tryingtosurvive: fluoxetine tapering

tryingtosurvive

When I was on prozac after many years I started to have brainzaps (like someone put a knife in the back of my skull) and occasionally also panic attacks ... could that have been what u call " poop-outs "

? Grateful to your responses!

(Still have both of these symptoms without and after prozac )

O2Bhappy and others who have experience with prozac did you ever experiencwanted nervepain and gastrointestinal issues ? (During /after this drug)? Is there a link ?

Kindest regards / trying

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

• Moderator Emeritus

Tachyphylaxis or drug "poop-out" means that the drug stops producing the intended effect even though you are taking it at the same dose you always have and maybe even at the highest recommended dose. I don't know what the typical symptoms of that would be. Maybe a google search on tachyphyaxis or drug poop-out would yield an answer your question?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

tryngtosurvive -

Mediation has helped me some during withdrawal. My biggest problem with meditating is making the commitment to doing it everyday.

Yes I experience extreme nausea after stopping Prozac. It lasted 14 months. I was so sick I could hardly eat. I lost 55 pounds. I am grateful that my nausea has improved. At times I still don't have an appetite, but that is okay.

With regards to poop out my body started rejecting the medicine. I started experiencing bad side effects. I had constant headaches, restless leg syndrome. Once I stopped Prozac both those symptoms went away. I experienced those symptoms for years and had not idea they were from the Prozac.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

What is the less dangerous drug to reinstate for anxiety?

Buspar ?

Grateful to replies!

/trying to find a life..

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

• Moderator Emeritus

tryingtosurvive - There are no risk-free medications available to "treat" anxiety and any other psychological or psychiatric concerns have risks.

This site is about providing information to help people taper medications safely and cope with symptoms of withdrawal. We recommend non-drug techniques to deal with symptoms not medications.

Other sites, such as Patients Like Me, may be better suited for your question because they are intended for patients to share information about their treatments.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks for the reply scallywag. I know this site is not pro-psychopharmaca but rather trying to help people survive them... and to survive among this toxins...

just figured since no one else in society really seems to understand how f-cked up you can become from having been on ssri .... and really knowing the drugs better than ppl , clinicians etc out there...I am so desperate to make the situation better but without getting caught in really bad withdrawal and side effects again...

thanks for the page though will look into it.

/Trying

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I am now since 7 months suffering from a severe reflux it even gave me upper pneumoniae athe one point. The PPI ans antiacids made things worse. So can't take that. The reflux is a larnyphageal reflux (LPR) where airborne pepsine and maybe bile comes upp in my troath and airways. Nothing seems to help so I am writing here cause the Dr and ppl in support forums for reflux suggest I try a very low dose of amitripyline like 5- 10 mg. Cause they think my troath might be hypersensitive .

any one here used amitripyline for this cause ?

(My symptoms are troathpain, problem swallowing, lump in troath, problem inhaling, plegm, lots of burping and troath clearing, post nasal drip)

All exams of swallowing etc where normal the only thing they saw was that my lower esophageal sphincter doesn't close at all times ....

since my CT and horrible withdrawal reinstating and tapering veeery slowly with support from your guys I am scared to death to ever touch any psychopharmaca again. But my life has disappeared due to these symptoms so need something that can help. What will a low dose of amitripyline do to me ? Could it ease any of these symptoms?

VERY GRATEFUL TO YOUR RESPONSE you who heard ppl using this or who has experience fromore this

Kindest regards / trying to survive

• 1 year later...

I have been treated with antihistamines and mast cell stabilizers for a some months now due to a histamine intolerance and sever symptoms of mast cell activation disorder. I have my thoughts of how it could logically have been triggered by the SSRI (prozac) that I was on for 14 years cause mast cells have receptors for and mediate serotonin as well..

But not until yesterday when the akathisia similar to the one I had once in my life before - during Withdrawal (WD) from Prozac (have no other drugs or sicknesses) came back after 4 years!!! What is this ? Allergy or connected to WD 4 years after cold turkey ?..?

I also have alot of pain in my joints and a strong burning metallic taste in my mouth anyone experienced similar ?

Grateful to your replies!

/Trying....

On 19/04/2018 at 11:43 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

I have been treated with antihistamines and mast cell stabilizers for a some months now due to a histamine intolerance and sever symptoms of mast cell activation disorder. I have my thoughts of how it could logically have been triggered by the SSRI (prozac) that I was on for 14 years cause mast cells have receptors for and mediate serotonin as well..

But not until yesterday when the akathisia similar to the one I had once in my life before - during Withdrawal (WD) from Prozac (have no other drugs or sicknesses) came back after 4 years!!! What is this ? Allergy or connected to WD 4 years after cold turkey ?..?

I also have alot of pain in my joints and a strong burning metallic taste in my mouth anyone experienced similar ?

/Trying....

the admins might know better but it seems like its possible that its caused by the histamine intolerance that might have been caused by the CT

1. Zoloft(Generic)100 mg From 06/06/2016 to 02/10/2016                         
  2. Lexapro(Generic) 20 MG From 03/10/2016 to 05/2017                               Supplements: vitamin complex 
  3. Lexapro (Generic) CT 05/2017 
  4. 6/08/17- reinstated 10mg Lexapro(Generic)(50%of original doses )
  5. 02/11/2017- 9 mg Lexapro(Generic) (10 % rule) (Homemade)
  6. 04/12/2017- 8.75mg Lexapro(Generic)(BrassMonkey slide)
  7. 19/12/2017- 8.5mg Lexapro(Generic)
  8. 06/02/2018- 8.35mg Lexapro (Generic)
  9. 16/2/2018- 8.22mg Lexapro(Generic)
  10. 25/2/2018- 8.09mg Lexapro (Generic)-05/03/2018- 7.9mg Lexapro (Generic)-28/03/2018-7.75mg Lexapro (Generic)-04/04/2018-7.66mg Lexapro (Generic)18/05/2018-7.64mg Lexapro (brand Liquid)
  11. 28/6/2018 7.50mg lexapro (Brand Liquid ) 15/7/2018 7.40 mg Lexapro(brand liquid) 7.30 mg Lexapro(Liquid) 27-07-2018
  12. Forgot to update this but i continued to taper down until 21/12/2019 and final dose was 1.3 mg  Time since Stoping  3y and 4 mouths
  13.  xanax 16-01-2023 started 0.25 whent to 0.5 RX 1 week Back to 0.25 
  14. corrent dose 0.25 devided in 4 parts 
On 4/21/2018 at 8:51 PM, MiguelFreeman said:

the admins might know better but it seems like its possible that its caused by the histamine intolerance that might have been caused by the CT

you also think histamine intolerance can be caused of CT ?

1 hour ago, tryingtosurvive said:

you also think histamine intolerance can be caused of CT ?

What lead you to taking ssri maybe it came before but in a milder forme

2. Lexapro(Generic) 20 MG From 03/10/2016 to 05/2017                               Supplements: vitamin complex 
  10. 25/2/2018- 8.09mg Lexapro (Generic)-05/03/2018- 7.9mg Lexapro (Generic)-28/03/2018-7.75mg Lexapro (Generic)-04/04/2018-7.66mg Lexapro (Generic)18/05/2018-7.64mg Lexapro (brand Liquid)
  11. 28/6/2018 7.50mg lexapro (Brand Liquid ) 15/7/2018 7.40 mg Lexapro(brand liquid) 7.30 mg Lexapro(Liquid) 27-07-2018
  12. Forgot to update this but i continued to taper down until 21/12/2019 and final dose was 1.3 mg  Time since Stoping  3y and 4 mouths
  • Administrator

tryingtosurvive, it's very difficult to say cold-turkey might have caused histamine intolerance.

Cold turkey is a very high-risk way to come off drugs. It can cause severe withdrawal symptoms and autonomic dysregulation that lasts a long time. Digestion is controlled by the autonomic nervous system.

However, if you had long-standing severe allergies, eczema, asthma, etc. before taking psychiatric drugs, mast cell activation might have been present long before cold turkey.

Whatever caused what, you need to cope with your present health situation. If you have histamine intolerance and eat the wrong foods, you can get symptoms of activation -- nervousness, sleeplessness, etc. These will go away in a couple of days.

What exactly do you mean by "akathisia"?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

43 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

tryingtosurvive, it's very difficult to say cold-turkey might have caused histamine intolerance.

Cold turkey is a very high-risk way to come off drugs. It can cause severe withdrawal symptoms and autonomic dysregulation that lasts a long time. Digestion is controlled by the autonomic nervous system.

However, if you had long-standing severe allergies, eczema, asthma, etc. before taking psychiatric drugs, mast cell activation might have been present long before cold turkey.

Whatever caused what, you need to cope with your present health situation. If you have histamine intolerance and eat the wrong foods, you can get symptoms of activation -- nervousness, sleeplessness, etc. These will go away in a couple of days.

What exactly do you mean by "akathisia"?

Like I am freezing or shaking from under my skin and deep inside its very unpleasant its in my torso and goes out in my whole body,,. It has nothing to do with me being cold or stressed it also feels like bubbles sometimes... Why ?

And I have been forced to eliminate histamine food for 1,5 years so not eating stuff like that anymore... but was never allegic before... :/

51 minutes ago, MiguelFreeman said:

I was forced to take it as a teenager cause it was sadly like a default treatment in Sweden for anorexia ...

On 4/23/2018 at 7:32 PM, MiguelFreeman said:

I was sadly forced as a teenager  to take prozac since it was "by default " treatment  here in Sweden if you had anorexia..

1 hour ago, tryingtosurvive said:

I was sadly forced as a teenager  to take prozac since it was "by default " treatment  here in Sweden if you had anorexia..

Well that sucks , dont worry you will.stabilize ,did you reinstate prozac

On 19/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, tryingtosurvive said:

/Trying....

Hi, 

WD symptoms appeared also to me 4 years after been off citalopram! 

Fortunately they were mild, like muscle pain, heart palpitations, fatigue etc, but gradually subsided over a year, and almost gone by now! 

Take care 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Administrator
On 4/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

Like I am freezing or shaking from under my skin and deep inside its very unpleasant its in my torso and goes out in my whole body,

When did this start? How often does it happen? Does it occur at any particular time of day?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

When did this start? How often does it happen? Does it occur at any particular time of day?

It happens daytime now but Like I Said last time I experienced it was 4 years ago just after CT from Prozac then the reinstate and slow tapering helped so it stopped. Now since 2 years I seem to have developed a mast cell activation disorder I am allergic to all food with histamine and it all started in a trip to Shanghai.  Got really really ill when I came back coughing like hell, swollen throat, Stomach pain and started burping (but no reflux)and very weak and exremly tired etc after 4 months they gave me small antibiotic for what maybe was Clamydia pneumoniae.  Even though I started to be able to breath better I never full recovered am on a very limited diet due to histamine intolerance and have been taking antihistamines daily as well as mast cell stabilizer cromolyn for a while.... but also slot slot of cramping in my body and an increased pain in back also got pain in legs,hip fingers etc my joints also got more cracking and laxative . POTS ,EDS and MCAS are all diagnosis I would fullfill now :///// 

And I fainted twice! And NOW the akatisia also comes back! I have no idea what is going on.????..

If not Mastcell activation disorder from ssri use for too long (14 years) then maybe I got an infection in Asia that has triggered the MCAS ... 

Waiting results for lyme disease... but the cure for that doesn't exist in Sweden.. .:///"

Very grateful to your thoughts again

/trying but don't know for how long more....:::/ there is only so much one can take 

• Administrator
On 4/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

Like I am freezing or shaking from under my skin and deep inside its very unpleasant its in my torso and goes out in my whole body,,.

^ When did this symptom start? How often does it happen? Does it occur at any particular time of day?

When the restlessness/shaking feeling in your torso returned recently had you changed anything?

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

On 4/27/2018 at 11:51 PM, bheb said:

When the restlessness/shaking feeling in your torso returned recently had you changed anything?

No I havent but as I mentioned I have not recovered since I got ill in China 2 years ago and developed the mast cell activation disorder so my diet has since then been VERY restricted 😕 no food with histamine and can't eat many proteins...

have tested positive for lyme now so scared I might have this ... in -sweden they are not good at treating this as they don't like to prescribe antibiotics and if they do its not long enough..... I tried doxycline but got horrible cramps (maybe a herx-heimer reaction...?)

On 4/27/2018 at 11:51 PM, bheb said:

No I haven't but as I mentioned I have not recovered since I got ill in China 2 years ago and developed the mast cell activation disorder so my diet has since then been VERY restricted 😕 no food with histamine and can't eat many proteins...

I have tested positive for lyme now so scared I might have this ... in -sweden they are not good at treating this as they don't like to prescribe antibiotics and if they do its not long enough..... I tried doxycline but got horrible cramps (maybe a herx-heimer reaction...?)

On 4/27/2018 at 9:45 PM, Altostrata said:

^ When did this symptom start? How often does it happen? Does it occur at any particular time of day?

Any time of the day morning and daytime sometimes night

have tested positive for lyme now so scared I might have this ... in -sweden they are not good at treating this as they don't like to prescribe antibiotics and if they do its not long enough..... I tried doxycline but got horrible cramps (maybe a herx-heimer reaction...?)

• 4 weeks later...

I was also positive with Lyme. Don't worry many people treat it here in Poland. If you will write me pm- I will let you know all details.

BR,

2012 March- low anxiety, I started sertraline and I got adverse reaction. -.I got depression, ss thoughts and other bad symptoms 2012 May I was put on Clonozepam & paroxetine- it helped. I stopped clonozepam after 4 months with no issue. 2012- 2016 paroxetine 20 mg/ 30 mg

10/2016-02/2017 I tappered paroxetine and during this I was feeling wonderfull. 3 months without paroxetine and withdrawal syndrome appeared. I went back to paroxetine but I couldn't stabilise. CRASH
01/08/2016--Bridge to fluoxetine. fluoxetine 20 mg , triticco / trazadone 75 mg , clonozepam 0,5mg
September 2016 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I did test in two different laboratories- both positive 04.03.2017. from 20.11.2017 I started tapper from 0.5 to 0.125 mg- when I got some relief from Lyme treatment. I crashed on 01.02.2018, I slowed down tappering.
20/03/2019-  clonozepam 0,0062 mg,  fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
28/06/2019- clonozepam 0,0023 mg, trazadone 75 mg, fluoxetine 20 mg
29/07/2019- clonozepam 0,0012 mg trazadone 75 mg, fluo-20 mg
13/08/2019 clonozepam 0,0006 mg I cut trazadone to 50 mg bcs of terrible fatique- big MISTAKE- 21.08.2019 updosed trazadone to 62 mg-still WD- 28.08.2019 oryginal dosage 75 mg
26/09/2019 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
06/05/2023 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 17 mg, trazadone 25 mg HOLD from 20.11.2021

FROM WD of paroxetine 2017 I have not recovered. I was diagnosed with Lyme, Bartonella , mold, I have low dao (Diamine oxidase). I don't know why but I have some relief from resweratrol, ginger, famotidine (Pepcid)

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi TTS,

I've moved the new topic on MAST cell to the other identical topic you created previously:  mast-cell-activation-disorder-after-ssri

Doing a google search:  survivingantidepressants.org mast cell also brought up this topic:  auto-immune-diseases-triggered-by-ssri-withdrawal

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Tryingtosurvive are you okay now? 

No prior history

2018 -

July - 3 x 5 mg tablets of Diazepam halved into 2.5mg at a time as needed

August - 5 x 5 mg tablets of Diazepam halved into 2.5mg at a time as needed

September - 17 x 10mg doses of Escitalopram before ct

October - 10 x Roxithromycin antibiotic for a 3 week flu

November - fish oil, magnesium, flax-seed oil, Coq10 supplements

• 3 years later...

@tryingtosurvive

I have stumbled upon your thread via a help topic you started. 

Looks like it's been a couple of years since your last post. Seems you were dealing with quite a lot during your time here.

How are you feeling these days?

Don't know if you still receive notifications or if you'll see this.

Just wondering how you are and whether you've had the opportunity to pursue your interesting idea of a book project ... ?

If you ever check back in it would be great to hear how you're doing. 

Wishing you well,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice.