Waiting12: needing advice

Waiting12

Hi Waiting,

I was just curious how you were doing. You story is very similar to mine and I just wanted to reach out and support you. I am also suffering from debilitating protracted withdrawal from sertraline. HELL ON EARTH!

I was put on sertraline 75mg for 2.5 yrs (2014-2017) for postpartum depression. During that time I also sought counseling for a more holistic approach. My counselor determined that I was bipolar 2 or soft bipolar because I had irritability along with depression so she referred me to the Psychiatric NP in ther practice. The NP decided to wean me off of the sertraline (1 month wean) and added latuda. I was on latuda for 4 months when heightened anxiety, insomnia, and SEVERE akathisia kicked in. I suffered for a month. The NP insisted the side effects would subside - they didn't. I was also put on 100mg of lamictal 2 months after she started me on latuda. I begged the NP to take me off the latuda due to the side effects and weaned off in 6 weeks. A week after I stopped the latuda, I voluntarily checked myself into the psych hospital for emotional distress and severe suicidal depression.

At the hospital, they determined I had been misdiagnosed and abruptly took me off the lamictal. They reinstated 150mg of sertraline which took me out of my depressive episode. A week after I was released I ended up back in psych hospital due to serotonin syndrome. They ct me off of 150mg of sertraline. As I began to feel better, they reinstated sertraline 25mg and sent me on my way with an Rx for sertraline 50mg. The first dose of sertraline 50mg brought back all the serotonin syndrome symptoms. I stopped ct.

Looking back at my drug and withdrawal history, I am convinced that the first episode which landed me in the hospital was due to the protracted withdrawal from the sertraline and the latuda wean was merely coincidental. I have about 95% of the symptoms you have and feel like I'm losing my mind. I am still in great emotional distress: rage, apathy, severe depression, suicidal thoughts, etc. I can barely take care of myself. I am also the mother of two children under the age of 5 which makes it quite challenging.

I've read the following multiple times: YOU WILL GET BETTER/HEAL...

That's what keeps me going even during my darkest days with intense fear that I will be "stuck" like this. TERROR is what I felt today, but I'm going to end this on a positive note. WE WILL GET BETTER. WE WILL HEAL. And we will be more appreciative of everything in our life when we make it through the other side.

May you heal swiftly and gracefully...

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

Tryingtoholdon I posted my reply to your thread. Hang in there dear.

I have a random question for anyone. I'm a tobacco smoker and have been for about 6 or so years. If I ever get through this withdrawal from SSRIs am I doomed to fall into this hell again when quitting nicotine in the future? I've read each withdrawal is worse. I can't imagine a worse than this but one day I want to be completely drug free. I know this isn't a quitting smoking site and I'm nowhere near where I need to be to do so, but everyone here is very knowledgeable on all things withdrawal related so I thought I'd ask.

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

• Mentor

I have a random question for anyone. I'm a tobacco smoker and have been for about 6 or so years. If I ever get through this withdrawal from SSRIs am I doomed to fall into this hell again when quitting nicotine in the future? I've read each withdrawal is worse. I can't imagine a worse than this but one day I want to be completely drug free. I know this isn't a quitting smoking site and I'm nowhere near where I need to be to do so, but everyone here is very knowledgeable on all things withdrawal related so I thought I'd ask.

I quit smoking 31 yrs ago and honestly, once you are committed to doing it, it's pretty easy. and compared to psych med withdrawal, it's easy peasy. You'll breeze thru it. In fact, if you can manage to quit now, I believe a lot of your WD symptoms will lessen and you'll feel a lot better overall.

how much do you smoke now? if your at a pack or less per day you can probably quit without much difficulty. The physical symptoms are only bad for about a week, if that, then it's mostly the craving and the habit part of it, and those are gone in a month.

If you plan ahead for it, it's a lot easier.

For instance, smoking involves sucking in on a cig, right? so, one thing to substitute for that is drinking thru a straw. It can help some ppl (helped me a lot)

Smoking also involves putting something in your mouth, so what I did was, I got these fat pretzel rods and would walk around holding one of those like a cig, and suck on the end of it from time to time, letting the pretzel dissolve in my mouth.

if you usually have coffee or some other drink with a cig, change what you drink and when you drink it, if you can.

just think of all the times you'd usually be having a cigarette and try to find things you can do instead.

Another thing cigs do, is raise your heart rate. I missed this part of smoking, so what I found I could do instead was to jump rope, it gets your heart rate up very fast, just like a cig does. Walking up stairs can do the same thing. This will also help with any constipation you may have from quitting.

Honestly, anyone who has gone thru AD WD is going to find quitting smoking crazy easy!

you'll be able to smell things better and food will taste better, too.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thank you so much H2H. All very good information and congrats on being smoke free and sticking to it! I do worry that since it's a stimulant it isn't helping me heal and of course its terrible for my health. I smoke less than a pack a day. However, I know right now is not the time that I can deal with any added symptoms or severity of. I am glad you told me it is easy compared to this. It's supposedly only supposed to last 1-4 weeks, but so was SSRI wd (according to drs). You see my confusion. Basically wondering if I'm in for a worse time because of the hell im going through now. You know, sensitized CNS and all. I'm worried about the mental aspect of it. I wish I would've quit before all this but I was blindsided by this situation. I just had no idea this could even happen.

Edited by ChessieCat
changed member name

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

• Mentor

I can't imagine that quitting smoking would make WD worse, to be honest but I guess anything is possible. To me, it's along the same lines of improving your diet during WD, anything you do that's healthier for you, "should", at least to my mind, be better for you and make WD easier, not harder......
BUT I don't know that to be a fact; hopefully someone who has actually quit during WD will come along with input. You might want to try PMing Frogie, she quit smoking and I believe she was also weaning off 4 meds at the same time. I'm pretty sure she's been smoke- free for a year now, maybe longer. I"ll ask her to peek in on your thread ok?

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Hi Waiting12-

First YOU want to quit, or it won't happen.

I quit smoking a year ago in March. It was really easy for me, but I used chantix. I smoked for over 30 years.

You can smoke the first week on it, while it builds up in your body, then you quit smoking but continue the chantix.

It is an rx you have to get from your dr.

I didn't have any problems with WD. I had already WD from 5 meds and was in the middle of tapering Lexapro.

I'm now having extreme nausea from tapering Lexapro, but has nothing to do with quitting smoking.

I feel so much better not smoking. I can breathe, and I don't smell. I smoked outside in the snow, rain and heat, never in my house.

You won't regret it. I don't crave it at all.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hello Waiting. I wanted to stop by since you visited my journal. Your story is soooo similar to mine and I can identify very well with all of your symptoms. The only thing that stands out as being very different is that I took 4 years to taper the last drug I got thrown at me wheras you just stopped.

I hope you find it comforting to know that those endless days of irrational terror, anxiousness,and the intense DR (derealization) are almost hard for me to recall. Eventually the windows got longer and the waves got smaller and (for me) 18 months later I never again had akathesia or that hideous terrified feeling again. Even now, years later, its never returned. I still have effects and waves now, but I only feel slightly depressed, milder DR than I used to and anxious in the morning and then some neuro emotions and very irritable (which ties in with my menstrual cycle mainly). I used to break my day into pieces, knowing the worst passed by 11am or so, the afternoon was another hurdle and things peaked around 3-4pm, and after that it got better and evenings were always more tolerable. I kept busy as much as possible, I was a stay at home mom at the time and my kids went to school so I tried to run errands and leave the house as much as possible, it helped to keep my mind off the horrible thoughts.

It will get better, its all temporary and amazingly the brain can function normally again despite the tidal waves of madness that crash through it. It will get better, its slow and unpredictable but it happens.

Aberdeen,

I'm only a month out from being med free. I, too, am a stay at home mom. How in the world did you manage to take of yourself and your kids! Today I feel like jumping off the nearest bridge. Luckily, some very dear friends are watching my kids this week, but I have no idea how to manage next week. Any tips, insight, etc would be greatly appreciated. You sound like an amazingly strong woman.

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

Thanks Waiting! Just responded on my thread. :)

Thanks frogie! Congrats on being smoke free that is awesome. So you didn't notice an increase in anxiety/depression/insomnia or anything when you quit? Is that was the chantix was for? To eliviate wd and cravings? I definitely want to and will quit. I'm just unsure if during this is a good time. Thank you for your answers!

Drug free 12-16-2016

Thanks frogie! Congrats on being smoke free that is awesome. So you didn't notice an increase in anxiety/depression/insomnia or anything when you quit? Is that was the chantix was for? To eliviate wd and cravings? I definitely want to and will quit. I'm just unsure if during this is a good time. Thank you for your answers!

Hi-

You are welcome. Chantix makes you not want to smoke.

I did WD 5 meds while I was quitting and it didn't bother me at all. No anxiety, depression or insomnia.

It was worth it to me.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Good luck being smoke free. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Wow! Way to go! Wd from 5 meds and quit nicotine?.. amazing! I'm glad it all went well! Maybe it won't be as awful as I think haha. I've never tried to quit so naturally my wd brain assumes the worst. Thanks again!

Drug free 12-16-2016

Wow! Way to go! Wd from 5 meds and quit nicotine?.. amazing! I'm glad it all went well! Maybe it won't be as awful as I think haha. I've never tried to quit so naturally my wd brain assumes the worst. Thanks again!

You can do it if you put your mind to it. Just another drug.

Now I'm fighting Lexapro. I feel like a failure with it. I'm updosing in the morning again, too much nausea. Like starting over. :(

Then on to Xanax and I'm free!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi. Just wanted to give you some info on Chantix. My friend had an adverse reaction from it, so it's wise to do your research if you choose to go that route.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chantix-dangers-government-attention-study/story?id=14868835

No disrespect to you, Frogie. Glad it helped you and was a good drug for you!

~Trying

• Mentor

Hi. Just wanted to give you some info on Chantix. My friend had an adverse reaction from it, so it's wise to do your research if you choose to go that route.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chantix-dangers-government-attention-study/story?id=14868835

No disrespect to you, Frogie. Glad it helped you and was a good drug for you!

~Trying

just wanted to add to what Trying said about chantix, it has a black box warning: http://www.rxlist.com/chantix-drug.htm

here's some interesting info I found about quitting smoking: http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/quit-smoking-timeline

I also found this: 

"How long does it take for nicotine withdrawal?
Because the first two weeks are so critical in determining quitting failure rates, smokers should not be shy about seeking all the help they can during this period. Withdrawal symptoms begin as soon as four hours after the last cigarette, generally peak in intensity at three to five days, and disappear after two weeks."

and this:

"Withdrawal symptoms make it harder to quit nicotine products and most methods for quitting smoking involve reducing nicotine withdrawal. The most common symptoms are irritability, anxiety and difficulty concentrating. Depression and insomnia are the least common."

I'm surprised to see anxiety etc listed as WD symptoms, I don't recall having those...I can assure you, if they happen at all, it won't be anything like the anxiety etc that comes with WD off psych meds.

I don't believe that nicotine remodels your brain the way that psych drugs do. I could be wrong, but I can't find anything that suggests that it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the info on nicotine. I will quit at some point in the future, but I'll wait til I feel healthier and ready.

I just wanted to post something so I didn't forget. I haven't had a good clear window for a couple months now. I've had better days and bad days and the occasional unbearable day. I sort of lost all expectations of windows and just thought maybe things would slowly evolve for me over time. Well last night as I was laying in bed I had the most beautiful window. The fear and sadness left me. I was filled with joy, bliss, stillness, calm, and optimism. It was so beautiful I actually cried tears of joy. I don't think I've ever cried happy tears in my life until last night. I could think about my future and everything seemed just right. There was nothing to worry about. All the stress of wd just melted away. I'm sure I fell asleep with a smile on my face. How wonderful.

Drug free 12-16-2016

I`m glad to know you experienced something pleasant for change. I totally get it what it feels like. I`m looking forward to this moment to come again.

05/06/2015-05/21/2015 Zoloft C/T, 05/2015-08/2015 Clonazepam 2x0.5mg (reduced to 0 during one month), 05/2015-08/2015 Trazodone 150mg (last month 100mg, reduced to 0 during 7 days), 09/2015-07/2016 Clonazepam reinstated after one month off to 2x0.25mg (benzo free since July 28, 2016), 09/2016 Escitalopram 5mg (10 days), 10/2015-04/2016 Venlafaxine 150mg (3 months) 75mg (3 months) C/T, 01/2016-04/2016 Olanzapine 2.5mg C/T, 04/2016-05/2016 Lamictal 100mg (5 weeks, reduced to 0 during 7 days)), 08/02/2016-08/16/2016 Valdoxan 25mg C/T,

08/23/2016-09/21/2016 Venlafaxine 75 mg (reduced to 0 during 7 days),

07/27/2016-10/10/2016 Buspirone 3x5mg (Oct. 1-3; 5mg-2.5mg-2.5mg,)(Oct.4-5; 2.5mg-2.5mg-2.5mg)(Oct. 6-8; 2.5mg-2.5mg-0)(Oct. 9; 2.5mg-0-0),

10/25/2016 - reinstated Buspirone 3x5mg (Dec.13-19; 5mg-2.5mg-5mg) (Dec.19-Jan.1; 5mg, 2.5mg, 2.5mg) (Jan.2-11; 2.5mg, 2.5mg, 2.5mg) (Jan.2-19;1.67mg, 1.67mg, 1.67mg) (Jan.20-27; 0.83mg, 0.83mg, 0.83mg) (Jan.28-Feb.05; 1mg, 1mg)(Feb.6-0mg)

08/10/2016 - Mirtazapine 30mg (01/26/2017-02/19/2017, 27mg) (02/20/2017-03/05/2017, 25.5mg) (03/06/2017-03/12/2017, 24mg) (03/12/2017-03/19/2017, 23mg) (03/20/2017-04/02/2017, 22mg) (04/03/2017-04/16/2017, 21mg) (04/17/2017-05/12/2017, 20mg) (05/13/2017-05/22/2017, 19mg) (05/23/2017-06/09/2017, 18mg) (06/10/2017-06/16/2017, 17.5mg) (06/17/2017-06/23/2017, 17mg) (06/24/2017-06/30/2017, 16.5mg) (07/01/2017-07/14/2017, 16mg) (07/15/2017-07/23/2017, 15.5mg) (07/24/2017-08/31/2017, 15mg) (09/01/2017-09/10/2017, 14.5mg) (09/11/2017-09/30/2017, 14mg) (10/01/2017-10/26/2017, 13.5mg) (10/27/2017-11/04/2017, 13mg) (11/05/2017-11/18/2017, 12.5mg) (11/19/2017-12/08/2017, 12mg) (12/09/2017-12/15/2017, 11.75mg) (12/16/2017-12/28/2017, 11.5mg) (12/29/2017-01/11/2018, 11mg) (01/12/2018-01/25/2018, 10.5mg) (01/26/2018-02/08/2018, 10mg) (02/09/2018-02/22/2018, 9.5mg) (02/23/2018-03/08/2018, 9mg) (03/09/2018-03/22/2018, 8.5mg) (03/23/2018-04/05/2018, 8mg) (04/06/2018-04/27/2018, 7.5mg) (04/28/2018-05/05/2018, 7.13mg) (05/06/2018-05/17/2018, 7mg) (05/18/201/-05/31/2018, 6.5mg) (06/01/2018-06/14/2018, 6.25mg) (06/15/2018-06/24/2018, 6mg) (06/25/2018-06/30/2018, 5.67mg) (06/31/2018-07/09/2018, 5.5mg) (07/10/2018-07/16/2018, 5.33mg) (07/17/2018-07/23/2018, 5.16mg) (07/24/2018-07/31/2018, 5mg) (08/01/2018-08/14/2018, 4.75mg) (08/15/2018-09/14/2018, 4.50mg) (09/15/2018-10/14/2018, 4.00mg) (10/15/2018-11/26/2018, 3.50mg) (11/27/2018-01/05/2019, 3.0mg) (01/06/2019-01/16/2019, 2.5mg) (01/17/2019-02/08/2019, 2.25mg) (02/09/2019-02/22/2019, 2.13 mg) (02/23/2019-03/07/2019, 2.00 mg) (03/08/2019-04/01/2019, 1.67 mg) (04/02/2019-04/13/2019, 1.5 mg) (04/14/2019-04/26/2019, 1.33 mg) (04/27/2019-05/10/2019, 1.16 mg) (05/11/2019-05/23/2019, 1.0 mg) (05/24/2019-06/02/2019, 0.88 mg) (06/03/2019-06/13/2019, 0.75 mg) (06/14/2019-06/23/2019, 0.63 mg) (06/24/2019-07/03/2019, 0.50 mg) (07/04/2019-07/08/2019, 0.00 mg) (07/09/2019, 0.50 mg) (07/10/2019, 0.00 mg)

Psych drugs free since 10th July 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Waiting12, how are you doing so far?

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

Hey Waiting12, how are you doing so far?

Hi there, I'm very slowly seeing improvements in a very non linear sort of way. If I look back 6-8 weeks the overall Improvement is there but day by day is up, down, up, down.

How are you?

Drug free 12-16-2016

• 2 weeks later...

I am now at 5 months since I have taken anything. Things are slowly getting better overall but in an up and down way. The "feeling" that lead me to try re-instating last year is back but much stronger. I don't know how to explain it. It is like a package of symptoms that all come at the same time. It feels like motion sickness/dizziness/unbalanced/DR/nausea/head pressure/neck and head tension and pain/brain fog/fatigue all at once. I had that for 6 months feb-july of 2016 but was still able to work, go to school, keep up with commitments, but felt really crappy everyday. Last year, I was told it was vertigo and tried chiropractic and physical therapy for many months with no luck. (Also got a million tests run all coming back normal). Then, that is when zoloft was tried again all the failed reinstatements started and the nightmare really began. I now know this is all wd. I guess I just don't exactly know what to call that 'feeling' when its so hard to describe. Does anyone else have that or is there a name for it? It just makes me feel really sick like I need to take a time out and lay down for awhile.

Another thing that has really set in is anhedonia. Well, im not sure if it is true anhedonia. I can feel all the negative emotions, just nothing positive. I have no interest in anything, no motivation, no excitement, happiness, etc. On a good day if feels like a major case of the blahs, on a bad day it ruins my day. I am guessing this is just another phase. I do get fleeting moments of 'oh! thats how i used to feel'. I've also had like 2 windows of feeling content and happy, so... I guess this is just where im at at the moment and im ready for it to keep getting better.

I still feel as if my life is on hold. I am still unable to work/go back to school and not functioning anywhere near where I want/need to be but I guess time will take care of that too. I am trying to meet this process with non-resistance and just take it day by day. I hope by autumn i'll be able to get a part time job somewhere with low stress. I still have loads of constant chemical anxiety but its not where it used to be. It seems to go down just a smidgen each month. I could post my symptom list, but literally everything on there just comes and goes now. My sleep is consistently better. It takes a long time to fall asleep but once I do I sleep for 7-9 hours straight. I still can't take naps during the day no matter how tired I am. I usually feel a bit better in the evenings. My monthly cycle still messes with me. Also, I have been sick twice the last 6 weeks which makes things worse (a 10 day cold followed by what I assume was a sinus infection a couple weeks later). Intrusive thinking is still lurking, but less often and less intense Thank GOD! That was a nightmare! Also, my memory seems to be worse the past month or so.

That's where I'm at 5 months out. Some things better, some worse. I'm definitely not feeling good yet, but i am a lot better than the first few months. Hopefully one of these updates soon will be a good one. I hope everyone is healing well.

Drug free 12-16-2016

That's exactly where I am at 8 months off. At 7.5 months off I felt a lot better. I even started getting windows everyday lasting 2-7 hours but now I've been in a serious wave like you've described. I think you're doing right by "not getting in the way of it all ". After all if we freak out about the whole situation we'll just end up back in the same spot with a panic attack on top.

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

Hi Alice, thnks for checking in. I hope your monster wave has passed. It will! Has it been bad the whole 8 months or did you have a delayed onset of symptoms?

I would like to report that I was able to take a 90 minute NAP today!!! This was the first time I was able to nap for the last 10 months!!! I have been waiting oh so patiently for this day. (I used to nap nearly every day before this mess). Even if it goes, I know I'll be able to nap again some day. Good lord I missed my daytime naps!

Drug free 12-16-2016

It started since week one and has gotten worse since. I get the windows like I said but I haven't got any relief the past two weeks. Only at night in bed. This current wave has been the worst one yet. But funnily enough before this wave I was doing pretty good. Still symptomatic but very very optimistic. And even feeling a bit better. Im really tired of withdrawal lol. Oh well. Keep on pushing through day by day I guess. I try to stay positive but fall into despair at least once a day.

Glad you are sleeping. I sleep well too.

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

• 2 weeks later...

A 90 minute nap sounds heavenly! I'm still suffering from insomnia that started in December 2016. I get about 2 - 4 hours of sleep now. Baby steps...

• 1 month later...

Advice would be appreciated on the agoraphobia front. I'm not sure it's true agoraphobia or what. Basically, I feel so weird, sick and anxious (& whatever other symptoms decide to show each day) 24/7 that I don't like leaving home for long periods of time. I can go and do things & go places but limit it to a couple hours and a lot of the times is neccecity stuff. It's not like going out and having a great time socializing or anything... because well, there are no great times yet due to this withdrawal. I'm just as miserable at home as I am anywhere else. Anyways, now my fiancé wants me to go on a long road trip with him in a couple weeks (over 2,000 miles) & I don't know what to do. 

Is this a face my fears type of situation or something I'm not ready for that would overstimulate me/ make symptoms worse etc.. Will these weird fears go in time or do I really need to work with them now? Normally, I would love going on that road trip & I've taken a few longer ones than that before totally stress free. What is with this?! I realize I would feel like crap here or in the car... but it seems easier to be sick with DR, dizziness, anxiety ect...in a quiet low stress environment. Am I just reinforcing the fear by opting to not go until I'm further along in my recovery? I am at like 6.5 months out from my last adverse reaction. Thoughts?

Drug free 12-16-2016

Hey, Waiting!

This is definitely something that can't be helped but be worried over. Truth be told, I felt the exact same way. I'm now currently working part time and travel with minimal problems. I think you should give it a go and try to get out more often, no matter how you feel. Reading through Irishwill's post gave me strength to do so.

Everyone is different, so you may feel a bit worse afterwards, but if you feel bad at home anyway maybe getting out more will help? It helped me a lot. I still have the hypochondriac kinda mind set and still have bad days but working gives me purpose, going out gives me purpose. Plus the ruminating has almost stopped entirely, as I have too much to focus on to even think about it much.

You are on your way to healing, it's easy to see that! You are much better than before! Congratulations on hanging in there! Just remind yourself of Dr Claire Weekes' coping methods and do your best. Instead of shrinking from fear and the sensations, get aggressive with it, get powerful, get confident! "I WILL go to the store today and you won't stop me!" Or "I've experienced this before and made it through, I most certainly can do it again!" You'll get there eventually and you WILL heal! Keep moving forward, don't look back!!

- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

* Morning stretching routine every day *

Hi Waiting. I can sympathise with you as have found myself in similar situations. 

Only you know how well you are and what you can cope with. I think we lose a little bit of confidence in WD and it is hard to get back into a normal life as we recover.

A change of scenery would probably do you good and refresh you but it is a long trip. Would it be possible to do something shorter this time  so you can build up to a bigger trip in the future?

I am like you and don't like straying far from my home when in a wave. It is my comfort zone! 

Maybe if you look at the trip as being good for you and plan things that you would normally enjoy it will become something to look forward to rather than dread.

Just last week I was lucky enough to have a window and we took off on the spur of the moment for just a short break a 2 hour drive away. I had such a fab time and now I am back in a wave again so glad I managed to cram it in!

I hope you come to a decision that is right for you and your recovery.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hello Waiting,

I know things seem endless, but it will improve, just gotta hang in there and somehow go day by day.

When we are in WD, it is always easiest to stay in that safe place and not venture out.  I am going on vacation soon and am in no mood to, but my kids are home from school and are looking forward to it, so can't disappoint them.  I went on vacation last December when I was in a worse situation, and even though I managed, I was dying to come home, so I really don't know what to advise you ... if you decide to go, you will manage just fine, but you may be chomping at the bit to return.

Have a question: I see that you have developed tinnitus.  So have I and I find it very distressing.  When did yours start and have you seen any improvements.  I am trying to ignore it but those quiet times that I used to cherish have gone out the window...

All the best.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Waiting12: Needing advice!
6 hours ago, Dez said:

Hey, Waiting!

This is definitely something that can't be helped but be worried over. Truth be told, I felt the exact same way. I'm now currently working part time and travel with minimal problems. I think you should give it a go and try to get out more often, no matter how you feel. Reading through Irishwill's post gave me strength to do so.

Everyone is different, so you may feel a bit worse afterwards, but if you feel bad at home anyway maybe getting out more will help? It helped me a lot. I still have the hypochondriac kinda mind set and still have bad days but working gives me purpose, going out gives me purpose. Plus the ruminating has almost stopped entirely, as I have too much to focus on to even think about it much.

You are on your way to healing, it's easy to see that! You are much better than before! Congratulations on hanging in there! Just remind yourself of Dr Claire Weekes' coping methods and do your best. Instead of shrinking from fear and the sensations, get aggressive with it, get powerful, get confident! "I WILL go to the store today and you won't stop me!" Or "I've experienced this before and made it through, I most certainly can do it again!" You'll get there eventually and you WILL heal! Keep moving forward, don't look back!!

Hi Dez! It is SO good to hear from you!! I'm glad you are doing well. How is the new job & how in the world did you know you were ready?! This makes me so happy :)! I'm glad im not the only one that has felt this way. Its a tough battle. Its easy to see my healing? Lol some days I wonder, but yes.. I must be.. even if its so slow I don't even notice the positives haha. Thank you so much for your kind words. You always make me feel better about this whole mess. I hope you are feeling much better too! Looking forward to reading an update from you :)

6 hours ago, Flowers said:

Hi Waiting. I can sympathise with you as have found myself in similar situations. 

Only you know how well you are and what you can cope with. I think we lose a little bit of confidence in WD and it is hard to get back into a normal life as we recover.

A change of scenery would probably do you good and refresh you but it is a long trip. Would it be possible to do something shorter this time  so you can build up to a bigger trip in the future?

I am like you and don't like straying far from my home when in a wave. It is my comfort zone! 

Maybe if you look at the trip as being good for you and plan things that you would normally enjoy it will become something to look forward to rather than dread.

Just last week I was lucky enough to have a window and we took off on the spur of the moment for just a short break a 2 hour drive away. I had such a fab time and now I am back in a wave again so glad I managed to cram it in!

I hope you come to a decision that is right for you and your recovery.

Flowers xxx

Hi flowers, thanks for the reply! My confidence has definitely been affected and in more ways than one. Unfortunately we cannot do a shorter trip as my fiance is driving home a family member who lives far away to get in some more visiting time since they do not see each other often. I am scared if i don't fight the agoraphobia it will become a real problem, but i have moments and sometimes days where it is no biggie. I even woke up this morning and thought about this long trip coming up and my thought was 'no big deal' which would be my normal thought processes to something like this. I would normally be excited. Then my withdrawal brain kicked in and then came all the doomsday thoughts. lol. This is just unreal sometimes. I'm so glad you had a good window and took full advantage of it! Don't you wish we could schedule when our windows come?! That would be the day!

5 hours ago, Survivor1 said:

Hello Waiting,

I know things seem endless, but it will improve, just gotta hang in there and somehow go day by day.

When we are in WD, it is always easiest to stay in that safe place and not venture out.  I am going on vacation soon and am in no mood to, but my kids are home from school and are looking forward to it, so can't disappoint them.  I went on vacation last December when I was in a worse situation, and even though I managed, I was dying to come home, so I really don't know what to advise you ... if you decide to go, you will manage just fine, but you may be chomping at the bit to return.

Have a question: I see that you have developed tinnitus.  So have I and I find it very distressing.  When did yours start and have you seen any improvements.  I am trying to ignore it but those quiet times that I used to cherish have gone out the window...

All the best.

Hi survivor, thanks for the reply. I also went on a long vacation last summer when I was in CT withdrawal and had no idea what was going on. I tried to drink away the dizziness with alcohol (looking back this was a horrible idea) and avoided all the fun attractions of the vacation because I felt weird. This time at least I know whats going on, but i have to admit I feel A LOT worse today than I did a year ago (I had a couple failed re-instatements that did me no favors after that trip). You are so strong to go even if it is just for your kids. That says a lot about your character and I admire that. Everyone here is so darn strong. As for my tinnitus, it is loads better. I'm sorry you are dealing with it, it is not fun (especially at night). I probably only have it 25% or less of the time now. My whole last year was a blur of freaky things im not even really sure when it started, but I for sure had it by last December. Now when it happens it starts out loud and kind of startles me, but slowly fades over a fairly short period of time compared to before. Its to a point I could live with it if I had to. This weird chemical anxiety though.. .that has to go! I hope you get some quiet time soon.

Drug free 12-16-2016

Hello...I just wanted to see if I could garner some hope and help coping with this horrific akathisia? I've had it now about 14 months-daily with no windows. I really feel I'm losing my mind and not sure how much longer I can hold on...Any ideas for coping or words of strength are welcomed.

Rx'd 1-2mg Clonazepam for anxiety April 2016 (after one panic attack); asked to be taken down off of it due to it being benzo (I didn't do my research)...Placed on 10mg Lexapro-had reaction (crying hysterically, digestive issues, mood swings) to it; taken off (May '16) ; took myself down off Clonaz from 1 1.5 to .5 (probably last of May) in relatively short time (didn't know better); threw me into tailspin-no sleep for a week, dizzy, brain fog/dp/dr; went to another doctor who knew that Lex had helped me years ago (2014; 40mg) so pushed me to get to 40mg; stayed on for three months June-Aug; sick to death; quit doctor went to Psych PA who brought it down to 10mg  (end of Aug) and added 5mg Buspar x2/day; was okay for awhile then crying spells returned-same symptoms experienced as I did when on med; pysch took me off Lex; (Sept 19th); took myself off Buspar thinking it had made heart run/tachy (latter Sept); currently only on .5 Clonaz and miserable (weakness daily, apathy, anxious, tachycardia, occasional high bp, spacey, brain fog/dp/dr.)

Breakdown of Escialopram use: 10mg in May for one week; discontinued due to horrible side effects;

Placed back on Escitalopram in latter May, early June by doctor who knew it had worked for me in the past...pushed me from May to August to get to 40mg; all the while symptoms and my complaining to doctor-kept pushing me. 

Went to psych PA who took me down from 40 to 10 that initial visit added Buspar 5mg x 2; felt a little clearer; then began feeling crying spells again. Doctor ct'd me -told me "Try to see how you feel after one week without it". All this time, I had been emailing him to let him know my symptoms and he basically told me to stop; quit him and found a PA who has been overseeing my care-he's an advocate of meds though...thinks there is no tolerance on Clonazepam.

5 hours ago, kcs72 said:

Hello...I just wanted to see if I could garner some hope and help coping with this horrific akathisia? I've had it now about 14 months-daily with no windows. I really feel I'm losing my mind and not sure how much longer I can hold on...Any ideas for coping or words of strength are welcomed.

Hi there, I am so sorry you are going through that. I know first hand how hard it is. There just aren't any words.

Firstly, I want you to know it gets better. There is an akathisia blog i read that helped explain things to me... i hope it is okay to post that here but it is a wordpress blog i found on google. Know that you aren't alone and that it is actually a common issue among people here on SA and on benzobuddies. When it gets better you won't even remember how bad it was... seriously. Take it hour by hour & day by day.

Things I did (& some I still do when feeling particularly bad) to cope....warm Epsom salt baths (& a lot of them), relaxing aromatherapy, nature sounds & yoga music, I felt like i could lay down still if my brain was stimulated or distracted so i did a lot of reading, reading a lot of success stories on here and on benzobuddies, reading uplifting quotes and positive coping statements, playing low stress games on my phone, brain training games, talking on the phone for distraction, doing housework, getting as much sleep as possible (black out curtains), crying made me feel better sometimes, going for walks, stretching or any type of exercise, being outside in nature, deep breathing, mindfulness, praying, distraction in anyway and a lot of the time just white knuckling it through the day.

Try to avoid unnecessary/ unneeded/ excessive stress, negativity, stimulants, sugar, caffeine etc... Most importantly get proper nutrition. Nutrition was a major struggle for me, but high protein and high calorie is what i focused on. I also remember a few members here reaching out to me during that time...Aberdeen stands out in my memory.. and it was SO comforting to know I wasn't alone and that these horrible feelings go away with time. Time is the answer as I am sure you know.

I still have restlessness a lot of the time that can come and go but the intensity is lowering as time passes. I haven't tried supplements so I can't help on that front. I hope you feel better soon! You can do it!

Drug free 12-16-2016

Thank you for all the encouragement....it is sheer torture...I appreciate all of your helpful suggestions:D

Rx'd 1-2mg Clonazepam for anxiety April 2016 (after one panic attack); asked to be taken down off of it due to it being benzo (I didn't do my research)...Placed on 10mg Lexapro-had reaction (crying hysterically, digestive issues, mood swings) to it; taken off (May '16) ; took myself down off Clonaz from 1 1.5 to .5 (probably last of May) in relatively short time (didn't know better); threw me into tailspin-no sleep for a week, dizzy, brain fog/dp/dr; went to another doctor who knew that Lex had helped me years ago (2014; 40mg) so pushed me to get to 40mg; stayed on for three months June-Aug; sick to death; quit doctor went to Psych PA who brought it down to 10mg  (end of Aug) and added 5mg Buspar x2/day; was okay for awhile then crying spells returned-same symptoms experienced as I did when on med; pysch took me off Lex; (Sept 19th); took myself off Buspar thinking it had made heart run/tachy (latter Sept); currently only on .5 Clonaz and miserable (weakness daily, apathy, anxious, tachycardia, occasional high bp, spacey, brain fog/dp/dr.)

Breakdown of Escialopram use: 10mg in May for one week; discontinued due to horrible side effects;

Placed back on Escitalopram in latter May, early June by doctor who knew it had worked for me in the past...pushed me from May to August to get to 40mg; all the while symptoms and my complaining to doctor-kept pushing me. 

Went to psych PA who took me down from 40 to 10 that initial visit added Buspar 5mg x 2; felt a little clearer; then began feeling crying spells again. Doctor ct'd me -told me "Try to see how you feel after one week without it". All this time, I had been emailing him to let him know my symptoms and he basically told me to stop; quit him and found a PA who has been overseeing my care-he's an advocate of meds though...thinks there is no tolerance on Clonazepam.

I wanted to check in for a little positive update. I still have a TON of symptoms going on from my adverse reaction & subsequent CT nearly 7 months ago (I think only 6 symptoms have left so far), but feelings of love are starting to come back now. Its not all at once. It's more like a light switch off and on and its definitely more off than on, but I am taking this is a good hopeful sign of recovery. It has been a huge relief to myself and my fiance. He now knows that at some point I'll be myself again since my personality will randomly poke through here and there now. Not often, but it does happen now. Happy 4th of July (for the American folks) & I hope everyone is seeing improvements.

Drug free 12-16-2016

27 minutes ago, Waiting12 said:

I wanted to check in for a little positive update. I still have a TON of symptoms going on from my adverse reaction & subsequent CT nearly 7 months ago (I think only 6 symptoms have left so far), but feelings of love are starting to come back now. Its not all at once. It's more like a light switch off and on and its definitely more off than on, but I am taking this is a good hopeful sign of recovery. It has been a huge relief to myself and my fiance. He now knows that at some point I'll be myself again since my personality will randomly poke through here and there now. Not often, but it does happen now. Happy 4th of July (for the American folks) & I hope everyone is seeing improvements.

That is great news Waiting. Love is what makes the world go around - or so they say!

Being able to feel emotions again is a big step in the right direction. So pleased for you and your fiance.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

1 hour ago, Waiting12 said:

good for you waiting ,in one myself ,I've had a great week with family and letting myself enjoy it ,withdrawal is such a demon we deserve all the best and peace we get ,getting goose pimples  listening to music here ,I'm so proud what I've got through in the last 6 months .

take care

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks PB and flowers for the encouragement. I hope you both are seeing positive improvements.

I apologize in advance for being rather gloomy on this post but I am in need of a pep talk. I hit a fairly large setback about 10 days ago. I think it was caused by trying to do too much too soon. (4th of July, long boat rides, traveling etc)

I am 7 months out now. Could relief be just around the corner? Could this setback with old symptoms worsening be the last bad one or boost me into better healing? I am feeling so stuck! I have been seeing maybe 5-10% improvements each month with a worsening during my pms cycle, but this setback wasn't cycle related so it's out of the wd norm for me. 

Before this setback I would've thought I was about 50% better on a good day, now not so much. Insomnia is back along with intrusive thinking, restless feelings, & other bizzare mental & cognitive stuff. The constant chemical anxiety feeling is well.... constant. Blunted zombie emotions and man am I tired. 

I never had any of these symptoms before until 3 hours after trying to reinstate Zoloft last July. Altogether I have been sick from these meds for 17 months. 6 months of tolerable wd in early 2016 just dizziness and brain fog- but didn't know what the cause could be. Tried reinstating different meds for 5 months (this is when everything fell apart) and now 7 months of recovery. That seems like an eternity at my age when I'm watching my friends around me getting Into careers, getting married, starting families and I'm just a sitting duck. On a positive note I can say this isn't as bad as how I felt in January through march, but it's very discouraging to go backwards a bit. 

I get a lot of hope from a thread by a girl named lov4k9s since we have a common history. I think it took her about 14 months to feel good after her adverse reaction upon reinstating. I know I shouldn't compare stories but I'm trying to keep the hope alive. When is this darn nervous system going to settle down? I sincerely hope my next update is a good one. Maybe I'm closer than I think and just need a half time pep talk.... any coaches out there?

Drug free 12-16-2016

never apologise for a start ,we are so tough to put up with this living hell ,I'm particularly bad myself today ,very paranoid and constant intrusive thoughts[mindfulness helps me get out of it but vicious cycle ] ,anxiety off the scale ,yesterday I put so much energy into a walking meditation video just to get some peace in my head .

don't get me started on the comparing myself to peer groups ,I wonder if I was on the moon would withdrawl be quicker .

I've started making my own kefir lately and I'm questioning that also if it affects me

ide recommend just giving into the tiredness when you can ,fighting everything is hard ,I personally have cut exercise down ,I just do nice walks for now .

we got to believe were are  healing all the time buts its so hard sometimes .

I often dream of being "normal" in the future and having the silly annoyances  like who left the toilet seat up or fridge door open .I promise they wont when I'm well again:D.

Take great care and wishing you peace

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.