SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs

Altostrata

• Administrator

What did Steve Jobs's last words mean? He had been a diligent, though imperfect, Zen Buddhist.

(Mona Simpson was Steve Jobs's sister. Both had been adopted by different families and didn't meet until they were adults.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opinion/mona-simpsons-eulogy-for-steve-jobs.html?_r=2&emc=eta1&pagewanted=all

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Well, he was a child of his times.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I appreciate so very much being made aware of this beautiful article.

No tissue needed on my part, but it was both very welcome and very needed.

Thank you.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Well, he was a child of his times.

I hope you didn't take my, "oh wow" as being sarcastic! It's the last thing he said before he passed, as can be read at the end of the article.

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

Like any good Zen koan, his last words can be read and reacted to any number of ways.

To me, he was using words that he used all the time to express the ineffable. He was about to go into the unknown, he'd spent years meditating on emptiness and here it was.

Or, maybe he was thinking of how he'd filled his life with love for his family, and he was so grateful for the glory of that.

Like any good Zen koan, his last words can be read and reacted to any number of ways.

To me, he was using words that he used all the time to express the ineffable. He was about to go into the unknown, he'd spent years meditating on emptiness and here it was.

Or, maybe he was thinking of how he'd filled his life with love for his family, and he was so grateful for the glory of that.

It reminded me of Sam Kinestons dying words. First he kept say "why now?" over and over, then he got a look of peace on his face, and said "Oh, okay" three times, then he died. Same thing happened when my uncle passed. He was struggling and then suddenly got very peaceful, then he passed. I think they see something, or are told something. Goes with a lot of Near Death stories I've read, and it's comforting.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 8 months later...

That was awesome and inspirational. Wish he was still around to continue to wow us all.... what a great example of a human life.

Age 11-Depressed~14-Use alcohol and drugs~20-Prozac~21-Zoloft~29-Paxil; Used for 2 yrs; took 5 yrs to recover memory back~39-Raw Thyroid for low T3 & take Prilosec~40-Zoloft stops working, so Lexapro; doesn't work; start counseling. Start 300mg Omega 3 Fish Oil & Vit B Complex. Feel better. Taper off Lexapro unsuccessful~41 (5/22/11)-Quit Lexapro, b/c pills at once. Breakdown at work~(6/26/11)-Start 5mg Lexapro to help WD symptoms~(6/30/11)-Feel better; Able to go back to work.~(9/6/11)- Better! Delay tapering.~(11/14/11)-Taper by skipping 4th day.~(11/20/11)-Crashed. Need another strategy.~(1/14/12)-Start 25mg Zoloft w/Lexapro. Taper to 1/4 Lexapro; success.~(2/17/12)-Stop Lexapro.~43 (2/12/13)-Am great; still on 25mg Zoloft.(9/13/14) Off all meds over a year! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that much about Jobs other than what a fairly well informed person would know about a prominent individual. I was thinking of reading the isaacson book.

Has anyone read it?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

I read it and found it interesting, although the psychological analysis was annoying. But I was always a Jobs fan and lived through the Apple era from the beginning.

I still miss Steve Jobs. He protected the consumer from crap. I'm afraid Apple will start producing overpriced junk now, just like everyone else.

Who is providing the psycho-analysis? The author?

From what I know about him, I find Jobs pretty admirable. Maybe I will look for the book at the Half Priced Book Store.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

<br />I read it and found it interesting, although the psychological analysis was annoying. But I was always a Jobs fan and lived through the Apple era from the beginning.<br /><br />I still miss Steve Jobs. He protected the consumer from crap. I'm afraid Apple will start producing overpriced junk now, just like everyone else.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

having worked for one of Apple's contractors in Baltimore, as well as an Apple VAR back in the late'80, Jobs was pretty much like Larry Ellison of Oracle, minus the extremely bad attitude Larry has. If there was a genius, it was Woz. Jobs genius was he could sell snake oil better than any pharmaceutical rep, including the only cousin I get along with (and he was a farmboy from the north side of the Mason-Dixon line).

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy