Yubyub65: adverse vs withdrawal

Yubyub65

I will work on my signature this evening. My immediate issue is I did a drop from 15mg of Lexapro to 10mg about two to three months back. In the past that first jump was not a problem. I had a international business trip and agreed to a final hepatitis b shot, a flu shot and decided to try some doxycycline for my rosacea.

Four days later I started to get bad headaches behind my ears and at the top of my neck that even Advil was not helping with crazy sinus pain yet no mucus it almost felt like muscles squeezing (note I do have bad TMJ but this was new) then later in the week chest pain and some crying very easily. During the trip it was bad and returning went to the ER for chest pain and feeling of pressure at the base of my skull.

Also before the trip stopped doxy thinking it was a reaction. Heart Ok normal cardiac enzyme and clot test head pain they said was TMJ. Started getting nocturnal panic attacks on some nights and mild agoraphobia, then I started getting prickling feelings randomly all over body mainly in the late afternoon and evening. I am not hyperventilating when this occurs.

I decided to updise to 12.5 and have been there for about 10 days. It has stabilized the anxiety and crying for the most part but the burning and paresthesia and headaches are bad. Now I am scared that I am stuck with adverse reaction vs withdrawal or could this be a hepatitis b shot reaction?

I have followed up with my regular doc and psych doc and had even more blood work done and all normal. I also have a condition called meralgia parenthetica and this sensory symptoms are making it really bad. I am afraid to go up to 15 and afraid to go to 10. I do have bad health anxiety and that does not help the situation! Why does the nerve stuff only occur mainly at night?

Edited by scallywag
tags + paragraph breaks

GAD, Panic, Severe Health Anxiety/Somatization Disorder

SSRIs (Paxil and Lexapro) and Klonpin at various doses since late 90s

Alcohol abuse got bad 2008 Quit everything in summer 2009.

Fall 09 still alcohol free but reinstate messy got hospitalized at McClean for 10 days

March 2012 relapsed on drinking.  Two years pretty bad drinking on my Lexapro.

Still slipping into 2016 with some good patches.  Dropped to 10mg Lexapro in late summer.

November 4th stopped drinking but days later all hell broke loose.  

Dec 4th 0.5mg Klonopin added (I know not a good idea this early into not drinking)

• Moderator Emeritus

yubyub -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

There were several new inputs at the same time -- change in Lexapro dose, hep B shot, flu vaccination, addition of doxycycline. It will be difficult for us to sort out what is the source of your symptoms.

The reduction from 15 mg to 10 mg Lexapro was a big one. Despite the fact that the same 33% decrease caused no problems previously, our CNS (central nervous system) won't always react the same way, as you found out the hard way. We suggest that people reduce dose by no more than 10% every month.
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You've been at 12.5 mg for 10 days. In your situation, I'd be inclined to hold steady at 12.5 mg for a full 4 weeks, while observing and recording my symptoms. Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms

Symptom patterns often reveal whether you're experiencing an adverse effect or a withdrawal symptom.

Stability of inputs (meds & doses) is our best friend. Please read
3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.

Here are links to topics with information relevant to your situation:
Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)
Parasthesia

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Wound up at the ER yesterday overwhelmed by physical and emotional symptoms. They did tell me to follow up with neurology.

Each morning I take my 12.5 mg Lexapro and first few hours I am not that bad. Some roaming paresthesias near hips and on trunk and some times hands. Afternoon headaches and that is new for me but they seem very TMJish but three ibuprofen only takes the edge off and that has me nervous and down due to the pain impact.

But it is the increase in prickling and occasional burning in the evening along with some bad nerve pain in my upper jaw both sides. (Luckily that is not each night but the neuro muscular symptoms are) a few night when eating I thought there was a hair in my food and it was just small minor nerve numbness in a small part of my lip. I don't get this during the day.

I passed all the basics neuro tests at the hospital but they did not feel an emergency MRI was needed due to no signs of any weakness. CBC blood diff kidney test electrolytes, glucose all fine.

The only supplement I seem to handle is magnesium chelates bisglycinate and it seems to help a bit. I tried a acetyl l carnitine two days and it made me worse I think. I guess to some up the neuro symptoms increasing at night only have me fearful that I have a real neuro issue independent of the Lexapro.

