MedStressed: Curious About Stopping Meds

MedStressed

Hello everyone. New to this site. So as my signature states I have quite the med history. Ive suffered from depression and social anxiety since college. I've been stressed lately because ever since I've stopped methadone in than 5 months ago my depression and anxiety/social anxiety has come back full force. My psych keeps trying me on different SSRIS non of which provide much relief. I get this hot tense feeling in my head especially in the morning and I get these gagging spells throughout the day - of which have increased since I started Luvox. I'm interested in stopping meds because they make me tired, apathetic, and obviously loose interest in sex which is difficult for my wife - and they don't even seem to be effective! Wanted to touch base here to see what yall recommend, if I should come off these meds or give the luvox a try. I am currently on klonopin 1mg a day and just started the luvox. I would LOVE to be off meds because I have no idea how they are effecting my brain but an terrified to be off of them at the same time due to my high anxiety. Any advice would be great! Thanks@

Lexapro 20 mg for about 10 years stopped in August. Methadone 20 mg from 2010 to July 2016. Symbiax for 1.5 months in August. Zoloft 2 weeks in September. Effexor 6 weeks in Sept October. Seroquel 150mg 1 month Nov-December. Klonopin 1 mg daily from September to present. Luvox 50 mg started Dec 16th.

Lexapro for about 10 years stopped in August.

Methadone from 2010 to July 2016.

Symbiax for 1.5 months in August.

Zoloft 2 weeks in September.

Effexor 6 weeks in Sept October.

Seroquel 1 month Nov-December.

Klonopin 1 mg daily from September to present.

Luvox 50 mg started Dec 16th. Is my previous medication use

Edited by scallywag
created list from sentences in paragraph

Lexapro 20 mg for about 10 years stopped in August. Methadone 20 mg from 2010 to July 2016. Symbiax for 1.5 months in August. Zoloft 2 weeks in September. Effexor 6 weeks in Sept October. Seroquel 150mg 1 month Nov-December. Klonopin 1 mg daily from September to present. Luvox 50 mg started Dec 16th.

• Moderator Emeritus

MedStressed -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

How did you discontinue Lexapro in August -- cold turkey, taper over __ weeks, other approach?

What are your current symptoms? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

Looking at your medication and withdrawal history, I assert that you've been experiencing withdrawal symptoms from having discontinued Lexapro in August 2016. The medications you've taken since then have been ineffective at reducing your symptoms. Please read the discussion at the following links to get a sense of what's been happening in your CNS (central nervous system):

What is withdrawal syndrome

One theory of anti-depressant withdrawal syndrome
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Because your the medication you took the longest was Lexapro and your current one is Luvox, I'll post these links for reference:
Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)
Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Please have a look at the topics I've linked and answer the questions I've asked. If you have any questions, just post them here in your introduction topic as a new reply.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

That's funny cause my pdoc says I shouldn't be withdrawing from the Lexapro after 5 months. He wants me to continue the Luvox to see if it will help with my anxiety. Don't know what do do. I feel like meds may be necessary for some, not site of I should stop or not. I quit the Lexapro CT, went right to Symbiax because I became very depressed after getting off methadone and the Lexapro was not helping