SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MaizeNblue81: Tapering Zoloft during severe acute Xanax WD

maizeNblue81

Ok Im going to try and again I'm not trying to get on anyone's nerves or make anyone made please don't be mad at me I just don't have anyone to talk to my doctors are not much help and I just don't know what to do

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maizeNblue81

• ChessieCat

• JanCarol

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentor

Ok Im going to try and again I'm not trying to get on anyone's nerves or make anyone made please don't be mad at me I just don't have anyone to talk to my doctors are not much help and I just don't know what to do

oh no sweetie you are NOT getting on anyone's nerves, and no one is mad!!

we're just trying to help you.

I know from going thru something similar that reminding myself or repeating how bad things were, actually made them worse.

I want you to feel better, so I hope you'll try not to focus on how bad it is

we know you are suffering and we are so sorry.

I found this thread, I don't know if it will help. maybe take a look?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/846-change-the-channel-dealing-with-cognitive-symptoms/

Yeh it's hard going thru this alone, and with 3 kids, oh my you are a rock star! seriously!!

so I know you feel even more pressure to heal quickly, for your kid's sake as well as your own.

is there anyone who can come and help you out?

yeh, drs are not going to be any help at this point, sadly.

now it's time to find things on your own that will help you deal with the hard stuff.

it's difficult but it can be done.

um let me look at your symptoms again and see if I can think of something that helped me

I too have intrusive thoughts and I HATE them!!

try to remember they are just thoughts, they cant' hurt you.

or maybe as JanCarol mentioned, make friends with them, and just accept that they are there, but are not harmful, they just seem that way

a lot of what is happening is really just kind of a mental movie, it's not real. It feels very real, I know!! but the bad stuff you may be thinking, it's not real, they are just thoughts

just say to yourself, when one pops into your mind: 'OK there is another upsetting thought. that's from my brain being all confused, trying to heal itself.

my brain will heal but in the meantime It will be a little confused and think things that are not real

that's ok. I can just watch the thoughts go by and not react to them because they are just thoughts, they are not real.'

.......... or something like that.

I struggle with these every day, the intrusive thoughts, some days more than others

distraction is a big help, and yes posting here can help too.

sometimes you may need to take a break from the forum because when you are feeling this way, reading other ppls stories may just make you feel bad or hopeless.

but there is a lot to hope for, you WILL heal, I can promise you that.

in the meantime lets find ways to try to make this a bit more bearable ok?

(((hugs)))

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Ok I'm trying to remain hopeful but I've been suffering since May of last year ever since I tried to get back on meds after coming off Prozac in the fall of 2015 and then going through a divorce last spring and I'm just so tired so very tired of living everyday in this misery and not seeing any end it sight.

I set here and watch as my family, my kids, and even my ex wife go on with their lives and work and are happy and get to go out and enjoy life and I'm stuck here day after day in this torture and it just makes it worse!

I just want my life back and to be able to do the simple things that I used to take for granted like working, going to the gym or even just taking my kids to a movie. I've lost a year of my life already to these drugs and hope for tomorrow fades more and more everyday and I wander if I'll ever be the same again?

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Administrator

maize, many of us have been in the same place you are. This is one of those situations where you need to fake it until you make it.

You're going to have to cope with your symptoms until they go away. You need to take care of your body, giving it good fuel for healing: fresh fruits and veggies, lots of leafy greens, good-quality protein; minimal sugar, caffeine, and artificial ingredients. No alcohol.

The fresh green veggies are no joke, they are packed with B vitamins, which are essential for good neurological functioning.

You need to get out for at least a half-hour gentle exercise, such as walking, per day. This is also good for your nervous system. 

If you want to see your kids, see them in a soothing setting, or take them for a walk. Don't stress your nervous system with fears that you can't do the things you used to do. Think of things you can do.

Only you can dig your way out of this.

Are you sensitive to light? Did we discuss this before?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No I don't think so on the light right now it's just the head pressure and physical pain in my head and fatigue, confusion, DP/DR and intrusive are all my main symptoms but the head pressure is by far the worst!

I'm really struggling on what to do with the Zoloft too cause I don't think I should have been put back on anything after Detox but now after four months I think I'm stuck with it for awhile and it may be helping but it's just so hard to tell cause the benzo WD has been so severe!

I don't know if I should go back up to 100mg and just stay their for awhile or work down to 75mg and stay their either way I'm gonna start going through my PCP cause the psych doctor they sent me too after Detox is no help and I can only get a appointment once every two months and I need every month where I'm at and just need some help figuring out what to do with the Zoloft from people who have been through this before not doctors who have no idea of what I'm talking about or going through!

Keeping in my I have underlying issues mainly with anxiety and panic attacks which is why I got out on meds to begin with!

And also I know just going down from 100mg to 87.5mg over the last two weeks I've noticed the intrusive fatigue and head pressure have been worse so I don't know if that's the Zoloft or continuation of the benzo WD?

I made a appointment th my PCP today for March 3rd which over a month and a half sooner than the other doctor but I really don't know what to do or where to go from here?

I'm still at 87.5mg on Zoloft or atleast as close as I can get it with a pill cutter and I'm on the 15th day of that after being on the 100mg for a little over 2 months I think closer to 10 weeks. It's hard for me to say what's going on cause I really don't understand but I am scared and don't know what to do?

The head pressure numbness and physical pain in my head is still the worst but one alarming trend that I've picked up on over the last weeks is the emotional symptoms and intrusive thoughts seem to have gotten worse and mood since dropping from 100mg to 87.5 so I don't know what to think or what to do?

I don't know if I should wait it out at 87.5mg till I can get into to see her and either go back up or go down to 75mg and just stay their for awhile but my brain the physical and emotional symptoms are all out of wack now and add fatigue insomnia confusion DP/DR, and anxiety it's all very bad!

I've noticed too I've the last week I've been very weak and it's hard to stand up for long periods of time and really all I can do is lay down or set not much standing or even able to walk or exercise and it's hard to imagine it being this bad after 18 weeks off Xanax and it's hard to imagine going form 100mg down to just 87.5mg of Zoloft or making this big of a difference so I don't know?

Have I destabilized even more with the drop in the Zoloft? Should I go back up to 100mg and stay their for awhile? I don't know what to do but it's getting worse and not better and I'm so very tired of suffering everyday with no end in sight!

• Moderator Emeritus

maize, mucking about with doses is very unlikely to bring you relief and it may cause more problems.  Your best bet as a DIY "taper-er" is to stay at your current doses and to deal with each symptom as it arises, not compare it to past ones or worry about future ones. Just do what you need to do to get through or live with the symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

It's just been alarmingly worse especially the anxiety head pressure and thoughts have all been more severe over the last few days and I'm on day 16 of going down to 87.5mg and it's kinda like I think I messed up by letting them put me on it and now I think I've messed up again by dropping the Zoloft so it's like no matter what I do it's wrong!

So you don't think going back up would help in the long run and just staying there? Would this be more kindling with the AD?

Would it be easier to stabilize back at 100mg and stay for awhile or keep it where it is for a few more weeks and then go to 75mg and stay?

Ok something is not right my mind is so much worse than a week ago and the head pressure seems to be getting worse and not better! I'm standing in the kitchen with so much pressure in my head all I can do is cry! I just don't know how much longer I can take this and I just don't understand and can't see how the symptoms have lasted this long at this severity and how going down the little that is did on the Zoloft could be doing this? I thought the Zoloft might be making it worse but now I don't know?

I'm laying here in bed now and something has for sure changed over the last few days! The anxiety is through the roof and the head pressure is worse and far more intense and honestly I can't even focus on a movie cause of the thoughts the pressure in my head and this overwhelming anxiety and all of these symptoms have gotten so much worse over the last few days and it's scaring me I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown and I feel nauseous and very jittery and it wasn't even this bad a week ago so I don't know if this is another wave of benzo WD or the drip in the Zoloft catching up with me or a combination of both but I'm really scared now and I don't know what to do?

Maize, is there any way you can go to a daycare center where you can do lots of things because focusing on yourself all day is only going to make things worse?

It is exhausting, keeps you in a negative state and consumes the little energy you have left . You may not like the idea of doing things but being there will take your

mind of yourself and give you some breaks. 

In August 2012 I was hospitalised after going through a psychosis. I used to wander around in the hospital in order to cope with everything that went on in my mind. At one point I had a complete black-out and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two injections with clopixal 50 mg, dehydrobenzperidol 5 mg and tranxène 50 mg. I was completely off the world for a whole weekend. After I woke up he prescribed me Invega 6 mg which I used to flush through the toilet. After two weeks I could leave the hospital and over a period of about 4 months I felt more and more terrible up to the point where it felt as if my mind was shutting down and I started losing all coordination. At the end of December I finally decided to be hospitalised again and I was given Invega 3 mg and Lorametazepam 2 mg at my own request. I used to break the Lorametazepam in half just to get me through the night. In May 2013 I tried to stop taking the Invega but I couldn’t cope. It wasn’t until July/August 2015 when I felt both physically and mentally strong enough that I decided to taper off the Invega. As recommended on this website I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal 2 ml. I tapered off by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Towards the end I tapered off by 10% every other week when only a few drops were left. In April 2016 I took my last drop of Risperdal. In general I didn’t have any problem falling asleep but it was only for 2 to 4 hours. So I took the Lorametazepam ranging from 0,5 to 1 mg to help me sleep the rest of the night. In July I started taking Lavender tincture to replace the Lorametazepam and it worked out fine but I am sad to say that I take the Lorametazepam again when my mind is very overactive.

No I don't have transportation for that and I don't think my insurance would pay for it. I woke up this morning and this is bad very bad! I haven't felt this bad since going into the hospital and I honestly feel like I'm dying! The pressure numbness pain in my head is so bad I can't breath or hardly move I don't know what she changed but all my symptoms have increased double over the past few days including the intense intrusive thoughts this is so bad I feel like I'm dying and on the verge of going to the hospital!

I just don't understand it has gotten so very bad again over the last few days even worse than before and I don't know if it's the drop in Zoloft or another massive wave of benzo WD or a combination of both but this is pure misery and the worst now is the unbearable pressure and pain in my head has gotten worse and extreme fatigue, confusion, DP/DR, SU/HO ideation, the intrusive thoughts have gotten really bad again, I'm extremely nauseous feel like I'm gonna through up and pass out I can't even stand up right now what do I do? Why has it gotten even worse lately?

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, stability means stable -- no changes. Given all the changes you've gone through, it's probably best to stay at your current dose of Zoloft and ride things out.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I just don't understand how things can get this bad again? Honestly I can't breath the head pressure is even worse now and emotionally I don't know if I'm having a psychotic breakdown or a panic attack or what but this is crazy! My mom is wanting to take me back to the hospital it's so bad. I've just tried to shave and clean up a little and I don't know if I'm gonna make it! I can't see how going down the little I did has made this much of a difference and it literally hit me like this exactly 2 weeks after I dropped from 100mg to 87.5mg and the 87.5mg is not exact because I can only get so close with the 50mg tablets and a pill cutter.

I just can't tell if it's the drop in Zoloft catching up with me a wave of new symptoms from the benzo WD or what but something has changed drastically in the past few days for the worse and not the better!

I'm losing hope and I feel like I'm honestly dying! The anxiety, fear, thoughts have honestly not been this bad since I went into the hospital!

Wood going back to 100mg bring any relief? Is that to risky after two weeks like with Xanax because of kindling? Is this benzo WD or the Zoloft?

Im so sorry to bother you but I'm struggling in a bad way scared and taking a turn for the worst! I've put a few more replies on my my topic in CT WD but I'm really scared now!

I haven't felt this way since going into the hospital 4 months ago and I feel like I've taking a huge step back and having extreme symptoms to the point of having flashbacks of how it was when I went in and I don't know what to do?

This has just hit me like this in the last few days and I had a rough night last night and woke up like this this morning and it's gotten worse as the day has went on!

The head pressure, anxiety, can't breath, the racing intrusive thoughts have all slammed me again so bad I'm on the verge of going to the hospital and I do t understand what it's hit me this way after all this time? It's been bad through out but not this bad since I went in and I feel like I'm dying!

I've been down to the 87.5mg on the Zoloft now for a little over two weeks and it took I guess about two weeks and the all this hit and I just don't know why and I don't know if I can handle the suffering it's so bad!

It's so hard to tell if this is a wave of new benzo symptoms or the Zoloft or a combination but I don't know what to do but this is a bad situation just got worse and I feel like I've gone back 4 months in my recovery!

Maize. I'm so sorry for your suffering. This has not been an easy time for you at all. I imagine it must feel at times like you're world is starting to implode.

I can understand and empathize with you as I'm sure we all can . Many of us, including myself have felt that way at times during this process.

I have found it to be challenging and daunting to say the least. Having said that the only way out is through. 

As I see it there is nothing that can really be changed at the moment with your dose and doing so could possibly cause even more instability thereby exacerbating or even adding to your symptoms. 

In withdrawal there is a propensity to want to do something immediately to fix the problem but the irony is that the more fixing you try to do, the worse it can sometimes become. Your CNS ( central nervous system ) has been through a lot and therefore needs calm and stability in the aftermath of the changes it has been through. If you can provide it with that then healing can naturally happen. If you overwhelm it with stops/ starts/ updoses etc it is hindered and therefore can't reach homeostasis which is what it's always inherently trying to achieve. 

I think if you can find ways to self - soothe and calm yourself you will not only feel better immediately but perhaps you will even find that your symptoms settle down on a longer term basis. To become drug free- if that is the aim, it's important to practice your non - drug techniques and coping skills.

I know many of your symptoms are physical but mind/body/spirit are intertwined and what affects one also impacts on the other.

Please have another read through this topic :

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

You haven't mentioned what proactive steps you have been taking so far in this regard. What have you tried so far ?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I just don't understand it I mean it's been a horrific ride the whole time to say the least but the last few days I've noticed a big change in the physical and mental/emotional symptoms taking a turn for the worse!

Physically I feel sick with extreme fatigue, nausea, and even worse head pressure numbness burning and pain in my head mainly above my eyes and my forehead and in the center on the right side down into my neck! The buzzing noise in my head everytime I tense up or yawn or anything is still there and I feel like I'm dying!

The emotional symptoms have taking a turn for the worse as the anxiety, confusion, DP/DR and horrible evil intrusive thoughts have all gone haywire again almost as bad as it was when I went into the hospital and the last two nights I've laid here trying to watch a movie because I couldn't sleep and this overwhelming dull anxious feeling filled with fear and intense thoughts have overwhelmed me to the point I can't even lay and watch a movie which it wasn't even thisbbad a weeks ago!

I don't know if it's the Zoloft or the benzo WD but something has changed big time and there has been a uptick in symptoms I already had and some that have come back along with new ones!

I don't know what I should do the dose of Zoloft is at 87.5mg and has been that way for 17 days now and it didn't hit me like this till the last 3 days and it was so bad today I almost went to the ER and I would have if I thought they could help me!

I've tried to keep busy and keep my mind off things with household busy work and playing games on my phone and watching movies but today I've been so sick none of its helped at all!

If I thought it was bad two weeks ago it's even worse now and I don't know what to do? My mom asked me if going back up to 100mg would help and I don't know if it would or not and I know the 87.5mg isn't completely accurate every night with a pill cutter so I'm at a loss and don't know what I'm gonna do and o fell like I'm back to where I was 4 months ago with all this and it's complete and utter torture and I'm very scared I feel nauseous and like I'm gonna throw up!

I've tried to keep busy and keep my mind off things with household busy work and playing games on my phone and watching movies but today I've been so sick none of its helped at all.

What else did you try ?

Did you go for a walk in the sun ?  Listen to music ? Yoga ?  Epsom salts bath ?  Meditation ?  Magnesium ? Positive thinking ?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if it's the Zoloft or the benzo WD but something has changed big time and there has been a uptick in symptoms I already had and some that have come back along with new ones!

I don't know what I should do the dose of Zoloft is at 87.5mg and has been that way for 17 days now and it didn't hit me like this till the last 3 days and it was so bad today I almost went to the ER and I would have if I thought they could help me!

If I thought it was bad two weeks ago it's even worse now and I don't know what to do? My mom asked me if going back up to 100mg would help and I don't know if it would or not and I know the 87.5mg isn't completely accurate every night with a pill cutter so I'm at a loss and don't know what I'm gonna do ...

Maize, we don't know for sure what's causing this. You are asking yourself a question for which there is no definitive answer. You will drive yourself "around the bend" continuing to ask a question that cannot be answered. I hope you can let go of such a futile and counterproductive endeavour.

The most likely suspect for causing your symptoms is benzo withdrawal -- BY A LONG SHOT. Let's use benzo withdrawal as our operating hypothesis for now.

We've offered you the best suggestions we've got to cope with this situation:

• This will take time, many months and possibly years, to fully resolve.
  • You will have to expand your ability to be patient.
  • You will continue to suffer for an unknown, but finite, period of time.
  • You will have to expand your ability to tolerate suffering and discomfort beyond what you think you can.
  • Other people have gone through similar withdrawals that lasted for years and have gotten through it. You can get through this too.
  • Finding distractions will help you.
  • Developing non-drug coping techniques will help you
  • Connecting with others in protracted benzo withdrawal, e.g. Benzo Buddies, can be a fantastic support.
  • When self-managing one's psych medications, the most important principle is stability. The best way to provide stability for the CNS (central nervous system) is to keep doses the same. 

+ then, when it's time to make changes, decrease only one drug at a time by less than 10% and hold for at least a month.

Because those suggestions don't seem to be meeting your needs, this site may not be the right place for you -- right now.

If you are looking for a pharmaceutical way out of benzo withdrawal, then

• An small upward titration from 87.5 to 100 mg of Zoloft is unlikely to do much -- if anything at all -- for symptoms.

• Medical professionals can come up with a drug cocktail that will SHUT DOWN the symptoms and many will prescribe it for you. If you choose this option, you would be smart to
    • find a doctor willing to invest time with you to fine tune doses to maximize relief, that is someone who is  committed to shutting down your symptoms not to shutting you up.

• hold steady for a MINIMIMUM of 6-9 months after finding the sweet-spot combination that eases symptoms, at which time it *could* be time to think about SLOWLY tapering of ONE of the meds in the cocktail.

I wish I had something more helpful to post.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Maize:

I've noticed too I've the last week I've been very weak and it's hard to stand up for long periods of time and really all I can do is lay down or set not much standing or even able to walk or exercise and it's hard to imagine it being this bad after 18 weeks off Xanax and it's hard to imagine going form 100mg down to just 87.5mg of Zoloft or making this big of a difference so I don't know? 

It takes a lot of energy to heal a brain and nervous system.

This is actually a good sign.

Here's my post on Road Works:

I really like Bubble's phrase:  "Brain is closed down for repairs."  I'd like to expand on that a bit - parts of your brain are closed down.  Imagine very complicated road works with about 25 intersections coming together.  This week, the traffic lights are shut down, and you need a cop to manage the intersection.  When that is repaired, well, maybe they need to re-do the shoulders, so they can divert traffic onto them for later when the lanes are being repaired.  Then there's the repairing of the lanes - it doesn't all happen at once.  Sometimes they need to rip up the old tarmac, change all the drainage routes, relocate the services for electricity and plumbing, get down to the foundation, and re-grade it, lay new gravel, then steel rebar, pouring concrete foundation, then laying the asphalt.  Sometimes you will go for 5 months, and the road is still closed, but you can't see what they are doing to it!  Each phase requires time to set and dry.  Then you can paint the lines on it, and go to another part of the intersection - perhaps one of the other incoming roads needs the same treatment.  Perhaps there are exit ramps and roundabouts and flyover lanes that need repair.  Each of which takes time.

Now imagine the millions of networks in your brain healing - they don't just, "heal" and be done.  It's a construction process, like Bubble was saying.  Road works for the brain. 

Just my way of saying, be patient with yourself.  It might be the tarmac this week - but the lines aren't on the road and you're disoriented.  Maybe the signals are crossed at the intersections, or the signs are removed or there are detours.  Be gentle with yourself, be patient with yourself.  It's a complex process, and the gentler you are, the more easily you will heal.  It does no good to shake your fist and yell at the construction guys while they are doing their work!  So just wave (lol, wave!) at the worker, declare to yourself, "This is yet another symptom of withdrawal," and drive carefully past the obstacle.

If you had a broken leg, you wouldn't insist that it heal in 6 or even 20 weeks, would you?  And a brain is even more complex than that.  Even when you get out of a broken leg cast, there are weeks and weeks of rehab to build the leg back up.

Looking at the past "what you used to do" isn't helping you, and looking to the future "when will this end" isn't helping you either.

The only thing you can help right now, is NOW.  Right now.  

So you don't think going back up would help in the long run and just staying there? Would this be more kindling with the AD? 

No, I'm concerned that your dose is too high already.  The best direction from here will be down - but not until your symptoms settle some more.  Like Scally was saying, each time you make a change, you are setting yourself up for more symptoms, later.  A change now, might bring on symptoms in 3 months time.  If you look back 3 months - you were still making changes then.  So it is normal to have symptoms now.

You need to learn to live through the symptoms, as awful as it sounds.  

As AliG wisely and compassionately said:

I can understand and empathize with you as I'm sure we all can . Many of us, including myself have felt that way at times during this process.

I have found it to be challenging and daunting to say the least. Having said that the only way out is through. 

As I see it there is nothing that can really be changed at the moment with your dose and doing so could possibly cause even more instability thereby exacerbating or even adding to your symptoms. 

In withdrawal there is a propensity to want to do something immediately to fix the problem but the irony is that the more fixing you try to do, the worse it can sometimes become. Your CNS ( central nervous system ) has been through a lot and therefore needs calm and stability in the aftermath of the changes it has been through.

I have to emphasize - it can get worse.  That's what we are trying to prevent here.  As horrible as it seems now - it can get worse.  Fiddling with doses, up down, back forward, adding, subtracting - it all wreaks havoc on the nervous system.  Please, hold, and find a place and a way to live through it.

Here is a former SA member/moderator, in her withdrawal:

http://youtu.be/0_1e0BIQVyc (1 min) and http://youtu.be/4H-oYvsjA1A (6 min) - they are very hard to watch.

But you can know, while you are watching, that she is recovered and working and living a productive life.  She's graduated from SA.  She is just one of many, who experienced extreme suffering - like you - who have gone on to heal.  She was, however, brave enough to post her videos of her pain.  You can read more about Fresh's journey, here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8452-freshs-fractured-fairytale-how-much-can-a-koala-bear/

What you are experiencing is not unique to you.  We know about this.  I know there aren't many people in your world who do - but most of us have the same situation.  

It can be survived.  It can be lived through.  

If you want to get your head pressure checked out to eliminate the scary stuff like blood clots and tumors - then do.  It's fine to get symptoms checked out when they get scary like this.  But you will need to be in control of your behaviour and speak calmly and clearly to doctors about what you want. Or you can, as Scally suggested, totally squelch your symptoms with drugs, and start your journey over again. 

But many have had horrible, awful, frightening symptoms.  And they pass.  Yours will too - but you have to be still, and wait for it.

I will finish by repeating Ali's insightful question:

You haven't mentioned what proactive steps you have been taking so far in this regard. What have you tried so far ?

Have you seen the sun today?  Taken a walk?  Eaten leafy greens?  There have been many helpful suggestions in this thread and in the links we've sent you.

It's time for you to start building stability, instead of thrashing around with your symptoms.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

So sorry to bother everyone I'm not trying to be difficult I just don't understand the misery and suffering is something I can't put into words and it's just been so bad the last 3-4 days and everything has intensified 10 fold and I've gone from a dark place to an even darker place physically and emotionally and it's just so hard when your doing everything you can to hold on and then to have things actually get worse and not better is scary and very discouraging!

I just don't understand after all this time the physical pain and pressure in my head is actually getting worse and it better to have new symptoms like the severe nausea and physical sickness hit me and then the emotional symptoms the dull evil cloud over my head and all the horrible intrusive thoughts coming back and slamming me again is very scary too and I don't know if it's the Zoloft or the benzo WD but it's gotten so much worse the last 3-4 days and I was doing good to hold on before!

I don't want anymore meds I didn't even want the Zoloft! Now I fee like I'm stuck with it and I can't tell if it's making things much worse or not?

The dark place my mind has gone back to is the most frustrating it's like a switch almost overnight the cloud the evil came back and it's hard to believe that dropping as little as I did could cause this kind of increase in symptoms and it does concern me the change in this and again as far as being consistent with the does I get as close as I can with the 87.5mg but it can't be 100% accurate with the pill cutter and breaking the pills in half but I'm doing my best and at the point I shouldn't have been put on it, I shouldn't have went up to the 100mg and after over 2 months I should have just left it alone so no matter what I do it's wrong but this last round that's hit me after the drop has knocked back in time 4 months in recovery and it's hard to hold onto hope with that!

I was thinking before all this hit me that just hold on a few more months and maybe it will get better to the point of being able to go to the gym or do other things but the last two days between the physical pain and pressure and these emotional symptoms I can't hardly left my head up off my pillow and I go back and forth between crying and hitting a real low and back in a really dark place again!

So again I'm sorry to bother everyone and I'm very thankful for all the advice and help cause I don't have anyone to talk to and these doctors have no clue of what I'm going through and I just don't know what to do and I just want my life back!

Really ?  That is what you got from all of this ?  That's disappointing.

Really ? That is what you got from all of this ? That's disappointing.

I'm sorry what did I do wrong? I'm trying I'm really trying but I'm scared and don't know how much more I can take or what's happening to me? Please don't be mad at me!

I just went through a divorce last spring, I have 3 little girls who I love who depend on me and I've really lost a lot of hope and these drugs have really destroyed my life and I'm just trying to hold onto to what little hope their may be and it's so hard I fought so long and through so much and to have it take a turn for the worse at this point is the last thing I needed and I don't know what to do?

I have to say the worst though is the way the thoughts and the psych symptoms have got me out of the blue again I mean I was just trying to play with my daughter and all these crazy thoughts hit me the kinda thoughts that put me in the hospital when I was trying to get off Xanax to begin with and when she left the room all I could do is roll over and cry and think to myself oh no not again I can't handle it!

So I'm sorry please forgive me if I've said something wrong or I'm not getting it I just don't know what to do?

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize,
I bet JanCarol spent probably a couple of hours writing her post above, and all you could do was come back and repeat again that you do not understand, that you have a cloud, that you are crying, tht you want to go to the gym. So I remembered those things about your posts since JanCarol's post you said, just in different ways in different ways, but the content is still the EXACT same as before her post. You never seem to get the coping skills we are trying to give you- these tings are a gift! Our mods are working as hard as they can to help you change you thought patterns and yet we have read the same thing over, and over and over repeatedly on your thread. YOU ARE SUFFERING. We get that. WE HEAR YOU! I promise, we do.

Homework for you to do right now:
Go back up to JanCarol's post (#168), and I want you to:

1. List 4 things you learned from reading it.

2. List 1 thing you are going to do TODAY from the list of things she gave you to do to, in order to take you mind off of things.

3. List ONE thing you are thankful for. Even if it is just that your pinky toe does not hurt right now (but you cannot use that one or any of our other toes).

ONE RULE:
NO COMPLAINTS or reasons why you cannot do such things in this post. I want to hear something positive come from you for once.

Time for you to think outside the box! You can do this!
Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

I'm very sorry and I appreciate the help more than I can say! All I was saying was it's been torture through out butvthe sudden change and increase in symptoms especially the physical sickness head pressure getting worse and in mood especially the evil intrusive thoughts coming back is just something I don't understand or know what to do about it or what's causing it?

Up till the last few days the mood and thoughts had improved quite a bit it was mainly the pressure and physical pain that was the worst now two weeks after that small drop on the Zoloft all hell has broken loose again so that's what I'm dealing with now trying to figure what's happened what's just and what to do about it?

That's all it's been a question of is this the Zoloft and the drop and if it is to I go back up or stay or is this another wave of benzo symptoms getting worse or a combo of both and it's been so extreme and sudden that's what brought all this on and right now between the physical sickness pressure in my head and thoughts I honestly can't even left my head up off my pillow or even set and watch a movie with my daughter which were all things I could do last week.

So I reas and hear everything everyone is saying and I'm thankful for all and any help and advice I can get there's no doubt about that and I'm trying to do everything I know how to do to survive from day to day I guess I wasn't expecting to get slammed like this so heavily again an it actually being worse and not better so forgive me but I will do "the homework you have asked me to" and thank you so very much again for all the support everyone has giving

• Moderator Emeritus

I will do "the homework you have asked me to"

That's really great to hear!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor

you'll get thru it hon, just take it one minute at a time if you have to.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

Maize,
I will hold you to that. Next post no complaining, and I want to hear the answers to my questions. NEXT POST. I am not being mean, I am being more understanding that you could probably comprehend right now. This is a lesson, and it is important, and it is above all else, kind.

I cannot wait! Now as to the answers to your repeated questions over and over asking Why? WHY? WHY? Look above JanCarol's post to scallywag's post, she explains it clearly. It does not matter why! However if you MUST choose one, blame it on the Benzo. It will not help your suffering. I promise.  Withdrawal is not a linear process.  Catnapt can attest to that, for sure.  She has lived these horrors herself!  And it is NOT easy!

NO EXCEPTIONS, POSITIVE POST NEXT from Maize, home work please! :) You can do it!!!
Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Question if I go to the hospital what do I say or do or tell them? I haven't been this bad to the point of going since I went in to Detox back in October but I'm really scared and the pain and suffering is so bad I'm physically sick and I can't stand up and the mood switch and the thoughts are really scaring me so I don't know what to do? It's like a and situation just got horribly worse and the pressure and pain in my head is so bad I honestly feel like I'm gonna throw up!

What do I do if they want to bump me back up to 100mg of Zoloft or put me on other drugs?

Another symptom pooped up today my vision is distorted and it's hard to even look at the tv to watch a movie or focus on it! The

I'm really scared now this is getting this bad and worse again what would I tell them or what could they do for me?

Sorry I've been so sick today I haven't been able to work on the other.

• Moderator Emeritus

What you say to a doctor or nurse-practitioner depends on what you want. From yesterday:

... [Assuming that you are dealing with benzo withdrawal]
If you are looking for a pharmaceutical way out of benzo withdrawal, then

• An small upward titration from 87.5 to 100 mg of Zoloft is unlikely to do much -- if anything at all -- for symptoms.

• Medical professionals can come up with a drug cocktail that will SHUT DOWN the symptoms and many will prescribe it for you. If you choose this option, you would be smart to
    • find a doctor willing to invest time with you to fine tune doses to maximize relief, that is someone who is  committed to shutting down your symptoms not to shutting you up.

• hold steady for a MINIMIMUM of 6-9 months after finding the sweet-spot combination that eases symptoms, at which time it *could* be time to think about SLOWLY tapering of ONE of the meds in the cocktail.

scallywag's Introduction

I'm gonna try and go tonight although I don't know what they will be able to do for me?

It's crazy how much it's changed in the last week! I feel like all my symptoms have doubled and old ones have come back stronger than before and the life has just been drained completely out of me!

I'm so sorry I'm not trying to be negative or take anything anyone has done to try and help me but it's like a bad situation and a crisis just got much much worse after 4 months. I can't even hardly get up out of the bed now!

The head pressure and physical pain has doubled, extreme fatigue has set in, mood has changed intrusive horrible thoughts have come back, vision DP/DR has gotten worse and all this over a matter of a few days to a week it's just taking a turn for the worse and I don't understand I'm losing hope!

I don't know what to do my kids got their packet for church camp today and I thought to myself oh no not another spring and summer like this I can't take it! I went to the store earlier and could hardly stand up thought I was gonna pass out and felt so out of place around all the normal healthy people and watched them smiling and laughing working and having fun and just came home and cried!

I haven't been able to get out of bed all day this is so much worse than where I was even a week ago and I don't understand?

I don't know if this is the Zoloft and the drop or the benzo WD or a combo of both and I don't know if I made the right choice starting the taper of Zoloft and that's it and I don't know what the hospital can do for me but I'm on the verge of giving up all hope and thinking their is no getting better I'll never be normal or happy again all I see in front of me is more misery pain!

• Administrator

Maize, I believe we have explained a number of times about waves and windows.

You are dealing with several things: The pain of divorce, the responsibility of caring for your children, adverse effects from drugs, and worry over all the above.

You are the only one who can deal with your internal reality, your complexity of emotions, your emotional pain, your physical pain, your guilt, your anger, and your worry.

We cannot recommend any drug regimen to resolve these things, we don't know of any and we're not qualified to prescribe them anyway.

I strongly suggest you find a counselor with whom you can talk about your divorce and your worry over your children.

Otherwise, we have reviewed everything you can do with Zoloft and benzos already, many times. If you want to go the drug route, you will have to make your own decisions there, too.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.