Edited by scallywag
add paragraph breaks for readability

Fall 09 still alcohol free but reinstate messy got hospitalized at McClean for 10 days

Still slipping into 2016 with some good patches.  Dropped to 10mg Lexapro in late summer.

Dec 4th 0.5mg Klonopin added (I know not a good idea this early into not drinking)

• Moderator Emeritus

It seems you are noticing a pattern of symptoms throughout the day. It can be helpful to keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s) and supplements, and then post the notes for a few days here in your introduction. This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...

OK decided to lay all cards on the table by adding my signature.

I take 12.5 MG Lexapro 1 + 1/4 10mg pill each morning at 6am.  0.5mg Klonopin each evening around 9PM

I have been holding at the 12.5MG Lexapro for over six weeks and mentally have stabilized a lot but health wise not as much.

The year I got out of the mental hospital I had so many of the symptoms I have now and dropped to 10mg out of fear and bruxism issues.  I got a new psychiatrist the following year and he had me go up to 12.5 hold, then to 15.  Most of my issues went away but the drinking may have hid some.

Long story short I am now developing a symptom I had in 2010 that waxed and wained for a few day but now is back and feeling like it may stay and that is a form of Pudendal Neuralgia.  I suspect either Lexapro sensitivity or tolerance withdrawal from Klonopin is causing the issue due to me frying my GABA receptors.  I am leaning towards the SSRI as I was Benzo free for 4.5 years.  For those of you with no substance abuse issues and issues far worse than mine I feel guilty even posting.

One other thing to add and maybe this is cortisol or part of some larger pelvic issue.

Each of the last few mornings I get up after sleeping through the entire night without waking to urninate (I guess for a 45 year old man I should consider that a good thing)

Then I get up go and with a restricted stream yet no pain.  Then I go downs stairs take my meds and lay down on the couch if it is a weekend.  After a bit I get sort of like mild chills and goosebumps in my flank region then get up and do a full urination.  Not a little.  Then lay back down and within 45 minutes do this again.  Then sometimes  third time.  Then for the rest of the day I have somewhat normal urination patterns and I stay well hydrated.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well 86 days with no alcohol. I have decided I need to be far more along with not drinking and working through some problems before I do a taper. I feel way more stable mentally than a few weeks back but unfortunately not so much physically but I will just pray that stabilizes as time goes along.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well done!  That's good news about not drinking alcohol for 86 days.

It's probably a good idea to wait a bit before you taper.  Maybe keep notes on paper and rate your symptoms so that you can see what improvements there have been.  Sometimes the improvements can be small and may not be recognised.  Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Well 124 day of no alcohol.

I am in a bind as my psychiatrist is also my therapist. Do due my complaining about adverse reactions he asked me to try Genomind genetic test and I just got the results. Now he did it hoping to show me other options yet I agreed hoping to have some vindication and I got it sort of. For the Seratonin Transport gene SLC6A4 I have S/S. High risk of non response and adverse reactions. I agree to adverse reaction but on both Lexapro and Paxil I noticed mood uplift in 24-48 hours. Maybe it was mild mania that I mistake for feeling good?

Also interesting is for 5HT2C I am C/C highest risk for weight gain from atypical antipsychotics. I am already way to heavy from Lexapro and lifestyle but now I can back up my hesitation on those. Due to my nerve pain complaints and this test he is pushing hard for me to try a low dose of Nortyptiline (10mg) and saying we could then lower the Lexapro. Part of me is temped to say give me liquid Lexapro then and fib about the nortriptiline. I am not crazy about him as a therapist so I may search for a new therapist and ultimately do the water taper on my own when ready.

iam also angry with the results as so many of my reactions have been passed off as somatic and anxiety. On the liver metabolism side I am normal on all but CYP1A2 1F/1F so that is an ultra rapid metabolism in the presence of inducers like cigarettes. This only effects Luvox, Remeron and Anafranil and to lesser extent Cymbalta. I don't smoke and have no plans to take any of those!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

And another well done! on being alcohol free.

