SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Are we being lied to about brain scans?

UnfoldingSky

There's an article up today on MIA from Dr. Breggin in which he says that brain scans and neuropsych tests prove that people have suffered injury from psychiatric drugs.  (If you are in a bad way don't read the article it's upsetting.)

I've been around boards like this for almost a decade, and in all that time it seems to me that most people who have scans who show up online are told they DO NOT have damage. 

I have had several and despite really severe symptoms some of which came from suffering adverse reactions to drugs, not "just" withdrawal, was told this as well.

So what gives?  I know neuropsych tests are not nearly as reliable as they will paint them to be, so that is one thing but the scans..are we being lied to?

Or is it he sees people who are even worse off than people here tend to be?

How are they even running some of these scans on certain people?? Someone with akathisia or active TD symptoms who can't tolerate more drugs at all can't even sit still for an MRI long enough to do it properly one would think.  I don't get then how some of the worst off people could even BE scanned.

Maybe this is something that only shows up way after the initial "injury"?

Has anyone out there asked for a scan without ever accusing them of harming them with drugs who found that they had some kind of damage show up? 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Just to qualify this he says that the evidence comes mostly from those who took the drugs months to years.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I don't put much store in brain scans. It's not clear what they measure, plus the data goes through many transformations with great opportunity for confirmation bias before you see the pretty colored images.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.