Dental surgery, dental medications, tooth discoloration

spidey

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this here yet as I haven't read through the full thread again but, I wanted to put this out there since it will likely help a lot of people.

If you need cavities done now in some areas you may be able to get them done with lasers.  For cavities that can be treated with lasers there is no need for anesthetic.  Some cavities can't be done with lasers from what I've been told.  But the ones that can apparently can be done without anesthetic.  I had one done with a laser, I felt only a slight twinge of pain and didn't have to have anesthetic (not even topical anesthetic).  They have to use a drill later in the procedure but it's just to shape the filling I think. 

For those who are interested look up holistic dentists you may find one in your area using this.  It likely will be more expensive than traditional dentistry though. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I meant to add--during the laser procedure I could see flashes of light with my eyes shut while they were doing it.  So if you are someone who gets serious after images the laser procedure might prove bothersome. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there anyone noticed the unusual symptom of 'gum bleeding' like me?

For the last couple of months, everytime I brush my teeth, gums bleed apparently. My dentist has checked it and there is not any dental problem for being a cause. 

Any suggestion as a remedy?

6 months treatment of prozac in 1996 (do not remember any withdrawal symptom)

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

October 2017- Suicidal. Had to start Mirtazapine

17 December 2017 LAST DOSE   

NO DRUG AFTER 17 DECEMBER 2017.

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Rinsing several times a day with warm, salty water.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

48 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Rinsing several times a day with warm, salty water.

ChessieCat, thank you for your suggestion.

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

Are you feeling anxious? 

Just a thought but you may be subconsciously brushing too hard? 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, Nevertoolate said:

Are you feeling anxious? 

Just a thought but you may be subconsciously brushing too hard? 

Nevertoolate,

I had awful times, when I was so anxious, so desperate, so suicidal....but this is something different,  I am sure it is related with WD. One of those weird symptoms. 

Oh I hope it sorts itself out soon for you. 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

17 minutes ago, Nevertoolate said:

Oh I hope it sorts itself out soon for you. 

Thank you 🙏

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

The last couple of times have had dental work I have had the non-adrenaline injection and it makes a huge difference.  I don't spend all the time in the dentist chair having to calm myself down from the added adrenaline.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 1 month later...

I am having a tooth issue and am unsure what to do.  Maybe someone here has some expertise and advice?

I have been having sensitivity on one side of my mouth for a while now.  Finally had it looked at and they said the only thing that could be wrong is a filling i had a long while back.  Could be cavity.  Hard to say how bad until they drill into it. 

I was told there is a possibility I will need a root canal or have it taken out.

Naturally, I am not too thrilled about the idea of having any work done let alone root canal or extraction.

I talked to dentist about no epi freezing and my sense was that they thought it could be problematic due to how many injections I would need.  Said we could see how it goes but may need epi. 

I really don't want the epi though.  So said something about sensitivities and I don't want to have bad reaction and have them have to deal with me if that goes on.

I was also advised to get silver filling, which I have been told lasts longer, and I believe that, but don't want.  I think they will do the white filling if asked.

But now I am worried that I may get there and mid-procedure be told that I am getting epi. 

Second issue is that I had seen dentist earlier in the year, a different one, who claimed I needed large number of "cavities" filled.  I went with needing two that I could see I needed to have done.  It seemed outrageous, that I had far more than two.  This was a holistic person, and the cost is more expensive, so I was not very happy.  So what I did was I got the laser done on the teeth I knew needed doing, then didn't go back.  Instead I went to this other dentist a while later, I had my teeth looked at with a general x-ray and was told I did not need anything done! Or rather that that sort of x-ray had not caught any problems. I was supposed to go in for more specific X-ray which I was told might show something and was meaning to do that but had not gotten to it.

So now I am not sure if that more specific one would have caught this current problem earlier, if I had it back then and it was missed somehow, or if it is a new issue.

But the point of this is to say, I don't know who to go to now. I would rather see the dentist I just saw but if there is a risk that mid-procedure they change up the anesthetic, then I am not going to handle that well.

The other dentist seems very likely to have tried to scam me to do work on teeth that don't need it. I keep getting calls from them about getting one tooth done..that is not bothering me even slightly!  I feel also like when I express concerns about the sensitivities etc like I am constantly viewed as a hypochondriac.  So that adds to my desire not to see these people.  They will I believe though stick to what I want done.  The trouble is I could go in there and say I have a problem on the one side of my mouth and they may try to fill some other tooth first, if they are scamming me...One that does not need doing.

Also, I am wondering what is involved in root canal or extraction.  If I go and they find I need a root canal, I assume they put a temporary filling in?  I would guess that is not made of silver but does anyone know? is there any risk from temporary fillings? 

Also if you have to have root canal can they inject pain meds into you during a procedure, or if there is an extraction going on?  I don't want them and I"m guessing they don't do this, but just need some reassurance here. 

Lastly, should I be told I need an antibiotic, has anyone here who has tinnitus found one that they can handle, ie did it make tinnitus worse?

Has anyone who had akathisia tried freezing with epinephrine after they recovered and if so did aka come back?

• 6 months later...

I need a root canal done but it will be hard to do it as most of the dentists where I live are not at work.  The place that will see me is a long way away and costs a lot more than my regular dentist charges.  So I'm unsure if I will even end up going...but never having had a root canal before I wonder if anyone has answers to these questions.

If I was to go in and have the work done and it turns out that my tooth is infected what happens?  Do they put a temporary filling in and then make me take an antibiotic before getting the rest of it done?

I was offered an AB from my last dentist before the lockdown started as I was set to get this done there, but the trouble is it turns out that I can't take that one.  I went down a list of ABs with the same dentist and basically every one of them can cause an issue that I already have, so I don't even know what if anything is safe to take anymore.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

About dental surgery:

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

@Moonpie, you'll have to explain you're very sensitive to anesthesia and to antibiotics. Isn't the anesthesia local -- they don't knock you out, do they? Local is less likely to cause problems.

You might also tell the dentist you're sensitive to epinephrine and adrenaline, and ask him or her not to use it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to have jaw surgery soon and I’m extremely nervous about all the medications I will have to take afterward. I will need to take antibiotics, narcotics & ibuprofen or acetaminophen along with the anesthesia of course. Has anyone done anything like this and is it possible for them to make adjustments? I’m particularly worried about the narcotics..

• Moderator Emeritus

• 1 year later...

Three weeks ago i had a tooth extration i only used carbacaine for numbing and a total of 2 reg tylenols for after care , the tooth was really hard to take out and it was really stressful on my body and mind ,but i  was fine after no reactions but now three weeks later i feel some early wd symtoms like a wave , my period just passed and i thought it was that , but now im wondering can this be a wave from the extration three weeks ago ? my symtoms are 

ramped up health anxiety

ramped head pains 

ramped up intrusive thoughts

ramped up feeling off 

ramped up feeling like im going to die 

basicly all my weakened wd symptoms are ramped up which makes me think the tooth extraction caused it because i have not did anything else extreme or eaten anything crazy , the only thing is having my period that ended two days ago. If anyone has any insite on this please reach out , i am 29 month out from a adverse reaction 🙏

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

I reacted to Celexa too, I'm sorry you did as well. 

Just my opinion but having had stressful tooth procedures done I think if it was a wave relating to extraction it would hit immediately.  I handled carbo okay, but, the stress of just going in would cause me to feel a bit more stressed for the rest of the day once it wore off.  

One time they gave me twice as much as I usually get. Instead of having a severe reaction though, I actually came out of the office feeling really giddy.  Then I nearly passed out crossing a street because it also made me feel dizzy.  But I didn't care that I nearly passed out, I was just too giddy to care.  Not sure if that's a normal reaction to having too much anesthetic or what but, somehow it seemed to mildly tame withdrawal.  (For anyone reading along I'm not suggesting this is a treatment for withdrawal though!)

And if it was the carbocaine I'd assume you'd react really fast to it too, not three weeks later. Have there been any other changes going on?  I always had issues with heat in summer personally, never have figured out why my withdrawal/reaction symptoms got worse in the heat.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I’m getting dental work done and fear I’ll be thrown into a wave.  I could tolerate Carbocaine in the past but I’ve read it is discontinued?  What else can be used that is adrenaline free?  Carbocaine was used on those who were pregnant.  I’m not pregnant so have no idea what is available now.  Thanks!

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

@Tootsieroll please see discussion above and in 

Please use search in the Symptoms forum before starting new topics. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@Tootsieroll please see discussion above and in 

Please use search in the Symptoms forum before starting new topics. Thank you.

Thanks @Altostrata!  Will do!

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy