SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Simo: Olanzapine/Zyprexa withdrawal

Simo

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, this is my first post.

I'm struggling with completely withdrawing from Olanzapine / Zyprexa. I had slowly slowly cut down my dose to 1.25mg's and then I decided to go completely off it. I managed to do about 3 weeks and my doctor (who also gives me psychotherapy) convinced me I was going hypomanic and I believed him and went back on it at 10mg's.

This was about a month ago. I've cut my dose down since then.

I'm not totally convinced I have bipolar disorder, although at the end of my last attempt to come off I was aware that I was having quite grandiose ideas (e.g., my thoughts were telling me I should try to play serious level sport and when I'm on this drug I don't play any sport!)

I'm a bit cross with myself as I did so well to be completely off Olanzapine for 3 weeks and then I voluntarily put myself back on it. I was scared that I was actually going hypomanic and that If I didn't go back on Olanzapine I would end up in full blown mania; which sort of has happened but there has always been outside reasons for me entering extreme states (i.e. extreme fighting with my parents).

TBH with you all; I don't know who to believe anymore. Myself, the doctors, I don't know who I can trust. I sure as hell feel so damn flat, lethargic, antipathetic on Olanzapine, but when I come off i'm told  I'm going hypomanic. I just don't know what to do.

I think my plan at the moment is to reduce, slowly, to 2.5mg's and see how I behave at that level. I may even try chopping that in half and taking 1.25mg's and see how I behave at that.

I'm slightly scared that my Dad is paying a lot of money for me to see this private psychotherapist (whose also a psychiatrist) twice a week, and he may be wrong that I need to be on a small dose of Olanzapine.  Of course, this is his job and he may also be right and I'm in (understandable) denial that i have bipolar.

As I said, I don't know who or what to believe anymore.

Lost, but somehow still going.

Simo

Struggling with Olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal. Failed withdrawal attempt in November 2016, which resulted in me reinstating at 10mg's.

4/1 - 9/1: 10mg.  10/1 - 19/1: 7.5mg.   20/1 - 26/1: 6.25mg.   27/1 - 2/2: 5mg.   3/2 - 10/2: 3.75mg. 12/2 - 14/2: 3.75mg. 15/2 - 28/2: 3.15mg.   01/3 - present: 2.5mg

Welcome Simo

You might like to read this thread. I think you will find it very informative.

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Hypomania is a withdrawal symptom it is very common.

Your gut feeling here is correct ...its not you its the drug.

Are you able to add time frames and dosages to your signature and any other drugs you are on (if any).

So glad you are adding your voice to this forum.

nz11

These two links may be helpful too

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Simo -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Please don't be cross with yourself about reinstating olanzapine after having been off it for 2-3 weeks. Many of us experience a "honeymoon" of feeling wonderful after our last dose and then experience withdrawal symptoms. To learn how the absence of a drug can cause symptoms, have a look at the information at these links:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simo - Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants!

Can you please update your signature to include the dates of your tapers?  And the date you went up to 10 mg, as well as how quickly you have come down, and what your current dose is?

The good news is - you weren't "hypomanic," you just tapered too fast.  I know you said most of your taper was slow, but we recommend 10% of prior dose here.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  

Further, you jumped off at 1.25 mg, which is a huge drop.  These new atypicals hit all kinds of different receptors at different doses, and if you had come here, we would've recommended a small reinstatement and a nice, gentle taper from there.

What dose are you on, now?

Here's the thing.  If your psychiatrist is right and you always need to be on a small dose of olanzapine, 1 mg is much better than 10 mg!  There are some studies which show that good percentages of people can thrive - if they are on low doses.  The problem is, finding docs who will prescribe lower-than-recommended-by-drug-company doses.  Like 1 mg.  

Or - if you are right - you can possibly come off olanzapine entirely - but you will need skills.  A toolkit of non-drug coping skills.  A plan for wellness. A practice that sustains you through hard times.  A pattern of behaviour that keeps you from "getting caught" by doctors and the system.  A support network which will give you feedback on your wellness, and cover your back when the docs disagree. 

Before You Begin Taper - What you Should Know

NZ gave you the olanzapine link.  I would like you to also consider these links:

Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)  (I know it says antidepressants - but most of these psych drugs have similar effects and patterns)

Is it withdrawal or relapse?

This last link will indicate to you that what you thought was "hypomanic" was actually withdrawal from olanzapine.  The hard part is getting through the symptoms - waiting them out - without running back to doctor for help - for long enough to see if they are your "native pattern" or if they are just post-drug effects.  The post drug effects can still rattle around for a year or two after they are totally out of your system.

Please, let us know your dates in your signature, and how we can help you with your taper - so that you can make a choice that suits you.  

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Whilst I have the energy (one major effect of Olanzapine for me is complete apathy and lethargy) I want to sincerely Thank you who have replied to my first post!

I have felt SO ALONE in my battle with my mental health.

I will update my signature with more accurate timings. I'm currently taking 5mg's of Olanzapine, perhaps I've been too quick already cutting down this med, I hate it with a passion and i am sitting here feeling upset with myself that i came so close to coming off it- 3 whole weeks without it, and I lost my "right" mind. Anyway it won't help to beat myself up over this but I almost forgot that I was trying to come off this thing- and jumped straight back on it: at 10mg's. I am really concerned about seeing my psychotherapist (who's also the psychiatrist). I partly trust him; he's part of the reason I have the strength to attempt coming off the meds, but I feel he's going to tempt me; just like last time, when I'm withdrawing hard, with- go back on Olanzapine, your not safe, I'm really worried what your going to do etc. I feel he's a decent bloke, but having spent 40 years working as a psychiatrist i feel he's blinded by psychiatric medicines etc.

sorry, this is a long rambling post, It just feels so good to have a community here: I feel you guys understand the difficulties i'm going through!

I'm going to update my signature and keep going! 

I'm not really seeing the sun, but i don't feel quite as lost as i did 5 days ago. Slightly seeing the Sun :) which is better than not at all.

All I had to rely on previosly was a few youtube videos from Peter Breggin and Laura Delano. Do you recommend i buy any books for my help in coming of Zyprexa? i declined a Skype chat with Laura Delano during my withdrawal and I'm wondering whether that was a mistake.

The insomnia from coming off Zyprexa was the hardest part. I literally had no sleep for like 12 days.

Sorry this post has been a bit "all over the place".  So grateful to have found this forum!

huge love to you all,

Simo

Struggling with Olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal. Failed withdrawal attempt in November 2016, which resulted in me reinstating at 10mg's.

4/1 - 9/1: 10mg.  10/1 - 19/1: 7.5mg.   20/1 - 26/1: 6.25mg.   27/1 - 2/2: 5mg.   3/2 - 10/2: 3.75mg. 12/2 - 14/2: 3.75mg. 15/2 - 28/2: 3.15mg.   01/3 - present: 2.5mg

before I attempt to sleep for the night, it's striking me quite clearly from what some of how have shared that I went too much too soon when coming off in my last failed attempt.

I've heard some mentions of oral solutions because 1.25mg's (half the smallest available olanzapine pill) some of you are saying is still too much of a jump, from 1.25mg's to 0mg's.

How do I make an oral solution? I.e. how do i make the micro doses, as last time I withdrew it started getting really tough under 2.5mg's.

big love to you all out there

• Moderator Emeritus

Simo

A do-it-yourself liquid is fairly easy to do. It's even easier when a particular medication is soluble in water. Unfortunately Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is "sparingly soluble" in water so you are best off using a compounding liquid. Some people on the site have used a commercially prepared compounding solution called "Ora-Plus."

