SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Head noise and other symptoms in the head

squirrel

I would like to know if anyone else suffers from weird head symptoms. I get up every morning and my head always feels full ( like I have a bad head cold but I haven't) my vision is a bit fuzzy.My head feels like it is permanently full of concrete or a simiilar substance. I also feel spaced out.Can anyone relate to these head feelings?

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Hi Squirrel,

I am exactly the same, plus i deal with weird head pains too, it feels almost as if my head is being squeezed,

plus i have pain in the ears and my ears will just block for no good reason, its horrible, anyone else get the weird head pains!!!!!

Sometimes they are almost like stabbing head pains????

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Three days after I had my 2nd acupuncture session, when I lay down to sleep I experienced a pain in my head that was like someone cutting through my brain with a rusty knife. It was unbelievable and the worst symptoms by far.

Besides that my head is also my worst bit. Very weird symptoms off and on, mostly neck and back of my head. I hate that...sometimes feels worn.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi squirrel

thought I shoudl explain my head a bit better to you in the hope that it will help

every morning my head starts off bad and usually gets worse as the day goes on. I call it head pressure as I feel my head needs to have a hole drilled into it to let it all out, the noise in my ears is bad and this gets worse and i also have hearing my heartbeat in my ears, the left one is the worst. I have pain at the back of my head but on bad days it moves to the top and forehead, my eyes are usually blurred, why I went for the eye test and a lot of nights when I get up for a wee I cant open my eyes as they feel like they have lots of sand in them, have to keep opening and shutting them and then this gets a bit better.

My neck usually aches, and I feel so sick all the time, add the dizzy spells and odd sensations in my left leg and the hot and cold times and the prickling/itching, feeling like I am going to faint at some stage during the day and it all adds up to a nightmare that no one should have to live through. Some days its not so bad but on others I call it a foggy head, cant concentrate and cant describe the feeling of this.

My sleep is a little better now than at first but not a lot of other things are.

poodlebell

I can very much relate to ALL of the head symptoms each of you described. I've had them intensely throughout numerous psyche drug WD experiences. They are indeed horrible, painful and can be downright torturous in nature.

I used to submerged as much of my head and scalp as possible into hot/warm bath water ..... sometimes it helped a bit, while I was in the tub and for a short time afterwards. It wasn't a cure but it brought down some of the head symptoms a notch or two (for which I was grateful) since, my head symptoms were numerous and extreme.

I don't recall it helping with the sharp, painful ice-pick, stab-like pains to the skull but it did help with the extreme head pressure, headaches and other head symptoms.

The head pressure was constant, no matter what position my head was in. The mere act of talking would greatly intensify as well as any position or movement that placed my head lower than my waist-line. eg. washing out the bathtub just made a bad situation even worse.

The good news is that these symptoms do lessen in intensity, over the course of time, and eventually remit.

I'm at the stage of recovery (25th month) where I'm noticing significant improvements in this area. I know it's so hard to imagine being free when the symptoms are unrelenting but someday you will be free from this suffering.

Much More Healing to All!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Well I never, so all of this is "Normal" for us,

And of course i fell into the trap and googled and came up with brain tumours lol,

i wont be making that mistake again lol.

Thanxs Pun for your reassurance it means a lot.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Anyone else here noticed that when we have the above head symptoms and dont feel " right" in the head,

that we dont feel right or well anywhere else in our bodies either?

Hi Soso,

How does that work then???

Just curious.

Thank you SoSo will do.

What I hate most is that my symptoms are close to always different. Day one a pain in the back of my head, on the next day some hours of dizziness with a pressure feeling on the sides of my skull and on the third day my neck does not feel right. Do you experience the same or are you symptoms mostly identical every day?

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Maybe,

How you doing buddy???

No mine differ too, as you say some days dizziness, some days head pressure and other times just stabbing pains intermingled,

really awful most of the time though, so i sympathise with you. Guess there is loads about weird head symptoms, but havent heard the head pain

mentioned and wondered if others had this too, as some of these symptoms are scary!!!!!

Hey Angie,

as I said, differs from day to day :)

Some ok days and some not so good ones.

My symptoms mostly change during the course of hours, not days. Only if I had a very stressful event, I may have some days of feeling bad. So this kinda seems like an improvement.

Hey maybe,

That's fantastic news, and sounds like signs of some definate improvements with you,

Im really happy and have fingers crossed that all continues to go really well for you.

Hey to think this may be the turning point, bet your thrilled !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I often thought that I had turned the corner before, but it wasn't so. I am not too optimistic :)

The weekend was really bad, so as long as I have no days without any symptoms, I doubt that I am close to recovery.

Enjoy each better day buddy and never say never, recovery does happen, and you sure deserve it sooner

rather than later, we all do, i have it all crossed for you anyway, good luck and all the best my friend.

Oh i understand that pessimism too, but dont let it spoil your better days !!!!

Hi,

7 months after the effexor CT, I'm dizzy all the time, feeling of having drunk too much, I also have brain "zapp" frsometime I feel off balance, it hurts to the head.

I HAVE THE HEAD SYMPTOMS TOO!!! I thought I was the only one, but when I found this thread, I wanted to should it from the rooftops!

Squirrel, every single day, my head, particularly the LEFT side of my head feels like it is heavy, knotted, filled with concrete. I also have a slight rushing noise in my left ear, which I think has improved over the last year, but it is not gone yet. These are just a FEW of my symptoms...I am dealing with many more presently.

I long for the day when this is all over!

Zoloft 50mg for 7.5 years

Developed akathisia while on the drug Dec. 2009

Severe withdrawal/damage

Drug-free since May 5, 2011

• Administrator

Has anyone in this topic tried omega-3 fish oil capsules?

People say it helps brain zaps, maybe it can help these other head symptoms too? It's supposed to be an analgesic (pain relief) and it's good for nerves.

I didn't find out about it until my brain zaps were over (6 months), but when I did start taking it, I found it was a relief.

You have to take quite a bit, see Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I took two spoons of line seed oil per day for some months in 2010 until my stomach suddenly reacted badly to it. Never took it again since. No idea if it helped me.

Aside from dizziness, one of the symptoms I was having a lot before was a dull headache and feeling like I had a fever and couldn't think... I can't describe it exactly, because it wasn't like a stabbing pain, but more of an irritated discomfort that just made me unable to work or enjoy anything. I kept taking my temperature but I wouldn't have a fever. It mostly happened near the end of the day.

Lately it's mostly gone away, except for moments (I think when I get too exhausted or overstimulated). At least it's not something I get every day... and one thing I DID change is that I'm taking two capsules of fish oils 3 times a day instead of 3 capsules just in the morning. I think walking in the mornings has helped as well.

It's funny to read about the stabbing pains and electric-like shocks in the head. I have not had those since I was taking ADs, but I used to get them randomly. Only now am I starting to think there was a connection with taking the ADs!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

was taking cod liver oil for a few months till my symptoms ramped up so I stopped them thinking it may be them that caused it.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Hey squirrel,

For some suppliments can be too stimulating and escalate wd symptoms, if it is the cod liver oil it should

settle down if you leave it off, its the only sure way to know for certain, why this has ramped up for you.

• 3 months later...

I didn't see a topic about this, but I know we all experience the brain zaps to one extent or another.

Up until this last dose drop, I've had brain zaps off and on at night. But since this last drop, I'm not having zaps, I'm having weird sounds. Like whooshing, whirling, wind sounds through my head. Very bizarre.

Does anyone else experience head noise with drops, and do they recede as your body gets used to the drops?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I'm also waking every morning with Tinnitus. It goes along with the headache and stuffed nose I think. I do take Calcarea Carbonica first thing in the morning and it always works to stop the tinnitus, but not the headache.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi Shanti;

I have what I guess I'd call tinnitis especially at night. It is kind of odd because it has a rhythm to it - it sounds like I can hear my heart beating and I guess maybe I can. I know it changes and I have pretty much tracked it as worsening in the several days after a taper. I think that, like the other bizarre things we experience it will likely resolve over time. I used to feel frightened about some of the symptoms but at this point I am getting to where some of them I just have to shrug. Please know that you aren't the only one with this. As always, I find I am in good company!

xxxx

Hi Shanti;

I have what I guess I'd call tinnitis especially at night. It is kind of odd because it has a rhythm to it - it sounds like I can hear my heart beating and I guess maybe I can. I know it changes and I have pretty much tracked it as worsening in the several days after a taper. I think that, like the other bizarre things we experience it will likely resolve over time. I used to feel frightened about some of the symptoms but at this point I am getting to where some of them I just have to shrug. Please know that you aren't the only one with this. As always, I find I am in good company!

Thank you Crocus. That was encouraging. I know from reading alot that many have these issues, but I didn't see much about it here. I think it's because most of us that end up here have already been at other places discussing it. Just when I get used to one symptom, another new one appears! When you're brain is doing such crazy stuff at night, there's always this little fear for me that I won't wake up in the morning, and if I do, I might be retarded.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 1 year later...

I have head issues BIG TIME!

Left side head pain, occasional zap (getting less and but im over 6 months off c/t of lexapro) PRESSURE, and now I am getting what is apperently migraines??? never have had them before now and I am 34!!

Anyone still have DAILY 24/7 head symptoms this far out??

thanks guys

• Moderator Emeritus

3 months since last attempt to get off Effexor, and my head constantly feels strange or off in some way or another. I'm more or less used to it by now.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 1 year later...

I have the head symptoms. And the hearing/feeling pulsing in my head particularly on the left side. Scary

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I have the head symptoms. And the hearing/feeling pulsing in my head particularly on the left side. Scary

I used to have the pulsating sensation along with tinnitus constantly when I was on the meds and during withdrawal.   Fortunately, the pulsing disappeared but the tinnitus didn't unfortunately.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I used to have the pulsating sensation along with tinnitus constantly when I was on the meds and during withdrawal.   Fortunately, the pulsing disappeared but the tinnitus didn't unfortunately.

Compsports, when did this pulsating stop for you? I still have at times severe pressure, pains and stabs in my head, headaches, feeling full of cement and even head rushes upon standing or quick movements and laying down in bed. Fortunately I've been having breaks from all this finally in the last few months. But am always disappointed to see them return like now. Did yours just stop for good all at once?

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Compsports, when did this pulsating stop for you? I still have at times severe pressure, pains and stabs in my head, headaches, feeling full of cement and even head rushes upon standing or quick movements and laying down in bed. Fortunately I've been having breaks from all this finally in the last few months. But am always disappointed to see them return like now. Did yours just stop for good all at once?

lmac, unfortunately my memory is horrible and as a result, I don't remember.   But yes it did finally stop for good.  

I am sorry you are suffering so much and I hope things improve for you soon.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I had one symptom that stopped me getting off ads for 40 years it was a seething burning pain in the head and I always had to go back on because I thought it was never going to stop I was very lucky to meet a lady from a well known clinic and told me that they were cluster headache and that they would go if I could hold out thank God she was right and I've now been off nearly 7 months of course I'm still suffering but nothing can be as bad as those headaches so I know I will recover whatever and now I have the help of this wonderful site

I was originally on 350 mils doxepin started in1975 through the years I tapered down to 100 mils

I stayed on this dose for many years

I have now been off for 7 months ago

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy