tryingtosurvive: fluoxetine tapering

tryingtosurvive

Sorry for the outburst. But keep loosing opportunities and relationships because I am not functioning !!!!::(((((

You want to write something?

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

I don't want to think in drug ways but I am thinking if I should try to take 1 mg of prozac again ? Finished cold turkey on the last 3-4mg this summer so have been 3 months without any prozac at all...

Now I am fighting with Vit D and magnesium but feel very very irrationally anxious and angry with everyone and scared. So maybe 1 mg can ease the symptoms or is it too late after 3 months without ?...? Or should I try one week ..?

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

• 1 month later...

December and since one month feeling dizzy and nausea. Was late with period and had all the symtomS like pregnancy but now I got the period and the nausea and dizzyness still there. Together with mood changing dramatically and no motivation to do things. Is it "normal" signs of withdrawal worsening so late after quitting ?. .. (as mentioned been without prozac and ssri since took the last dose of 3 mg in July this year.... so ....

Grateful to your responses trying to hold on even though feeling sick! :(

///trying...

Trying I still think your doing well..so were worse when you first came here..yes?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Better then first cold turkey chock yes. But better then when I was on the drug no.:( ...

• Administrator

Many women find their withdrawal symptoms worsen at times in their menstrual cycles.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I am again considering seeing a physician for advice against this constant anxiety that takes all my energy and ability to focus. I wonder if it is withdrawal still now I am almost 5 months completely ssri and 5htp etc free .

I Realised anxiety runs in my family and I probably developed bpd.but there is no dbt around for me here since I have been working in the psychiatry my self that's not an option.

Yes I do exercise and try to beat anxiety and get up and out every day bit I can't live my life the way I want and I see friends and father and other family members who manage because they take ssri or medicine for bipolarity.

I don't want to give in to the psychofarmacéutica especially after all trauma taking it out and all I learned here from you. But at the same time I don't function this way ... and I wonder is there still a chance it will get better? Should I hang in there a while longer ?

Grateful to advice!

//trying a bit more...

Updated my signature too. But please any advi c email as to the anxiety, social anxiety and overall anxiety that takes all my energy - is it still withdrawal? Or is it sometjing that might be helped with meds :/?

Grateful to your replies!

• Administrator

Do your symptoms have any daily pattern?

Yes, it is very possible you still have prolonged withdrawal syndrome. This can last for a long time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes it is worse in the morning. Why ? What does this tell you ? Grateful again to your response!

I am anxious and get super easily stressed. Then I get super tired .... it comes and goes in waves during the day. Feels worse in morning /day and easier at night. Also my mood changes quickly but I might have developed a bpd with sensitive as a child and then traumas (psychiatry and medication being some of these) and invalidation so the mood changes might be "me".... I wonder though if this still can be withdrawal or it can be my state that I might need medication for ? The anxiety.... (Have been of all ssri since took the last 3 mg this summer took some 5htp after that for a month but quit that too . and since November only Vit D and from time to time magnesium to calm dowm and melantonine sometimes to sleep.

Grateful for your experiences

kind regards

/still trying to find peace and my self ...

• Moderator Emeritus

'Worse in the morning' indicates that your symptoms are happening in line with the usual w/d pattern.  They are worse in the morning because cortisol is higher then. 

I think you are at a point in the road where you could choose from two paths - back to drugs, or the path of further building up strengthening practices and patience. 

It is tempting for people to choose drugs, because they are marketed as being an answer.  However they do not sustainably provide either relief or healing.   

You've already come so far in your healing path.  Brains just need the time they need and it's so hard when you are waiting, but at least on this pathway you are headed for real and lasting healing where you will eventually be 'yourself' again.  I imagine that's why you originally wanted to get off drugs?  You will have already built up a fair amount of self-care and belief that you are worth it.  Keep looking to what you can add to this to get you through this next leg of the journey.  You can make it!!

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

It is indeed hard to resist a whole society and health care system who tells you take the pills so you can function better. With less anxiety you can more effectively proceed with what you want .

It is indeed tempting to fall for this.

I quitted the ssri cause I thought they did nothing for me. Only when quitting and the withdrawal hit me full on with akatisia, suicidal, anxiety out of this world, insomnia etceteraetcetera only then I understood the toxic potential of this drug that I have been given for 13 years!! And I have not been alot better during these years U have had severe downs as well even though I was ON the meds so... I don't know what they have done for me... maybe I cared less when I was on them ...the social anxiety is strong now... as well as the sensitivity to stress and strong feelings. ...

I Still feel nausea from time to time and that drugged feeling in my eyes as when I was really worse in withdrawal still comes now and then... so maybe my brain still needS time to heal from.that ****....? The expert psychiatry want to give me new ones though. .. :( ...

Just trying now to deal with career and relations etc that got again all fucked up when I crashed in withdrawal. ...

Thank you for your answer. ..

/trying

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup, it's a bumpy road but you are moving along it.  Brains heal with time.  Each day there are small but significant bits of healing going on in there.  And you will also gradually work out the things in your career and relationships.  Day by day...   

Also, I've never met any 'expert psychiatry.'  I think they are a myth ;)

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

• 2 weeks later...

A drugged feeling behind the eyes like I can't move them and enormous anxiety hits me from no where also super easy sad.

is this WD coming back in waves still ? After 5 months completely of last mg ssri ?

Grateful to your response. Feel so left out and powerless when this comes back need to know if it is normal WD - wave after 5 months ?

Thank you for existing!

//still trying

• Moderator Emeritus

Moved to your intro topic as this question is relevant to your personal journey.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to say that it is very normal after a c/t to get protracted withdrawal.  For some it lasts 2-3 years, but is very individual.  Try to focus on providing all the brain-healing conditions that you can. 

It's not the timing of you last dose that counts, it's the length of time it takes a brain to rebuild itself.  That's delicate work.  Sleep lots if you can.  Like little babies whose brains are developing.   They need lots of sleep, small nutritious meals, and heaps of love. 

8 month hold.

Soooooooo angry and sad of being prevented to take the job I want because I am getting anxious and feeling drugged :(((( period again .. so.maybe an extra downfall with that but hoping that I won't be like this for much longer everytime I have my period :((((

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a big injustice all right. 

8 month hold.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone, feeling desperately low since my energy is gone. It was going "better" for a while since taking high dosis of Dvitamin since october between 2000 to 4000 iu in oil . now started working again ... as a therapist but don't feel it is what I wish to do ... but then again ... nothing that I used to find interesting is anymore... depression ?:/  feel like a robot with no goal and total darkness inside smiling is forced ....

I take magnesium to sleep now ... but maybe after Reading Altos post I should try to reduce the dosis ... maybe thats why I feel sick tired after anxiety rushes ....since I now take the full capsule 250 mg sometimes two but o´nly at night  ... plus melantonine at night which also contains valerian ... I just need something to shut my brain of ... but the latest nights this have not helped ...  I can't sleep feel stressed then all super tired during the day .

I have so many not sure things in my Life that could be stressful to anyone ... I know I shouldn't let it get to me but it does...

I also feel very doubtfull of who I am and what I can do in terms of concentration etc... since after the horrible Cold turkey experience in 2014 I fear I have both ADHD and emotional disability disorders....

any one who has some experience similiar who can give advise how you survived ?

Other thoughts ?

grateful to your reply!

kindest regards

/trying

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen the website by one of the members here, GiaK?  BeyondMeds has a huge amount of ideas to offer, and is also very encouraging.  GiaK survived a very complicated drug w/d and recovery, and is now doing so well. 

8 month hold.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Anyone with adhd or emotional instability disorder here ?

I feel as if I might have both... I can't focus for long, anxiety attacks and as if my mind is spinning then I get super tired . coffee I had to quit after Cold turkey wd almost two years ago now

mood goes up and down (mostly down ) in very intense emotions

I feel bitter of Life and dont know what I will do also very frustrated that I cant do what I was on my way to do careerwise now since the wd destroyed me... ? OR have I Always had this problems but the ssri hided them ? ... and helped me function ?

I know I have Always been inpatient and emotional and disliked being alone .... but now I feel angry bitter and afraind of ppl so I withdraw .... which makes me get depressed.... IS THIS TYPICAL WD SYMTOMS OR IS IT ME ...? .... 6 months since i last I quit completely the 2 mg of Prozac that I was down to from the 10 mg that I reinstated 1 1/2 year ago 

all I take now is vitamine d and magnesium ... and omega 3 and chocoloate :P

Will this intense emotions go away ? is it withdrawal or is it me ?

Experiences ?

VERY grateful to your response!

kindest regards

/trying

I experience enormous anger almost hate against the worold and bitter sadness suicidal thoughts social fobia and anxiety s it WD? Will it pass ? I was not like this before meds but that was before age 16 (I am now 31..)
Any one experienceD this feelings after prozac?
I tapered the last dose in July 2015 quitted then from 3 mg and after that crashes but didn't reinstate again. Since October Dvitamin =difference can laugh again , BUT still unbearable anxiety and anger/sadness also difficulty handling stress and concentrating.
is this part of normal WD from prozac ? Hence there is hope it will pass ? Need hope cause cant function this way. So the option is otherwise to ask for " help" within Healthcare again ...meaning psychopharmaca...:/ if this is not WD that's maybe what I need :/...
if I have BPD/adhd/anxiety all diagnoses suits me now ... don't "have" any of them yet..

(Magnesium to sleep , around 2000 IU Dvitamin and omega 3 is what I "take" now....)

VERY grateful to your responses!
/ still trying....

Edited by KarenB
Moved post from symptoms

Its withdrawal and it can go on for years.

You will need to be patient As you no doubt know healing occurs in waves and windows cycles.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 3 weeks later...

Super anxious and then super tired in intense waves all day... is that withdrawal? Also Pain in my joints and fatigue in body after every physical activity .. and I used to run marathones when I was on ssri ....today my vision got blurry too... is this all part of any withdrawal symtom that any one here knows?

It really looks like burn out , adhd emotional disability as well as fibromyalgi. ..:/ can SSRI " cover " over hide these kind of diagnosis ? Or is the symtoms typical withdrawal ? Grateful to your response as soon as possible!

/trying....

Is this above mentioned symtoms withdrawal symtoms that can be normal 9 months since last dose the 3 mg prozac I quitted cold turkey ? (The real cold turkey was 2 years ago - but since then I had to reinstate 5 mg and 10 mg and taper slowly. ..as you know from my story )

• Moderator Emeritus

tryingtosurvive, I would say that all of what you've written about IS withdrawal, as is the tendency for people to question their withdrawal symptoms! 

Nine months is a significant time, where many, MANY people suffer deep waves after having come off the meds too quickly.  Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, it doesn't matter which one - they all have the same impact because they all cause nervous system remodeling!

I'm sorry you are suffering so much.  It is a tough time, and a time to nurture yourself through to a window.  And there will be windows!  Just hang in there!  These symptoms are not some other condition that you've always had - they are most definitely from withdrawal.  I think you are in that place that many of us know so well, where secondary fear is taking over and you are in panic.  Right now you need to distract yourself and be kind to yourself.  The theme of the day seems to be Acknowledge, Accept and Float!

I can't find the link for AAF but maybe someone else will find it.  The more you fight and fret over your symptoms, the worse they get - it is secondary fear and it is a monster!  If you can catch yourself overthinking all of this, become ware that you are engaging in the thinking, you can Acknowledge that these symptoms are due to withdrawal and Accept that this is so and that it will pass, and then let the stress of it all Float on by.

SG

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• Moderator Emeritus

"June 2015 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2016. "

29 March   " 6 months since i last I quit completely the 2 mg of Prozac"

I'm confused about your history trying.  

If the end of March was 6 months since you stopped , then you stopped around end September.   

Please could you have a go at re-doing your signature , just with dates and dosages , no descriptions ,

so people can see your history at a glance.

"The real cold turkey was 2 years ago - but since then I had to reinstate 5 mg and 10 mg and taper

slowly. ..as you know from my story"

Readers don't know your story , and would like to understand it without reading over your whole thread.

That's the point of a good summary in your signature.

Everything you describe is quite typical of protracted withdrawal recovery.  Please see our thread on

"The Window and Waves Pattern of Stabilization"  here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for your replies ! It means a lot in this scary process... will try too look over the signature ... my level of concentration have not been very good lately hard to do anything 100% ...;/

hugs

Now I have updated my signature a bit is it clearer ? Everything have been a mess so not so many clear steps... but some

.. is my symtoms still withdrawal u say ?...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Trying - I'm so sorry that you are struggling and suffering.

You wrote:

I Realised anxiety runs in my family and I probably developed bpd.but there is no dbt around for me here since I have been working in the psychiatry my self that's not an option

Anxiety can be learned as much as inherited.  I agree with Bruce Lipton that environment and epigenetics is at least as important - if not more important - than genes.

Plus, the Bruce Lipton view puts the power in OUR hands.  We are in control of our fate, our destiny, not just victims of a ticking DNA clock.  

You have repeatedly wanted to take this and take that to "fix" your pain.

These things will not "fix" your pain.  The only way to survive pain is to go through it.

Imagine a large dark forest.  You are in the midst of it, there are screeches and sounds, rustling in the bushes.  You are frightened, and want to run out of the woods as fast as you can.  But if you run back to where you were (on the drugs) - it is the same distance as if you went OUT the woods the other way.

You need to learn to Acknowledge, Accept, Float AAF and TIME - wait for the symptoms to pass.  And they will pass - especially if you keep a steady routine.

Here are some non drug techniques.  Don't look for the pill.  Learn from your experience.  Our GiaK (of Beyond Meds): http://beyondmeds.com/2014/11/22/choice-and-emotion/

AAF comes from this lady, who uses archaic language to describe nervous illness - but if you listen to her, there is a great deal of compassion in what she says:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10964-the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/

Here is an audio file to help you when you feel panic:  http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

Sometimes, when your thoughts and feelings get stuck in a rut, you need to Change the Channel.  

Many here are helped by Tolle - Get Rid of Fear and Anxiety and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10992-eckhart-tolle-the-pain-body-and-mental-suffering-during-withdrawal/

Most importantly, you need to look at:  Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms.

What I see is you spinning in circles trying to take this or take that.  After 2 years of doing that, has it helped?  Maybe a bit, but what has helped the most is doing something stable.  Taking stable doses.  You cold turkeyed prozac against our advice - after what you have been through, you could reinstate 1 mg to see if it takes the edge off the worst of your symptoms.  But really - you're now on the roller coaster ride, strapped in.

You can scream and complain - or you can just ride the ride until it is over.  It will be awhile - but it does no good to freak out while you are strapped in for the ride.  Instead, find ways to make your situation more bearable.

Make a list of things that help.  My list looks like this:

Take a walk

Watch stupid TV shows (I like Star Trek the best)

Watch youtube videos - some of them can be relaxing and instructive, some of them (like cat videos) are just silly distractions

play silly games on facebook or the computer

color in coloring books

call someone on the phone.

Take a magnesium bath

Listen to music

Bounce on my mini-trampoline (I have to have energy to do that)

Do yoga or qi-gong (usually from you-tube)

Or just put my feet in a bucket with magnesium in the water (faster)

Pat or brush my cat, or make a game to play with her.

Talk to hubby

Learn something new

Read a book.  If a book is too hard, read a magazine or comic book.  Sometimes I read kids books, because they are easier to understand when I'm having cognitive problems.  I especially like books written for young teens.

What does your list look like?

Start working on COPING techniques instead of looking for magic bullet.  There isn't one.  But there are millions of ways to cope when you are uncomfortable.

I hope to see signs that you are trying things.  Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince - you may have to try many things that don't work, in order to find the things that do work.

Share with us our successes and failures, and why.  If walking is not good - what about dancing?

Look for OTHER techniques - you've had many suggestions on this thread - have you re-read this thread?  Look for other solutions besides taking drugs.

Are you still taking antihistamines?  They can be problematic.  Antihistamines also work on the brain, much like antidepressants and neuroleptics.  They are chemically related, even though they are called a different class of drug - the molecules are very similar.

Please, breathe.  Lie down with your bottom against the wall and put your feet up on the wall.  Breathe.  Use hot packs, cool showers, hot baths - to help shift your mood.  

These are the things which will help you through the next phase.  The object is not to get away from the "bad feelings."  Instead, the object is to go THROUGH them, to embrace them, and learn from them.  That is how you will get well.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Jan carol I am grateful to your reply but I also a lost get upset because I am trying a lot of none drug thingS !! I have not expressed it here or in the signature ... since this October 2015 I ONLY take vitamin D every day and magnesium to sleep sometimes. The things that upset me and that is really paradoxical is that I was just on my way to write a master thesis with alternative medicine I even got offered a internship at Oxford but all list in the withdrawal. I have become a yoga teacher , practice qigong and acupuncture - know a lot but very little help when your system is really panicking.

the things that helped is have been watching series with my bf , ttying to go outdoors, travel, exercise see ppl even if I don't feel like it. But I really hate the whole thing it has destroyed me .I was in hospital as teenager for anorexia and after that my life has been a struggle . I had to fix my grades afterwards and then I finally got into medschool wanted to help my self and to understand... anD I was really on my way When this cold turkey and withdrawal totally destroyed me. I am again now still working in Healthcare even in psychiatry again cause that's where jobs are .. I am trying to offer medical yoga and acupuncture to the clients ..even though I am not functioning my self I have anxiety attacks secretly all day and cry and comfort eat when I am home I can't help feel so bitter and sad that I can't do what I want . And the medical world is a bug lie as well as the research ... I have been studying it and then now I know it's not working. ....:/ ..

I am still trying to find the path and meaning in all this but it is very confusing. Will look into the links when I have time or rather when I am not to anxious to look into the screen...

• Moderator Emeritus

I am still trying to find the path and meaning in all this but it is very confusing. Will look into the links when I have time or rather when I am not to anxious to look into the screen...

I think the suffering you are experiencing will lead you to a higher path, because we all learn so much about ourselves in the process of coming off these drugs.  Myself, I have been searching for what my purpose is, never having figured what I want to do when I grow up (I say laughing since I am now 50).  I know that somehow I am meant to help people.  Maybe this journey will take us both in the direction of helping others to come off these meds, or to find alternative paths to dealing with life's difficulties than to pop a pill.

I think you are incredibly strong to be doing what you are doing despite secretly suffering.  I bow to you!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone went to a psychiatrist yesterday for first time since 1.5 yrs . I have now been 100% med free since last summer so one year . I have been trying to wait the symtoms out but the reason why I went to a psychiatrist now is that I am still super anxious and feel like nothing feels right and this is after one year med free! Everyday inconfortable sad /anxious feeling inside - why can't I just feel OK and happy ? I have a job and a boyfriend but the social life is not easy with this unease inside. Now I am doing things any way . (Working as a therapist trying to see friends being with my boyfriend. .. but nothing feels "right") the psychiatrist said that since I have been of meds for one year it is not likely to be Withdrawal anymore :/// but the bad experience from fluoxetine WD after taking it for 14 years he said when I tried to explain to WD.. I seemed to be "sensitive" to ssri