You can read more about making a liquid and getting doses from your homemade solution in these threads:

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques]

There is a discussion about using Ora-Plus in the Olanzapine (Zyprexa) tapering tips thread:

Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

If you have any questions, please post them here in your introduction so that all your information stays in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I'm a bit overwhelmed by just how much information is being exchanged here, especially relating to what i need to do; tapering off Olanzapine. I'm panicking that I won't ever come off this drug and heal.

• Moderator Emeritus

There is a lot of information, you're right.  It may help to focus on your current situation and only the very next step. 

What are the things you need to do to make the first step in tapering?

You will be able to reduce your dosage. Your CNS (central nervous system) will set both the speed and the final dose.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Simo and welcome to SA from me too.

Feeling overwhelmed when you first get to SA and find all this information is fairly normal.  But the good thing is that you are here and you will be getting the support and information that you need.

One step at a time and ask any questions you have.  You are in the right place.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you for the replies.

I'm lucky that my Dad seems to be "on my side" with this, I'm living with my parents because I'm too depressed on Olanzapine to look after myself properly. He see's that this drug is slowly killing me and he's willing to try to help me get off it. Although he's somewhat underestimating the torture of the withdrawal process.  He just thinks i should be able to just "put up" with extreme insomnia etc. He is keen for me to move onto 2.5mg's soon (I think because i managed to come down the doses earlier in the year without any blindingly obvious symptoms at the time).

I'm taking 5mg's Olanzapine currently, I have done for 6 days now. I'm not sleeping very well, taking me a while to actually fall asleep. I'm also really struggling to get out of bed, I'm waking up around 8-9am but I normally find the strength to get out of bed about 12pm which is obviously terrible- but so typical of me while on Olanzapine (hate this drug so much!)

I suppose "next steps" would involve buying a syringe and the appropriate equipment to turn Olanzapine into a solution. Although, i'm slightly unsure whether this will work well enough, do i need to buy a compounding liquid.

I feel i can't really get on with my life until I'm off this drug because it kills my personality and therefore i can't work or even do any hobbies!

I'm scared of what some of you are saying that it may take a long long time to get off this drug, and until I have the method of the oral solution sorted thats going to frighten me.

I'm also not sure what to do about my therapist (who is also a psychiatrist!). I can't deny that he has really helped me understand myself and he's taken me from very very depressed to where i am now, which is strong enough to come off all meds. The problem is: he categorically thinks i have bipolar and he thinks i need Olanzapine. 

He's seen me the last two times I've attempted to come off Olanzapine completely and both times he thinks I've relapsed into hypomania. What I'm learning from you guys is that it's very likely withdrawal effects of coming off this strong drug which looks like hypomania. Maybe this is more reason for me to use the suggested oral solution method so I can make sure I come off slowly. I don't feel I have much energy to buy all the gear and start the work of making these solutions (thats a bit of a poor excuse i know, because I really want off this drug).

I'm confused though, do I stick with my psychotherapist or is it too dangerous, i.e. when I'm really weak he may convince me to take Olanzapine again, or worse "section" me and force me into an NHS psychiatric hospital.

I can now see why I feel overwhelmed, I've got a lot going on in my head right now.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's great that your Dad is supportive. Just remember -- and maybe inform/remind him -- that it's your CNS (central nervous system) that has to cope with medication changes, not his.  ;)

scallywag's Introduction

Happy New year to you all!

as I sit here typing away in my room, I see how much damage this incorrect diagnosis of bipolar and subsequent serious psychotropic drugs have affected my life.

Thanks for being here guys.

big love,

Simo

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simo - 

One thing you might want a heads up on is the Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms - you might be going along fine, and it seems that out of nowhere, the withdrawals hit.  Some people even claim they had never felt better, in the weeks before their withdrawals hit.  It is why some people have trouble reinstating.

Additionally, now that I see your signature, you did a lot of every-other-day dosing, and we really really don't recommend that, it is destabilizing.  Can you please put a month/year in when you were doing that every other day stuff, so we know how long ago it was?  I expect you may still be rattling out symptoms from the every-other-day thing for a few months yet.

Every-other day dosing

The problem is: he categorically thinks i have bipolar and he thinks i need Olanzapine. 

There is such a thing as manic depression, or "bipolar," but it's very rare.  I'd say that it's much less than 5% of the people currently diagnosed with it.  Most people got diagnosed with it while in the throes of a drug reaction, like me.  You can't diagnose a drug reaction.

Additionally, there is no evidence that olanzapine does anything good for "bipolar" as you have noted.  Please, while you are preparing your syringe & measuring kit, go to your library and get Robert Whitaker's excellent "Anatomy of an Epidemic." or buy it - so that your Dad can read it, too.  Then you will understand better.  

It is vitally important that we go slowly in your taper.  Failure to do so could result in unwanted symptoms way beyond insomnia, like intrusive perceptions (called "voices" "hallucinations" and "psychosis" by doctors), depersonalization/derealization (also called "psychosis" by doctors, they like that word), akathisia, motor disruptions.  This list is common to antidepressants, but the symptoms are very similar to coming off olanzapine, too:  Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal  Anyhow, if you present with these symptoms to a psychiatrist, they only know to give out more drugs.

You will need to learn to live through the symptoms, and come out the other side.  A s-l-o-w taper is the key to fooling your nervous system into thinking there were no changes at all!  That's how you sneak from the bear or the wolf.  I wrote elsewhere:

Think of the olanzapine (or any drug for that matter) as a wolf or a bear.

When you are in the wild and you encounter one of these things, the FIRST thing you must do is: KEEP CALM.  (yeah, I know, the meme and all, but it's true)  The next thing you do is DON'T MOVE!

If it is a total standoff and you want to get away, you CANNOT run.  It's you and the bear.  If you run, the bear and wolf have a hard-wired instinct to chase, and you will lose.

The goal in a standoff with a bear is to sneak.

That's what a taper is.  Sneaking away from the wolf.  You've seen a cat stalk - it waits until the prey is not looking, then moves a bit (maybe 10%?)  then it waits.  And waits.  And waits.  Holding will save your life, when you are in a standoff with a bear.  And Saphris and olanzapine are a bear and a wolf respectively!

Before, you dropped your berries and ran away, and the bear caught up to you.  Didn't work. 

The goal is to sneak the drug out of your system sooooooo slowly that your brain hardly notices it's gone.  And doesn't chuck a wobbly like before.

But here's the good news (I'll end with good news) - you have reinstated.  You are safe.  Pick a dose and stay with it.  HOLD.  When you think you want to drop your dose, HOLD some more (and look at that Delayed Onset link again!), and wait for the worst symptoms to pass.  THEN, HOLD another 2-4 weeks before planning your next taper.

So right now, you should pick a dose and hold there, and plan to hold there until you are at least 1 month out from your last change, preferably 3 months.  Don't worry about how long this will take - it is better to be successful than to be fast.

Being safe and stable is more important right now.

So yes, start getting your equipment - ask your Dad for help in reading the liquid taper threads.  SIMPLE SUMMARY:  Put your whole tablet in XX ml of Ora-Plus (measured, graduated cylinder is best).  Pull out your dose in a syringe.  The maths depend on the strength of your liquid, measured in mg/ml.  How much tablet is in how many ml?

You can tell us every step you try, and we'll help.  So your tablet is how big?  How are you cutting it now?

The very first step will be to convert your entire dose to liquid, so you will have plenty of practice when you start tapering.

Every change counts as a "taper" - so after switching your full dose from tablets to liquid, you will hold for a month, and get a lot of practice before getting ready to taper.

You can do this, believe me, liquid taper is much easier than dry cutting!

One last question:  what are you doing for your physical body?  Can you take walks?  Do some light weight lifting?  These seem to really help move the healing process along.  How is your diet?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you JanCarol. It's late in the UK now so I need to try to rest, but I just wanted to thank you for your post before my lights out.

Lots to do in preparation for this. The more I think about it, the more I don't think I can do another round of what happened in November 2016, which was my 3 weeks of going from 1.25 to 0mg's. I did go a bit psychotic and it was actually really scary.

Good night friends

OK, I took 2.5mg's last night and it was a mistake I think. I couldn't get to sleep to I had to take a Zopiclone (Zimovane 7.5mg's) I think i'm still unstable from my last failed attempt which was Nov 2016.

I willing to do what you guys tell me- so i can get through this doing it the tapering, slower way.

I think I'm going to continue taking 5mg's for the next 3 - 4 weeks in order to try to stabilise on 5mg's, as i said i don't really feel stable. 

I'm so lethargic and knackered on this drug that I'm very unproductive and need your help!

What exactly do I need to buy? What size syringe?

scallywag, mentioned Ora-plus. How much of this should i buy and where from? - I live in England too, so ideally i don't want to pay £20 to ship it from the USA.

I need to show my Dad these conversations you've had with me. He's trying to help as best he can, but the last 6 years of me being ill have really hurt him too and he's frankly knackered because of what's happened to me also.

i'll start with the above questions, I'll buy the stuff you recommend, and then I'll make the solutions and i'll move from there. i want to do this more than anything in the world, and I think it's my impatience that might actually be hindering me here.

I'll buy the above recommended book: "anatomy of an epidemic", thank you JanCarol  .

Do you know of other helpful books, resources for me right now? Perhaps especially related to alleged "bipolar" or antipsychotics in general. Or should i just start with the Anatomy of an epidemic and move on once I've finished that.

JanCarol to answer your last questions. I struggle to exercise at the moment because i'm so flat, demotivated on olanzapine. (I used to be extremely fit before I got ill).

But i do go for gently walks with the dog, or sometimes alone. 

I'm ashamed to say I've started smoking, not a lot, just 3 a day or so. i never used to, i just find it perks my mood up a tiny bit which helps with the overall depression i get from Olanzapine. I feel this is a minor vice right now. If I manage to come off Olanzapine and get more stable I can look to quit smoking then, but right now it slightly helps me (i know it's very bad for me etc. I know).

There is an exercise class near my house which i go to on a Monday morning (they stopped it over Xmas).  Hopefully as I taper off Olanzapine i'll be more able to exercise as I know it helps me- it's just so hard with the lethargy, general depression from Olanzapine.

I want to say another big thank you to you guys who are helping me. My life has been ruined by this drug and I'm very isolated and struggling right now. It's basically just me, my Mum and Dad living this nightmare, and they're at their wits end. I feel very sorry that all this has affected them so badly.

Please forgive me that my posts aren't as clear as some of you, I'm not very good on computers.

I have these dreams that I can get off this drug! and move on with my life! that Thought, that dream, brings me to tears, thats how badly I want this.

Please keep helping me, you guys are so important in my life right now.

Simo

ps.  tried to change my picture but i can't do it! minor thing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Holding at 5 mg for at least 4 weeks is a good idea. Continuing at that dose for longer may be even better; you'll have a more solid foundation from which to taper.

Use the time and stability to research how you're going to taper, things such as

• identifying sources of compounding liquid - people in the UK Relationships groups for the UK may be able to help, as might the organization Mind (mind.org.uk)
  • thinking about how to gradually transition dose from tablet to liquid by gradually increasing the % of dose taken as liquid

scallywag's Introduction

I'm trying to stabilise on 10mg's. I think after my failed attempt at coming off in Nov 2016, and I went back on Olanzapine for 4 weeks at 10mg's, I think I need to stabilise on 10mg's before i look to taper.

I've decided to quit smoking as I was addicted and i feel it's only going to get worse.

I had a fair bit of alcohol last night and now I feel pretty depressed today. Stupid and self defeating. Hopefully my mood will improve a bit over the next few days.

Struggling quite a lot right now. Also, got brain fog and can't really think properly and having OCD type symptoms too.

