I think the best next step for you right now is to learn how to make the liquid solution, or else get a scale and learn how to dry cut, so that you can get a really accurate 5 mg, not just an approximation by cutting a pill. It's important to get your doses controlled and consistent. Your nervous system needs that stability.

I also recommend reading through the information in this forum, all the topics "pinned" and other helpful stuff. It sounds like you are already doing that.

Welcome to the forum. Hang in there. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you gold star! So you mean I should stay on the 5 mg untill the waves of  severe panic attacks and anxiety ease? ? And then after that think about taper down ? (there will acctually be an "after that" ?)

For magnesium ... I take one pill of 120 mg a day... how much is helping ? And since it is a calucium blocker does that mean its bad to eat calcium for anxiety ?

again grateful to your replies!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, exactly, stay on the 5 mg for now until the waves settle down. It can take a few weeks or months. There will be an "after" and then you can taper down very slowly. You will probably need to go very slowly, given the history that you have.

Do a Google search "surviving antidepressants magnesium" and you should be able to find lots of information about that. I am not an expert about supplements. But there are many pages of information about magnesium here.

Also, when you get the chance, I highly recommend reading the book Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. I think it has been translated into many languages, so although your English is very very good, you probably have the option of reading it in your first language as well.

(For searching the forum, the Search box at the top doesn't work as well as just going to Google and using their search function. Type in "surviving antidepressants" then whatever it is you want to search for. It works great.)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I am on 5 mg and I am thinking about quitting cause the anxiety is to much!!!!!!!!!

ANd I am thinking its the fluoxetine that causes it !!! its not me!!

:(((

gratefull to replies!!!!

//A

maybe this low dose after being of just makes things worse I mean then I rather be without it!

what to do ???? its not waves its there all day now!!:((( isntt that a sign of the meds hurting more then helping if helping at all ???

• Administrator

trying, I moved your posts here, as they pertain to your particular situation.

What is your daily symptom pattern? Is worse or better in the evening? How has it changed since you went from 10mg back to 5mg?

Was it better when you were taking 10mg? How long did you take 10mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Maybe I need some antianxiety med .. cause my father had it all his life and I heard other people too who can't be without so they accept that they have to tak one ... maybe I am one of them ? Maybe then meds are not wrong ? The way I am dealing with life now doesn't work so rahter feel happy on meds then unhappy without ?? but then which one to take ? Go back up on fluoxetine  ? how then ?? taking 5 mg now ....

morning anxiety and great depression is making me loose whatever I  could have in life !

What would you do ?

why quit meds if it makes you feel really bad and destroying your life ???

Please advice me ! What should I do ???

///Anna

Sorry you feel so bad, if it's any consolation, I totally get the desperation. I was in the desperate state a year ago but didn't know it was withdrawal so I went back on 200mg. I just wonder if this desperate feeling would have burnt out by itself if I had left it or reinstated just a little..this desperate ness, I feel, anyway must burn out sometime.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

People sometimes use benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety drugs) to cope with withdrawal, but they incur the risk of dependency and withdrawal difficulties, too.

There are no easy answers to this question. The best thing to do is to go off drugs gradually enough to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Anna,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I would echo what Alto said, but also wonder if there might be some underlying issues you could uncover. Here in the U.S., more and more people are finding gut problems and subsequent food allergies cause many psychiatric symptoms. Is that common in Sweden? One approach to that is the GAPS diet, but there are several pieces to the puzzle and treatment approaches.

I have recently learned of something called pyrrole disorder or pyroluria. Screening is inexpensive if you can find a knowledgeable doctor. Www.walshinstitute.org lists doctors that they have trained. I would think there would be doctors in Sweden as this condition is reportedly most common in people of Swedish or Irish origin.

I hope you feel better soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Cold turkey and reinstated 3 months after in desperation tried 5 , 10 and 2,5 mg for one month...The intense anxiety is worse in the days then at night ...  ... you guys said staying stable on one dose would make the anxiety go away??? it doesnt ...:( have been on alomst exactely 5 mg  for alomst 10 days now and still panicattacks and anxiety.. :( how long should I stand this ??? before considering increase or decrease dose ?

Scared of increasing though cause got the brainzaps etc then when I was on the prozac ...
//A

Hello trying to survive I was on bensos for 20 odd years and all they did in the end was to en crease my anxiety and panic attacks I have been off them for 28 years and long stopped thinking about what they done to me.idid not have the luxury of this site there was no Internet then how ever I did have a man who told me to treat my anxiety and panic attacks as a separate issue and he turned out to be so right .He told me to buy some good relaxation CDS and to use them whether I thought they were working or not he told me that I had to train my brain not to be frightened of my symptoms to start meditating and to stop moaning unless it made me feel better I am also in withdrawel from antidepressant.s im 5 months an 12 days off of doxepin after 40 years .I'm currently experiencing servere depression but no anxiety or panic attacks and I believe it's because I still do what that man told me all those years ago. I also know that bubble and etu have given you excellent advice stay with this site and like me you will slowly but definitely get well God bless mate x

I was originally on 350 mils doxepin started in1975 through the years I tapered down to 100 mils

I stayed on this dose for many years

I have now been off for 7 months ago

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling. But 10 days of stability after months of destabilisation is not enough. What you should look at are however brief and small periods of relief.

Just to give you an idea, when I reinstated it took me 4 months to feel noticeably better. So in your case we are also probably talking about months, not even weeks and let alone days.

It is important to understand that at this point changing doses will only make things works. It is stability over time that heals and not a particular dose. There are no quick fixes unfortunately. Actually attempts to speed recovery through higher doses cause more destabilisation. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Period after reinstatement was one of the worst periods of my life. But I somehow felt that what was happening to me was not a result of what I took the previous day or even the previous week but what happened months before. Our psychic is like a building with its statics destabilised that takes its time in collapsing gradually. Now you have found yourself under rubble and it will take lots of patience, strength and courage to dig yourself out and build yourself again. 

Has there been any how ever slight and however short improvement?

• Moderator Emeritus

What Bubble said. It can take a few months. I understand your feelings of desperation but there is no way to fix what you are experiencing now. If there was, none of us would be here. I would love for that to be the case.

What you are experiencing now is due to the things that you did many months ago. Your body and nervous system cannot repair that overnight. 

I can't tell you how long it will take before you feel better, but I guarantee that if you change your dose or quit now, you will get worse. I'm sorry I don't have good news for you. We have been down this road with hundreds (well, probably over a thousand now) of people, and what you are experiencing has been experienced by hundreds before you. The advice we give is based on hundreds before you. The best results and the only successes we see come from stabilizing and not changing things, and people usually do suffer for a while before it really gets consistently better. That's just what these drugs do to people.

• Administrator

trying, please answer these questions:

trying, I moved your posts here, as they pertain to your particular situation.

What is your daily symptom pattern? Is worse or better in the evening? How has it changed since you went from 10mg back to 5mg?

Was it better when you were taking 10mg? How long did you take 10mg?

Reinstatement may make symptoms less intense but not take away symptoms. Sometimes it takes quite a while to stabilize.

Cold turkey causes particularly intense symptoms which can last a long while.

thanks for the responses doesnt seem to be any practiotioners in Sweden for pyroluria ... :/ but what if I take supplement of zink and B6 ?

//

Well, that is too bad. If you go to Pyroluriatesting.com, you can read about testing there. In the FAQs it says to contact them directly about international ordering. I would hesitate to completely self-treat without any knowledge of a diagnosis. You could easily have a different situation.

This is what is happening with my daughter...she is of Chinese ancestry, and I read somewhere loose on the web that pyrrole disorder is very rare in that population. But although she is a lovely girl, she has always been what we call in the US "a handful." So we ordered testing with just a quick consult with Dr. Mensah. I talked to him yesterday...her pyrroles are so high that he says it is not just pyrrole disorder but something is systemically wrong with her. At this point, I have no idea what to do, but we'll figure something out.

If you are going to treat just on your own, I would suggest looking at Mensah's product line section. There is something called Core Elements (or similar) that is what they believe everyone needs as a general supplement. If you click on the photo, it rotates around the bottle and you can read what is in them and just buy the individual ingredients. If you want to just "assume" pyrrole disorder, they sell "Pyrrole Pack" (again, you can just read the ingredients) but again I have reservations abut doing that without knowing what is going on. Www.mensahmedical.com has a section of videos. The most recent is about MTHFR, and the first part is an overview of the things they treat. It would give you a quick overview of their philosophy, and it would give you a realistic look at why testing might be worth the money.

Good luck! I know this is hard, but overall, I think searching for answers will help you have a better life than just being resigned that you have a hopeless, inherited condition.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

* post moved from tapering section

Hi ! How do i know if it gets better or not ??
The anxiety is really bad from before noon untill late afternoon
...and then in the evening it is easier if I am not alone that would say,,,
Does this pattern mean something ? I take the smal dose in the morning could it be that which makes the anxiety worse in the day ?
Should I try to take it in the evening instead ?

You guys took other things so its not the same as fluoxetine (prozac) ... how can you know what is right for me then :/ ...?

Edited by Petu
added note

Maybe I need some antianxiety med .. cause my father had it all his life and I heard other people too who can't be without so they accept that they have to tak one ... maybe I am one of them ? Maybe then meds are not wrong ? The way I am dealing with life now doesn't work so rahter feel happy on meds then unhappy without ?? but then which one to take ? Go back up on fluoxetine  ? how then ?? taking 5 mg now ....

morning anxiety and great depression is making me loose whatever I  could have in life !

What would you do ?

why quit meds if it makes you feel really bad and destroying your life ???

Please advice me ! What should I do ???

///Anna

My grandfather had anxiety and so did my grandmother, long before the days of antidressants and benzos. My grandfather used a small amount of alcohol to control his, though never to excess. His anxiety did finally burn out in his older years. I do believe some of this runs in families and I have had anxiety long before ever touching a drug. However, I do think that now that I know more about it I may be able to control it without drugs. Seeing how magnesium has helped so much, I just wonder if I had a mag deficiency all along.

I often wonder what people did about anxiety hundreds of years ago. I guess that is why alcohol was so popular. In our area most every one back in the day had stills and made their own alcohol. I don't recommend alcohol but used moderately my grandfather was able to overcome his anxiety with no drugs. He probably just needed a little Magnesium and never knew it.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Moderator Emeritus

Many of us have taken fluoxetine (me included). We work with lots of people on all kinds of drugs. Here's the thread on tapering fluoxetine:  http://survivinganti...zac-fluoxetine/

Please read the links we have provided you and the materials available in the forum. 

Nobody is saying we know what is right for you, but I, for example, have spent something like 20 hours a week for four years working with people in withdrawal, and I think others are comparably dedicated, so we have worked with many hundreds of people over the years and we have seen what seems to work for people and what does not. 

I wake up with shaking and with a stress in my body take the 5 mg plus magnesium feel a bit warm but then extreeme anxiety that comes in attacks during all day can't focus be social or work! and at night I am exhausted!!!
Have tried 5 mg exactely since 2 weeks now : no improvement om staying on exact dose like you said ... so what sould I do!!!??
give this dose longer time ? take anthistamne (thats the option to benzo the doctors give me here for anxiety and wait it out ? decrease ?? or increase :///?

Feel I am going crazy!! scary lik loosing control!!
maybe It just makes things worse taking it ??? since I was withoutb the drug in my body for 2 months ...but now that was 2 months ago ....
what to do ?????
please ...! help!!

• Administrator

trying, please continue to let us know how you're doing.

There is no way to predict how someone will recover from iatrogenic damage from psychiatric drugs. Unfortunately, doctors don't pay any attention to this.

What we see is that reinstatement often, but not always, reduces withdrawal symptoms. If it does not, one must gently support the nervous system in healing itself over time. One way or the other, this requires a lot of patience and inner strength.

We know people do heal, we have many stories of that here.

• Administrator

trying, I moved this post from the Tapering forum:

I wake up with shaking and with a stress in my body take the 5 mg plus magnesium feel a bit warm but then extreeme anxiety that comes in attacks during all day can't focus be social or work! and at night I am exhausted!!!
Have tried 5 mg exactely since 2 weeks now : no improvement om staying on exact dose like you said ... so what sould I do!!!??
give this dose longer time ? take anthistamne (thats the option to benzo the doctors give me here for anxiety and wait it out ? decrease ?? or increase :///?
Feel I am going crazy!! scary lik loosing control!!
maybe It just makes things worse taking it ??? since I was withoutb the drug in my body for 2 months ...but now that was 2 months ago ....
what to do ?????
please ...! help!!

It sounds to me like you are having a bad reaction to 5mg. If I were you, I'd try 2.5mg.

I don't know if an antihistamine would help or not.

Altostrata I am really confused ! You say different things now ! Now you tell me to reduce the dose 50% from 5 mg to 2,5 mg again ? what happened to stabilizing on one dose ?? like bubble and you and the others said before ?

please get back to me on this ASAP!