SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Distraut: asking how can I help my son, akrontes?

akrontes

I have been off Sertraline for over four months now, after having been on it for about 3 and half years.

Previous 4 years or so  I had been on other medications. Is diffcult to comprehend and explain in words all that is going on, but my whole psyche has been completely overturned in these years, and I do not know to what extent the various medications have caused me this.

I suffer from the severest OCD,and anxiety, and now I think depression, and sheer terror at all my subsconscious thoughts which have completely taken over my whole mind. I have been imprisoned and castigated in my own mind. It is beyond explanation what is occuring on a millisecond basis. I seem to have entered some moral vortex, whereby I feel as if I am always doing wrong. Constantly confronted with "Heaven and Hell". Constantly feeling compelled to undo things, which for example I have written like here. Damned if I do or if I don't , this doesnt explain 1% of what is going on. It has brought into the fore the reason for everything and existence. I really have no idea what is going on, terrifies me the idea that no-one can have any idea of what is going on in my head. Yet on the other hand everybody is in my head, I don't know who is in my head and who isn't. Everything I say in my head is being judged.

I will not go any further for now as I am terrified of writing, and also it may not be entirely pertinent to the subject. Unfortunately it only comforts me to a certain extent to know that others are experiencing their own hell, and I feel guilty in turn for the fact "that others suffering should comfort me', as I have entered some abstract Universe which seems to have its own laws. the ridiculous thing is that in the end what seems "right and wrong" seems to be determined by feeling and not some sort of formula, and I feel guilty in turn for thinking that, and also "convinced" on the one hand that it should be formulated and on the other "know" that it isn't.

One of the main reasons for writing this post was the guilt and fear of punishment, or fear of damning others, especially close ones for benefitting from reading others stories and not contributing my own. To clarify alot of this stuf was going on when I was still on the Sertraline, and perhaps, in a different way when I was on other medication, difference now is that I am that so much more fragile.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added paragraphs & changed font size (ChessieCat); tags added (scallywag)

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009 Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it. Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remember  if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and aripiprazole HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016 Hospitalised - November 13th - 15 mg Mirtazapine until  6th December, decreased to 7.5 mg

Since 24 December been shaving off a little each day.  Now taking approx. 4 mg or 1/4 of 15 mg tablet.  Stopped reducing further for the moment.

Began reducing quite quickly again. Since about 9th June 2017 have stopped taking Mirtazapine.

Off medication for over three years as of June 2020.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi akrontes, and welcome to SA,

There are other members here who have or are experiencing similar things to what you are describing.  Being on the drugs can cause side effects.  Coming off the drugs too quickly can cause withdrawal symptoms.

In the last paragraph you mention other medication.  Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years.  Once we have these details we will be better able to offer suggestions based on your individual situation.

Also, it would be helpful if you could list, as simply as possible, what withdrawal symptoms you are currently experiencing.  This is a list which you can use as a guide glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf

Please read the following and then ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic.  Please read Post #1 fully so that you understand the possible results of reinstating.  If you consider reinstating, please post here that you wish to do so and we can suggest a small dose which you could try.  Please do not go back on the dose you were last taking because your brain will have made adjustments since then.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I'm listing some links for you to check out. 

1. Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)
  2. Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
  3. OCD Obsessive Thoughts, Compulsive Behaviours
  4. Neuro Emotions
  5. Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety
  6. Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism
  7. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

You can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I suffer from the severest OCD,and anxiety, and now I think depression, and sheer terror at all my subsconscious thoughts which have completely taken over my whole mind. I have been imprisoned and castigated in my own mind. It is beyond explanation what is occuring on a millisecond basis. I seem to have entered some moral vortex, whereby I feel as if I am always doing wrong. Constantly confronted with "Heaven and Hell". Constantly feeling compelled to undo things, which for example I have written like here. Damned if I do or if I don't , this doesnt explain 1% of what is going on. It has brought into the fore the reason for everything and existence. I really have no idea what is going on, terrifies me the idea that no-one can have any idea of what is going on in my head. Yet on the other hand everybody is in my head, I don't know who is in my head and who isn't. Everything I say in my head is being judged.

I will not go any further for now as I am terrified of writing, and also it may not be entirely pertinent to the subject.

Welcome akrontes

Dont be terrified of writing im appreciating your writing....Wow what an amazing articulation of what we all have experienced. Know that you are not alone and that everything you write in your now crystalized journal is pertinent.

So glad you have added your great voice to this forum.

I suffer from the severest OCD,and anxiety, and now I think depression, and sheer terror at all my subsconscious thoughts which have completely taken over my whole mind.

Just wanted to point out these psychological distress words are the only words we have to describe this horror show however these are not the correct words at all to use. imo You are suffering withdrawal symptoms. Did you know OCD and the others are wdl symptoms?

Akrontes check out the above link from cc on neuro emotions.

It may answer a lot of questions.

welcome

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hello thank you for welcoming me to this site.

Just to give a bit of background I am 28years old male from London, United Kingdom.

I had regularly smoked skunk from Spring/Summer 2002 till Christmas Day 2007 when I stopped cold turkey.

I then was very paranoid and depressed perhaps.

I began taking paroxetine (20mg) in July 2008 prescribed by a doctor in Italy.

I then started university in Italy and was also put on Sodium Valproate and upped the dose of paroxetine to 40mg. 

I was also put on haloperidol which cause me to end up in A&E after a week of so, with it making my body seize up.

I then decided at some point during the following Spring 2009 to stop the Sodium Valproate and I think I reduced the paroxetine to 20mg.

In this period I was doing quite well and succesively in the summer stopped paroxetine and had a great month.

Then suddenly once into September things turned downwards, and I gradually started getting worse.

I started taking Citalopram which I stopped taking after a few weeks. I then returned home to London and was not attending my university.

This period I was depressed, quit paranoid and depressive, but it would be nothing like the withdrawals I would have after this.

I started taking 20mg of paroxetine again in February 2010, I don't remeber if I went up to 40mg - and went back to University, I was on this until the Summer, and after my exams stopped again.

This is when things really started getting bad. I was having all the physical symptoms, brain zaps etc, and was having the most absurd paranoia's, even hiding in the middle of the house to avoid the windows, I won't even go into my entirely irrational fears here. I then went back to Italy and was in an absolutely disastrous state, again I will not go into details here but rather outline the medication timeline principally. I then started taking venflaxine and sodium valproate again, which did not stop the paranoid, absurd fears I had now, but enabled me to trudge through life in a particularly terrible period in which my Father died.

I continued these medicines until Summer 2012 - and in this time I had managed to complete my degree.

I then stopped in the Summer and the fell into a real pit again, then was put on Sertraline in November 2012 which I took 50-100 until May 2016 mg, when I had a complete freak out at the end of April. I went to the doctor in Italy and he told me to stop taking the Sertraline and take Lithium and aripiprazole - I didn't - and so have not been taking anything for over 4 months, and am in the state I am now, if only words could describe it!

I would love to be free of the medicines but am wondering whether all this suffering will be worth it in the end.

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009 Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it. Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remember  if I went up to 40mg

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

No medications May 2016 - October 2016 Hospitalised - November 13th - 15 mg Mirtazapine until  6th December, decreased to 7.5 mg

Since 24 December been shaving off a little each day.  Now taking approx. 4 mg or 1/4 of 15 mg tablet.  Stopped reducing further for the moment.

Began reducing quite quickly again. Since about 9th June 2017 have stopped taking Mirtazapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome akrontes!

People do recover from taking psychiatric medications and from withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing them.

Your post above provides good detail about you medication and withdrawal history. It helps moderators and other members when we can see this history at a glance below every post you make.  Imagine if you had 10 pages of updates, questions, and replies. Any one trying to answer your question in 6 months would have to search for your post from Sept. 27.

Would you take a few mintutes to create signature that summarizes your history -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I have completed my signature now. It is difficult for me to know to what extent my severe ocd is part of the withdrawal, as it has been with me for so many years, and has developed and established itself in my head. I have no idea how I will ever get on top of it, it manages to take me down on every level. I will have a look at the neuro emotions, one of the million things that terrifies me is to what extent I am in control of this situation, or whether is my brain, nervous system getting back to normal, and this terrifies me in itself, am in constant existential turmoil! I am indeed very unsure right now how much time can resolve these issues? At this point though I do not even see much point on going back on the drugs, I could not even take that turmoil, but I am very pessimistic, it is my amazing Mother who is keeping me going and is very hopeful!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have been nearly 6 months off and am falling deeper and deeper. I have been thinking every second what to do, go back on medicine etc.

My Mother is very keen that I should stay off it and she is much more adamant about it being a withdrawal, unfortunately in my fragile state I doubt absoultely everything.

Tonight I have thought about it in a way that I have never really thought about it before though, in terms of me craving the drug. I am considering reinstating? I dropped from 100mg sertraline to 0 in the period of a week back in May.

Could I ask for your thoughts please? Thank you

Edited by scallywag
moved fron reinstating topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved your post from the reinstating topic to your own introduction because your question is about your individual situation.

You're outside the optimal time period, which next day - 3 months after last dose, for reinstating sertraline. There benefits and risks to testing a reinstatement dose and the risks of the reinstatement not working appear to increase with time. Question: Are you clear that there is a risk that a reinstatement could not affect your symptoms at the initial small dose, or make your symptoms worse?

From your signature

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

There's a lot of information in your current signature that isn't as relevant as it once was to your situation. When you have a moment, would you update your signature copying & pasting the above information?

Edited by scallywag
reworded statement about reinstatement risks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you

• 1 month later...

I have just joined this most valuable forum.  I am Akrontes' mother and very concerned about his withdrawal and would welcome some advice from all the good people on here.

Since he last posted on this forum, feeling desperate about a particular obsession that had been driving him crazy for some time and after 7 months cold turkey from Sertraline 50mg, he checked in for four days to a private psychiatric clinic in London where he was prescribed 15 mg of Mertazapine which he started on 14th November.  He took this dose for 15 days, and then, after reading all the negative reports of this medication,  cut his dose in half, down to 7.5 mg which he has taken to date.  He had a few days of some relief during this period and managed to socialize a bit and do a few shifts of temporary work but he has put on 10 Kgs in one month and feels a distinct lack of empathy to his family and friends.  

This last weekend, however,  his situation has started to deteriorate again and he has spent the last three days in a darkened room.  .He was initially drowsy, but today is quite distressed and feels that his life has finished.

We don't know what to do next.  He does not have a doctor, either a GP or psychiatrist, who is sympathetic to his desire to come off all medication.  He has only been taking the Mirtazapine for about one month and is reluctant to up the dose as he would prefer not to be taking it at all. 

As this new drug comes into his life after 7 months off Sertraline, we do not know what effect it will have on his recovery.

I am so concerned about him.  He does not want to post himself at this time, but I would very much welcome receiving your views as to how we can proceed.

Edited by KarenB
Merged posts from new Intro topic

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

I would be most grateful to receive some advice from someone.  Thank you

Edited by KarenB
merged from new topic

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

I am so sorry you are in this position caught between a rock and a hard place.

A gentle note that its only one intro thread per person. Im sure a mod will move this into his intro thread

This site is moderated by volunteers so you will have to be patient at this time.

Edited by KarenB
merged from new topic

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

We are really at a loss as to what to do next.  My son spends most of his day in bed in a darkened room where he feels most comfortable.  He feels he must be near an open window and the room is very cold.   I am at my wits end and don't know how we can carry on like this much longer. 

D.  As a mum myself , I understand how fragile and overwhelmed you must feel . I can empathize and understand but you will make it through this. We're here to help. You're not alone.

He cut Mirtazapine by half  - end of November . He's probably experiencing some of those withdrawal symptoms now. Is he still on 7.5mg Mirtazapine ?

I'll check with the other Mods on how to proceed from here.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

AliG

Thank you so much for your support.  Yes he is still taking 7.5 mg Mirtazapine.  He's very distressed, not hungry, has a headache and cannot do anything very much, although he does manage to get some sleep.

Could you take a few minutes to create a signature - with doses , dates , drugs , reinstatements and discontinuations?

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Thanks in advance.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Hi AliG

His withdrawal history is (hopefully) updated now.

This is what I filled in for the Glenmullen checklist. 1.Crying spells, 2. Worsened mood, 3. Low energy(fatigue, lethargy, malaise), 4. Trouble concentrating, 5. Insomnia or trouble sleeping, 6. Change in appetite, 7. Suicidal thoughts, 9. Anxious,nervous, tense, 13. Irritability, 14. Agitation (restlessness), 15. Impulsivity, 19. Confusion or cognitive difficulties, 26. Feeling detached or unreal, 27. Excessive or intense dreaming, 35. Nausea, 41. Spinning, swaying lightheaded, 42. Hung over or waterlogged feeling, 45. Headache, 54. Slurred speech, 56. Muscle cramps, stiffness, twitches

Thank You. :)  Unfortunately , that sounds about right. 

What is his best course of action now?

• Administrator

This is what I filled in for the Glenmullen checklist. 1.Crying spells, 2. Worsened mood, 3. Low energy(fatigue, lethargy, malaise), 4. Trouble concentrating, 5. Insomnia or trouble sleeping, 6. Change in appetite, 7. Suicidal thoughts, 9. Anxious,nervous, tense, 13. Irritability, 14. Agitation (restlessness), 15. Impulsivity, 19. Confusion or cognitive difficulties, 26. Feeling detached or unreal, 27. Excessive or intense dreaming, 35. Nausea, 41. Spinning, swaying lightheaded, 42. Hung over or waterlogged feeling, 45. Headache, 54. Slurred speech, 56. Muscle cramps, stiffness, twitches

akrontes, is this since you started taking mirtazapine or are these symptoms from before you took mirtazapine? What symptoms have diminished since you started mirtazapine?

What symptoms have gotten worse over the last several days?

Mirtazapine is notorious for weight gain.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Altostrata

Akrontes will reply to you soon.

Drugfreeprof.

Have sent you a PM.  Hope I did it right.  Still finding my way around here.

Thank you all so much for your support

Altostrada

Akrontes tells me the symptoms haven't changed much before and after starting on Mirtazapine.  He feels he cries less.

He seems to me a bit more drowsy and remote from his family.

Would very much welcome your view. Thank you so much

As he has been on Mirtazapine only 5 weeks, is it possible to start reducing the dosage now?

Your advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

• Administrator

We are really at a loss as to what to do next.  My son spends most of his day in bed in a darkened room where he feels most comfortable.  He feels he must be near an open window and the room is very cold.   I am at my wits end and don't know how we can carry on like this much longer. 

Why does he feel most comfortable in the above conditions?

Reducing the mirtazapine very gradually might lessen the drowsiness and weight gain. See Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Distraut,
I am amazed at the support you have shown for your son.  You seem like a loving mother for sure, with your son being so precious.  That is just amazing to me.  Many people do not have this kind of support.

Did you see the questions asked by Altostrata above?  Please answer her questions. I have placed them below to be helpful:

Why does he feel most comfortable in the above conditions?

Reducing the mirtazapine very gradually might lessen the drowsiness and weight gain. See Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Regarding the taper that Altostrata spoke about...  We suggest a 10% or less reduction per month, based on the most recent dose: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/  I do know that you were given this information before, but I want you to be clear on what she means by tapering. 

Did you read the tips for tapering off Remeron in the above quote? 
Here are the different methods for tapering from the Remeron/mirtazapine page:
1.With a digital scale: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/  At lower doses, I have seen others suggesting adding one of the weights that come with the scale to make it more accurate,  The weights are used for testing the scale, but they work well as extra weight.
2.In the UK, mirtazapine liquid is available from Rosemont Pharmaceuticals in Leeds. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/27430(look for the oral solution).
3.You may wish to make a suspension of it yourself with water or a pharmaceutical liquid such as Ora-Plus. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules Refrigerate the DIY suspension for up to 5 days, then discard. Water solubility of mirtazapine is "slight", so this may not be the best way to go.
4.With a prescription, you can have a liquid made by a compounding pharmacy. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1425-compounding-pharmacies-us-uk-and-elsewhere/
5.Compounding pharmacies can make a liquid from the tablets. You will need a prescription written for the custom compound. The only drawback is this can be quite expensive.
6.Reduce by making a liquid with the "orally disintegrating" tablets- You may be able to dissolve the orally disintegrating tablets ("Soltabs") in water and use an oral syringe to take a measured dosage. I couldn't find any reports of doing this but, since the orally disintegrating tablet is designed to dissolve in saliva, it seems likely to work.