All he could suggest then was vortioxetine not very tempted...But still if it can ease the anxiety.... it is hard to say if it is me or if it is WD still? Can it be one year free still anxiety as WD effect? Hence is it worth still trying to "wait it out" a bit more before maybe trying any meds ? I got anorexia and started to suffer from anxiety when they put me on fluoxetine 14 yrs ago as a teen so maybe this is my problem that is showing now...I don't dare to live like this and it feels like everything is going to crash ... and I am not at all enjoying or moving towards goals... maybe I still was less anxious on the drug but I remember trying reinstate it was nightmare so that's not an option. ..

anyone experience / know vortioxetine?

Or can it still be even in my case WD anxiety that still can ease even if one year passed ?

.. (I do yoga as a teacher, take Dvitamin and magnesium when needed)

Very grateful to your replies/thoughts! Please write to me with your experiencesearch and knowledge.

Thank you /still trying

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi trying, I merged you new Intro topic with your original one - it's one intro per member.

In quickly reviewing your narrative, it wasn't all that long ago that you were posting about the anxiety, so still an issue, at not yet one year post CT.  I hate to say that one year is not the end of protracted withdrawal for most who do a CT after long term use.  Have you had any windows?

I know everyone has thrown links at you, but it still sounds to me like you are "fighting" the anxiety and allowing yourself to ruminate over it, which keeps stress alive, not a situation conducive to healing.  Maybe you've already seen info about Claire Weekes' work, but I'll give you a favorite link that is elegantly simple:  http://www.anxietycoach.com/claire-weekes.html

Claire Weekes:
Float Through Anxiety

Claire Weekes was an Australian physician who achieved world renown for her ability to help people with anxiety disorders, and for her self help books on the subject.

A central theme of her method was to float through anxiety. What did Claire Weekes mean by that? Here's how I understand it.

How Do You Swim?

It's complicated. You have to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs, and head to propel yourself through the water. You also have to breathe without taking in large quantities of water. And you have to keep going in the right direction, even when water gets in your eyes.

If you're like most people, it took a lot of practice to learn to swim, because there are so many things you have to make happen, and so many techniques to master.

How Do You Float?

You don't really have to learn to float. A block of wood can float, and so can a person. What you might have to learn is how to not get in your own way, how to simply let floating happen.

The block of wood doesn't have to make it happen, it just floats, as long as it's in water. People will float too, if they just lay down on the water.

But people, unlike blocks of wood, often find it hard to let go and trust in their body's natural ability to float. Their mistrust and apprehension will lead them to "do things" to try and stay afloat.

That's not floating, that's sinking! To teach someone to float, you might have to give them a few instructions - lay back, lay your head on the water, lay your arms and legs out, lie still - but the most important part of the "technique" of floating is...do nothing, let go, and let time pass.

Float versus Swim

When anxious clients come to me for help in dealing with anxiety, they usually expect that I will offer them the swimming kind of help: lots of specific ways for coping with anxiety, and many techniques to keep them "afloat".

But what they really need is more the floating kind of help. They need to learn to let go, rather than to make something happen, or prevent something from happening. That's the surest path to anxiety relief.

What did Claire Weekes Mean by "Floating"?

First and foremost, she meant to convey the opposite of fighting. The way to regain a sense of calm is to go along with the sensations of anxiety and panic, rather than oppose them.

She described floating as "masterly inactivity", and said this meant:

to stop holding tensely onto yourself, trying to control your fear, trying 'to do something about it' while subjecting yourself to constant self-analysis.

That's a tough sell! Claire Weekes knew that, of course, and wrote:

The average person, tense with battling, has an innate aversion to ...letting go. He vaguely thinks that were he to do this, he would lose control over the last vestige of his will power and his house of cards would tumble.

Claire Weekes Knew it was a Trick

The aversion Claire Weekes referred to is the result of the Panic Trick. It's the idea that a person is just barely holding himself together, and that if he relaxes his grip even a little, he will fall apart. In fact, it's his struggling to keep a grip that maintains the anxiety!

What I like best about the notion of floating is that it avoids two common misunderstandings about overcoming anxiety. The first one is the idea that you have to struggle against anxiety, fight it, and overcome it. And the second, related to the first, is that you have to arm yourself with all kinds of techniques and objects in order to enter the fray and confront anxiety.

In reality, you'll make much better progress when you let yourself float through the anxiety, not striving to overcome anything, not struggling to employ techniques, but simply allowing the sensations to pass over time.

The best kind of help, in my opinion, is the floating kind. It's help that assists you to rediscover your own natural abilities to cope with whatever comes, rather than arming you against potential adversity.

Weekes was ahead of her time and apparently still is, since there's tons of books and such about tools to use against anxiety.

What you wrote about in this last post was all too familiar to me - I felt that way when I was in withdrawal from a too fast taper off Effexor.

I don't know what to say about the Brintellix other than that we rarely recommend starting another psych med to address withdrawal of the first one, and I really do think that your anxiety is withdrawal based.  You said it yourself, that everything is good in your life, so why should you be suffering this profound anxiety?  Neuro emotions in wd are almost always bigger than the original complaint.   Is this a body anxiety, or fueled by thoughts?  How is your sleep now?

When we are in the thick of it, it is hard to suss out and the question "is it wd or is it me" comes up ALL THE TIME around here :-)  

Maybe you could list the things you have tried, so that we don't throw the same suggestions at you.

SG

** Moved from the Is it withdrawal or relapse topic **

Tried to write before but was on a train so guess the connection was bad can't find what I wrote now...I am writing an article for a book about ssri WD and my story here in Sweden and the toxicity of ssri how psychiatristS don't understand etc. ..I am quite scared if this article will affect my "career" (also I feel a bit "fake" since I.might still "need" to go back on ssri ?...- this is a question I like to ask you :am I still in WD ? Need your expertise. ..:

I have been 100%of meds 11 months now. (After fluoxetine 14 yrs and the ct reinstate and slow taper as you can see in my signature) Is it likely to be still WD the constant feeling of unease that I feel ? Also soooooooo easy to get anxiety and feel super sad . Nothing " feels right " and I am everyday just forcing my self to go to work (work as a therapist and my boss is a psychiatrist (she doesn't know I go home and cry after work)
Nothing feels right but I know I "should be happy " still I can't feel grateful happy and the drive I felt while I was on the ssri.... :/ it's too late to go back now ... as the experience after taper and CT has made me scared to death for fluoxetine ://// but the anxiousness and feeling of unease is haunting me :((( I have this whole year tried to wait it out but close to desperation of going back to smth again as I have been doing Sooo suicidally bad. It is still there this sad,anxious, uneasy feelingS sp I went to a psychiatrist again first time since one year ... he said it's not likely to be WD one year after quitting...he said it is probably me but hard to say since I have been on ssri for so long. He also said I was sensitive to ssri (when I told about WD) the only "help" he wanted /could offer was vortioxetine. ..- anyone tried ?know this ?
I am not very tempted. .. but still feeling very anxious. ..:/ And I am more and more thinking if he is right :if it is me and I need something to not be this anxious :/? (I try non med like yoga etc as I am paradoxically teaching it but still I feel so anxious...only short " windows" oF anoxious free moments... from your experienceD eyes am I still in WD ? Is this WD or is it the anxiousness that made me sick in anorexia (why they put me on ssri as a teen on the first place...)I was emotional as a kid ... maybe emotional inst...
Am I likely to be back as "my self" now or still maybe WD ?

Very grateful to all your replies!

Edited by ChessieCat