SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Deise: Fluvoxamine caused my depression? Fear I can't recover

Deise

Hi Deise, 

Your story of troubled relationships is really similar to mine. I think that the choices I made with boyfriends were of course influenced by the drug, but if I could turn back time, I wouldn't change anything. So maybe they way I handled the break-ups and stuff would have been different, but I have no regrets. Also when my post-acute withdrawal began this summer, I was so desperate feeling nothing for my boyfriend and being overwhelmed by doubts that I dumped him, but I realized later that it was just the drug as I went back to him soon after. Now I am sure I love him, even if sometimes I start obsessing about some flaws he has or I am apathetic. But I think that true love will win over the ADs.

I also think that I wasn't clinically depressed until taking the meds. From the very beginning, I asked repeatedly to every doctor I jumped in to help me discontinuing the drugs because I was feeling bad, but everyone just refused as they thought it was my underlying conditions. Now I am completely messed up. That's why I am so angry.

Edit: so good that your boyfriend supports you in your journey. I think that having someone who truly understands you will make you feel safer and he will understand and be patient to you when you feel detached or feel like you don't want to go out and be around people. 

Also I am experiencing many of the symptoms you reported in bold in one of the latest posts and I'm pretty sure I wasn't like this before getting medication, maybe I was melancholic, but my emotions (the one you have too, like fears, obsessions, ruminating thoughts, hypocondria, malaise) were not so extremely amplified. 

My doctor, who is an expert in WD, has been reassuring me that it is indeed withdrawal. But our challenge is to avoid to make this symptoms even worse. 

I am almost sure that most of the symptoms will go away, but it will take some time. The point is that we have to wait and we suffered so much back then, but I think the wait is worth it.

November 2014 - September 2015: Zoloft 50 mg, Trilafon 4mg, clonazepam 1mg
October 2015 - September 2016: Effexor 75 mg
September 2016 - January 2017: Effexor 150 mg
Stopped Effexor in March 2017 after tapering under medical supervision
The doctor I've now found is an expert in withdrawal from ADs
Persistent withdrawal syndrome since July 2017: Prozac 10 mg, clonazepam 0.5 mg, to cope with it.
December 2017 -  withdrawing from Prozac, 10 mg every 2 days
Drug free since January (?) 2018

Symptoms: pins and needles, burning skin sensations, PSSD, OCD, mood swings (a lot), malaise (a lot), muscle spasms, voice in my conscience. 

Doing not so bad, but I want to be the person I was. 
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Deise: Fluvoxamine caused my depression? Fear I can't recover
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deise

• ChessieCat

• manymoretodays

• BAT

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

In this area of the site Relationships there are topics about members and their relationship issues.

This is an excellent piece written by one of the moderaters:

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

These are topics where members discuss their mental withdrawal issues:

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Irritability, Anger, Rage

Neuro Emotions

OCD Obsessive Thoughts, Compulsive Behaviours

Shame, Guilt, Regret and Self-Criticism

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you both ChessieCat and littleball!

My boyfriend has been amazing with me but I feel so bad to make him go through this. He gets so sad I sometimes this it would be better for him to not be with me anymore.

I am very afraid and I have been extremely anxious everyday. Can WD cause us to feel spaced out/palpitations/fear of doom/sadness? I was anxious before the meds but I have never been through what I am going right now. Never been so sad, felt so weird when leaving my house, waking up in panic...crying a lot. I am so afraid that I have permanent damage in my brain that will never be fixed. I'm completely devoid of positive feelings and hope. I am also very angry an resentful of the medical profession and the drugs they prescribe like candy, it makes me so so frustrated and I feel betrayed.

I have a question. Do you think having this symptoms now will put me at an increased risk of protracted withdrawal? Do you think that the clomipramine I took as a child messed up my brain forever, with the aid of Luvox?

I am very grateful for this community, and so sad that we all have to go through this. Thank you very much.

2001 - 2004 (9yrs to 12 yrs old): Clomipramine (don't remember dosage).

2013: Sertraline on September but stopped after two weeks. Xanax for 3 months (late september to december). Two days of terrible withdrawal insomnia and panic but stopped.

2014 - 2015: Luvox 50mg (february 2014 to june 2015).

2015 - 2016: Luvox 25mg (june 2015 to april 2016). Started to taper in April, taking one every other day for a week, one every two days. Severe dp/dr, anxiety and panic attacks.

2016 - 2017: Reinstated Luvox 50mg in June. Started to feel very depressed and anhedonia. Thoughts of suicide that scared me.

January 2017: stared tapering Luvox.

(Gradually reducing 1/8 of the pill, 6.25mg each time (every 4 to 6 weeks) - 12% of original dose, because my taper was going well and couldn't cut pill into smaller bits)

July 2017: 25mg

(Reduced 1/8 of the pill, equivalent to 6.25mg - 12% of original dose)

August 2017: 18.75mg

October 2017: 18.75mg

(Moved from topic:  Dealing with emotional spirals)

Hi brassmonkey.

I read everything you wrote about the spirals and I can identify with it right now. I was at a very stressful job and then there was an explosion at my house and my anxiety just spiked and is completely out of control.

When I feel palpitations or weird sensations or when I am ruminating my symptoms I just get in a spiral that does not stop. I get very nervous, short of breath, feel like I'll never recover and afraid I'll go insane. At those moments I feel ill never be myself again. I get very angry at my parents for letting me take these meds when I was 9 years old, angry at doctors, at pharma, angry at myself for starting Luvox. I am afraid I have permanent damage and never be ok. 

I'll start hypnotherapy tomorrow, do you know if it helped anyone? I am so afraid. I'm not getting out of bed. I feel weird everyday. During the day it varies in intensity but it's always there in the back of my head. I was thinking of maybe trying psychoanalysis also? I have an extreme fear of death, of the unknown, of diseases. But at the same time when I'm so down in these spirals I am afraid one day the only option would be to kill myself, but this thought causes me extreme distress. I an afraid I won't be strong enough or that I'll become insane...

Edited by ChessieCat
added not re post moved

2013: Sertraline on September but stopped after two weeks. Xanax for 3 months (late september to december). Two days of terrible withdrawal insomnia and panic but stopped.

2015 - 2016: Luvox 25mg (june 2015 to april 2016). Started to taper in April, taking one every other day for a week, one every two days. Severe dp/dr, anxiety and panic attacks.

2016 - 2017: Reinstated Luvox 50mg in June. Started to feel very depressed and anhedonia. Thoughts of suicide that scared me.

(Gradually reducing 1/8 of the pill, 6.25mg each time (every 4 to 6 weeks) - 12% of original dose, because my taper was going well and couldn't cut pill into smaller bits)

Maybe I should mention that during the day the level of anxiety varies. It's always back there but there are times of the day I can be "ok", although very sad and hopeless always. But sometimes it gets so bad I can't get a grip on myself and feel what I have mentioned before...

I am a newbie, but I think that patterns in diseases are much due to physiological issues, rather than psychological ones. You seem to follow a pattern, so that's not you. Your anxiety comes and goes, with no apparent reason, right? 

November 2014 - September 2015: Zoloft 50 mg, Trilafon 4mg, clonazepam 1mg
October 2015 - September 2016: Effexor 75 mg
September 2016 - January 2017: Effexor 150 mg
Stopped Effexor in March 2017 after tapering under medical supervision
The doctor I've now found is an expert in withdrawal from ADs
Persistent withdrawal syndrome since July 2017: Prozac 10 mg, clonazepam 0.5 mg, to cope with it.
December 2017 -  withdrawing from Prozac, 10 mg every 2 days
Drug free since January (?) 2018

Symptoms: pins and needles, burning skin sensations, PSSD, OCD, mood swings (a lot), malaise (a lot), muscle spasms, voice in my conscience. 

Doing not so bad, but I want to be the person I was. 

Yes littleball, my anxiety never had an external reason as far as I can remember, at least not the kind of anxiety that's "pathological". Lately I feel anxious everyday but the worse parts are random. They usually happen out of nowhere, I get in a spiral of ruminating thoughts and it blows out of proportion, but the spiral can happen when I feel something physical or out of the blue I just get sad and hopeless.

It's very tiring and difficult for me as I have been like this almost everyday for three weeks with no signs of getting better. This is the worse I have been so far. This is my first wave since I started tapering so I don't know if this is what I should expect. 

I've been through a pretty uneventful taper so far, I even reduced faster than what was supposed because it was going so well. But now I don't know if I made a mistake and I'm paying for it or if this is my brain permanently damaged :(

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Deise said:

Maybe I should mention that during the day the level of anxiety varies.

It would be a good idea to keep a diary so you can see if there is a pattern related to when you take your drugs.  It might also be a good idea to take note of when and what you eat and drink.

Q:  Are you taking any other supplements or over the counter drugs which aren't in your signature?

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Deise said:

I even reduced faster than what was supposed because it was going so well.

Reducing too quickly can catch up with you months down the track.

10 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Reducing too quickly can catch up with you months down the track.

Hi ChessieCat.

I have been eating very very little as I don't have much appetite. My habits are terrible. I go to sleep late, I eat very little and not very good, I am rarely leaving my bed. I know well that I have to change this to get better but when I am down in the gutter my habits go down with me.

At the moment I'm not taking anything except for the contraceptive pill. Should I add that to mg signature? I was taking iron for 1 and a half months but I stopped two weeks ago because I was afraid it could be having an interference.

Should I write those on paper and later put them in here if I find some pattern or something?

I know that I got to confident and reduced too fast (10% of original dose and not 10% of actual dose every two months more or less) and I am feeling very guilty and that might have damaged me irreparably :(

I'm afraid I can't get on track and won't be strong enough to handle this...

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, Deise said:

I have been eating very very little as I don't have much appetite.

Then your anxiety may be the result of your blood sugar levels dropping.

14 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Then your anxiety may be the result of your blood sugar levels dropping.

Yes it can also be it. It started before I lost my appetite but eating less probably makes it worse.

I just wish no one was getting through this, not me not anyone in this forum/world. 

I will try my best to stabilize at this dose and am going to ask my cousin (doctor) to prescribe me Luvox in a way I can make it liquid in a pharmacy. This way I'llhave a better management of doses. Maybe I'll stabilize at 20mg (with my rough cuts I am most probably not getting the 18.75mg anyways, do you think it's a good idea? Make a liquid and stabilize at 20mg? 

I have to make an effort to change my habits and get out of bed and of my house. Tomorrow I'll have my first hypnotherapy session. Just crossing fingers it will be beneficial for me. I'm very drained with all this :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Before increasing your dose the first thing I think you should do is make sure that you are eating throughout the day.  This may help with the anxiety.

You could also try taking Magnesium.  It is best to take several smaller doses than one larger dose.  Start with a small amount to make sure it doesn't make you worse.  Some members dissolve it in water and sip it throughout the day.  Several times I have gone off it and my anxiety has increased.  I find it takes the edge off my anxiety.

If you are taking Luvox that is not extended release you may need to halve your dose and take it twice a day.

On 18/10/2013 at 7:55 AM, Altostrata said:

Because of its short half-life, taking regular fluvoxamine may necessitate taking a dose twice a day.

Luvox's half-life is the shortest of all SSRIs and it is well known to incur withdrawal symptoms.

Do-it-yourself liquid
You may be able to make a liquid with immediate-release tablets and water. A liquid makes it easier to titrate by small, controlled amounts.

It is "sparingly soluble" in water, see http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00176 -- stability (shelf-life of dilution) is unknown. As traces are found in municipal water supplies http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncer_abstracts/index.cfm/fuseaction/display.abstractDetail/abstract/1755/report/F
it is somewhat stable, but degraded by light.

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

4 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

You could also try taking Magnesium.  It is best to take several smaller doses than one larger dose.  Start with a small amount to make sure it doesn't make you worse.  Some members dissolve it in water and sip it throughout the day.  Several times I have gone off it and my anxiety has increased.  I find it takes the edge off my anxiety.

If you are taking Luvox that is not extended release you may need to halve your dose and take it twice a day.

Should I take magnesium even if in my blood sample it was in a normal range level? And only magnesium? I have a magnesium bottle at home but it has a lot of B vitamins together with it.

My Luvox is not the extended release I think, it's the normal white pill one. I know of it's very short half life, do you think it will be ok to take it twice a day? Won't it change or destabilise anything else?

I can make the liquid in a compound pharmacy if my cousin prescribes it. Isn't it better than doing it at home?

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Deise said:

Should I take magnesium even if in my blood sample it was in a normal range level? And only magnesium? I have a magnesium bottle at home but it has a lot of B vitamins together with it.

B vitamins, especially Vit B6, can be activating.  I would not take that one.  And yes, it is okay to test it, but only a small amount to start just in case you have a bad reaction to it.  Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil are the only 2 supplements which SA recommends.  However, only every make one change at a time.  So don't make a dose change of your drug and also try magnesium.

13 minutes ago, Deise said:

I can make the liquid in a compound pharmacy if my cousin prescribes it. Isn't it better than doing it at home?

This is your choice.  I was just letting you know that it is possible to make your own.  It is best to keep taking the same dose when changing from tablet to liquid.  The best way to change from one form of a drug to another is to do a cross over.  So 3/4 dose (from tablet) + 1/4 dose (from liquid) for a few days, then 1/2 + 1/2 for a few more days then 1/4 + 3/4 for a few more and then all liquid.

12 minutes ago, Deise said:

My Luvox is not the extended release I think, it's the normal white pill one. I know of it's very short half life, do you think it will be ok to take it twice a day? Won't it change or destabilise anything else?

If it is the immediate release then you may be experiencing interdose withdrawal.  The best way to change to twice a day dosing is to divide your dose in half and to take the 2nd half of the dose 1 hour later (or 1 hour earlier if you are taking it at night) each day until you get the doses to 12 hours apart.  You could either do this before you change from tablet to liquid or afterwards.  It would be best not to do the two changes at the same time.

If it was me, the first thing I would do is to divide my doses.  If you are experiencing interdose withdrawal then you might feel improvement fairly quickly.  So that you can do this straight away you could make your own liquid from the tablets and do the change of dose time now.  This way you will have more precision in your dose.  And then after a short hold you could then do the cross over to prescription liquid.  You would then have to do 3/4 + 1/4 etc for both the morning and evening doses.

8 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

If it was me, the first thing I would do is to divide my doses.  If you are experiencing interdose withdrawal then you might feel improvement fairly quickly.  So that you can do this straight away you could make your own liquid from the tablets and do the change of dose time now.  This way you will have more precision in your dose.  And then after a short hold you could then do the cross over to prescription liquid.  You would then have to do 3/4 + 1/4 etc for both the morning and evening doses.

Thank you so much ChessieCat, you have no idea how I appreciate your help and everyone in this forum.

I just have two questions: I have never experienced interdose WD with the higher doses of Luvox, can this start happening with the taper and getting to smaller doses?

The other question is: if I do the liquid at home I won't have to do the 3/4 + 1/4 thing? Is that only necessary with the liquid from the pharmacy?

• Moderator Emeritus
39 minutes ago, Deise said:

I have never experienced interdose WD with the higher doses of Luvox, can this start happening with the taper and getting to smaller doses?

Quite possibly.

39 minutes ago, Deise said:

if I do the liquid at home I won't have to do the 3/4 + 1/4 thing? Is that only necessary with the liquid from the pharmacy?

Some people may be able to go from tablet to homemade liquid with no problem.

54 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

So that you can do this straight away you could make your own liquid from the tablets and do the change of dose time now.  This way you will have more precision in your dose.

The other option would be to take the morning 1/2 dose as tablet and take the other 1/2 dose as DIY liquid and take that an hour later each day.  Then once the doses are 12 hours apart change the morning dose to DIY liquid.

I actually think that this option may be the easiest and quickest for you.

That option sounds very good! But only with the DIY liquid right? Not the pharmacy one.

Thank you so much ChessieCat!

• Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.  I really had to think outside the box on this one and my brain did start hurting a bit. :wacko:

Yes, only the DIY.  Some members have trouble changing from tablet to pharmacy liquid.

Keep daily notes on paper so you can see if there is a pattern.

If later you do decide to change from DIY liquid to pharmacy liquid it would be best to do the cross over.

Just remember when making your liquid always do everything the same every time.  It's a good idea to write down what you do because sometimes during withdrawal we have memory lapses and even the most simplest thing, or something that we have done many times before can all of a sudden be difficult.

Thank you again ChessieCat, for your effort in trying to find a good solution for me. I appreciate it very much.

Today I felt better. Had my first hypnotherapy session but I am a bit afraid and I don't know if I should continue because of another person messing with my already very sensitive CNS. 

I found out today that my psychiatrist retired and I was attributed a new one (public health service, I live in Portugal). I'm hoping it's a better one that actually spends more than 5 minutes with me and just gives me my Luvox recipe. Maybe I'll talk to her about my taper. She is also a psychoanalyst, so maybe she is a bit more open to non pharmaceutical approaches. Fingers crossed!!

Hi everyone...

Can someone tell me of it is normal, or if some of you felt like what I feel right know? 

Today and for most part of yesterday I didn't feel anxious. But I just don't feel like myself. It feels like something's wrong but I just can't pin point what it is. And I feel so so sad because of it. I just want to feel "normal" again, to feel some peace of mind, to feel like I felt before all this. And i just can't seem to do it.

I can't even say what's wrong exactly. It's just some cloud surrounding my thoughts all the time. Even if i try to think of nothing, if I distract myself with tv or something, it seems as if something gloomy is always there in the back of my mind. I can't understand this.

I feel there are so many good thinks on life to enjoy and be grateful but I can't seem able to do it. There is something there, which I don't know what it is, that's keeping me from being happy...

Has someone been through this? I don't want to lose myself. I just want to feel happy and at peace but at the moment it seems I'll never be able to feel that way again :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it's something that is common in withdrawal:

Neuro Emotions

help-for-feelings-of-depressiondoom-gloom

Well, this is kind of a weird question, but I stumbled upon a paper that said that smokers had significantly less serum concentrations of fluvoxamine than non smokers. Which is a good thing right?

The thing is, I stopped smoking around 3 weeks ago. Should I resume smoking until I'm off Luvox? It sounds like a very stulid question but I don't know, just want to read some opinions. Because then my dose of Luvox after o stopped smoking is equivalent to a higher dose of Luvox in my blood.

Hi everyone, I have another question. I already asked here if it was a good idea to stop takin birth control pill during taper and I was advised not to because it could further mess with the CNS and hormones.

But if I stabilize in a dose of Luvox (after I'm feeling ok, at this moment I am in what I think is my first wave so I won't be messing around) for an indefinite time and during that time I quit birth control and not mess with Luvox, should I be fine?

Hi everyone. Altough no one has answered to my 2 previous posts, I will share one more...

I feel completely alone. The days when I don't have anxiety, I have dp/dr. I don't feel like myself at all. I feel spaced out, "out of it". I an always sad because of feeling like this. I just feel weird in general.

My mom, even after I said 1000 times what these drugs do, is constantly saying that maybe I should understand that I need to take more AD as the doctors say. Constantly trying to make me take benzos when I'm anxious.

I spend hours repeating myself and all everyone says is that I should go off the internet and listen to what doctor tell me because they know better than me, because they "studied". I don't know how many times I explained everything. 

I'm tired of this and tired of no one believing me.

That's what we're here for Deise, we've been there and understand what you're going through.  Dealing with family can be one of the biggest trials of tapering off of this stuff.  Believe in yourself and know that you will show them that they are wrong.

Being a male I can't really talk about the affects of BC pills and getting off of them.  I have however read a lot of threads about how ADs really cause trouble with hormones and in my mind making any big change, even when "stable" could really upset your system.

I haven't read that about smoking and blood serum levels.  It sound interesting and I will have to look into it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi brassmonkey, thanks for replying. 

As far as I've read, the effect on blood serum levels is only with fluvoxamine, which is kinda weird but I found it in more than one place and found a study about it with fluvoxamine.

What has been bothering me the most is the not feeling like myself, feeling unreal all the time, specially when out of home when there is a lot of people. I know it's probably the dp/dr, anxiety and depression, but I can't seem to shake it off.

I feel very lucky in comparison with some stories I've read here of course. My physical symptoms are not intense, I can do everything I've done before, I really have no difficulty concentrating or reading. But I am always so so sad and unlike myself, so "out of it", unreal and weird; that I don't know if it's the taper or if it's me. What if I'm going mad? What if I won't be able to get of the AD? What if I have some irreversible brain damage that will make me feel like this forever?

These questions keep swirling around in my head. I just want to feel normal, to feel like myself and to feel life has purpose and meaning again. I wake up feeling defeated every day. And it's very hard that every doctor or family member just wants me to go back on 50mg or 100mg of Luvox and take benzos...

• Moderator Emeritus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I am still struggling with extreme anxiety and depression, and dp/dr again. After 3 trips to the ER where every doctor told me to updose to 50mg again, I think I might have found someone to assist me.

He is not a doctor, but a psychologist. I had my first session with him on Tuesday. He told me to stay at the dose i am currently at and that he would help me. He was recommended to me by a mother of a friend. She had breast cancer and got depressed and put on antidepressants. Only after seeing him was she able to stop the antidepressants for good. Her daughter was also helped by him, she used to faint due to anxiety, but she was not on ADs so it's a different situation, although she took benzos to sleep and she doesn't take them anymore. I have some hope that maybe he will help me and I'll have someone to help with the AD. He told me my concerns with withdrawal were real and that it exists.

I know he is not a psychiatrist nor a doctor, but my experience until now tells me that most doctors don't exactly know what they are doing, related to mental health and psych meds. What do you think?

Wish me luck, I'm getting out of ideas to control this!

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good that you have been holding Deise since August on any further decreases.  I think your high anxiety may very well be from fairly acute withdrawal W/D.  For me it wasn't only the high anxiety but also a sense of urgency in getting relief.  I think that was just due to my nervous system trying to readapt.  And it does take time for some of us with long histories of psych medication.    So try to be patient.  You will hit a nice window soon.    If things get too unmanageable you can always updose a teeny bit.  Talk to a moderator about that if need be.  And go back and read some of the links Ccat gave you.  It really does help if you have an understanding of what is going on.  You can and will heal.  Believe it. 

It's hard to read and absorb when anxious/fearful/agitated but pay attention to when you are calm and try some of the coping mentioned here on this site.   In the symptom section.

Have you been able to find a way to liquify your medication so that when you taper more........after you stabilize...........you can go down by just 1.8mg. or 2mg.  That might really help in the future.

The only problem I ever had with seeing a psychologist was that she, like psychiatrists........liked to categorize and diagnose/label.  And then over analyze everything.  It increased my anxiety and sense of not belonging.   My preference has been for just plain therapists.......who teach coping techniques.  For me, they are more down to earth and helpful.  Maybe your psychologist will be that way though.  Go with an open mind.  You don't have to continue past a few appointments.  And great that she is encouraging you to hold until you feel more like yourself.

Okay......take care.  Miguel mentioned you on your thread so I thought I would check in with you.

Love, peace, healing/in recovery, growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for checking on me manymoretodays.

I have been feeling a little better lately during the day, but I keep waking up around 3 to 4 am with anxiety and I get a bit down when night starts to fall, don't know why :(

Does anyone know if there is a reason why I also get worse after eating? Especially when I eat a bigger meal. Is it normal?

• Moderator Emeritus

If it's W/D normal for you Deise, then it is normal.  Can you do smaller meals more frequently, instead of however you do it now, and see if it makes a difference in your feeling worse?

I don't really know technically or scientifically what is going on.  Yet excellent that you have drawn this conclusion on the big meal effect.  Because that is something you can most likely change.

And great that daytimes are a bit improved!

Best,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi everyone it's me again...

As I said before, I have been feeling less anxious and depressed, especially during the day.

But I have woken up during the night sweating and nauseous. It's a very uncomfortable sensation. At the moment it's 4 am where I live, I haven't slept yet, but I feel nauseous and my stomach is upset. It's a strange all over feeling, just nausea and weird feeling.

This doesn't happen everyday and only started around two weeks ago when I started getting better mentally. But I haven't changed doses since August...

Is it possible to get better mentally and then getting worse physically? Is it due to WD or should I check with the doctor? 

I am very confused and afraid :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone, I come here today with some good news, I think.

So my former psychiatrist retired (thank God he was awful) and today I had my first appointment with my new psychiatrist. She told me she doesn't think I have any mental disorder; that my depression and anxiety are reactive and relative to my fears and that that is solved with therapy and not medications. She said I didn't need to take antidepressants because that would take me nowhere. She referenced me for psychotherapy sessions at the hospital (not with her, with a psychologist that she says is very good).

She told me to start taking it every other day and then quit, but I told her about reducing slowly and she said that then I should keep doing as I have been doing until now and then stop when I'm ready.

It left me hopeful that I can resolve this with therapy. But at the same time I am a little afraid if it does not work.

But at least she's a psychiatrist that doesn't say I need to updose and take this for the rest of my life.

What do you guys think?

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds good Deise. 

You may still suffer with W/D symptoms though.  I don't think that your prescribing Dr. will have any understanding of withdrawal.  Most don't.  It's always good when a doctor says you are "normal"........kind of a rarity here in the U.S.A.  And understands that sometimes situational stuff can just set us back sometimes.  

Therapy won't really alleviate withdrawal.  It may help you deal with some of your neuroemotions that most likely will occur and have occurred to date.   Give you more coping skills hopefully.  I hope your psychotherapist is good.  Meantime you can start to work on some coping skills yourself too.  Look around the site. 

When do you plan to do your next taper?   Or what have you decided as far as that goes?  I did see a lot of information for you above in your journal to help guide you.  Are you going to try to do a 10 percent reduction of each dose now(instead of the original dose you once were on).  Have you been able to read some of the links above regarding liquifying and other recommendations?  I also saw many good links to help you understand W/D posted back in January.

Sounds good to me anyway.  The psychiatrist visit that declared you "normal".  :)  Now you just have to give yourself time, and educate yourself, as far as what to expect, after the 16 or so years that you have had on medication.   Learn to be your own advocate, so to speak.   Be kind and safe to yourself during this period.

Best,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays