Computer/phone Screens making symptoms worse?

InTorment

Does anyone find that using your computer or phone revs up symptoms? I don't know if it's all in my head or what. I even become a lot more depressed especially after prolonged use. I've also noticed at certain times my eyes become a lot more sensitive to screens especially when the backround is white.

I've heard of people using amber glasses and such but I know that usually they're just used for light sensitivity and used at night mostly to help the production of melatonin since the blue light from computers/phones/tablets/tv/etc lowers it.

Please feel free to chime in on the subject as I'm very curious about this.

2007 - started 2700 mg gabapentin for pain, 900 mg 3x/day for pain

2007-2011 - continued gabapentin, some dose adjustments including to maximum of 3600 mg

November 2011 - cold turkey stop, after 3 weeks of "complete hell"  I reinstated at 2700 mg

December 2011 - today (2016)

2700 mg gabapentin - several unsuccessful attempted slow tapers, <10%/month - became increasingly sensitive to variations in timing of doses and meals

Current Symptoms - severe akathisia, dysautonomia symptoms, SEVERE depression, anxiety fear (intense dysphoria)  interdose withdrawal

extreme sensitivity to dose timing, water and food consumption; variation btrings on withdrawal 

SOO many side effects and withdrawal symptoms. will add later

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been studying EM, electromagnetic interference with the brain.  Cellphones are particularly bad at it. 

Wifi is another thing, broadcasting all around you.  Then there's Bluetooth, yet another radio frequency, often close to our brains.   I used to leave my wifi off unless I needed to dial in, but have gotten lazy.

In case I am sounding paranoid, here's Scientific American:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mind-control-by-cell/

It's an unprecedented human experiment!   They try and soothe us against the possible dangers, but the fact is, Pandora's box is open, and the creatures it has released are not going back in the box.

THEN, if you add the blue light from the screen (there would be a lot of blue light in a white screen), it can mess with your melatonin (and maybe cortisol, too) cycles.

I am a fan of fasting from the cellphone.  Untether yourself.  Turn it OFF.   Have a few hours a day where it is nowhere near you.  If sleep is the issue, make those hours after 6 pm.  In the "old days," nobody needed to reach us after 6 pm, why is it so acceptable now?  I take this a step further, and rarely have my phone near me.  I use it for phone calls, texts, and reading books, listening to music.  Nothing else.  I do not let it talk to the internet, unless I want to download an app.  I do not buy "data" for my phone.  It is a tool, and it is my slave.  I am not a slave to it.  I will not let it be my master.

If you find you forgot to turn it on again, how awful is that?  It's not the end of the world, to be unreachable on a moment's notice.

If your phone is your main source of entertainment, consider switching modes.  A TV across the room is less disruptive than a phone in your face, or near your head, shining directly in your eyes.  Even a computer can have f.lux installed to "sunset" the blues. 

Yes, the amber glasses can help, but that's kind of like taking a pill to compensate for a bad habit.  It's still non-drug, but it would be better to correct the habit. (yes, I have the amber glasses, and they do help with headaches and sleep when I am computing at night).

If your body is reacting, it's telling you what to do.

Cellphones can cause bees to become lost.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 6 years later...

titled: Electronic screen sensitivity/ overstimulation

@Medved

mod note(manymoretodays): moved to similar topic and linked to how to search prior to starting new topic:

Does anyone have certain things that intensify their symptoms?
In example, i have big trouble with electronic screens. I have hard time watching tv or using a phone. They drive me into overstimulation instantly. When i do, i get intensification of my symptoms. I get mental akathisia, i start to twitch, i start to pee a lot,my stomach makes funny noises,i immediately become pain sensitive and even scratching hurts,i start to produce a lot of gas,i get IRRITABLE soooo much that i go into anger/rage mode...
Can anyone relate?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged and added title, link to how to search if similar topic already exists

Zoloft 09'-10' 50mg
Zoloft 50mg May 2019- April 2021, CT but tinkering with doses before CT

• 6 months later...
  • Mentor
On 12/29/2016 at 11:25 PM, JanCarol said:

If your body is reacting, it's telling you what to do.

You said it JanCarol!!! Everything in your post !  
Our health benefits at work do challenges and one of them recently was to fast from phone so many hours a day. 

On 12/29/2016 at 11:25 PM, JanCarol said:

It is a tool, and it is my slave.  I am not a slave to it.  I will not let it be my master.

👌👍.  I think we could put these cell phones right in there with any other addiction. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy