anongrl5590: Withdrawing from Prozac

anongrl5590

anongrl5590 -

My symptoms did take a big turn for the worse at three months.  That is very normal with Prozac withdrawal, unfortunately.  I never reinstated because my body could not longer tolerate Prozac.  I basically went cold turkey off the medicine. 

I have had some many symptoms in withdrawal but my biggest ones when I first went off were:  nausea, no appetite, internal shaking (tremors), smell hallucinations, insomnia and constant crying.  I was so nauseous for the first 14 months that I lost 55 pounds and was diagnosed with delayed gastric emptying. It was hell.  Thankfully I am able to eat now.  I am still struggling on a daily basis with my symptoms.  I know it will take me a long time to heal because I was on it for over 12 years. 

I have had tingling skin, muscle tension and internal tremors.  The tremors were so bad I was sent to a neurologist and had a CT Scan and MRI.  Everything was normal.

I understand the feeling of I'm dying.  I felt that way for a long time.  All I wanted to know was when am I going to feel better. 

I know you are four months out from your last Prozac. I know there is a window when you can reinstate.  If you decide to I know the moderators can help you.  What I have read from others stopping Prozac is that at the three month marker they start feeling worse and that is what happened to me and it sounds like it happened to you. 

Hang in there and whatever you decide I am here for you!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

anongrl5590 -

My symptoms did take a big turn for the worse at three months.  That is very normal with Prozac withdrawal, unfortunately.  I never reinstated because my body could not longer tolerate Prozac.  I basically went cold turkey off the medicine. 

I have had some many symptoms in withdrawal but my biggest ones when I first went off were:  nausea, no appetite, internal shaking (tremors), smell hallucinations, insomnia and constant crying.  I was so nauseous for the first 14 months that I lost 55 pounds and was diagnosed with delayed gastric emptying. It was hell.  Thankfully I am able to eat now.  I am still struggling on a daily basis with my symptoms.  I know it will take me a long time to heal because I was on it for over 12 years. 

I have had tingling skin, muscle tension and internal tremors.  The tremors were so bad I was sent to a neurologist and had a CT Scan and MRI.  Everything was normal.

I understand the feeling of I'm dying.  I felt that way for a long time.  All I wanted to know was when am I going to feel better. 

I know you are four months out from your last Prozac. I know there is a window when you can reinstate.  If you decide to I know the moderators can help you.  What I have read from others stopping Prozac is that at the three month marker they start feeling worse and that is what happened to me and it sounds like it happened to you. 

Hang in there and whatever you decide I am here for you!

I see, I guess I have reached a badly severe wave hitting the 3-month mark... I hope it doesn't last long but it seems like it's not letting go any time soon. My windows are so small now it hurts to not have them anymore.

During last summer, I did double my dose from 20mg to 40mg/day in which I also had a verrrry bad reaction to and had to go to the ER. It was for this reason that I decided to lower my dose and fast taper off of it (but basically a CT).

Have the symptoms you experienced the first 14 mos eased? Are your physical symptoms just as bad as the beginning? Did it get any better for you after the 3-month mark?

I am still debating on reinstating ... Half of me says to do it and half of me says to keep pushing through because I'm already far out into WD.

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

anongrl5590 -

The fact that you are having windows this soon in withdrawal is promising.  I didn't have my first window until a year after I stopped Prozac and when I did it only lasted a little while.  You will have windows again, just hang on until then. 

Yes, my symptoms have eased and changed since going off Prozac.  My physical symptoms are not as bad as they were in the beginning.  Once I hit the three month marker and all hell began it took over a year to start feeling better.  It was a very long slow process.  I am still dealing with symptoms, but they are not as bad.  When you have a moment read my introduction story.  You will see how far I have come and even read how desperate I was to feel better. 

Reinstating wasn't an option for me because my body couldn't tolerate the change in generic formula from one manufacture to another.  That is the reason I went off Prozac.  If I could have reinstated I probably would have because I was so desperate to feel better.  But I have made it this far so I am glad I didn't reinstate.  Knowing me I would have just stayed on the Prozac, which wasn't good either.  I was having a lot of side effects on the medicine, but I didn't know they were cause from the Prozac until I went off Prozac.  I use to have headaches everyday and once I stopped Prozac my headaches went away. 

I understand about being far out into withdrawal and is it worth it to reinstate.  Plus it isn't guarantee to help. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

anongrl5590 -

The fact that you are having windows this soon in withdrawal is promising. I didn't have my first window until a year after I stopped Prozac and when I did it only lasted a little while. You will have windows again, just hang on until then.

Yes, my symptoms have eased and changed since going off Prozac. My physical symptoms are not as bad as they were in the beginning. Once I hit the three month marker and all hell began it took over a year to start feeling better. It was a very long slow process. I am still dealing with symptoms, but they are not as bad. When you have a moment read my introduction story. You will see how far I have come and even read how desperate I was to feel better.

Reinstating wasn't an option for me because my body couldn't tolerate the change in generic formula from one manufacture to another. That is the reason I went off Prozac. If I could have reinstated I probably would have because I was so desperate to feel better. But I have made it this far so I am glad I didn't reinstate. Knowing me I would have just stayed on the Prozac, which wasn't good either. I was having a lot of side effects on the medicine, but I didn't know they were cause from the Prozac until I went off Prozac. I use to have headaches everyday and once I stopped Prozac my headaches went away.

I understand about being far out into withdrawal and is it worth it to reinstate. Plus it isn't guarantee to help.

The windows don't last long for me anymore though... Each day I am so scared and I'm crying out more because the physical pain in my legs and body overall is so agonizing! My muscles get so tense and energized that I feel like ripping them off! I also feel so bad for my family who has to endure what I'm going through.

I'm also scared I have life-threatening sxs... For example:

- I see black flickers or blinkers that are now happening more frequently (I'm not sure if it's WD or its caused by my chronic viral conjunctivitis that I've been having the last 2 months now). I think I'm slowly going blind!

- every time I go to the bathroom to poop, it's always diarrhea. I'm scared I now have IBS or something more severe

- my skin continually burns and tingles, especially in my hands

- I'm now getting tinnitus and it's freaking me out

- my nasal cavity and mouth are dried up

- overall, my sxs are worsening. It's way worse than when I started WD

I am scared to continue to CT now because I feel like my body is shutting down and I'm very VERY scared to go blind! Seeing the black flickering is giving me so much anxiety.

I don't know what to do. I've even had suicidal ideations.

My medication -- Prozac
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)

Can any of the mods or someone help me? I'm feeling so scared, alone, and outta my mind

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen a doctor about your digestive symptoms? An optometrist or opthamologist about your visual symptoms?

Some people find relief in getting confirmation that nothing is physically wrong.

All the items you've listed can be withdrawal symptoms:
Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred and/or dimmed vision.
Digestive problems - nausea, diarrhea, GERD.

Tinnitus -- What does all that noise mean?.

Paresthesia -- pins and needles, numbness, tingling or burning sensations.

Uncontrollable crying spells during and after withdrawal.

Reinstating now is unpredictable. Please re-read the reinstatement topic and come back here to post any questions you have.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you scallywag for replying.

I have yet to see a Dr about my GI issues (I plan to schedule an appointment) but I have seen an opthalmologist. She said I do have chronic viral conjunctivitis and has suggested I take a steroid for it since it's not healing any time soon. Would a steroid impede my healing since my body is so sensitized? Also I feel dumb but I didn't tell her about the black flickering visuals I've been seeing since it wasn't as frequent up until now...

Also I have other concerns:

Due to having CT'd on Prozac in September (without knowledge of needing to taper), I have considered reinstating but it is already 4 months out (3 of which I have had WD). Should I try to reinstate now? I am considering this because for the first 2 months, I had a good pattern of larger windows and waves but now the waves are 24/7 with little windows. It feels like my recovery is worsening as I am experiencing new sxs that are more intense and last longer everyday that has also hindered my sleep every night. All my sxs are mainly physical (my body is constantly buzzing on edge, agitated, tingling skin, shaking, night sweats, dry mouth, diarrhea 24/7, head pressure, etc.). I think I may be in the acute phase as opposed to the windows and waves pattern now. My windows only last maybe 1-3 hours at most lately. Other members have told me to not reinstate as it is too late and I should ride it out. But what do you think?

Also other questions:

1. Is it normal to go into acute after having had the W/W pattern in the beginning?

2. Do physical sxs tend to last as long as psychological sxs?

3. Can psychological sxs pop up at a later time?

4. Does age play a factor in recovery? I'm 27 years old. Have only taken Prozac for a year.

Sorry if these are dumb questions ... I know everyone is genetically different and reactions to these drugs vary but I am just wondering if there are any trends so far to base on. I guess I'm just trying to find hope in this mess I'm in.

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

Have you found anything that helps with the physical pain that you are experiencing? 

I have never heard of "sxs"  Can you explain that to me. 

I also have conjunctivitis and I have noticed it is worse since I have been in withdrawal.  I think it was good that you went to an eye doctor to get check out. 

I would say the diarrhea is from the withdrawal.  I had major stomach issues and it slowly healed.  I have read about a lot of people having diarrhea with w/d.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids so that you do not get dehydrated. 

I had the tingling skin in my face for awhile, but it went away.  I still occasionally get it but it doesn't last very long. 

I also had tinnitus and even went to an ENT.  There was nothing wrong with my ears.  It lasted about two months. 

I have also had suicidal thoughts.  Going through withdrawal is NOT easy.  Remember the suicidal thoughts are just thoughts and it is part of w/d.  Your body is adjusting to not taking the medicine.  One thing I have learned in the journey is that healing is slow.  There are many days when I just want to feel better now and I get angry and yell because I am not feeling well.  I get jealous of other people living their lives.  Usually all those feelings and thoughts hit me when I am having a wave.  I try to remind myself that this will pass but it isn't easy.  Just take one day at a time or even one hour at a time.  You got this!

anongrl5590 -

Have you found anything that helps with the physical pain that you are experiencing? 

I have never heard of "sxs"  Can you explain that to me. 

I also have conjunctivitis and I have noticed it is worse since I have been in withdrawal.  I think it was good that you went to an eye doctor to get check out. 

I would say the diarrhea is from the withdrawal.  I had major stomach issues and it slowly healed.  I have read about a lot of people having diarrhea with w/d.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids so that you do not get dehydrated. 

I had the tingling skin in my face for awhile, but it went away.  I still occasionally get it but it doesn't last very long. 

I also had tinnitus and even went to an ENT.  There was nothing wrong with my ears.  It lasted about two months. 

I have also had suicidal thoughts.  Going through withdrawal is NOT easy.  Remember the suicidal thoughts are just thoughts and it is part of w/d.  Your body is adjusting to not taking the medicine.  One thing I have learned in the journey is that healing is slow.  There are many days when I just want to feel better now and I get angry and yell because I am not feeling well.  I get jealous of other people living their lives.  Usually all those feelings and thoughts hit me when I am having a wave.  I try to remind myself that this will pass but it isn't easy.  Just take one day at a time or even one hour at a time.  You got this!

I haven't found anything that really eases the physical pain. :(

"sxs" is short for symptoms

Yes, I think I'm poorly dehydrated and keep getting thirsty because my mouth is so dry and I noticed I haven't been pooping at all the last 2-3 days and when I do, it's diarrhea. My GI system is screwed up!

The tingling skin is happening more frequently and has not gone away since 3 months ago. I'm freaking out! My limbs are also going numb every now and then... My whole body is in jeopardy!!!

The tinnitus is getting louder for me but it comes in spurts. It's one of the symptoms I'm scared of the most.

I hope it doesn't last long.

I'm on vacation right now with family and it definitely doesn't feel like one. I'm also very jealous of how others are perfectly fine while I'm being tormented 24/7 on the inside. How could I do this to myself?! I didn't know. I'm only 27... I have a life to live for god sakes!

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Would a steroid impede my healing since my body is so sensitized? Also I feel dumb but I didn't tell her about the black flickering visuals I've been seeing since it wasn't as frequent up until now...

...  I think I may be in the acute phase as opposed to the windows and waves pattern now. My windows only last maybe 1-3 hours at most lately. Other members have told me to not reinstate as it is too late and I should ride it out. But what do you think?

Also other questions:

1. Is it normal to go into acute after having had the W/W pattern in the beginning?

2. Do physical sxs tend to last as long as psychological sxs?

3. Can psychological sxs pop up at a later time?

4. Does age play a factor in recovery? I'm 27 years old. Have only taken Prozac for a year.

Steroids are hormones and can have an effect on the CNS (central nervous system). Nobody can predict whether you'll be okay with a steroid or whether you'll have a negative reaction.

The acute period refers to the first few months after your last dose. So you're not in the acute phase. That doesn't mean that your symptoms and their intensification aren't beleivable, just that they're not occurring in the acute phase.

Symptoms are unpredictable: they can intensify after periods of relative stability, after an extended time of window/wave cycles.

Symptoms are unpredictable: how long different types last seems to differ based on the individual.

Symptoms are unpredictable: when, i.e. how long after last dose, symptoms arise seems to differ based on the individual.

Symptoms are unpredictable: some young people have extended withdrawal symptoms; some middle-aged and older people recover fully at within a few months.

Cold-turkey stops increase the unpredictability of withdrawal.

What is your symptom pattern?  If you've been keeping daily notes about when your symptoms arise, please post them. If you haven't been keeping track, please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Omg this is the most hellish thing to deal with knowing that all this is unpredictable and absolutely painful.

Ok I realize now that I'm officially in PAWS.

I think I'm going to reinstate once I return from my trip. I'll have to wait another goddamn week but I think I'm going to try 1mg to see how that to goes.

I have for the most part kept a journal of my symptoms on a mobile app but have stopped the past few days because they're so intolerable. The first 2 months, I had waves and windows in which a wave lasted about a week and the windows would last about 5 days average. And it would be a pattern of wave, window, wave, window. All my symptoms have been mainly physical. These are the only noticeable patterns I've seen so far:

- the sxs flare up when I return home from a trip (I've taken 3 trips outta town so far since December)

- the sxs almost always happen right when I go to sleep and thus I get insomnia and have to take a benadryl or melatonin to help me. And then they continue to happen right when I wake up in the morning

- the sxs possibly intensify around the time I'm menstruating... But it could just be coincidence since they flare up at any time anyways

Otherwise, the sxs come and go randomly at varying intensities. The windows have gotten shorter the past 2 weeks, the waves are becoming longer and more intense, and I'm getting new symptoms practically every day (which includes tinnitus, burning sensations, throat pain, dry nasal cavity, extreme muscle flare - like they're electrifying, chills). I'm so scared. Can people survive and recover from intense, severe physical sxs in WD?

My medication -- Prozac

Wow it is severely getting worse, and worse today -

I am experiencing severe dry mouth and throat, appetite loss, muffled hearing, and numbing sensation all over my body. There's also a rash or what looks like hives around my neck area.

This is SUPER concerning! I don't think ANYONE has had all these physical sxs this severe from WD. I am going entirely insane and hypochondriac!!!

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Since your last dose of Prozac (10 mg) was Sept. 30, 2016 -- 4 months ago -- if you reinstate after your trip please consider testing your reaction with a very small dose. Very small would be 0.5 -1.0 mg.

After seeing your reply, I realize that my answer to your questions was stark and heavy-handed.  Please remember that unpredictable doesn't mean that your symptoms will get worse. They are just as likely to improve.  It's just that your questions really have no definitive answers.

I probably was having a moment of frustration: manufacturers of these medications spend millions to promote them to doctors and to advertise to the public where allowed but invest nothing or virtually nothing in research studies into the effects THEIR products cause on the people who are paying for the product. They do the absolute minimum (a warning on the patient information pamphlet) to inform about the inadvisability of suddenly discontinuing the medication. The manufacturers' view of their customers as wallets and insurance payments leaves someone like you suffering and your doctor incapable of providing truly helpful medical care.

Some people experience a worsening of symptoms in the 5-7 month range. You may be in that group and on the leading edge of that timeline, getting the intensification at 4 months. I don't recall any member posts that would support suggestion how long this wave of intensification lasts, but I do know that people have posted that the wave ended or weakened.

People improve and heal, even after cold-turkey cessation and without reinstatement. That is possible for you too.

scallywag's Introduction

anongrl5590 -

Make sure you are trying to drink plenty of water, if your stomach can handle it.  It will help with the dry mouth.  I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere. 

I have been on several vacations during withdrawal and they haven't been enjoyable.  Watching all the families having fun while I sit there miserable.  Then I would angry at myself because I am the one that took Prozac for over 12 years.  Why didn't any doctor ever suggest I get off of it. 

The good thing about you being so young coming off the medicine is that you should heal quicker. 

If you get a moment read my intro thread and maybe you can get some ideas/suggestions on things to help.  I have had it rough getting off Prozac.  I could hardly eat for a year and lost 55 pounds.  I understand your frustration.  You will get through this. 

Since your last dose of Prozac (10 mg) was Sept. 30, 2016 -- 4 months ago -- if you reinstate after your trip please consider testing your reaction with a very small dose. Very small would be 0.5 -1.0 mg.

After seeing your reply, I realize that my answer to your questions was stark and heavy-handed.  Please remember that unpredictable doesn't mean that your symptoms will get worse. They are just as likely to improve.  It's just that your questions really have no definitive answers.

I probably was having a moment of frustration: manufacturers of these medications spend millions to promote them to doctors and to advertise to the public where allowed but invest nothing or virtually nothing in research studies into the effects THEIR products cause on the people who are paying for the product. They do the absolute minimum (a warning on the patient information pamphlet) to inform about the inadvisability of suddenly discontinuing the medication. The manufacturers' view of their customers as wallets and insurance payments leaves someone like you suffering and your doctor incapable of providing truly helpful medical care.

Some people experience a worsening of symptoms in the 5-7 month range. You may be in that group and on the leading edge of that timeline, getting the intensification at 4 months. I don't recall any member posts that would support suggestion how long this wave of intensification lasts, but I do know that people have posted that the wave ended or weakened.

People improve and heal, even after cold-turkey cessation and without reinstatement. That is possible for you too.

anongrl5590 -

Make sure you are trying to drink plenty of water, if your stomach can handle it.  It will help with the dry mouth.  I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere. 

I have been on several vacations during withdrawal and they haven't been enjoyable.  Watching all the families having fun while I sit there miserable.  Then I would angry at myself because I am the one that took Prozac for over 12 years.  Why didn't any doctor ever suggest I get off of it. 

The good thing about you being so young coming off the medicine is that you should heal quicker. 

If you get a moment read my intro thread and maybe you can get some ideas/suggestions on things to help.  I have had it rough getting off Prozac.  I could hardly eat for a year and lost 55 pounds.  I understand your frustration.  You will get through this.

Well guys, I've decided to reinstate at 1mg. I know it'll take about 1-2 weeks for my brain to register the drug so I'll wait it out and see how I feel. My sxs are just so awful going 4 months out that my daily living is in peril and debilitated. I wake up every day with dread, my body is constantly buzzing and electrified, I keep having songs looping in my head, I'm seeing eye floaters in the day and night time, I have tinnitus, the shaking and panic that wakes me up is unbearable. And the suicidal ideation is gradually increasing. Oh and not to mention the intense burning and tingling skin!!! I can't take it anymore!!!! I need some relief, even if it's not 100%. I wish I knew about tapering when I first decided to stop this drug. I hope I can start to get relief with this reinstatement and stabilize at some point.

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Fingers crossed for you anongrl, remember to keep everything else in your life as steady as you can.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Fingers crossed for you anongrl, remember to keep everything else in your life as steady as you can.

Thank you, KarenB. It is just so difficult because my life was turned upside down the instant I put that pill in my mouth and I didn't even know it. Even when I was going into my 1st month on the drug, I did experience side effects in which my body was trying to adapt to it before becoming stable. It was so scary but my doctor said it would take awhile to stabilize so I thought I was doing the right thing. And now I am here suffering even more... it's so insidious. I'm a 27 year old female with dreams to be made. Things to do. Stuff to look forward to. All gone because my body couldn't handle a pill.

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

anongrl -- I hope you feel a relief from having chosen.  I hope it works out for you too.

Please don't blame your body not accepting a pill. The blame rightly belongs to the manufacturer drug-pushers who had to be compelled by the FDA to admit that symptoms occur after discontinuation. Manufacturers' statements and medical education propaganda materials admit to only a brief period of symptoms, 6-8 weeks. :angry::mad:

scallywag's Introduction

anongrl -- I hope you feel a relief from having chosen. I hope it works out for you too.

Please don't blame your body not accepting a pill. The blame rightly belongs to the manufacturer drug-pushers who had to be compelled by the FDA to admit that symptoms occur after discontinuation. Manufacturers' statements and medical education propaganda materials admit to only a brief period of symptoms, 6-8 weeks. :angry::mad:

Thanks Scallywag. Half of me now blames myself for even deciding to take Prozac for something - social anxiety - in which I could've worked on with talk therapy and practice. It wasn't even like severe social anxiety... But at that time I felt like there was something wrong with my social behavior and insecurities (which I have had since I was young). I could've accepted myself naturally and made emotional changes without a drug. And yes, half of me blames big pharma and the psych field as well. It feels like one huge joke to me but now people unnecessarily suffer from it. I can't believe this sh*t is still being prescribed. Every time I see a new intro post, it hurts to know more and more people are going through this. It shouldn't be this way. I feel ready to file a lawsuit ...

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure I'd say many people suffer from it.  I'd say that many people notice an area in their life where they'd like to be more confident, e.g. social interactions, and are conditioned by advertising to mention this concern to doctors who -- wait for it -- have been conditioned by promotional visits and materials to respond to the complaint with a prescription.

It's a trap set up by highly competent, profit-driven people that takes advantage both of our trust in doctors and medical research, and of their ability to manipulate the system to their benefit.

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

Hello, anongrl. How was the chronic viral conjunctivitis diagnosed? That is something I would get a second opinion about.

Prozac comes in a liquid form so you can take small doses. You might want to check if your insurance covers it. Otherwise, you can make your own liquid, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You may wish to go very easy on your digestive system for a while. Please consider a non-irritating, bland diet. 

If you tend to be dehydrated, you absolutely must change that habit.

What was your experience with fish oil and magnesium?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm not sure I'd say many people suffer from it.  I'd say that many people notice an area in their life where they'd like to be more confident, e.g. social interactions, and are conditioned by advertising to mention this concern to doctors who -- wait for it -- have been conditioned by promotional visits and materials to respond to the complaint with a prescription.

It's a trap set up by highly competent, profit-driven people that takes advantage both of our trust in doctors and medical research, and of their ability to manipulate the system to their benefit.

This makes me feel even angrier! I fell into this trap... I have two friends who also went on SSRIs and they both successfully withdrew with no symptoms. Which was another incentive I felt for me to take it. Boy, was I f**king wrong...

Hello, anongrl. How was the chronic viral conjunctivitis diagnosed? That is something I would get a second opinion about.

Prozac comes in a liquid form so you can take small doses. You might want to check if your insurance covers it. Otherwise, you can make your own liquid, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You may wish to go very easy on your digestive system for a while. Please consider a non-irritating, bland diet. 

If you tend to be dehydrated, you absolutely must change that habit.

What was your experience with fish oil and magnesium?

Hi Altostrata,

I'm outta town right now so I haven't seen my opthalmologist since 2 weeks ago but basically she said although the redness was greatly reduced, I still have a swollen eyelid and bumps in my eye. She gave me an antihistamine eye drop for the time being until I return home. She said she wanted to test out the steroid treatment when I come back. I'm very, very hesitant about it because she said the steroid would do something to my immune system in order for my eye to get better. Like my immune system would have to be impaired a bit in order for this to work??? I'll have to ask the Dr again.

I ended up making a liquid with my capsules I have. I put 20mg with 20mL of water.

It seems that my severe dehydration only lasted for that one day but of course it's still something I am very concerned about. Will need to carry water with me 24/7...

I haven't seen much change with the fish oil, probiotic, and the mag :( it's more like a placebo to me... Even when I take the mag during a wave, it doesn't calm me down at all. Not even before I plan to sleep.

My medication -- Prozac

• Administrator

How much fish oil and mag do you take? What kind of mag?

If the probiotic hasn't helped, maybe you might stop it.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

How much fish oil and mag do you take? What kind of mag?

If the probiotic hasn't helped, maybe you might stop it.

I take 1-2 teaspoon of the Calm Magnesium powder in hot water. And 3 fish oil capsules from the Costco Kirkland brand (3000mg total). I will stop the probiotic and see what happens.

BTW the mag powder I'm taking has this --

Magnesium Amt Per Serving:350 mg % Daily Value :87%,,Other Ingredients: Ionic magnesium citrate (created from a highly absorbable proprietary blend of citric acid and magnesium carbonate.