Above 2, 4, 5 or 6 seem the easiest way to go.  I hope this info has made things easier in deciding how to slowly decrease the dose.

Please give any update- is he eating at all, or coming out of his room?

I hope he is feeling better, even a little!
Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Dear Altostrata and Skeeter

I did read the information about tapering.  But I wince every day he continues taking this medicine and we move into the second month.  I do not really think it has helped much at all with his obsession and in addition he has new problems.  He does not want to eat during the day, but gorges during the night. although his appetite is reduced from when he was taking 15mg for the first 15 days.  He is happiest in bed in a darkened room and as I mentioned, from when he started this new medication mid-November, he feels the need to be next to an open window. He cannot explain why.  He also is suffering from headaches and stiff neck and limbs, which I'm sure he didn't have before going onto Mirtazapine.   It is difficult to get him up and about, but he has gone out for a walk with a friend today.   He says he does not know who he is and can see no hope for the future.  He gets frustrated and irritable and keeps saying he has done everything wrong.  He is constantly thinking of the past, which although it might not good have been good at the time, seems rosy to him now.  He is a little less charged and anxious from when he was 7 months cold turkey, but somehow more remote. I would love him to be off this poison that he is currently taking.

But he has to find the determination within himself to realize that it is the medicine which is causing his problem and find some reserve of hope and patience that with time he will recover and for the moment that seems to be lacking.

Thank you so much for your input.

In addition, I am very uncertain as to whether Mirtrazapine was the right medication to reinstate with.

Thats why its always good to check in with sa to get a second opinion.

It makes it very hard to help pick up the pieces after the fact.

Im so sorry your family is in this situation. You are not alone this whole site is full of the iatrogenically harmed.

Recovering paxil addict

• Administrator

It sounds like the mirtazapine has affected his sugar metabolism. This can have far-reaching effects.

It sounds like the mirtazapine has affected his sugar metabolism. This can have far-reaching effects.

Could you please explain this further Altostrata? 

I will stay in touch with you through PM as well.

Thank you so much DrugfreeProf!

• Administrator

Read http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/1/170.2.full

This can affect energy and outlook.

It sounds like Akrontes might be light-sensitive. Can you ask him about this?

I have been reading the article on diabetes and Mirtazapine, which I'm not sure I fully understand and would be most grateful if you could explain it in simpler terms for us. 

But I was very concerned that when Paolo was put on 15mg of the drug, he was desperate to get his hands on sweets, chocolates and sugary drinks.  Since he reduced his dose to 7.5 mg this had reduced slightly.  He eats very little during the day but at  nighttime raids the fridge.  I am hiding all the sweet stuff as best I can - difficult over Christmas.  I would really like him to get off this medicine.  It has not helped much, if at all, in curbing his obsession, and the few small windows he got before he restarted the medicine seem now to have gone.

Would you advise starting a small tapering starting now?

Most grateful for your opinion

I will ask him about light sensitivity and get back to you.  I do know he hates waking in the morning.

I am agonizing now about him being on a medication which could cause a serious medical condition (diabetes), an immediate, demoralizing change in body shape and which has limited efficacy on curbing the fear of the obsession, whether it is worth starting a very slow taper right now, before he has been on it too long and adding Mirtazapine withdrawal to his previous problems.

He will have to be up for it, of course.

What suggestions do you have on this?

In addition, before starting the Mirtazapine in mid-November, he had experienced a couple of brief windows, something he hasn't experienced on the medication, nor do I know even whether this could still be expected.