Simo

ps.  does anyone know of any help for coming off meds in the UK? any specific psychiatrists recommended of therapists recommended? I feel SO alone with this battle right now

• Moderator Emeritus

Quitting smoking while you're dealing with symptoms of withdrawal can be challenging and destabilizing. Nicotine is a stimulant to the CNS (central nervous system), the same system affected by psychiatric medications such as olanzapine.

I urge you to consider allowing time for your symptoms to stabilize then EITHER taper olanzapine by small decreases OR quit smoking.

Because of its CNS impact, alcohol (beer, wine, spirits) and psych meds don't mix well at the best of times. During withdrawal and tapering its best to avoid CNS stimulants, such as nicotine, and depressants, such as alcohol.

Have you seen the threads for members from the UK in the Relationship forum?

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you Scallywag.

My plan is to stabilise on 10mg's, my sleeping has returned which is good.  Problem is all the horrible effects of Olanzapine also kick in on 10mg's (lethargy, apathy, loss of interest in life etc.)

I've decided to quit smoking. I've moved onto vaping (which i know is still nicotine) but hopefully i can cut down from here.

Perhaps I even need to consider quitting caffeine?

I'll try and find this UK thread in the relationships forum.

• 2 weeks later...

i reduced to 7.5mg's and have been on that for 8 days. My sleeping has been very poor the last 2 days so I'm going to hold on 7.5 until my sleeping improves a bit, then look to reduce again.

Please help with this One question:  If I make an oral solution (I've bought the Ora plus off amazon) how long will it last in the fridge?

Will the solution keep for ages? or will it not keep at all and I have to make a new solution every day?

Simo

• Mentor

i reduced to 7.5mg's and have been on that for 8 days. My sleeping has been very poor the last 2 days so I'm going to hold on 7.5 until my sleeping improves a bit, then look to reduce again.

hi there,

how are you doing today?

I understand that you are keen to taper and get on with a normal "un drugged" life, but I do hope you'll consider going a lot slower.

I thought your plan had been to stabilize on the 10mgs for a bit...?

I totally understand the desire to taper quickly and be done with these drugs, and get on with life, BUT here's the thing,

if you go too fast, you will actually make the hard parts last LONGER, and make things a lot harder on yourself.

yes, trying to go too fast will actually SLOW you down!! so think about that when you get the urge to taper before you have fully stabilized, ok?

Believe me, I understand completely wanting to speed up the process and get to the other side, but your best bet of doing this successfully is to go slowly.

Do you think you can do that?

I went way too fast myself and caused myself all sorts of unnecessary suffering. Those folks who actually do the slow tapers fare much better, and avoid a lot of the terrible symptoms that can lead you to want to reinstate. Reinstating can then slow your progress even more.

it's so hard to be patient, I know!

I have experience with being diagnosed both schizophrenic, bipolar and schizo-affective (a combo of both, hahaha)

I don't think I really have those conditions, however I have most definitely been psychotic.

Being psychotic is scary, so I am very glad that you have your dad to look out for you and support you in this.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Mentor

Please help with this One question:  If I make an oral solution (I've bought the Ora plus off amazon) how long will it last in the fridge?

Will the solution keep for ages? or will it not keep at all and I have to make a new solution every day?

Simo

you are getting a bit ahead of yourself hon, don't worry about the solution at this point, ok?

for the FUTURE, I wonder if you could look into the oral disintegrating tablets...........? I'd ask a mod about that, I don't know much about them.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Moderator Emeritus

If you've got a bottle of Ora-Plus, there's probably some contact information for the manufacturer. How long you can keep a solution/suspension is a good question for the manufacturer.

scallywag's Introduction

• Mentor

If you've got a bottle of Ora-Plus, there's probably some contact information for the manufacturer. How long you can keep a solution/suspension is a good question for the manufacturer.

just checked a PFD from the manufacturer, they only give how long their syrup is good for, once it's mixed, you need to figure out, depending on what you mixed it with, how long you can keep it  and if it needs to be refrigerated

they suggest only mixing up very small amounts, esp if you're unsure how long it will keep

I got the Ora- Plus to mix meds for my rats and the taste was so bad, no one would touch it. There is a sweetened version.

Thank you catnapt for your message.

So roughly, what do you think is a realistic taper for me?

I seem to be almost stable on 7.5mg's (the only affect i'm having at the moment is my sleep isn't regularly very good). I've been on 7.5mg's for 9 days. Do you think I need to be on 7.5 for another 2 weeks or so (until my sleep is as "normal" as possible).

Also, If you think I don't need to worry about the solution just yet, do you think it's reasonable to try going from 7.5mg's to 5mg's to 2.5mg's etc. (just cutting up the tablets, but making sure i'm stable each time by being on each dose long enough).

I know I went too fast in my failed attempt in November 2016 (before I found SA).

ps. This morning I saw my NHS psychiatrist who prescribes for me.  She wanted to move me onto Aripiprazole instead of Olanzapine. She doesn't understand that i "Don't want anymore drugs!"

anyway so we left it that I'm reducing the Olanzapine, despite her disagreeing. Lucky my Dad came with me for support, these meetings can be really difficult. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Simo, you made a 25% dose reduction on January 10. That's a very large decrease. You would be wise to delay the next decrease until at least 2 weeks after your symptoms disappear or stabilize. Please don't use the calendar or impatience as the guide to tapering; instead, pay attention to your body!

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...

It's the monotony of the day I find so difficult. Time passes like walking through treacle. I'm sure this is Olanzapine, because I enjoy life when I'm off it.

I'm down to 5mg's, stabilising on this right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Simo how are you doing with your taper?

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Hi Miko,

I'm currently on 3.75mg's daily. I was on that for 8 days and tried to go down to 3.15, but I think that was too much too soon as I experienced quite intense anxiety and I don't think I had properly stabilised on 3.75 anyway, so I'm back on 3.75.

I had a nice "window" last week for a day, which was lovely, but have been in a bit of a wave since then.

It's looking like now, I've reached a sort of sensitive threshold on 3.75, which I didn't experience before, I just felt numbed and "drugged"/ Zombied on the higher doses. Which may mean I have to start quitting caffeine and nicotine now. Up until now Caffeine and Nicotine have been getting me through the day, but perhaps my hyper sensitive receptors are 'coming back to life' on 3.75 so it looks like it's no caffeine and nicotine for me which'll be hard in one sense as they've been helpful up until now.

I appreciate that I've gone down from 10 to 3.75 quite quickly, but up until now my CNS has been stable so I figured that was ok. Although it's looking like my CNS is become sensitive now so I'm probably going to have to go slowly now.

What's the recommended reduction rate, is it 10% every 3 weeks?

I haven't made an oral solution yet, still going on chopping up the pills. I'm hoping I can reduce by 1/4 of a pill each time I reduce, but I may have to start making an oral solution, we shall see.

My overall state: I feel quite low tbh. This process is taking ages and I have very very few windows mainly just feel crap from Olanzapin. One of the few things keeping me going is the dream that one day I can be off this drug. But it feels quite a distant dream.

I've bought "coming off psychiatric drugs" by Lehman. Any other books to buy helping with withdrawal. I think I should buy "harm reduction guide to coming off psyc drugs" by Will hall etc. I've also got anatomy of epidemic but find it quite heavy.

Big love to you all

• Moderator Emeritus

Our recommended rate of reduction is 10% of your current dosage each month.  However, at lower doses most people need to slow this rate down to avoid worsening w/d symptoms.  It looks your CNS may be sending you a message... ;)

It might pay to get your ducks in a row now, rather than let things fall apart first.  Begin measuring accurate doses, stop the caffeine etc, and start reducing by smaller amounts.  It's much 'nicer' going through w/d when you are in control (well, as much as one can be anyway). 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I'm seriously considering 'cold turkeying' the last of this Olanzapine. I'm down to 3.75mg's.

I just don't think I can keep going with the withdrawal