xyz: Lexapro, my intro

xyz

• Moderator Emeritus

One day a time, one hour at a time if/when needed.  None of us know what the future holds. 

Whoever thought six months ago that we would all be in lock down caused by a tiny little virus.

9 hours ago, xyz said:

I keep running on some other posts where people said that it took them these many years to recover. That is when my level of anxiety goes up and turn into panic attacks. 

It is highly likely that this might slow down your recovery.  There are some stressors that we have no direct control over.  However this is a stressor that you have complete control over.

It may have taken another person or people years to recover but there are other that recovered sooner.

Question:  Which group do you fall into?

Answer:  Nobody knows.

But I do know that what you are doing is not a healthy way of coping with the situation you are in.  You can decide if you are going to continue causing yourself stress or if you are going to find ways to get through it.  Like the queue analogy that I posted before we still have to go through the situation but you can spend your waiting time doing yourself harm or doing things to help yourself.

It's up to you - nobody else can do it for you.

Please start posting about non drug coping techniques you are trying.  SA is an online peer support forum.  We can only do so much.  Members need to help themselves and not work against themselves.  You might benefit from seeing a counsellor or psychologist and learning coping skills.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi chessiecat,

thank you for the tough love.

i am learning to only read positive posts from now on.

i am learning to cope with anxiety and panic surges through mindfulness of breathing- it is hard i won't lie

last night, i probably spend more time meditating and doing positive affirmations than actually sleeping.

i had adrenaline surges throughout the night.

i hope it will get better with time.

i am hanging onto success stories right now.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

• Moderator Emeritus

I am really pleased to hear that you are changing your focus.

This webpage has a diagram showing what can happen to different areas of the body when we are anxious.  Knowing what the different reactions can help us to recognise what is happening sooner.  https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

One thing that I think can be helpful.  Several years ago my daughter was worried about me after my dog died.  She told me to check in with myself throughout the day to see how I was feeling so that I could reduce the stress/anxiety before it built up.  So in a similar vein I think it is helpful to use non drug calming techniques throughout the day regardless of whether you are feeling stress or anxiety.  This is how I picture it:

Waiting until it builds up:

Ooooooooo you might not be able to bring it all the way down so it might look like this Oooooooooooo

or calming through the day:

oooooooooooooooo

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I am really pleased to hear that you are changing your focus.

thank you so much ChessieCat for taking the time to write on my Thread.

Despite all my symptoms, i try to continue to live through my life.

BB forum is really scary. People talk about permanent damage... it is fear all over.
I had a panic attack the other day only after reading some posts about terrible suffering at many years out.
some people talk about changes in gene expression, that the receptors that grow back are less sensitive to gaba. Gulp!

BUT I had 2 days of nice window after a difficult day. I couldn't believe it .
I went to bed last night to prepare myself for the worst (urgent need to urinate throughout the night, panic attacks etc) but i slept okay. 7 hours. I woke up few time in panic but was able to turn back to sleep after a few minutes. I still had fast heartbeats at 2am. (I slept from 7 to 2).

I have to remind myself of this:

• I was doing very well before the setback. I meant almost 100 percent. I was sleeping 9 hours average at night. 
  • I only took 2 days of rescue dose
  • It has been more than 6 weeks

Some symptoms gone, or highly diminished : 

• Day time , day long panic attacks  seem to be gone, hope they won't come back
  • Dizziness is gone
  • Hot/cold - gone
  • DPR - gone
  • Acid like feeling on my chest- gone
  • No fear in the last day, although they might come back, afraid to jinx myself,  but I have to write it down to be objective
  • Head buzzing is gone during windows
  • Yesterday, my T was almost inaudible,  but it pick up when I have anxiety 
  • Burning is gone
  • Constant need to urinate has diminished 
  • Tingling- greatly diminished.
  • Vision issue is better

Symptoms left:

• Heart palpitations 
  • Anxiety that comes and goes. (Much lower in windows ) in the last 2 days
  • Morning anxiety but no panic in the last 2 days

I am doing pretty well if i look at what i can do:

• I can take care of my 2 small kids
  • I can work from home, I do creative work
  • I can drive 
  • I can go grocery shopping 
  • I can laugh and sing along to pop music in a window
  • I can clean my house
  • I can excited about my life
  • I can sleep okay, more than 5 hours at night in average.
  • I can walk miles and miles, I can bike miles and miles

The positive Changes of that setback

• No more caffeine whatsoever 
  • No more processed food, I only eat clean
  • Lost 13lbs
  • No more supplements, i was on 5. Now, i only take my melatonin which give me predictable sleep
  • Praying to God a lot, I bought myself a crucifix and have been saying prayers several times a day.
  • When in windows, having so much gratitude for my life
  • Adoring my husband more for his support 
  • no more sweating the small stuff in life

I have to write this down to remind myself that overall i am improving

This is progress right?  I am not jinxing myself, right?

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

On 6/10/2020 at 2:23 AM, xyz said:

This is progress right?  I am not jinxing myself, right?

YES it is very good progress.  

no such thing as jinxing yourself and whenever you have that kind of thought go right back to this (an EXCELLENT report!) 

On 6/10/2020 at 2:23 AM, xyz said:

I am doing pretty well if i look at what i can do:

• I can take care of my 2 small kids
  • I can work from home, I do creative work
  • I can drive 
  • I can go grocery shopping 
  • I can laugh and sing along to pop music in a window
  • I can clean my house
  • I can excited about my life
  • I can sleep okay, more than 5 hours at night in average.
  • I can walk miles and miles, I can bike miles and miles

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 5 weeks later...

Suicidal and reinstatement?
hi,\i am not doing well at all. i have serious suicidal ideation.

i am widthrawing from my large rescue dose of valium and the symptoms are too immense.

i have akitesia and insomnia. constant adrenal surge throughout the day and night, full body jerks, burning chest, arms and eye, scalp.

i constantly think about death as a way to end my misery.

i don't know what to do.

i was thinking of re-instating my meds at a low dosage to alleviate the symptoms. my husband thinks that it is a better solution.

please help

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Hi, I am not doing well at all. i have serious suicidal ideation.

i am widthrawing from my large rescue dose of valium and the symptoms are too immense.

i have akitesia and insomnia. constant adrenal surge throughout the day and night, full body jerks, burning chest, arms and eye, scalp, chest pain, inner trembling.

i constantly think about death as a way to end my misery. I don't want to go to the hospital.

i don't know what to do.

i was thinking of re-instating my meds at a low dosage to alleviate the symptoms. my husband thinks that it is a better solution.

please help

• Moderator Emeritus

We need to know more about what has happened since 25th May please.

Have you missed any doses of your Lexapro?

Have you made any reductions of Lexapro?  If yes, what doses and when?

Have you taken any more Xanax or Valium?

Have you stopped are started anything else; eg supplements, antihistamines for allergies, stopped or started hormone therapy of any kind?

Have you been sick?

Have you taken any antibiotics?

Have you had any major life stressors, like the death of a friend or pet?

Any major financial, work or relationship stressors?  Holidays, visitors?

Edited by ChessieCat

none of these

i have not reinstated the meds. just took the rescue doses and stopped.

i am in benzo withdrawal. it has been 3 months.

i am not doing well at all, please help.

i have bad akitasia and can't sleep- will it go away if i re-instate the valium?

• Moderator Emeritus

5 minutes ago, xyz said:

Whenever discussing drugs, please state the drug name .

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.

My personal opinion is that I think it would be risky to take any valium.

i am also borderline suicidal

• Moderator Emeritus

5 hours ago, xyz said:

Did Shep have a setback?

Are you asking if Shep ever had a setback during her time getting off drugs?

OR

Are you asking if Shep has had a recent setback because she is not posting very often at the moment?

If the latter, Shep is okay but:

On 6/12/2020 at 2:14 AM, Altostrata said:

The Benzo forum is temporarily closed to new topics. We will not be taking on new people to counsel about benzo tapering or withdrawal syndrome.

Staff is not available to answer questions in this forum. Shep has taken a leave to attend to many emergencies in her own life.

Current members of this forum can post in each others' topics to provide support.

If you require active benzo counseling, please go to Benzobuddies.org or join one of the many Facebook groups about benzo tapering and withdrawal.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Administrator
6 hours ago, xyz said:

What rescue doses? We haven't heard from you since early June.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

30 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What rescue doses? We haven't heard from you since early June.

rescue dose in april's post- sorry feeling so bad right now

• Administrator

Has anything happened since March? Have you drunk alcohol, taken antibiotics or other drugs, been staying up too late, been out in the sun?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

no, in april i had panic attack caused by MSG and was in acute for 1 week, i was suicidal , had aka., didn't sleep and took big rescue dose to calm down. it is on this thread.

i want to alleviate the symptoms and was wondering if going back on it or on lexapro at a low low dosage would help. like 0.2mg

• Administrator

I don't know. After you went off Lexapro, on 5/17/19, how did you feel?

very well, healed

i think i need to go back on 0.2mg of valium and 0.2mg of lexapro.

the obsessive thoughts are difficult

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, xyz said:

Hi, I am not doing well at all. i have serious suicidal ideation.

i have akitesia and insomnia. constant adrenal surge throughout the day and night, full body jerks, burning chest, arms and eye, scalp, chest pain, inner trembling.

i constantly think about death as a way to end my misery. I don't want to go to the hospital.

i don't know what to do.

please help

Hi,

If I understand, you felt better lately.

Since when do you have these symptoms ?

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

On 6/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, ChessieCat said:

One day a time, one hour at a time if/when needed.  None of us know what the future holds. 

Whoever thought six months ago that we would all be in lock down caused by a tiny little virus.

It is highly likely that this might slow down your recovery.  There are some stressors that we have no direct control over.  However this is a stressor that you have complete control over.

It may have taken another person or people years to recover but there are other that recovered sooner.

Question:  Which group do you fall into?

Answer:  Nobody knows.

But I do know that what you are doing is not a healthy way of coping with the situation you are in.  You can decide if you are going to continue causing yourself stress or if you are going to find ways to get through it.  Like the queue analogy that I posted before we still have to go through the situation but you can spend your waiting time doing yourself harm or doing things to help yourself.

It's up to you - nobody else can do it for you.

Please start posting about non drug coping techniques you are trying.  SA is an online peer support forum.  We can only do so much.  Members need to help themselves and not work against themselves.  You might benefit from seeing a counsellor or psychologist and learning coping skills.

I quoted the post above because it's so good and I think you should read it again. I think I need to follow the advice & that's the main reason I'm not here daily like I used to be, trying to care for myself. 

I don't know what will happen if you take more of the drugs and you don't know, either.  you hope it will help but what if it doesn't? what if it makes things worse? 

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. please take care of yourself the best you can. walk! bike!  

keep posting. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi xyz, 

How have you been going?💛

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 4 months later...

@xyz

How are you?

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.