SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jescowhite: PSSD Cure: Can i take Inositol and Bupropion(Wellbutrin) together?

jescowhite

Hello everyone ,

At first i would like to introduce myself.

I am a 24 year old boy from Italy and have been taking citalopram for several months. The exact time you can see in my signature. Already during the intake of citalopram I noticed a strongly sunken libido and I could not hold any strong erections anymore. As many of you were told me that these side effects disappear at the settle. Now I have stopped the drug  since june and the sexual dysfunction have become worse. I still can get only a lacking erection. Genital numbness is present throughout and the libido is equally very low. So I unfortunately suffer as many others of PSSD and have already tried various supplements, but I could not see any improvement. My next try for a cure would be bupropion(150mg daily) and inositol (18mg daily). I have read that different people have noticed with these medications improvements. Now to my question:

Can I take these 2 supplements (bupropion and inositol) together? My psychiatrist said it would not be a problem, but he can not imagine that inositol would change anything. I would take 150mg bupropion in the morning and in 18g inositol in the evening. So would you say that its Okay if i try a medication by connecting this 2 supplements together or would you rather to took first bupropion for 4 weeks and maybe after inositol if nothing changes.

Im sorry for my bad english and i hope to get some advice!

Greets, jescowhite

• Moderator Emeritus

jescowhite -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Bupropion is an antidepressant medication, NOT a supplement. I strongly suggest that you investigate the interactions are between bupropion and citalopram before taking the combination. You can check for interactions at this link:

Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

Here are links to topics on our site that are relevant to your situation:
Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram),
Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin XR, SR, XL (bupropion),
Inositol

PSSD is not well-studied at this time. The mechanism of action by which SSRI medications such as citalopram cause sexual dysfunction are not well understood and therefore there is no accepted "gold-standard" for treatment. Any doctor or therapist who says that taking a supplement or another medication will cure this is not telling you the truth. Any and all treatments for this are experimental -- they may work for some people but not for others. Here's a link to our discussion on PSSD:
PSSD: post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Sorry to tell you buddy but PSSD is not cured by taking anything.  Taking anything to "cure" bad stuff caused by antidepressants is frowned upon here by site admins. I agree with this as there really is no definitive cause or cure to pssd unfortunately.  My friend, only time will tell if you get better.   

Bupropion is not a supplement, it is a dopamine inhibitor.  With PSSD, the LAST thing you want to do is further disrupt your neurotransmitters.  This is what got us into this mess in the first place.

I was on Celexa for several years before developing PSSD, trust me, I know how it feels.  

Mid 2006-Early 2013  Celexa 40 MG, Xanax .50, Trazadone 50 MG - No problems with side effects

Very fast-few weeks taper in Early 2013 off all medication.

Crashed summer 2013 Went back on all meds same dosage (different brand of Celexa) Sept 2013. 

Sexual Side Effects (which I never had before) begun December 2013.  Off Celexa February 2014.  Xanax remained while Trazadone done in August 2014.

Continue to experience complete PSSD to this day with sadly no signs of improvement yet.