tryingtosurvive: fluoxetine tapering

tryingtosurvive

• Moderator Emeritus

We all have this imperative to be functional and do the things we (feel we) absolutely have to do. The most importnat part of recovery is giving yourself time off. I can't emphasise this enough. This is a serious state as you yourself are witnessing. We have experienced that forcing the recovery makes things worse and the whole process last longer.

You have also experienced that more doesn't mean better. You clearly and unmistakably got worse after increasing to 10 mg. Why would you now want to go to 20? I can understand this applying the usual logic about drugs such as antibiotics: if you feel worse, you take a higher dose. But ADs don't work like other drugs

If I were you I would maybe think about going back to 5 but definitely not higher. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that you were starting to stabilise at 5 mg but you were impatient with how slow you were going and the fact that symptoms didn't immediately disappear or didn't disappear after 2 weeks. But the fact is that nothing can make them disappear quickly now. We see very gradual improvement. Your story so far confirms this pattern: all your attempts to speed things up have resulted in making you feel worse.

This text helped me to understand what we are dealing with here:

lot of people, including healthcare practitioners; in fact, I guess, most people-- are operating from entirely the wrong paradigm, or way of thinking, about these meds. They're thinking of them like aspirin--as something that has an effect when it's in your system, and then when it gets out of your system the effect goes away.

That's not what happens with medications that alter neurotransmitter function, we are learning.

What happens when you change the chemistry of the brain is, the brain adjusts its chemistry and structure to try to return to homeostasis, or biochemical and functional balance. It tries to restabilize the chemistry. 

For example: SSRI antidepressants work as "serotonin reuptake inhibitors." That is, they cause serotonin to remain in the space between neurons, rather than being taken back up into the cells to be re-used, like it would be in a normal healthy nondrugged brain.

So the brain, which wants to re-establish normal signaling and function, adapts to the higher level of serotonin between neurons (in the "synapse", the space between neurons where signals get passed along). It does this by removing serotonin receptors, so that the signal is reduced and changed to something closer to normal. It also decreases the amount of serotonin it produces overall. 

To do that, genes have to be turned on and off; new proteins have to be made; whole cascades of chemical reactions have to be changed, which means turning on and off OTHER genes; cells are destroyed, new cells are made; in other words, a complex physiologic remodeling takes place. This takes place over time. The brain does not grow and change rapidly. 

This is a vast oversimplification of the amount of adaptation that takes place in the brain when we change its normal chemistry, but that's the principle.

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay.

When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse.

SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. 

It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. 

I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long. 

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

This isn't intended to scare people, but hopefully to give you some idea of what's happening, and to help you respect and understand the process so you can work with it; ALSO, because you are likely to encounter many, many people who still believe these drugs work kind of like aspirin, or a glass of wine, and all you need to do is stop and get it out of your system. 

Now you can explain to them that no, getting it out of your system is not the issue; the issue is, you need to regrow or at least remodel your brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I feel extreeme anxiety now when I wake up in the morning. The anxiety is always less in the evening.

what does this mean ?

I take 5 mg now.

not sure 10 mg made me worse anxiety-wise when I tried that but it made me feel more drugged after taking it ... but I guess thats normal when u raise dose ?

still considering if I should rais dose :/ cant live with this anxiety.

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

I cant take this anymore!!! I increase the dose now I am desperate!!

how much to - 10 or 20 ?

I can't take more panicattacks!!

//

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

• Moderator Emeritus

What dose are you taking now?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

approximately 5 mg since two months have been altering the first month the second I tried to just take 5mg everyday to stabilize as you said but the anxiety was still very bad so I got the advice to go up to 10 mg so did that 2 days  that was three days ago now so since three days 5mg again ....I get scared no matter what I do .... thinking about going to the psyciatric and let them decide to put me on higher dose.... but can it be the alterations that I feel now ? or is it the cold turkey getting worse????

if it is the latter then need to reinstate more .... and I should the reinstate ASAP right ?

Is it the cold turkey that is getting worse - cause then I need to reinstate ASAP right ? how much then ? 10 or even 20 ?
or is it the alterations that makes is worse now ? then I should stabilze...
can't take the decisions am to scared now to scared of everyhthing ... leave my self to hospital and let them do it ?

You already did reinstate to 5mg. You will not see the results for a while. It took me some months.

You may very well be far worse if you take 10mg or 20mg. 

Getting polydrugged in a hospital in your current condition scares me the most. We have seen here where that may lead.

The decision is yours only. No one here can do it for you. 

You need to find the fighter in you.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

Stop changing your dose.  Every time you make a change, you are causing another problem for your nervous system.  Its going to take time for you to stabilize and start to feel better no matter what dose you take. Every change is making you worse, not better.

2.b. Do not expect to feel better immediately. There are no silver bullets for withdrawal syndrome. There is no pill of any kind that will immediately put you back to normal. If you make a good change, the effect is likely to be slight at first. Be patient.

2.c. Do not jump around in dosage. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for the change to fully register in your system. Unless you have an IMMEDIATE bad reaction, wait at least 4-7 days to see how the change affects you.

2.d. Be patient, recovery is inconsistent and gradual. The nervous system is very complicated. It can repair itself, but it takes time to do this. In the meantime, you may experience The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

I feel extreeme anxiety now when I wake up in the morning. The anxiety is always less in the evening.

what does this mean ?

This is a very common pattern when people are recovering from withdrawal.  I have the same pattern, slowly, over time the morning anxiety gets less.  But then waves come and it gets worse for a while, but then better again.  For some people it can take a long time for complete recovery.  Taking care of yourself the best you can, minimizing stress and finding patience is what is needed and then time.

Continually changing doses of medications is NOT helpful.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Please note: Pyroluria is a highly controversial condition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomolecular_psychiatry#Pyroluria

Personally, I'm highly skeptical.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

* Post moved from tapering section

Can you get Social anxiety from fluoxetine ? I am withdrawing from social occassions and becomming more and more alone and that feels really really scary I am scared to be alone ! have always been. And now it is worse then ever ! Anyone had or heard of fluoxetine making social anxiety worse ? I am super afraid and feel more and more that since I am not doing good friends are withdrawing ... even my bf is doing so - and I am ... panicing and withdrawing ....
is it the reinstatement 10 mg since 5 days now ... or is it the cold turkey since july ?...
I fear that flouxetine made me either braver or more socially anxiouss ....
feel no security within my self at all icon_sad.gif(((
Seeking desperately ways to not be alone everyday acting like a baby :/// even thinking now to move in with my mum ... she wouldnt like it but I am desperate!
See how all my friends had enough with me being like this...
how to deal with this ? take more the 10 mg ? take none ..?
I am seriously loosing it....going back to old destructive behaviors of eating and sleeping through the day ,,, :'''''''''''(
:'(

Edited by Petu
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you still taking 5mg?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

The last days I have experiences increased restlessness and also urge for unhealthy food and to much anxiety to move my body just crawls up together in bed take some antihistamine which makes me tired and so I go back to bed days passing by ...been down this rado before ... last time I think it was also connected to change in fluoxetine doses .... icon_sad.gif((((
I have now taken 10 mg since 10 days no improvement just gotten worse ... diareea again and increased anxiety ... with the 5 mg at least I had windows where I was my self ... now they are not here ...
what to do now ?-----?-----?
going to see a nutritionist and a tcm practitioner ....costly ... but maybe helping somehow ?

hard to stay active lost my willingness to be around people like this .. but still super scared to be alone ..

help ...

just got another psychiatrist who adviced me lyrica :////

benzodiazepines or lyrica or antihistamines or TCM hearbs called "peace pearls" is what I have to choose from for anxiety now ...
What would your advice be ?
As it is now all I dare to take is antihistamines but they make me very sedated and I can't deal with everyday tasks. The anxiousness is really really bad all day .. only at night it gets a bit better ....
10 mg fluoxetine is what I take since 2 weeks ...still very very anxiouss
What to do ? I need something to help me if not to be hospitalized...

Very grateful to your advices!

just got another psychiatrist who adviced me lyrica :////

benzodiazepines or lyrica or antihistamines or TCM hearbs called "peace pearls" is what I have to choose from for anxiety now ...

What would your advice be ?

As it is now all I dare to take is antihistamines but they make me very sedated and I can't deal with everyday tasks. The anxiousness is really really bad all day .. only at night it gets a bit better ....

10 mg fluoxetine is what I take since 2 weeks ...still very very anxiouss

What to do ? I need something to help me if not to be hospitalized...

Very grateful to your advices!

Oh dear, sorry I am first to your aid, it's just that I am not the most knowledgeable on how to taper antidepressants since I reduced my antidepressant to half in bits here and there.

I am unable to advise you whether to updose or what.

I did take one of my promethazines today though and that really chilled me out without getting me too drowsy.

It was a 25mg pill.

Do you have access to telephone support or something to distract you from your anxiety.

I have an idea of how bad drug withdrawal based anxiety as I had withdrawals from diazepam, and it wasn't very nice.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Administrator

trying --

DO NOT START TOPICS IN OTHER AREAS ON THIS SITE. PUT ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT DRUGS HERE IN THIS TOPIC.

I am merging your other topics into this one. Please stop making additional work for the moderators.

Read this again. Did you go up to 10mg Prozac?

TRYING, READ THIS AGAIN.

trying, I moved this post from the Tapering forum:

I wake up with shaking and with a stress in my body take the 5 mg plus magnesium feel a bit warm but then extreeme anxiety that comes in attacks during all day can't focus be social or work! and at night I am exhausted!!!
Have tried 5 mg exactely since 2 weeks now : no improvement om staying on exact dose like you said ... so what sould I do!!!??
give this dose longer time ? take anthistamne (thats the option to benzo the doctors give me here for anxiety and wait it out ? decrease ?? or increase :///?
Feel I am going crazy!! scary lik loosing control!!
maybe It just makes things worse taking it ??? since I was withoutb the drug in my body for 2 months ...but now that was 2 months ago ....
what to do ?????
please ...! help!!

It sounds to me like you are having a bad reaction to 5mg. If I were you, I'd try 2.5mg.

I don't know if an antihistamine would help or not.

From what you're reporting, it sounds like you might be reacting badly to 5mg. This is only my guess, as a non-doctor peer counselor. That is why I suggested a reduction to 2.5mg.

If you are reacting badly to 5mg, you will react worse to 10mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

* post and the one below moved from tapering forum

Hi paxilprogress closed ?? Anyone knows what happened ?

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

• 2 weeks later...

going under might be in a ward soon :/ .. need advice....

I have since beginning of  december = one month I have taken 10 mg of fluoxetine and all that I can see has happened is that I go in regression I overeat and sleep anxiety is so strong Is it possible the increase made it worse??? (have had this kind of similar behavior before while changing dose.. any one recognise it ? do I need increase more ? or should I better take it away? Got so desperate now take 2 mg benzo with antihistamine sometimes but it doesnt help just feel worse eating and anxiety that makes me go crazy  :( is the benzo even making it worse ? what should I do ?

also ;How can I find your responses and my topic after posting?

The psychitrist doesnt know what to do so might go to a ward which really scares me!!

Therefore do you know any ehabcenters or retreats etc i Europe?

Very gratefull to all your replies ASAP

// trying but dying ;(

• Moderator Emeritus

Trying

I'm sorry you are struggling but please read back through the advise you have been given on this thread. It sounds like your system is sensitive to changes. Up dose to 10mg May gave trumping gear your system as might the addition of a benzo or antihistamine. You need to get past the idea that taking pills will fix your problem. Your system needs time and the opportunity to stabilise

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Trying,

as Dalsaan wrote, we have already given you the best of our advice many times. If you start reading your thread from the beginning you will find all the answers several times.

All your questions and answers since you joined the forum are here on your thread in Introductions and updates. Every time you log in, you can just scroll down till you find your thread depending on when it was last active. Or you just type your name into search and then on your profile click on Topics and it will take you there. But opening Introductions and updates is usually enough.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Trying

I'm sorry you are struggling but please read back through the advise you have been given on this thread. It sounds like your system is sensitive to changes. Up dose to 10mg May gave trumping gear your system as might the addition of a benzo or antihistamine. You need to get past the idea that taking pills will fix your problem. Your system needs time and the opportunity to stabilise

Dalsaan

How long time ? and how to function meanwhile ?

Sorry for being a mess and not posting correctly here I have really been going worse...

my bf thinks I should just focus on other things then reading here .... he gets angry when he sees I am here ...

How can I make him understand  ? My anxiousness is killing our relationship ... :///

Sorry again and grateful to your replies <3

• Moderator Emeritus

While you are on your page, look up at the top of the page. There is a grey box that says 'follow this topic' .

Click that box. When you come in go to 'topics I follow' and you will find this thread there. 

Are you still taking 5mg? Alto suggested 2.5 did you start that?. This is very hard for you and only time can 

make it better. Adding more medicines can make you much worse. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Trying

Dalsaan

How long time ? and how to function meanwhile ?

my bf thinks I should just focus on other things then reading here .... he gets angry when he sees I am here ...

How can I make him understand  ? My anxiousness is killing our relationship ... :///

This the time in your life when you have to find the fighter in you. Like Churchill said: If you're going through hell, keep going. There are no shortcuts. I was in hell for months and months before I could see any true progress. 

Your boyfriend can not understand if he has not gone through this himself. If he cares about you enough he`ll accept your situation be on your side. Understanding is not necessary. It is a very overvalued word.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

Hi tryingtosurvive, I had the same problem with my bf, when he saw me reading the threads in here he wanted me to stop and focus on him or tv or something else. It's very difficult for someone who hasn't gone through WD hell to have any idea what this condition feels like and how we need to reach out to others that have also experienced this.

Just try to explain to him that reading some of the threads and replies here is helpful and giving you tools and support to cope. That's what I did with my bf, he doesn't understand 100% but he knows I need the support and advice from people that know exactly what I feel. Try to show him some very insightful posts around. I found Bubble's recent post "Best of SA" incredibly helpful, for me and maybe to show to my bf and family (even my therapist) so they can understand me better. 

I also was struggling with deciding what dose to stay on while still suffering from withdrawal. Almost a month ago I decided to not make any changes or additions of meds (thanks to the advice of people on this site). Although I'm still on some meds, I'm on much lower dosages than before. I'm suffering through the waves and having very little windows, but I'm hanging in there. It's very important to not make more changes. This caused me a lot of suffering and damage for two years. This will take time, patience, strength and many other things. 

Please read Bubble's post, "Best of SA", hope it helps you.  (You might want to show it to your bf)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

I got advice from Council for Information on Tranquillisers, Antidepressants, and Painkillers (CITA) about a two week reduction cycle "In essence the process involves making as small a reduction as possible, on just one day in the week (say Monday) in each of two weeks (weeks 1 and 2), but taking your current dose on the remaining six days each week.  During the next two weeks (weeks 3 and 4) you take the reduced dose on two days (say Monday and Thursday) and your current dose on the remaining days.  Weeks 5 and 6 you have three days on the reduced dose (say Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and your current dose on the remaining days.  Continuing like this, by weeks 13 and 14 you will have had two weeks entirely on the reduced dose.  You then start your next reduction, on one day, two days, three days etc, taking another 14 weeks to complete this step.  "
... but here you talk about the 10% rule and liquid .... I wonder which one of this methods is better ? Why ?

what is the difference if doing the two weeks cycle and taking same amount of liquid everyday with slow reduction ?

My boyfriend tried to help me calculate  ...If I am now on 10 mg fluoxetine and take 0mg 2 out of 7 days and the rest 10 mg...(thats what I did last week which  we realized afterwards in calulation was a 30% decrease so maybe not so god :/// ) .... BUT  should I better contiue do that now for two weeks and then 0mg 3 out of 7 days for twi weeks etc... Or is that to fast ? should I go down to 5mg first ? Please tell me how could this schedule look like for me ? from now on ?

I eitherway seem to experience great anxiousness after taking the 10 mg now matter what I do now :( even a bitt better the days I take 0mg...

What does this tell you ?

And for the calculation ... does fluoxetine have 2-4 days or 7-15 days ? I understood from the information on this page that its half life extends somehow ? How to count /understad this from 2 week cycle ?

Grateful to your reply as soon as possible!

If this forum thought that way was better, they would recommend it. But by using liquid, you can make tiny cuts and still keep even daily dosing. This way is much better for sensitive people.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I am very sorry will try to bokmark will not write outside of the thread again...
unless there is a time when a new subject is ok to start by same person ? just so I know .
sorry again.

thank you for the replies ... Cdav: I will try to look at the thing from Bubbles just saw your answer now ...

hugs and sorry again for made a new topic will not do that again will write here .

still if you have advices for the tapering methods and if any of you could explain the halflife counting in this way of decreasing either with the two week cycle or with the liquid 10 % ?

Very gratefull that u excist people here !

//trying to survive but the ward might be next week ... :( anxiety is unberable still with benzo ...and antihistamines :(

I don't know, but I suspect all of us here have some kind of difference in physiology that make coming off these drugs different than for most people. For example, I found out that I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer of drugs that go through a particular enzyme system in the liver that is involved in the metabolism of many psych drugs. So a listed half-life is irrelevant. I think there are many things, mostly undiscovered, that can have an impact. Alto's plan may not be be necessary for everyone, but it is the very safest way that accommodates people with metabolic/genetic differences.

So the goal would be to hold still and stabilize, which may take months. Then, since you have had so much trouble, maybe try a five percent reduction, by making the same liquid dose daily. Because Prozac has a longer half-life, do that for six weeks, keeping a journal. Using that data, you can plan your next cut. Because of the trauma your nervous system has endured from the C/T, regular advice from regular doctors and charities will not be very useful to you. Your brain perceives that its internal systems are threatened by these chemical changes, and any change is threatening. You've got to let it settle down by choosing a dose, and sticking with it. Doing otherwise will possibly lead to more physiological and sociological chaos in your life. Just my opinion, of course.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Trying, I am going to ask you some questions,  Can you answer them for me? 

How much prozac are you taking? 

When did you start taking that amount?

Are you taking ANYTHING else now? 

2002  effexor. 

since the end of november I take 10 mg ( cut 20 mg pill in 1/2) because someone said to me try increase from 5 to 10 mg before trying benzo, since increasing fluoxetine will decrease your anxiety that person said....well it has been more then one month now with the same dose and I feel very much worse anxiety and depressionwise!

I have atarax (antihistamine), valerian and benzodiazepines  ( 2,5-5 mg) that I can take when I need and since I increased to 10 mg from 5 mg i november I have been needing to take this calming this but it doesn't help.

The windows disappeared since I went up to 10 mg. Some 2 days the last week I didn't take anything and felt better that day. I know I still have fluoxetine in my body ... but taking 10 mg is making me feel even worse... :/

and together with the calming **** I am a psychiatric-wreck not able to do anything

so should I try to go down to 5 mg ? or do 2 days 0 mg and 5 days 10 mg like I started this last week. Nothing well planned ... can't really plan :((( it's like I can't think or focus just so high on anxiety all time :( thats why the ward seems like the only option ... maybe they will give me something else .... one doctor suggested valdoxan anotherone sertraline....

I am just suicidal don't want to be on antidepressivs but maybe I am a lost case that has been my thoughts the last month taking 10 mg again and ALSO even benzo from time to time :/// that is so not me ! I hate drugs and alcohol etc...:/

what does this info tell you ? what is your advice ?

grateful thank you

//trying

updated my profile name

• Moderator Emeritus

so should I try to go down to 5 mg ? or do 2 days 0 mg and 5 days 10 mg like I started this last week. 

I wouldn't do either of those things.   The first one isa drop of 50% which is way more than the 10% maximum we recommend here.   The second one, alternative doses is not recommended either because it doesn't support stability.

I would work out a way to taper at 10% and drop down to 9 mg (perhaps make a liquid.  Here are instructions on how to do that - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/)

I also recommend that you reread this thread on our key philosophies about withdrawal and tapering http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

At least then you will know what we will and wont support and perhaps be better positioned to think through what to do

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

so should I try to go down to 5 mg ? or do 2 days 0 mg and 5 days 10 mg like I started this last week. 

I wouldn't do either of those things.   The first one isa drop of 50% which is way more than the 10% maximum we recommend here.   The second one, alternative doses is not recommended either because it doesn't support stability.

I would work out a way to taper at 10% and drop down to 9 mg (perhaps make a liquid.  Here are instructions on how to do that - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/)

I also recommend that you reread this thread on our key philosophies about withdrawal and tapering http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

At least then you will know what we will and wont support and perhaps be better positioned to think through what to do

Dalsaan

I tried to make liquid from the fluoxetine Sandoz pill but the water doesnt become completely clear so it doesnt disolve 100% , how much water for 10 mg pill?

sorry not god in chemistry or math :/

thanks for your help gratefull to your reply to this ...

And so now I should try to go gradually down even though I already jumped two days last week ?

Have you seen this Citap.org SSRI-Protocol? Don't know if I can am allowed to post link here ?

How about trying another antidepressiv from prozac to get out of the worst depression and anxiety... has that ever helped anyone? How should I argument to the doctor if I seek help now since I am suicidal ...? Should I ask for help with tapering ?

Thank you for your help!

//Trying a bit more ...

Well, first of all, here is the link that Mamma P has written for people who are feeling suicidal http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7619-help-for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal/. Always the most important thing to do is to save your life. As it seems like things have gotten harder the more you have changed drugs, it is impossible for us to know from this vantage point if the doctor changing medications would help.

MammaP was recommending you try a dose of 9mg and see how it goes, it is highly unlikely that any dosing, up, down or across to a new drug will relieve your symptoms in the SHORT TERM, but getting steady at one dose, then decreasing slightly is your best bet LONG TERM.

When you mix the tablets with water, not all the inactive ingredients dissolve, so the water will never be clear. Just let it set 10 minutes and stir, then stir while you draw up the dose. That will evenly distribute any active drug that did not dissolve completely.

You can set up your solution with the amount of water you prefer. 10 ml is an easy amount to work with. You would then draw out 9 ml to take for 9 mg. If you were to do this, you would start with your next dosing time and do it every day at the same time,

I don't know about the other plan you looked at, but Alto has studied this carefully for years and this 10% method! same dose each day plan is really her final recommendation unless someone needs to go even more slowly.

We are so pulling for you, and wish you much wisdom as you decide what path to take, especially in managing your suicidal feelings.

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry that I didn't get back to you yesterday Trying. Thank you to Dalsaan and Meime for answering your questions. 

You need to stop changing things and stick with one dose if you want to get well.  

There are many websites that  offer different advice. If you want to follow the advice from somewhere else that is fine, 

but you need to stick with one.  We recommend tapering 10% of the current dose, other sites may say different but we

stick to our methods because we believe it is the best way to taper safely and avoid being ill with withdrawal. 

You have suffered badly after cold turkey from prozac and we are trying to help you but you need to work with us. 

We want you to feel better but we are not doctors, just people who have been where you are and have learned

from our own experiences and from people here who have suffered too.  If you go to hospital you will be given different

medication and we can't say if that will help you. I wish I could make this better for you, I would do it in a heartbeat.

You need to stick to one dose, every day at the same time. It will take time for you to get stable, but you

will.  Write down here if things change, if you feel any better or even if you feel worse. We may not always be able to

reply but your posts will  be read by many people who will be thinking about you.  You can read through your thread

and see if there have been any changes as time goes by. 

I hope you will be feeling better soon, please try and keep calm and keep your doses the same every day. 

2002  effexor. 

Im so sorry this is happening to you . When I was in the early stages I found reading peaceful psalms from the bible, praying, talking about it with someone who understands, all those things helped me. If you dont believe in God, I hope I dont offend you...just a suggestion. Calamine tea might help calm you...magnesium. ..etc. keep telling yourself this will pass...it will.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way.