SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MaizeNblue81: Tapering Zoloft during severe acute Xanax WD

maizeNblue81

Oh and no alcohol I haven't had a drink in 2 years and I don't I haven't had antibiotics or anti inflammatories in awhile either.

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maizeNblue81

• ChessieCat

• JanCarol

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay - so stick with your doctor about the pancreas enzymes - I'm afraid that's a medical question which is somewhat beyond us here.

Please keep taking your Zoloft as you have been.

Let us know when you get a new container to measure.  A graduated cylinder is best.  Then we'll talk about your next taper.

Have you tried the Epsom salts soak yet?  What about oral Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil?

Have you tried short walks outside to get out of the house, change scenery, and move your body a bit?

C'mon Maize, you've got enough suggestions on this thread to keep you going for a year.  What have you tried?

I really hope you see the sun today, by stepping out of the door, and taking a walk around the block.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Yeah I have another appointment on April 7th where she is going to recheck my blood and go from there on that.

As far as what I'm trying I'm just trying to stay optimistic and distract myself through out the day with chores around the house and stuff with my kids but I'm telling you the pressure pain and numbness along with the fatigue is so dibilatating that on days like today I can't hardly get out of bed or lift my head up. I just don't understand after 5 months to have little to no improvement in this area is very discouraging to say the least and it is the one symptom that keeps me from doing some of the things I need to do? I know no one can tell me what causes this or why but is it really normal to have this symptom and it be this severe after 5 months?

I'm so tired today I actually to give an update on work out in four applications and have interviewed with two of them already and both wanted to hire me on the spot but the thing is although I may look normal and sound normal to them and let me tell you a had to fake it really hard in these interviews but I honestly don't know what my brain or my body is gonna let me do but I'm trying and doing my best and I have to do something right?

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Maize:

distract myself through out the day with chores around the house and stuff with my kids but I'm telling you the pressure pain and numbness along with the fatigue is so dibilatating that on days like today I can't hardly get out of bed or lift my head up.

chores, while a distraction - is not a technique.

It will not put more magnesium into your system (like epsom salts).  It will not change your biochemistry or attitude, like a walk would do.

It will not give you a "time out."  

One of the strongest things headaches do for me - is they insist I take "time out."

Apparently what you are doing is not working, so when are you going to try something which has helped so many of us?

I'm so tired today I actually to give an update on work out in four applications and have interviewed with two of them already and both wanted to hire me on the spot but the thing is although I may look normal and sound normal to them and let me tell you a had to fake it really hard in these interviews but I honestly don't know what my brain or my body is gonna let me do but I'm trying and doing my best and I have to do something right? 

This is another form of pushing through.  If pressure is your problem, pushing might not be the solution.

I hate to prognosticate, but - you get a job in your current condition, it increases the external pressure on you.  Your internal pressure increases too.  If you report to a doctor or hospital with these symptoms, they will be looking at expanding your one drug into a cocktail of anti-convulsants ("mood stabilisers"), pain adjuncts (Lyrica, Neurontin), or neuroleptics (antipsychotics, so that you just don't care about the pain - or anything else).  If you think your problems are challenging now....

Do you know about neck stretches for relieving pain in the head?   
https://youtu.be/nWNf6Khc9go?t=13s

I started the video 13 seconds in because who ever made the video doesn't understand that the music at the beginning is not for people with headaches!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Well as far as other drugs I don't and will not take another drug period and I'm already concerned about coming off the Zoloft as it's just made this and even worse situation all around.

As far as work I don't know what to do cause I really don't have much of a choice I've already been out of work for almost a year now and I have 3 kids to support and I can't get approved for disability so not much choice in this.

I'm am concerned cause it's just like I told my mom today I'm trying so hard and I just don't know what my brain and my body is gonna let me do but I have to try something.

If it wasn't for the intense pressure and all the physical symptoms in my brain I'd probably be able to do it but it's so hard to describe the torture in my head and honestly unless you have experienced it yourself there is no way you would understand.

I wanna give myself more time but I've already been off 5 months and their is no relief or improvement in sight and my mind and body have been through so much and I'm still suffering but I can't keep living like this mentally emotionally or financially so what do you do?

One of the jobs I applied for and have already interviewed for and really wants me is with a pool company who wants me to manage two of their sites this summer but the kicker their is you have to be certified as a lifeguard to do that and as a part of the certification you have to do several things but the most worrisome is you have to be able to swim 200 yards without stopping, get a brick from 12 foot and bring it back up and tred in water without using your arms or hands for two minutes and I'm just worried that these task my be extremely difficult for me to complete especially with the head pressure symptoms. I mean if I could somehow get through the certification part the rest would be ok but I don't know if I can do it?

There are two jobs that are call center jobs that don't have any physical aspects and I would be seated all day and not have to be on my feet or walking throughout the day that might be easier for me to handle but I don't know what to do? It's so frustrating when you want to get back to living and the suffering has just gone on so long that you want it to be over but it just keeps going and never ends.

Still no response to my last post but I got a couple of responses from benzo buddies forum and wanted to share and get thoughts on it here.

Im not doctor but all meds come with side effects and those pyschiatric drugs have a range of side effects of their own so to add these things to a brain that is off balance is a recipe for disaster. Everyone's body is different so what may work for one may not work for another. And in this case perhaps the zoloft is not working in yoir favour.

Perhaps as you wean off you will get some relief in your head. As i see it its a wrestling match in your brain. In one way its trying to regain normalcy (withdrawal/recovery) and then u have a drug that is creating a new level of modification and imbalance to the chemistry of the brain. Hence that world war you feeling your head for so long.

Worrying comes with the territory. Feeling stuck with nasty painful uncomfortable symptoms isnt a nice feeling.

Progess may be slow but sure.

So on that last post I shared a response from benzo buddies and I tend to agree the Zoloft is making this a whole lot worse and more complicated than it should have been and I don't know what to do?

Update I should be do for another drop this Sunday as Saturday will be 4 weeks since the switch over to the liquid dose. We've narrowed it down to with the inconsistency of the bottle and syringe about 87.5mg is what I've been taking so what's the next step?

And as far as the measuring and making it more accurate can I use the clear glass measuring cup and the syringe to measure this next time because they seem to be more accurate and the sports bottle is what seems to be off?

So like use the syringe and measuring cup to measure out my 100ml into the sports bottle first so when I measure our with the syringe at night it's more accurate and we can now what I am taking?

Update on symptoms:

The last 2-3 days the head pressure numbness and physical pain in my brain has been so severe I can't hardly open my eyes it's effecting my vision and I feel like I get really light headed and dizzy like I'm gonna pass out when I stand up.

It's still extreme numbness and pressure in my forehead above my eyes and my temples, pressure and burning up to the middle of my head down into my ears, and really bad pressure and sharp pain in the right side of my head down into the back of my neck.

Other symptoms:

- fatigue

- confusion

- DP/DR

- Intrusive thoughts

• Moderator Emeritus

maize - the difficulty I have with the comments you've shared from benzobuddies is that they don't seem to include the difficulty of discontinuing an SSRI like Zoloft. As you know the symptoms aren't the same as benzo w/d but they are not insignificant.

Would you update your signature with the dates you have adjusted your Zoloft dose? It will be easier for us to answer your question about making a change in the next few days if we have that information easily accessible rather than having to read many posts in your intro topic to get the picture.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Yes I'm sorry I don't have time to update that right this second but I know I switched to the liquid Zoloft on February 25th which was a Saturday and started doing the measuring taper as suggested on that day so this coming Saturday will be 4 weeks of doing it that way and with the mix up in the measuring difference we figured out I was still at about 87.5mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Prior to making the liquid Zoloft you were dry cutting your tablet, cutting the half a 25mg tablet into half to make my 87.5mg dose.

This means that when you changed over to making a liquid you were still on 87.5mg, but getting better accuracy.

"And as far as the measuring and making it more accurate can I use the clear glass measuring cup and the syringe to measure this next time because they seem to be more accurate and the sports bottle is what seems to be off?

So like use the syringe and measuring cup to measure out my 100ml into the sports bottle first so when I measure our with the syringe at night it's more accurate and we can now what I am taking?"

Yes, that would be a better way of measuring.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your signature to include:

the date when you started taking 87.5mg tablet Zoloft

the date when you started taking 87.5mg liquid Zoloft

We really need to have this information easily accessible, as Scallyway posted above.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Ok I updated my signature with the dates I started from the dry cut to now the liquid and I'm gonna measure out 100ml into the clear glass measuring cup them double check it using the syringe into the sports bottle to make it as accurate as I can for this next cut which will be Sunday if we go by the 4-6 week method.

So let me now what I need to do from here but I'm gonna keep everything the same as suggested till then.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their thoughts on your next drop.  Please do not change what you are currently doing until we have had a chance to discuss this.

Ok I want

Ok while I'm waiting for help with my next cut in the Zoloft coming up I've had some friends from BB send me a few messages and I wanted to know what everyone here thinks and if their is any validity to this?

I know when drugs are creating severe side effects its usually advised that a faster taper should be done. I was reading a post about a lady who was having similar problems to you and she was also put on zoloft 100mg whilst withdrawing from a benzo and she was advised to cut the dosage down by either 25% or 50% and she replied and said she was actually starting see improvements and she began feeling better.

Maybe you can ask the doctor if your taper can be faster cuz clearly you are in torment.

I jus saying! Who knows maybe it wud help. Cuz technically u are still on a large dose since lastyr and its making you worst

. Makes no sense dragging on the process.

There is a another buddie who also said she was on about 8 meds including antidepressants whilst in benzo withdrawal and it was all life threatening so she was forced to do a rapid taper on all the drugs at the same time and eventually she felt better.

Sometimes going slow if you are suffering may not be a good idea. Like i told you lorazepam was life threatening to me and even if i was told to CT i couldnt have tapered jus been suffering more. So either way getting off the drug swiftly was the best option. Cuz most of my symptoms stop suddenly from the second week CT.

Think about it all and consult the doctor. Like i said if the doctor isnt of good support and assistance...try a new one.

Ok here's on more reply from a buddie and I think it goes with some things you guys have told me so here it is:

Trying to ignore the fear im feeling right now from some strange symptoms so im jus reading a bit. I read your signature and i see you were "drug hopping" but some of the doses werent that huge. I see you also detoxed .75mg Xanax which is equivalent to 1.5mg Ativan thats not a large dose at all and you were detoxing.

So the issue is definitely zoloft but you also took Ativan previously so what u may be experiencing is Kindling. You came off one benzo and then you were put on after you were "clean" from Ativan.

No wonder you are suffering. The second time around for some people is worst. Its like u are shocking a brain that was already in the healing process.

My friend tells me she used to have all those symptoms you have from Zoloft.

So there u have it...Kindling and Zoloft. If u dont knw about kindling do a post on it. Get some more answers.

• Moderator Emeritus

When you cut from 100 to 87.5 your symptoms became much worse, so much that an updose was tried, but it was actually the same dose just more consistent.

If you were going to go up in dose but stayed at the same dose I am wondering why we are looking at a reduction. It is really hard when side effects are bad, because withdrawal can be worse. We try to think of harm reduction and work out which action will cause the least harm. Can you cope with feeling worse than you do already?  You probably think it can't get any worse but it did get worse when you cut to 87.5. Looking at your sig in less than a year you have reinstated prozac, switched to lexapro, started xanax and risperdal, stopped risperdal, started zoloft, and quit xanax. Your poor brain and nervous system are suffering from the chemical assault by your doctor.  You are no doubt suffering from xanax withdrawal, and your body needs some stability. I would stay as you are for a while longer for your nervous system to settle, and would strongly advise against any big cuts, especially after your experience going from the last cut. 

People all have their own experiences and what works for one harms another.  It would be best iof you choose which forum you want to follow. Going between different forums and listening to everyone's experiences becomes confusing. BB is for benzo withdrawal, we specialise in AD withdrawal and look very carefully at each member's circumstances and drug history.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yes ma'am the benzo withdraw is still severe at 5 months off and I don't think the Zoloft has helped my situation at all and I agree my brain has already been through so much and is still going through so much that any big changes right now is probably not good and as far as the Zoloft I'm for sure looking to the experts here for help that's why I posted some from BB here to see what y'all said being that yes I'm in still acute benzo WD but the drug unfortunately I still have to deal with because I let the doctors and my family talk me into it is Zoloft so I'll be staying here and I appreciate all the help and advice I can get cause the docs and my family have no clue and are part of the reason I'm in this spot now.

• Moderator Emeritus

This will get better Maize, it really will. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I hope so the suffering and torture has been constant and no relief has come and none in sight and between my damaged brain and the recent blood work and all this other going on with my body I wander if I'll survive all this or if it will ever get better?

New update in symptoms:

Over the past 3-4 days the head pressure burning numbness and physical pain pain has been actually worse and I can say the numbness in my forehead and my temples has been so bad I can hardly lift my eyes open and anytime I move my head or tense up the is a loud buzzing sound in my ears and intense burning numbness and pressure all throughout my head mainly in my forehead, temples, upti the middle of my head, down into my ears, in into the right side of my brain and down into my neck. So even though this has been constant their has for sure been a uptick in severity over the last few days to were it's causing nausea, making me light headed and dizzy when I stand or walk and it's really hard to do anything other than lay down and even then it's bad. It feels like my head is a ballon about to burst, and it's been put in a compactor and being squeezed with extreme pressure burning numbness and pain. This is the worst symptom I have and it seems to be getting worse and not better.

The other symptoms have been bad the last few days as well extreme confusion, DP/DR, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, anxiety to the point of not being able to breath or having panic attacks mild ones but it's been even hard to sleep the last few nights.

I don't understand why it just keeps getting worse and not better and I thought I should share the uptick in these symptoms before making the changes to the Zoloft so we could take all this into consideration but it's so hard to tell what's Benzo WD and what the Zoloft is doing too?

I'm pretty sure the head pressure or atleast the most of it is benzo related but I don't think the Zoloft is helping my case at all.

• Administrator

Maize, how much time each day do you spend in front of a computer?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Maize - 

I understand you are eager to reduce.  I am eager for you to reduce, too, as I think the Zoloft is overstimulating.

But we have to be careful.  As Mamma pointed out (thank you for your research and insight MammaP!) you have had a lot of changes in the last 2 years, and this may not be all benzo related.  It may be that the bouncing around of antidepressants are what set you up for a rough road with your benzo withdrawal.

The BB's were right that you may be kindled.  That's exactly why we want to be careful.  If you think 5 months is a long time, trust me - it's still "normal withdrawal window."  It's not even into "protracted" territory in my opinion (though doctors would disagree).  

MammaP suggests that you haven't given it enough time to settle.  Your last major adjustment was just a month ago.  We don't count the total time, just the time since the last change.  5 months, 5 years - it's really the last change we look at (or the last 6 months of changes).

You are suffering and champing at the bit to reduce, to prove that the Zoloft is the problem.  You still haven't reached the "pointy end" of Zoloft (the last 25 mg).  So you may have a little leeway for a drop as the BB's suggest.  I do not, however consider a 25% drop to be wise unless you are working with a doctor who understands.  Dr. Kelly Brogan recommends that the first drop be 25% - but she is an MD and can monitor her patients.  We are internet voices who don't have on the ground support.

There is another side to this, too.  I sense that there is a spiritual / emotional / social / self esteem component to your success.  You can mess with the drugs all you want, but unless you are willing to do some self examination and make some changes, the reduction of drugs will be limited to how much you have been able to shift your paradigm in relationship to why you went on the drugs in the first place.  I'm not a therapist, but there are a million ways you can look at:  your relationship to the mother of your children, your relationship to your parents, your feelings about your religion - how does it help, how does it seem hard? Do you believe in your recovery?  Disbelieve?  Why?  Do you feel deserving of recovery?   A million questions.  I am NOT asking them here - this is not the forum for that.  But I've learned, when I have a problem - right now it seems to be heart issues (related to trust, acceptance, giving & receiving love) - it directly relates to the way I'm thinking about things.  I'm not saying that shifting my paradigm will cure my heart trouble - but I am saying it will be hard to get better without shifting my paradigm.

Change the Channel

So - when you complain of head pressure - how can you look at that?  Can you make drawings of it? Tell stories about what it feels like for you?  Write about the different forces you see coming into play with your head pressure and pain?  (see: Journalling - Therapeutic Writing)   Can you talk to someone about it?  Possibly make a buddy here on SA (hint:  go to google, type in "survivingantidepressants zoloft" to find others on the same drug as you, or "survivingantidepressants head pressure" to find someone with the same symptoms as you) and talk to them privately about your stories and issues.  Telling your story - whether in a journal, to a therapist, to a counsellor, or a friend - is vitally important to healing your story.

http://www.brainline.org/content/2008/07/how-clean-stinking-thinking-and-cope-better.html

Back to the drugs.  Keeping in mind:  You have not tried Epsom salts, magnesium, fish oil to help with your pressure and pain.  You have not taken daily walks to help relieve your pressure.  You have not tried any of the techniques we have offered you which we consider essential to coming off the drugs successfully.  You have dozens of excellent suggestions from nearly all of the moderators here, and we've yet to see you try any non-drug techniques to aid with your symptoms.  Instead, you continue to push through, thinking that pushing is going to ease your pressure.  Withdrawal symptoms are serious, and pushing through them can backfire horribly. 

I hate so say this, but sometimes I must:  you think that things cannot get worse - but they can.  They can always get worse, where these drugs are concerned.  You think it's been a long time - but I promise you, it could be a lot longer, especially if you don't tend to yourself.

I do think you were put on too high of a dose of Zoloft.  I do think it was not a good choice for your doctor to make, but you were complaining, and he did what he thought might relieve your problem.  Of course, it's horrible that he doesn't have to live with the complications this has caused - but he's largely unaware of them.  

So - you have been on the same form of the same dose for a month.  Here are your options:

1.  Hold for 2 more weeks, to see if you can get a reduction in symptoms.  This will be helped if you can try the things suggested in your thread to help relieve your symptoms.

2.  Reduce by 5% to see how you will react to a reduction.

3.  Reduce by 10% and if it goes horribly wrong (wait 4 days), reinstate 5%.  This will result in a net 5% reduction - it is a bumpier ride than #2, but with the hope that you can possibly get a bigger reduction.  You will have to hold longer if this reduction results in a reinstatement.

More than the drugs, it is your Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms which will help you the most.  

I would be more inclined to recommend a reduction if you had tried Epsom salts baths (lukewarm water) or foot soaks (cold water would be best for headache), or daily walks, or breathing techniques (Pranayama - Yogic Breathing) - any of the things suggested here for you. 

Let us know your choice, and we'll try and help.  But you have to help yourself, too.

Well as far as in front of a computer not much but my phone constantly it's the one source or distraction I have

As far as what I'm trying to do I am trying to stay optimistic I keep myself busy with chores around the house I've actually been to 3 interviews since last week so I'm trying to find a job I can handle for nowbthat will get me out of the house and as soon as I can do that I'm going to try and go to the gym and do some lite weights and light waking on a treadmill to start so I am trying and some days are better than others but it's this constant horrible pressure in my head that is so dibilatating and keeps me from doing a lot some days worse than others.

Ok so I really need help with what to do with the Zoloft cause this Saturday will be 4 weeks since I switched over to the liquid and with the mix up and inconsisten measuring of that we came up with 87.5mg as my current dose so if I did drop would it be to 75mg next and how would I do that? Would it be 100ml and subtraction of 2 1/2 10ml syringe?

With me planning hopefully starting work should I just stay for another couple of weeks then go? I'm confused and do need some help and I appreciate all the help and advice all of you have given me!

Oh and I can't handle worse and I'm willing to do whatever o have to to prevent that cause trust me it's bad enough already and I have tried to explain my history from day one of these drugs to the best of my knowledge and what I've been through the last year and I just updated my signature per everyone's request and I just updated my current symptoms explaining them the best I can to try and help but I for sure need some guidance cause these doctors and my family have no clue what I'm going through and I'm not going on anymore drugs or going back to the hospital knowing that's all they would want to do so I really an depending on y'all help and I'm very thankful for it.

As far as a buddy to talk to and that prays for me that's my mom without her and Gods grace I wouldn't be here and I couldn't make it from day to day

Sorry one more thing I know a million questions but on the next drop would it be better to go to 80mg to make it even and easier to go down from here and then I would just measure 100ml dissolve the tablet over night then WD 2 10ml syringe when it's time to take it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Dropping to 80mg would be about and 8% drop and yes it would be easier to measure than doing a 10% drop.  Yes, you would dissolve table in 100ml and take out 2 x 10ml syringes and drink the 80ml remaining.

"Well as far as in front of a computer not much but my phone constantly it's the one source or distraction I have"

Have you read this topic yet?  I am sure it has been mentioned several times.  Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

We have continually made suggestions about things which may help you and have also told you that you are the one that has to try them to find things which work for you.  This is not for our benefit, but for yours.

"I'm trying to find a job I can handle for nowbthat will get me out of the house and as soon as I can do that I'm going to try and go to the gym and do some lite weights and light waking on a treadmill"

You can start getting out of the house now by going for a short walk around the block.  You don't have to wait until you find a suitable job.

Ok well I'm trying and doing the best I can I promise. I had a horrible night last night and just woke up this morning and the pressure numbness burning and physical pain is so bad I can't hardly breath or stand up I feel nauseous like I'm gonna throw up and just physically sick.

I can't take epsom salt cause we only have a stand up shower here and I stay so busy through out the day it's hard to get time to just take a walk especially with my kids being out for spring break this week.

But I'm doing all I can and with everything going I guess the next move is to decide what to do with the Zoloft next? This Saturday will be 4 weeks since I switched to the liquid and what we've found to still be around 87.5mg so I do want to start measuring with the clear glass measuring cup and the syringe instead of the water bottle to make it more accurate so I know what I'm taking. And giving my history which I've updated to the best of my knowledge and my current symptoms which I've also updated the best I can what should I do as of this weekend or where do I go from here?

• Moderator Emeritus

"I can't take epsom salt cause we only have a stand up shower"

We offer you suggestions and you continually respond with excuses.  Have you even checked out the Magnesium topic?

In post #312 above JanCarol said:  "Epsom salts baths (lukewarm water) or foot soaks (cold water would be best for headache)"

You continually post about how bad your symptoms are and we respond with suggestions for things that might help you to feel a bit better.  As I said previously, we are doing this for your benefit.

The only thing that I can remember you trying was a light jog, which was too much.  I followed this up with a suggestion to start with gentle walking and in the post above you have given yet another excuse.  It was at leastt 1 week ago that I suggested walking.  You don't have to go out for hours on end.  As I said even 10-15 minutes walking around the yard or up the street and back.

"But I'm doing all I can"

I don't think you are.  Other mods have previously given you suggestions and asked you to post back telling about what you tried and how it went.  Again you only seem to have done 1 thing - a light jog.  I'm not going to waste time going back to find when and where they made those suggestions so that I can quote them but I have been following your topic so I know that they are there.

"the next move is to decide what to do with the Zoloft next"

I think you may be relying too heavily that reducing your Zoloft is going to improve your symptoms.  It might and it might not.  Even if it does, you will still most likely experience windows and waves.  People tapering experience windows and waves throughout their taper.  We have been making the suggestions not only to try and help you find some relief now but also to help you to fill your toolbox with non drug things that you can use when the waves hit during the rest of your taper, and also once you are off your drug/s.

• Moderator Emeritus

Only you can make the decision of when to reduce and by how much.

JC gave you the following options and you also have the option of reducing to 80mg, an 8% reduction, because it is easier to get the dose than doing the full 10% reduction to 78.75mg.

A 5% reduction would be 83mg.

So - you have been on the same form of the same dose for a month.  Here are your options:

1.  Hold for 2 more weeks, to see if you can get a reduction in symptoms.  This will be helped if you can try the things suggested in your thread to help relieve your symptoms.

2.  Reduce by 5% to see how you will react to a reduction.

3.  Reduce by 10% and if it goes horribly wrong (wait 4 days), reinstate 5%.  This will result in a net 5% reduction - it is a bumpier ride than #2, but with the hope that you can possibly get a bigger reduction.  You will have to hold longer if this reduction results in a reinstatement.

Yes ma'am and whether you believe it or not I am trying to hold onto hope but the suffering has went on for so long with no relief and no end in sight. And it's hard to do anything when you are suffering so bad and so mentally and physically sick.

Last night and today have been horrific so bad that I've literally broke down to the point of crying and just wanting to give up. For those who never experienced the head pressure and physical symptoms in their brain from the destruction these drugs can cause count yourselves lucky cause this is torture and suffering more than I could have ever imagined and something I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy. And it's hard to fight for so long only to see no improvement and have things actually get worse and I didn't know the dangers of these drugs and what they could really do to me but if I survive this I'd be the first to dedicate my life to bannaing these drugs to make sure no one has to suffer this way ever again!

As far as the Zoloft I don't know what to do? I haven't changed anything since going to the liquid even after we found that their was a descipency with the measuring from the sports bottle and the syringe I've left it alone and haven't changed it yet as instructed.

I do think the majority of my symptoms are still benzo related but I don't think the Zoloft has helped my case any and it is yet another drug I have to taper and recover from and I worry it's gonna be to much for me to overcome.

I don't want to be stupid although I want off all of these poison drugs so I'm willing to try anything to get off the Zoloft without causing to much more damage and to minimize WD from that.

I do have a question though? I'm getting a pretty sever sinus infection that has just come on the last day or so, so could that be making my symptoms worse?

• Moderator Emeritus

"I am trying to hold onto hope"

What we have been suggesting has nothing to do with trying to hold on to hope.  It has everything to do with learning non drug techniques to distract and self-soothe.

An analogy to do with distraction:  If you stub your toe and it hurts like billyo, if you keep dwelling on the fact that it hurts it will keep on hurting and may even feel worse that it actually is.  If you do things to take your mind off the pain, it does not seem as bad.

Many things can cause our symptoms to worsen.  SA's topic on sinus congestion:   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1829-sinus-congestion-sneezing-and-runny-nose/ 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Maize:

Well as far as in front of a computer not much but my phone constantly it's the one source or distraction I have

That's because you haven't tried any others.

The phone is harder on your brain than the computer - because usually the computer is more than 2' from your body.  The phone is constantly scanning, connecting to networks - I know - everybody does it - but we haven't really reaped the long term consequences of that!

If you put a phone near a beehive, the bees get lost.  It is a contributing factor to colony collapse disorder.  

Are you sure you want that much EM near your body and brain?

EVERY smart phone has "do not disturb" hours.  It would be healthy for you to have times of the day that you put aside the phone.  You understand fasting from food, to gain clearer insight?  Well, this is fasting from phone - for the same reason.  

I was watching a panel on spiritual emergency, and it suggested that physical work can help you work through better than a desk job.  The ultimate being gardening, as you are working with earth and plants, the cycle of life.

I'm getting a pretty sever sinus infection that has just come on the last day or so, so could that be making my symptoms worse? 

This might be an opportunity for your head pressure to release.  

In traditional herbal medicine, in order to treat a symptom, we choose a substance that makes it worse to hasten the healing.  You may come out on the other side of this infection with a shift in symptoms.

If you have a sinus infection, this is no time to taper.  

It IS time to take menthol and eucalyptus steam for your sinuses, rest.  Sit in the sun to dry up the infection.

So you don't have a bath - which would be ideal - by relaxing your whole body.  OK.  So use a bucket.  I showed you my red bucket, right?  Cold water soaks on the feet should help pull pressure from your head, and your body could use the magnesium in the Epsom salts.

And neck stretches.  I showed you some of those, too.

Everything you have tried is pushing, pushing, pushing, and you are getting more sick.  It's time to find something that makes you less sick.  Find something that feels good.  That eases your symptoms.

I hope you see the sun today (but gentle walk, not run)

Well I know this is a sinus infection and it's hot hard today it's so bad that between that and the intensity of the physical pain in my head I'm already in bed and can't hardly move right now.

Do you think I should start measuring now with the syringe and measuring cup to make it more accurate and if so how would I do that?

With this sinus infection I just wandered if the uptick and severity of my symptoms were made worse by this infection coming on and if so is it safe to take a round of antibiotics cause that's usually what I do when it gets this bad?

I can say between last night today and how I feel tonight it hasn't been this bad since a month ago when I went in to the ER and they did that Ct scan and I haven't been to the point of giving up and breaking down and crying and going back to the ER before today!