My medication -- Prozac

BTW I have a question about reinstatement:

If I don't feel any changes at 1mg, am I suppose to keep up dosing until I am 100% stabilized? Because I doubt I'll reach a dose where I'm fully asymptomatic. So I'm unsure when to stop and start tapering. I also don't want to reach a point of tolerance.

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms entirely, it is to bring them to a bearable level.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to steady state in the blood and a few more for it to register in the brain.  So you need to give it about 10 days unless you have a very bad reaction, in which case you stop immediately.

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Keep note of your symptoms, what improves/stays the same/worsens.  If you have problems, please post this symptom list and it will allow the mods to make suggestions about what you could do.

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

It's important to learn:

Non-drug techniques to cope

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms entirely, it is to bring them to a bearable level.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to steady state in the blood and a few more for it to register in the brain.  So you need to give it about 10 days unless you have a very bad reaction, in which case you stop immediately.

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Keep note of your symptoms, what improves/stays the same/worsens.  If you have problems, please post this symptom list and it will allow the mods to make suggestions about what you could do.

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

It's important to learn:

Non-drug techniques to cope

Thanks Chessie!

I'm praying this reinstatement works. I will stop if it doesn't. Which probably will mean I need to CT... Sigh.

Has anyone had a multitude of severe physical sxs moreso than mental sxs? I don't see that much here in terms of someone suffering from physical ones. I ask because I feel that it's harder for me to cope with these sxs in a natural way since it's physically hurting me. So far I just keep telling myself it's WD, it's not permanent, and it'll go away. But it does become very debilitating at times. I feel like it's easier to use the non-drug techniques for mental sxs :(

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Withdrawal symptoms can be physical and/or mental.  Several times when I have made a reduction in dose I have experienced blocked ears and a couple of times it has been quite painful.

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks guys for the replies. It means a lot to get feedback here.

I am 3 days into reinstatement. Despite the fact that it takes 4-7 days to kick in, I feel like my sxs have let up a bit. I was able to sleep naturally without benadryl or melatonin the last 2 nights. Also I've noticed my windows are coming up again for a longer duration. Still having bad morning anxiety, cortisol spikes, intense dreaming, tinnitus, and feeling like my body is electrified. The jolts and some other physical sxs haven't came up. Not sure if this means the Prozac miraculously kicked in already or I'm just feeling a bit better coincidentally.

I know I am experiencing the waves and windows but now I am starting to feel non-commital once again -__-... I am debating for the millionth time to continue reinstatement or go back to CTing. This is bothering me just as I'm sure it would bother you all. I am an indecisive type of person so it's very, very difficult for me to choose which path to take.

I read the CT success stories on the BenzoBuddies.org forum which gives me hope of recovery but I also read the horror stories of long PAWS from CT. Is aggravating and I feel like I cannot make a choice to save me.

My medication -- Prozac

Maybe the Prozac really did kick in immediately...

My medication -- Prozac

Sorry if I am asking so may questions... I think I'm just completely lost as to what my option are.

So I guess one thing I will ask is if I don't feel good with this reinstatement of Prozac after some time, is it advisable to switch to another SSRI and slowly taper off from that one? I'm just scared that this will end up with me being polydrugged and left with having sxs still from my Prozac WD... :/

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

I wish you luck with your reinstatement of Prozac.  I hope it helps with your symptoms. 

anongrl5590 -

I wish you luck with your reinstatement of Prozac.  I hope it helps with your symptoms.

Thank you O2bhappy. It's now 4 days of reinstatement. Only thing I'm noticing in change is my sleep. I have been able to sleep naturally the last 3 nights, thank God! But all physical sxs are still there. I am thinking of updosing a bit...

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to full state in the blood and then a few more before it registers in the brain.

Sleeping naturally is a really good sign.  My suggestion would be to try and be patient and wait at least another week before even considering updosing.

I also suggest that you keeps notes on paper and also rate your symptoms.  When we aren't feeling good we don't always notice the small improvements.

I'm still going through my reinstatement but say I decide to stop it tomorrow or very soon before next week.... Would I need to taper off this 1mg still or can I just stop taking it? I am just wondering...

My medication -- Prozac

Nvm. Wow OK I need to just calm down and think logically. I need to try this reinstatement and see how it goes. Disregard my previous post ...

My medication -- Prozac