You don't need the psychiatrist to prescribe.  Any doctor can write the script/s you need.  Have a read of the following for ideas on how to talk to the medical profession and on tips on asking for what you need:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

True the problem is my sleep apnea doctor, primary care doctor and psychiatrist are all part of a major Boston hospital and all notes are in the system. I will figure something out when I am ready. I am still focusing on getting more stable for the next few months anyways.

• 1 month later...

OK on the positive front I have now hit six months with no alcohol. I think around 2 months ago I dropped to 10mg and still on 0.5mg Klonopin. The drop was good on the nerve side but not so good for other things like joints and other crazy symptoms.

Her is my pattern. I take the 10mg each morning between 6:30-7:00 without fail I find that my joint and muscle issues start or peak around noon. From my research this is peak plasma level time. This and other symptoms are helped a bit by eating. I get a second wave of symptoms peaking around 6-7 pm again helped slightly by eating. My most frustrating symptom is like a form of chostocondritis in my chest where I get a burning or feeling like my chest fat is heavy or something. It is not an all day thing luckily.

Also I caved in and took one 10mg pill of the nortriptiline and the next day my prostate flared up like crazy and all my othe r symptoms increased like I kicked a hornets nest. That was 10 days ago and tossed it in the trash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi yubyub,

I was searching for burning, and op found your thread, I'm very sorry for what you have been going through!

I'm the one probably endeared the most severe and longest burning pain all over my head, face, neck, back and just had the worst burning day today. It's very painful and deep, often times like millions needles poking into my brain, and allover into every single cell of me. I tried so hard to figure out if it's from WD or drug reaction but often times feel confused.

How is the burning going with you now ? I read it started since you updosed Lexapro. Did you find dropping dose helped ?

Hope you can get some breaks from all your symptoms.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 2 years later...

Titled:  Switching back to Lexapro, hospitalized.

I was just released from inpatient and will post a full backstory later.  I have been on Lexapro for over 10 years at 15 and 10mg dosages but was doing a year long Ativan taper from 2.5 mg and was at 0.5 but crashed a bit going to 0.375.  Went back up to 0.5 but was still struggling then sleep stopped.  

Tried Trazadone 50mg for ten days and it gave me a form of akathisia and some form of male PGAD, 25 mg on tenth night and stopped but had self harm thoughts and went inpatient.  Agreed to a med change for family but want to switch back the Cymbalta but want advice. Each day stuck to 0.5 Ativan as I refused to updose. The agree to split it for me 0.25 twice a day. I will keep Mirt for now as I won’t be able to work.

I stopped traz the night before I went in as my gut told me it was that. 

Friday Ambien 10mg Lexapro 10mg

Saturday Mirtazapine 3.75mg Lex 10mg

Sunday Mirt 7.5mg Lex 10mg (akathisia started to lift and urge to pace faded)

Monday Mirt 7.5mg Lex 10mg

Tuesday Mirt 7.5 Lex 10mg Cymbalta 20

Wednesday Mirt 7.5 Lex 10mg Cymbalta 20

Thursday Mirt 7.5 Lex 5mg Cymbalta 20

Friday Mirt 7.5 Lex 5mg Cymbalta 30

Saturday - Today Mirt 7.5 Cymbalta 30

On Wednesday noticed my distance vision was getting very bad yet not my up close vision.  Each of the last three mornings I get various symptoms and general aches but Advil helps. Afternoons are better except for the vision and the PGAD mainly experienced in prostate and towards rectum flares, but the past two days it starts earlier on the day.  So my gut is telling me to get back in Lexapro.  I took 2.5mg when I got home.  I am functional at the moment so  that is a blessing but my world has collapsed in just three weeks.  

Note:  18 months ago my doc had me go up to 15 mg Lexapro and it was terrible and I stuck it out for two weeks and could not take the symptoms.  So went to 12.5 for a week and back to 10mg and it took a month to recover and that wa the first time I ever got a form of PGAD but it went a way and this time it is much stronger.  I am prone to pelvic and ocular reactions to my psych drugs.

Should I do 5mg tomorrow and 30 Cymbalta? Then just drop Cymbalta as it has been just a week? Or should I weigh out the beads for a few days?

Edited by manymoretodays
Typography, merged to Introduction #1

I know this was a long post. Main question: After 8 days can I just go back to Lexapro and drop the Cymbalta or should I do a mini cross taper of say 15 Cymbalta and 5 Lexapro for two to three days then back to just 10 of Lex?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Yubyub65, and welcome back, @Yubyub65

We like to keep members to just one introduction, thank you.  So I've merged your 2nd introduction back here with your first.

Added the title, 2 posts up.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, Yubyub65 said:

I know this was a long post. Main question: After 8 days can I just go back to Lexapro and drop the Cymbalta or should I do a mini cross taper of say 15 Cymbalta and 5 Lexapro for two to three days then back to just 10 of Lex?

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

^ take a look, and you can edit/update, don't forget to add the year(s) as well.

We are a site for tapering and support of WD, and WD syndrome.

However, I will go ahead and flag your most recent post, for further moderator input.

Can you give us a day of notes, right here, post it on your introduction page.

Keep daily notes

^ there is even a sample note to refer to and guide you in doing this.

This can really help give you and us information, which is so helpful before making any suggestions.

And okay, welcome back.  Do your best with what I have asked.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, Yuby.

We haven't heard from you since 2017, when it seemed you had antidepressant withdrawal syndrome complicated by benzo withdrawal and drinking alcohol. Now you're taking an entirely different bunch of drugs.

Have you discussed your current situation with your doctors? What did they tell you?

It's really up to your doctors to fine-tune your drug cocktail.

This is a site for tapering off drugs. What questions can we answer for you?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...
On 1/9/2017 at 12:07 AM, Yubyub65 said:

One other thing to add and maybe this is cortisol or part of some larger pelvic issue.

Each of the last few mornings I get up after sleeping through the entire night without waking to urninate (I guess for a 45 year old man I should consider that a good thing)

Then I get up go and with a restricted stream yet no pain.  Then I go downs stairs take my meds and lay down on the couch if it is a weekend.  After a bit I get sort of like mild chills and goosebumps in my flank region then get up and do a full urination.  Not a little.  Then lay back down and within 45 minutes do this again.  Then sometimes  third time.  Then for the rest of the day I have somewhat normal urination patterns and I stay well hydrated.  

Hi. Did that symptom eventually resolve for you? I got it now too, four years into withdrawal! Grateful for your feedback and any reassurance. Thank you! 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

On 12/20/2016 at 10:33 PM, Yubyub65 said:

I will work on my signature this evening. My immediate issue is I did a drop from 15mg of Lexapro to 10mg about two to three months back. In the past that first jump was not a problem. I had a international business trip and agreed to a final hepatitis b shot, a flu shot and decided to try some doxycycline for my rosacea.

Four days later I started to get bad headaches behind my ears and at the top of my neck that even Advil was not helping with crazy sinus pain yet no mucus it almost felt like muscles squeezing (note I do have bad TMJ but this was new) then later in the week chest pain and some crying very easily. During the trip it was bad and returning went to the ER for chest pain and feeling of pressure at the base of my skull.

Also before the trip stopped doxy thinking it was a reaction. Heart Ok normal cardiac enzyme and clot test head pain they said was TMJ. Started getting nocturnal panic attacks on some nights and mild agoraphobia, then I started getting prickling feelings randomly all over body mainly in the late afternoon and evening. I am not hyperventilating when this occurs.

I decided to updise to 12.5 and have been there for about 10 days. It has stabilized the anxiety and crying for the most part but the burning and paresthesia and headaches are bad. Now I am scared that I am stuck with adverse reaction vs withdrawal or could this be a hepatitis b shot reaction?

I have followed up with my regular doc and psych doc and had even more blood work done and all normal. I also have a condition called meralgia parenthetica and this sensory symptoms are making it really bad. I am afraid to go up to 15 and afraid to go to 10. I do have bad health anxiety and that does not help the situation! Why does the nerve stuff only occur mainly at night?

Hi there, Did the meralgia/neurological  symptom eventually resolve for you? I got them now too, four years into withdrawal! Grateful for your feedback and any reassurance. Thank you! 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.