SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

'Brain Maker' by David Perlmutter

Mimi11

There's some really interesting information in this book. The author talks about the importance of a healthy micro biome (gut bacteria) and how it influences brain health. As has already been discussed in this forum, eating healthy and creating a healthy gut is so important during withdrawal. 

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

Hi Mimi11.

Yep...those trillions of gut bacteria have a gigantic effect on overall health. Including mental health. Somewhere on this forum is the info that most of our serotonin is made/stored in the gut. It's even been called 'the second brain'!

High fiber food (veggies, fruit etc) nourish your gut bacteria...they LOVE the stuff!

On the other hand, sugar...particularly the refined sort...is bad news.

My acknowledgement to the little guys is to add three tablespoons of high fiber hemp seed to my morning muesli. (Hemp is the non THC strain of marijuana). It's legal here in Australia, while any part of stoner MJ can get you locked up. Hemp seeds also contain lots of good Omega 3's and a host of important micro nutrients. You can buy seed in any health store in Aus. and I expect that would be the case where you live.

I'm also giving Gundry MD Vital Reds a whirl. It has (among other things) three probiotics; 'good guy' gut microbes.

No verdict as yet...my stuff just turned up today.

June 2016: Diagnosed with first-ever depression at age 80 and hospitalised for seven days

Discharged (well...discharged self actually) with meds. 30mg Mirtazipene 50mg Serequol.

Mirtazipene dose raised to 45mg late August.

GP raised it again to 60mg less than a week later.

Had major surgery (shoulder replacement) September 21 and subsequently depression worse than ever.

Case worker added Effexor late September but I couldn't take the stuff...turned me into a log of wood and completely deadened any emotion. Took only two doses and quit. No way was I going to make myself feel like that. Basket case!

Case worker wanted to raise Mirtazipene to 75 but I didn't take the increased dose. Decided instead to taper off the lot.

Reduced Mirtazipene by 7.5 to 52.8 Nov. 8th and another 7.5 (to 45) Nov. 19th.

Reduced Serequol by 12.5 (To 35.5) Nov. 12.

So far so good...but on advice from scallywag will now reduce one med at a time and at four week intervals.

Serequol first...research suggest that Serequol is the nastiest.

Sounds like you're already doing much of what the author recommends. Swift healing thoughts to you from a very frozen Canada. 

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the suggestion, bought this book. 

I also wanted to appoint people to this blog post: https://cfsremission.com/2016/01/06/psychoactive-probiotics/

I just made a microbiom test and it revealed that I had alistipes present 73x more than in normal persons body! very interesting information. It also appeared that I eat too much meat.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• 3 weeks later...

thanks again for this suggestion, I read the book and there is some mindblowing amazing information, very up to date and important. I would consider this as one of the most important books if someone wants to cure mental health problems naturally.

I've already made loads of changes. I'm making kombucha at home and I also acquired tibetan milk mushroom and I'm making kefir. I can't drink milk though, so I'm trying it with vegan milks. I bought acacia powder and inulin powder and good probiotics (mercola probiotics included all the necessary bacteria for brain health). I'm trying to eat more vegetables and fruits and less meat. I'm very excited about all this! I plan to grow a lot of healthy bacteria and maybe they are so kind and help me also with withdrawal symptoms :D my microbiome test showed that I had zero friendly bacteria in me actually. So I really need to populate my intestines with healthy little helpers. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and found it useful. I wish you a very successful taper and WD. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy