CanadaGuy73: Looking for direction on where to start (multiple meds)

CanadaGuy73

Hi all.  New guy here.

I managed to get myself of of 1mg Klonopin a few years back and I haven't had a benzo (or the desire for one) in over two years.  I am on other meds (see my profile) and I want to get off of these as well.

I'm thinking about tackling the lexapro first using a similar method I used for the Klonopin.  (Liquid titration).  Any thoughts on if this would be a good start?  I've head that people should get off Seroquel first as it is the most dangerous, but I thought I might need it to help me with the others?  Its also only a small amount (25mg).

I really don't care how long all this takes and that it shouldn't be a race - I learned that from my Klonopin taper.

Hope everyone is having a good new year so far.

Cheers!

Previous:  Ativan PRN from my late teens till early 30's.  Also started SSRI's in early 30's far too many types to count as I had paradoxical reactions to most of them.  late 30's given 1mg Klonopin daily along with 25mg Seroquel, 75mg Lamotrigine and 10mg Lexapro.  Managed to get myself off of Klonopin completely two years ago using slow whole milk titration method.  Took me almost 2 years but was successful with little withdrawal.  PROOF THAT SLOW TAPERS WORK!  Current:  Lamotrigine 75mg, Lexapro 10mg, Seroquel 25mg.  Plan is to tackle the remaining meds using a similar method. GO LEAFS GO!

Happy New Years!!

I am new to this site but am trying to view ur profile to see what medications u r on...how do I go about doing that???

2004 Sept- 20 mgs of Paxil for Panic Disorder

2013-August to 2015-February tapered from 20mgs to 0 mgs

(20-17.5-15-12.5-10-7.5-5-2.5-0)-stayed at each dose from 2-3 months

2015-March panic disorder came back re-instated 10 mgs of Paxil

2016-Oct was increased to 20 mgs of Paxil

2016-Nov was decreased to 10 mgs of Paxil bc of side effects on the 20mg dose

2017-Jan 8.75mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are using a phone you need to click on Full Version at the bottom of the page to be able to view a member's signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CanadaGuy and welcome to SA,

There is a lot of really helpful information on this site.  It sounds like you have done well to get off Klonopin and you know about slow tapering.  Some people think slow = a few months!

I'll give you links to information on this site which you may find helpful and you can ask any questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.  Click Follow top right and you will be notified when someone responds.  To search the site for existing topics I use Google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?
If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug).

Drug Interactions Checker

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

You probably already know this but I'll say it anyway because it is so very important: 

Patience, acceptance, learning non-drug coping techniques, listening to your body and throwing out the calendar.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management