SeasideDiva: My granddaughter - Schizophrenic symptoms?

SeasideDiva

My daughter just  picked up  my 26 year old granddaughter from out of town and brought her to home. She may well be suffering from schizophrenia according to her symptoms. We know she did recreational drugs some 6 or so years ago, but has since quit all those and alcohol. She says she never quite got right again after the drugs. Last she mentioned to me she was trying CBD oil  in desperation to feel better. She has a rocky home situation with an almost 4 year old boy and her son's father who loves her and seems to try hard, but is difficult to live with due to his own alcohol issues, etc.

I am in SSRI withdrawal myself [intro] and my daughter had issues years past with stopping the psyche drugs, so neither of us wants Alex to be put on the drug carousel, yet we have no idea what we are in for. We will talk later today to form a plan of some sort. I will suggest starting with a complete physical exam of course, but where from there? We know nothing about schizophrenia or the drugs commonly used.

I'm sure some of you have experienced the good bad and ugly and I would love any feedback. In just looking up the treatments I see some "shock" therapy(!) and of course drugs, drugs, drug. I am so scared for my sweet granddaughter and want to help do the right thing, BUT WHAT IS THAT?? We plan to pile a whole lotta love on her and try to keep her safe, but beyond that have no clue. 

Any insight would be appreciated!

• 64 years old. A/Ds over 20(?) years for depression, anxiety/social anxiety, last of which was Sertraline 100mg. Decided to wean off, the catalyst being the book "Moody *******" Julie Holland MD, hoping to improve my overall health (??) and dead libido (single again and re-entering the dreaded dating world) reduced to 50mg 8-6-15, 25mg 8-13-15, then stopped entirely on 8-21-16. Withdrawals with zaps, digestive issues, dizzy etc for a couple of months a week or two after stopping Now 3-24-16 still quite depressed with occasional irrational anger, and want to stay off, but wonder if it's worth it since I was at least not AS depressed (the social anxiety was never helped by the meds). Is the "cure" worse than continuing SSRIs?

• Administrator

Hi, Seaside.

Have you seen this thread?

Alternatives for psychotic outbreaks

JanCarol gives a great list of alternative resources. Definitely worth a read. She mentions Will Hall, who is a survivor himself and a therapist and he does Skype sessions. 

http://www.power2u.o.../will_hall.html

Will Hall - Consulting & Coaching

I hope she can find some help other than drugs. It's good you're looking into this for her. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much, Shep..I just saw this today. Didn't know I got a response because I didn't click the follow button which I have for certain content in the past. I'll read the info and pass it along to my daughter. I just heard yesterday that my granddaughter spent 6 days in a psyche hospital and will go live with her dad for awhile (in another state) while they sort this stuff out. I have no idea what treatment she was given in the hospital as my daughter was traumatized and exhausted from the experience herself and gave me minimal info until she and I can get together and talk about it.

My best to you!

• 64 years old. A/Ds over 20(?) years for depression, anxiety/social anxiety, last of which was Sertraline 100mg. Decided to wean off, the catalyst being the book "Moody *******" Julie Holland MD, hoping to improve my overall health (??) and dead libido (single again and re-entering the dreaded dating world) reduced to 50mg 8-6-15, 25mg 8-13-15, then stopped entirely on 8-21-16. Withdrawals with zaps, digestive issues, dizzy etc for a couple of months a week or two after stopping Now 3-24-16 still quite depressed with occasional irrational anger, and want to stay off, but wonder if it's worth it since I was at least not AS depressed (the social anxiety was never helped by the meds). Is the "cure" worse than continuing SSRIs?

• Administrator

You're welcome, Seaside.

If your granddaughter was unfortunate enough to end up on these drugs, I hope she will join SA and find information to come off. 

This list of articles from the Mad in America site may also be helpful, as MiA periodically publishes articles about getting treatment without drugs and other useful information: 

Schizophrenia and Psychosis - List of Mad in America articles

Perhaps living with her dad for awhile will be the best treatment, as it sounds like her own home life was in a stressful situation. 

It's good you're researching this for her. I hope she's feeling better soon. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks again!

I passed this info along to my daughter with whom I have not yet spoken. I read some articles on MIA and WOW. Just wow. I'm sure this will be overwhelming to my daughter too, and it'll take time for her to process and react. I worry about her too as she has had many issues in the past with depression, anxiety, etc, and we just recently reconciled after more than a year's separation. So much sorrow and strife in the world, yet so much hope with the likes of you and websites such as this and MIA. We just need to be kind to ourselves and others and hope it can somehow make a difference. 

I follow your story, too and have always found inspiration in your struggle. You have such grace and dignity. Your insights are invaluable to all of us.

Peace and continued healing to you!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy