DeterminedDaughter

DeterminedDaughter

I am new to this site.  I can't believe I've finally found what I have needed after looking for a year.  I need wisdom concerning the advisability of working (together with my health providers and the Memory Care staff) to taper my mother off of 150 mg of Zoloft.  She has some severe chronic issues which the docs have all said she will just have to live with.   I believe these chronic issues are side effects of the Zoloft.  She has memory loss / dementia (still fairly high-functioning) , but has good blood work, healthy vitals and organs. 

Both the residential care staff physician and our newly found alternative care physician are willing to help me taper her off Zoloft, but both have suggested tapering methods that I don't feel are safe.  Before I go any farther,  I hope to receive advice on the prudence of even hoping I can get mom off this drug after being on it for five years and now being age 82.  Is there anyone who can reference a similar story?

I don't have advice but want to welcome you to this site.

2000: Paxil, low dose. 2001: Paxil, quickly tapered off. 2006: Zoloft, 25mg. 2007: Wellbutrin, low dose, discontinued after a week or a month. 2007-2009: Zoloft, increasing dose (up to 75mg). 2009-2011: Zoloft, failed withdrawal attempts (cold-turkey; fast tapering). 2009-2011: Trying out Cymbalta, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, Ambien, Ativan, and Xanax. 2012-2015: Zoloft, 100mg to 200mg. 2013: Trazadone for Zoloft-induced insomnia, 25mg to 50mg.  2015: Trileptal, dose?, withdrew; Bupropion, up to 200mg. 2016: Zoloft, 137mg, Bupropion, 150mg, Trazodone, 25mg.

05/21/16: Began Zoloft taper - 10% from 150mg - 137ish mg

06/23/16: Zoloft taper - 125mg

08/03/16: Bupropion XL taper - cut 150mg pill in crude half (mistake)

10/31: Zoloft successfully down to 100mg. Staying on 100mg for 2-3 months to let my brain rest.

11/09: Wellbutrin SR prescribed, 150mg once a day, for withdrawal.

12/11: Wellbutrin SR, twice daily - minus 18ishmg = 112.50mg

09/30/17: Off Wellbutrin SR successfully. Zoloft taper: 90ish mg (shaving it off). Trazodone: still at 50mg.

June 2018: Zoloft: 80ish (shaving off). Trazodone: 6mg. End of 2018: Off Trazodone.

01/20: Zoloft: 70ish?

08/20: Still around 80 or 70. Tapering by only 15 shaves each month.

04/2021: 50mg! 11/2022: 40ish mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, DeterminedDaughter.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA).

Your mother is very lucky to have you researching this for you. Most doctors don't understand these drugs, so it's good you're doing this kind of research.

Is your mother up to posting and asking questions herself? We'd love to have her here and will be happy to address any of her concerns. 

Here is some information about tapering off Zoloft:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Due to your mother's age and if she has any other medical conditions, she may want to consider a micro taper:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Is your mother on any other drugs? Please use this drug interaction checker to check for adverse reactions and copy and paste it here.

Drug interaction checker

Here is some general information about withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

Please fill out your signature with your mother's drugs and doses. Here's how:

Please put your withdrawal history in signature

This is your thread to list your mother's symptoms and to ask plenty of questions. I'm glad you found us for information and support.